PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC: Nuclear Power Plant Shuts Down Due To South FL Power Outage

jAZ
02-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Think about that for a second.

http://cbs4.com/local/FPL.power.electricity.2.663084.html

Feb 26, 2008 2:00 pm US/Eastern

Florida Hit With Major Power Outages

MIAMI (CBS4) ― CBS4 has learned that a substation equipment failure may have tripped two FPL power generator units Tuesday afternoon, creating a domino effect in the South Florida power grid which caused a massive outage along the east coast, from the Daytona Beach area into Monroe County.

CBS4's Michael Williams says FPL sources told him the failure was likely the reason for the failure, but FPL is still trying to determining the cause of the failure.

Florida Power & Light is reporting massive power outages throughout South Florida, including Miami, Doral, Westchester, and Pembroke Pines. Reports of outages extended into Palm Beach, and across the state of Florida.

The outage hit shortly after 1 p.m., and at first appeared to be a local issue in South Florida. However, calls from across the state south of Orlando started complaining of power problems, and the scope of the problem quickly widened.

The Miami-Dade Police Department said it is hearing that FPL is experiencing a massive transmission failure from Daytona Beach to Miami.

CNN reports some areas of Palm Beach county are without power.

The Florida Highway Patrol office in Doral, west of Miami, learned of the problem the way most people did, when the lights went out. Spokesman Lt. Pat Santangelo said the regional office does have telephone service, and troopers are still on patrol.

Santangelo warned that many traffic lights were darkened by the outage, and urged drivers to treat them as 4-way stops to prevent accidents.

Troopers were reporting widespread signal failures.

The port of Miami, one of the largest cruise ship ports in the world, was without power, but most cruise ships are not in port on Tuesday.

The power problems apparently had an effect on Miami-Dade's Metrorail system, with trains stalled at the Civic Center station, and the downtown MetroMover system system has been idled.

No outages were reported at South Florida airports.
Miami-Dade Public Schools said schools have been locked-down, meaning children will be kept in their classrooms and parents will not be allowed to pick them up.

Some Broward County schools were without power, but a similar lockdown is not in effect there.

City of Miami Fire Rescue said nearly half a million people in the city of Miami have been left without power.

chagrin
02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
EDIT - Nuclear power, ok nevermind

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Dammit Carl!!!!!!!!!

FloridaMan88
02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I just spent the past 40 minutes trapped in an elevator! Unreal

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-26-2008, 01:57 PM

:LOL:

chasedude
02-26-2008, 01:59 PM
CBS4's Michael Williams says FPL sources told him the failure was likely the reason for the failure, but FPL is still trying to determining the cause of the failure.

WTF is this supposed to mean??

EDIT.. I get it, failure to communicate

Bowser
02-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Floridians should get a bunch of rafts and float to Cuba.

Jenson71
02-26-2008, 02:00 PM

It's like an Escher drawing.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-26-2008, 02:01 PM

It means some psyco in an elevator mashed the wrong button!

Iowanian
02-26-2008, 02:05 PM

A lot of penthouse letters begin like that...

Those poor, poor south floridians. I sure hope they can survive a few hours in those arctic 80 degree temperatures without the spotlights on the lawn flamingos. I'd sure hate for Bambi and Muffi to miss their appointments in the tanning bed.

MIAdragon
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Floridians should get a bunch of rafts and float to Cuba.

The tides wrong this time of year.

MIAdragon
02-26-2008, 04:06 PM
A lot of penthouse letters begin like that...

Those poor, poor south floridians. I sure hope they can survive a few hours in those arctic 80 degree temperatures without the spotlights on the lawn flamingos. I'd sure hate for Bambi and Muffi to miss their appointments in the tanning bed.

Dude it was HOT today, no power means no ac and that means swamp ass and NO ONE wants swamp ass.

Megbert
02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Dude it was HOT today, no power means no ac and that means swamp ass and NO ONE wants swamp ass.

If some people like "2 Girls 1 Cup" there has to be some that like em some swamp ass.