PDA

View Full Version : Gholston = Merri man

Mr. Laz
02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
without the roids?

Name: *Vernon Gholston
College: Ohio State (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/college.php?DSTeamId=37&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC) Number: 50
Height: 6-4 Weight: 258
Position: DE (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=DE&draftyear=2008&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC) Pos2: OLB
Class/Draft Year: rJr/2008 (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=DE&draftyear=2008&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC)
40 Time: 4.64
bench press - 37
Vertical - 35 1/2
Broad - 10'4"

Name: *Shawne Merri man
College: Maryland (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/college.php?DSTeamId=5&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC) Number: 45
Height: 6-4 Weight: 272
Position: DE (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=DE&draftyear=2005&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC) Pos2: ILB
Class/Draft Year: Jr/2005 (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=DE&draftyear=2005&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC)
40 Time: 4.68

<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="630"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" background="images/mcfback.jpg" height="25" width="315">Combine Results
</td> <td colspan="2" background="images/mcfback.jpg" height="25" width="315"> Pro Day Results
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#f3f3f3" valign="top" width="25%"> Combine Invite? Yes
Height: 6043
Weight: 272
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
Wonderlic: 19
</td> <td bgcolor="#f3f3f3" valign="top" width="25%">225 Lb. Bench Reps: 25
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

</td> <td bgcolor="#fff2f3" valign="top" width="25%"> Dates: 03/16/2005
Height: 6043
Weight: 272
40 Yrd Dash: 4.64
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
</td> <td bgcolor="#fff2f3" valign="top" width="25%">225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 40
Broad Jump: 10'1"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.21
3-Cone Drill: </td></tr></tbody></table>

Mr. Laz
02-27-2008, 01:38 PM
In 34 games at Ohio State, Gholston started 25 times. He registered 87 tackles (47 solo) with 22.5 sacks for minus-184 yards and 30.5 stops for losses of 199 yards. He had two pass deflections and an eight-yard interception return, as he also recovered a fumble that he returned 25 yards for a touchdown.

pikesome
02-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Maybe Gholston hasn't gotten caught yet? I mean, hasn't taken tampered supplements yet.

And no, I don't have any real reason to think he's (Gholston) taking anything,

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 01:50 PM
I said this in another post, but I think the Chiefs are hoping Gholston is there when we pick-I think he's our target.

Chiefmanwillcatch
02-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Chiefs must take him or Ellis.

I don't want to be in that draft room if JAKE isn't available.

cadmonkey
02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Don't you guys have a much bigger issue on the OLine to worry about before you start looking at linebackers?

Coogs
02-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I'd rather wait until next draft and get George Selvie from South Florida.

Coogs
02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Selvie Has Become USF's Grinch
ADVERTISEMENT
The Tampa Tribune

Published: October 14, 2007

Updated: 10/13/2007 11:55 pm

TAMPA - You have to go pretty far back to find the last time someone got the better of George Selvie, the South Florida defensive end and pass-rushing hellcat who leads the nation in sacks.

Certainly it wasn't Saturday, as Selvie and South Florida annihilated Central Florida, 64-12. How'd this game get on the schedule, anyway?

Saturday was more of the same for the third-year sophomore and All-American candidate, including a true ESPN moment, a lightning-quick strike where Selvie forced a fumble by knocking the ball loose during a handoff exchange. He beat the runner to the quarterback.

That's fast.

'George is the man right now,' Bulls offensive lineman Walter Walker said.

But one night ...

It happened last season during USF's trip to the Papajohns.com Bowl. The Bulls took a trip to a Birmingham comedy club, where a comedian-hypnotist talked some players onto the stage and made them very, very sleepy.

George was one.

'The guy had George pretending to be the Grinch,' USF receiver Taurus Johnson said. You know, the one who stole Christmas. George even wore a little Grinch hat.

'George is up there, slinking around corners, pretending to steal presents,' Johnson said.

'Yes, it happened,' Selvie said. 'I didn't believe it until I saw the film.'

'He's still a Grinch,' Walker said. 'George is making off with all the sacks.'

All-American Season

Six games into a still perfect USF season, with the first BCS standings due out today, and Selvie, undersized, all arms, legs and size 14 feet, is standing tall.

You want yards?

He wants you.

Grinch indeed.

USF has never had a Division I-A All-American. Selvie is on track. He's in everyone's backfield. Saturday, on the game's second play, he had a sack. That's 11 1/2 for the season. He finished with four tackles for loss for 21 1/2 on the season, breaking a USF record. And there's half a season left.

And to think, this kid came from Pensacola as a center.

It's true. Until USF coaches said otherwise, Selvie dreamed of seeing the college football world from between his legs. Now it's at his feet.

'It's good leading the nation in sacks,' Selvie said.

Selvie is a perfect kid for USF coach Jim Leavitt. He doesn't flap his gums and has come from nowhere to the top of the mountain, just like the Bulls.

The 6-foot-4 Selvie doesn't even look like a pass rusher. He weighs 230 pounds. Though he benches 375 pounds, the guys he faces are always bigger.

'There are quarterbacks who weigh more than me,' Selvie said with a grin.

He makes up for that.

'He's explosive and fast,' USF defensive line coach Dan McCarney said.

One more thing.

'He's relentless,' Leavitt said.

'You've got to be relentless,' Selvie said.

It's good being relentless.

He only played one year of defensive line in high school, and then only on third down. He has learned moves from USF teammates and watches guys he likes in the NFL. He has a favorite.

'Dwight Freeney on the Colts,' Selvie said. 'I just like the way he plays. He hit a double move the other night. Wow, I wish I could do that. My legs are kind of long ... I might trip over my feet ... but one day you might see a double spin.'

Selvie made a name late last season in USF's upset at West Virginia with eight tackles and a fumble return for a touchdown. The key to that game, he insists, was West Virginia fans making fun of his mother by name.

'That was it,' Selvie said. 'It was on.'

It still is.

Rutgers Awaits

UCF was no match for the Bulls. The Knights gained only 145 yards, getting only 55 from Kevin Smith, who was the nation's leading rusher.

The order gets taller on Thursday night. USF travels to Rutgers for a nationally televised game, and another look at Rutgers runner Ray Rice, who put 202 yards on USF last season in Tampa.

Rutgers could remake its season with a win over USF. It could steal some headlines from Leavitt's thundering herd.

George Selvie can't wait to watch Rutgers film. The only film he can do without is that hypnotist thing last year.

'I don't need to see that anymore,' Selvie said.

He still has his arms filled with sacks.

It's good to be the Grinch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is his freshman stats...

2006: Started all 13 games at right end and led all linemen (third overall on team) with 84 tackles, 15 for loss and 5.5 sacks...Eight tackles, including 3.5 for loss, a nine-yard TD recovery and a forced fumble in the WVU (Nov. 25) win...Season-high 10 tackles at Cincinnati (Oct. 22)...Two sacks vs. Florida International (Sept. 9)... Nine tackles in wins over FIU (Sept. 9) and North Carolina (Oct. 14)...USF’s Defensive Rookie of the Year....2005: Used redshirt season...Won USF’s Overachiever Award for his outstanding work in strength and conditioning program.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Don't you guys have a much bigger issue on the OLine to worry about before you start looking at linebackers?Elite players are what the Chiefs need. The Chiefs are just now laying the foundation, we can and SHOULD pick any player at any position and be better at the position, than we were prior to the draft. Gholston is elite, the Chiefs reaching for someone like Clady at number five would be one of the biggest mistakes we could make. Always take best player, unless you are stockpiled at the position, obviously the Chiefs aren't. Gholston is a top five player and should be drafted accordingly. The Pats aren't getting our player-you released Colvin too fast-tough shit.:D

Brock
02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Don't you guys have a much bigger issue on the OLine to worry about before you start looking at linebackers?

Did you pay any attention to how your team was built?

pikesome
02-27-2008, 02:50 PM

With video tape and HGH.

Bill S Preston
02-27-2008, 02:56 PM
http://photo.the-ozone.net/photos/2007_2008/Football/07-09-22-FB-0045.jpg

All natural.....

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
He's a walking Roid!!! But I want him to be a Chief1

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Imagine getting him and netting high draft round picks for Jared Allen or bookending the two. I'm leaning towards Gholston as the best pick for the Chiefs at 5.

Chiefnj2
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLWQOLHazz4

A few highlights from the BCS Championship game. Watch at the 46 second mark where I believe Gholston (at RE) is getting pancaked by a WR in a goal line situation. At the 1:00 mark (at LE) he looks like Eric Hicks.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Gholston cant play LB for us...he is too heavy. He runs a 4.68....DJ ran a 4.52.

If he is selected he would be a replacement of JA (which means he is getting traded). Other than that, he would be a backup. not going to happen. Essentially the choice would be JA or Gholston...not both with top 5 money.

i disagree completely, Mr. Voyager.

i don't think he would ever be used as a LB for us in the first place.

on passing downs, we would use JA on one end and Gholston on the other.

Depend on how well gholston played the run he would rotate in with Tamba Hali.

i haven't seen anything from Hali to suggest that he's an impact starter yet.

bowener
02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Merriman plays LB pretty well and he runs slower than that...... but i think we see what you are saying.

bowener
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM

I agree with this some what. I could see us keeping Hali and Allen at end as well, with VG blitzing off the edge or up the gut like merriman does for SD on passing downs. I kind of like the idea of playing him as a LB if he could do it.

beach tribe
02-27-2008, 07:12 PM
"roidman" Merriman plays LB pretty well and he runs slower than that...... but i think we see what you are saying.

We do not play 3-4.

beach tribe
02-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I agree with this some what. I could see us keeping Hali and Allen at end as well, with VG blitzing off the edge or up the gut like "roidman" Merriman does for SD on passing downs. I kind of like the idea of playing him as a LB if he could do it.

See above.

keg in kc
02-27-2008, 07:20 PM
I think we should take him in the first, and a DT in the second, and then maybe another DT in the third. In fact, we shouldn't ever draft anything but defensive linemen on day 1.

Logical
02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I agree with this some what. I could see us keeping Hali and Allen at end as well, with VG blitzing off the edge or up the gut like "roidman" Merriman does for SD on passing downs. I kind of like the idea of playing him as a LB if he could do it.While I agree with you about Hali, man drafting a player for only passing downs seems like a luxury we cannot afford. But then again we have LJ who must come out on critical passing downs for the offense, so why not.:rolleyes:

Chiefnj2
02-27-2008, 07:37 PM

8 sacks his rookie year is a pretty big impact.

bowener
02-27-2008, 08:21 PM
See above.

I know nothing of him really. I meant was if he was a LB have him be our roid boy and blitz on passing downs. He would still be a LB on the rest of the plays though... but like I stipulated, only if he could play it.

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 08:33 PM
8 sacks his rookie year is a pretty big impact.

He was 5th in the league amongst all defensive linemen in forced fumbles as well...

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Hali would move inside-It's not a problem in the least. Keg, I understand, we have other needs, but VALUE, VALUE, VALUE is what the draft is all about. If Long is gone(pun intended) drafting O-line at 5 is insane and a trade down is out of the question for a team looking for an identity and devoid of talent.

Chiefnj2
02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Nobody is concerned about Gholston against the run?

bowener
02-27-2008, 08:47 PM
I have to admit I wouldnt mind being the 2001 Ravens reincarnate if we chose that as our Identity. Hopefully if we did that we could find some O before 6 years had passed though.

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Nobody is concerned about Gholston against the run?

No more than I was concerned about Jared Allen his first 2 years, or Hali now...

TRR
02-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I absolutely hate the idea of drafting Gholston at #5. I don't believe he can be an effective LB in the Cover 2 scheme at his weight and speed, and with as many needs as KC has, you can't wrap up that much money on 3 DE's. The only way I would be in favor of Gholston is if Jared Allen was traded for two first round picks...

And to think Hali hasn't been productive in his first two seasons is ridiculous. He has been a very solid player, and will get better (and healthier) in year 3 and beyond.

suds79
02-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I absolutely hate the idea of drafting Gholston at #5. I don't believe he can be an effective LB in the Cover 2 scheme at his weight and speed, and with as many needs as KC has, you can't wrap up that much money on 3 DE's. The only way I would be in favor of Gholston is if Jared Allen was traded for two first round picks...

And to think Hali hasn't been productive in his first two seasons is ridiculous. He has been a very solid player, and will get better (and healthier) in year 3 and beyond.

:clap::clap::clap:

The guy has a monster workout at the combine and now all of a sudden everybody and their mom wants him here.

Outside of the Giants, I would argue that no other team has a better starting pair of DEs.... and people want us to take another DE with all our needs in other spots. :rolleyes:

Chiefnj2
02-27-2008, 09:01 PM
No more than I was concerned about Jared Allen his first 2 years, or Hali now...

I don't recall seeing Hali or Allen getting pancaked by WR's. Neither was a top 5 pick either.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM

Again, Hali can MOVE to the INSIDE, but just in case you think Gholston doesn't have coverage skills, here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lzbj1xdBSw&feature=related

beach tribe
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM

I think we should forget about this guy. Is he bad ass? Yes. in a 3-4.

Why spend a pick this high on a player who will be situational for us.

It makes no sense. move along, nothing to see here.

beach tribe
02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Again, Hali can MOVE to the INSIDE, but just in case you think Gholston doesn't have coverage skills, here you go...

Are you serious?

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

The guy has a monster workout at the combine and now all of a sudden everybody and their mom wants him here.

Outside of the Giants, I would argue that no other team has a better starting pair of DEs.... and people want us to take another DE with all our needs in other spots. :rolleyes:

First of all, people here were talking about Gholston as our pick in JANUARY, well before the combine.

And second, the Giants have THREE high-dollar defensive ends, plus Matthias Kiwanuka.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Some of you just don't get it, he's the best player available if he's there at 5. He will start and so will Jared Allen and Tamba Hali all at the same time to think otherwise is just not seeing the big picture.

This is the GROUND floor for the Chiefs- we need help at EVERY position.

BTW, Gholston has always been considered by those in the know as a top 10 pick, PRIOR to the combine.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Are you serious?
Dude, was he playing on the line? NO, he was in COVERAGE. He played BOTH LBer AND DE at Ohio State.

TRR
02-27-2008, 09:09 PM

Hali struggles against the run at DE. He can't move to the inside and play DT???

Also, why take a situational pass rusher at #5??

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Hali struggles against the run at DE. He can't move to the inside and play DT???

He played inside at PSU and when he was drafted, Gunther and Herm both talked at length about wanting to use him inside.

As to your second question, we took DT at #4.

TRR
02-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Some of you just don't get it, he's the best player available if he's there at 5. He will start and so will Jared Allen and Tamba Hali all at the same time to think otherwise is just not seeing the big picture.

This is the GROUND floor for the Chiefs- we need help at EVERY position.

BTW, Gholston has always been considered by those in the know as a top 10 pick, PRIOR to the combine.

OLB isn't a need for KC at #5. Offensive Tackle and Defensive Tackle are needs at #5. Derrick Johnson and Donnie Edwards could play at a very high level for the next several years. It just doesn't make sense.

TRR
02-27-2008, 09:14 PM
He played inside at PSU and when he was drafted, Gunther and Herm both talked at length about wanting to use him inside.

As to your second question, we took DT at #4.

I understand that. But that was two years ago. I think everyone should be fairly familiar with Hali's game...And there is no way he should play a snap at DT.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
OLB isn't a need for KC at #5. Offensive Tackle and Defensive Tackle are needs at #5. Derrick Johnson and Donnie Edwards could play at a very high level for the next several years. It just doesn't make sense.
Drafting for need gets you Ryan Sims.

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:17 PM

Expecting Donnie Edwards to play at a high level NEXT year is somewhat risky, let alone the next several. Guys at his age can break down suddenly and rapidly.

TRR
02-27-2008, 09:17 PM

Now that's just dumb. You can't possibly compare a player like Glen Dorsey or Jake Long to Ryan Sims.

Dumb point...

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
I understand that. But that was two years ago. I think everyone should be fairly familiar with Hali's game...And there is no way he should play a snap at DT.

Not right now, no. But if there was a speed rusher coming on that same side, it changes everything. Having Allen, Hali, and Gholston on the field at the same time opens up several unique zone blitz opportunities...

TRR
02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Expecting Donnie Edwards to play at a high level NEXT year is somewhat risky, let alone the next several. Guys at his age can break down suddenly and rapidly.

The way Edwards takes care of himself....I can't see that happening. year from year, you don't know. But he hasn't lost a single step.

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Now that's just dumb. You can't possibly compare a player like Glen Dorsey or Jake Long to Ryan Sims.

Dumb point...

Of course not. But is that really what's being advocated? Assume Dorsey and Long are both gone, then what? Trade down instead of taking a guy like Gholston? I don't think so.

Chiefnj2
02-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Sorry, but an INT on a pass that bounces off the hands of a Bowling Green receiver isn't the best proof of coverage skills.

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
The way Edwards takes care of himself....I can't see that happening. year from year, you don't know. But he hasn't lost a single step.

He could play for 3 or 4 more years. Or he could decide tomorrow that he's not gonna take the punishment anymore. You just can't count on production from guys his age. When they give it, you thank them for it. But you can't expect it.

Chiefnj2
02-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Sims was universally rated as a top DT. Almost everyone had him and Henderson as the #1 and #2 DTs; just like Ellis and Dorsey this year.

TRR
02-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Of course not. But is that really what's being advocated? Assume Dorsey and Long are both gone, then what? Trade down instead of taking a guy like Gholston? I don't think so.

It all depends on what KC can get by trading down. Also, it depends on what you think of a player like Sedrick Ellis or even Matt Ryan. Ellis definitely is more of a need, and depending on Croyle, Ryan could be the answer.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Donnie Edwards couldn't even play at a high level last year and you expect him to kick ass for several more? We should have never even re-signed Donnie, that said, you're looking at Gholston all wrong, you can line him up anywhere and blitz the QB on every down. He's not a situational player-think a stronger Terrell Suggs who plays the run better. I honestly think the D.T. comparasions are very accurate or Lawrence Taylor. Could we make room for a D.T. clone on our roster? You tell me.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
It all depends on what KC can get by trading down. Also, it depends on what you think of a player like Sedrick Ellis or even Matt Ryan. Ellis definitely is more of a need, and depending on Croyle, Ryan could be the answer.Matt Ryan sucks as a top 5 pick. If we draft him at 5 overall, consider me for putting us down for 4-12 again. The Falcons will either take McFadden or TRADE DOWN for Matt Ryan.

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:28 PM
It all depends on what KC can get by trading down. Also, it depends on what you think of a player like Sedrick Ellis or even Matt Ryan. Ellis definitely is more of a need, and depending on Croyle, Ryan could be the answer.

This is only my opinion, but I think this draft is VERY top-heavy.

For me, it's not about what KC can get by trading down, it's about what they CAN'T get.

One of the 6 or 7 elite players in this draft.

TRR
02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Donnie Edwards couldn't even play at a high level last year and you expect him to kick ass for several more? We should have never even re-signed Donnie, that said, you're looking at Gholston all wrong, you can line him up anywhere and blitz the QB on every down. He's not a situational player-think a stronger Terrell Suggs who plays the run better. I honestly think the D.T. comparasions are very accurate or Lawrence Taylor. Could we make room for a D.T. clone on our roster? You tell me.

Are you serious? Donnie Edwards had 106 tackles last season with 2 sacks, a fumble force, and an INT. He played very well last season.

I'm looking at Gholston for what he is...A tweaner that hasn't been asked to be in coverage much (which is exactly what he will be doing all the time in Gun's scheme), and ANOTHER DE that will command top dollar when we already have two that command enough money.

No thank you...

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Sorry, but an INT on a pass that bounces off the hands of a Bowling Green receiver isn't the best proof of coverage skills.
It CLEARLY shows that he LINES UP TO PLAY PASS COVERAGE-some don't act like he can so I provided the link showing something to the contrary.

Forget the INT., the point I'm making is he's a versatile player, who excels at pass coverage AND getting to the QB. The guy can do it all.

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Are you serious? Donnie Edwards had 106 tackles last season with 2 sacks, a fumble force, and an INT. He played very well last season.

I'm looking at Gholston for what he is...A tweaner that hasn't been asked to be in coverage much (which is exactly what he will be doing all the time in Gun's scheme), and ANOTHER DE that will command top dollar when we already have two that command enough money.

No thank you...

Gholston isn't a tweener at all. He's a DE. A bit undersized, but a pure DE.

And dollars shouldn't ever be an issue. It wasn't for the Giants...

TRR
02-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Gholston isn't a tweener at all. He's a DE. A bit undersized, but a pure DE.

And dollars shouldn't ever be an issue. It wasn't for the Giants...

You keep bringing up the Giants...But the fact of the matter is, the Giants weren't in a rebuilding mode when they decided to do that. They didn't need 3 offensive lineman, a stud DT, a starting CB, or a WR. You can't draft ANOTHER DE WHEN DE IS NOT AN ISSUE.

We will just agree to disagree. All I know is that I am glad your not making any draft decisions on April 26th.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Sims was universally rated as a top DT. Almost everyone had him and Henderson as the #1 and #2 DTs; just like Ellis and Dorsey this year.Yes, but he wasn't rated as a top six player. Bryant McKinnie was and now look at the two. That's my point when you draft for need you are more apt to picking a bust. ALWAYS draft the best player available unless you are stockpiled with quality depth-we clearly aren't.
WE could have had Bryant McKinnie all these years and had a great LT of the future, but now we have a defunct DT playing in a completely different city playing for what's probably his last shot in the NFL. See the difference?

Mecca
02-27-2008, 09:41 PM

If you think Gholston is nothing more than a situational pass rusher I fear for your talent evaluating skills....

Guess the Giants shouldn't have re-signed Justin Tuck to that 30 million dollar deal since he's nothing more than a "situational backup DE"

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 09:47 PM

No thank you...
Donnie had a great season stat wise, but he slowed way down toward the end of the year-he's slowing down and shouldn't be counted on as a long-term solution when in rebuilding mode. Besides that, I'm advocating taking Gholston as a DE who could line up in the falcon for us from time to time. Edwards has little to do with the discussion, but since we are discussing it, I felt the need to clarify.

Also, Gholston would become one of the top two players on our defense-how in the Hell do just shrug that off as insignifigant?

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:52 PM
You keep bringing up the Giants...But the fact of the matter is, the Giants weren't in a rebuilding mode when they decided to do that. They didn't need 3 offensive lineman, a stud DT, a starting CB, or a WR. You can't draft ANOTHER DE WHEN DE IS NOT AN ISSUE.

We will just agree to disagree. All I know is that I am glad your not making any draft decisions on April 26th.

We were 4-12. ANY player that can potentially change a game should be an option. You can never have too many elite pass rushers.

The Giants were 4-12 in Fassel's last season, 2003. Despite having just drafted Osi Umenyora and already having Michael Strahan on the roster, Tom Coughlin drafted FOUR defesnive ends in the next 3 drafts, including Tuck and Kiwanuka.

They had needs along the offensive line, just like we do and yet they did exactly what you said they shouldn't do.

suds79
02-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Honestly if we were going to draft another D-linemen, I'd much rather us take Ellis.

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Free agency is for needs, draft is to get the most talented football players on your roster.

Mecca
02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Gholston is another DeMarcus Ware, for anyone to justify that we couldn't use that or he'd sit behind Tamba Hali is pretty much a joke in my view.

htismaqe
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Honestly if we were going to draft another D-linemen, I'd much rather us take Ellis.

I would too.

But let's just assume Dorsey and Ellis are gone as well as Jake Long.

Are you really gonna pass on a talent like Gholston solely because he's a DE?

Mecca
02-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Gholston may very well be the best player in this draft......he's at worst top 3.

suds79
02-27-2008, 10:03 PM
I would too.

But let's just assume Dorsey and Ellis are gone as well as Jake Long.

Are you really gonna pass on a talent like Gholston solely because he's a DE?

If those 3 guys are gone then I definitely take Matt Ryan.

We've got to have a backup plan if (or more likely when) Brodie gets injured.

...Besides, I think one of those 3 guys will be there when the Chiefs draft anyways so it's a moot point.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2008, 10:07 PM

We've got to have a backup plan if (or more likely when) Brodie gets injured.REACH.:mad: Matt Ryan has bust written all over him so let's give him a HUGE SIGNING BONUS and give him a third-world O-line to block for him.

suds79
02-27-2008, 10:10 PM
REACH.:mad: Matt Ryan has bust written all over him so let's give him a HUGE SIGNING BONUS and give him a third-world O-line to block for him.

he might be a bust but so might every other guy in the draft.

Do you have the winning lotto #s also?

As far as the third-world O-line, that's what the rest of the draft is for anyways. It'd be no different if we took Gholston in the 1st.... we'd have to spend the other picks on O-line.

Mecca
02-27-2008, 10:14 PM
he might be a bust but so might every other guy in the draft.

Do you have the winning lotto #s also?

As far as the third-world O-line, that's what the rest of the draft is for anyways. It'd be no different if we took Gholston in the 1st.... we'd have to spend the other picks on O-line.

Who says so?

This team isn't in any position to contend next year, I wish people would quit looking at the draft as "we have to get back to 8-8"

suds79
02-27-2008, 10:14 PM
It really doesn't matter.

I'd bet a lot of $$ that Jake Long, Sedrick Ellis or Glen Dorsey will be there when the Chiefs draft.

And I'd rather have any of those guys over Gholston.

... I just don't see him (Gholston) ending up with the Chiefs. IMO there's other far more realistic options that the Chiefs will select... see the 3 guys above or a trade down.

htismaqe
02-28-2008, 07:01 AM

We've got to have a backup plan if (or more likely when) Brodie gets injured.

...Besides, I think one of those 3 guys will be there when the Chiefs draft anyways so it's a moot point.

Wait a second.

DE is a "luxury we can't afford with the #5 pick" but we can afford to take a "BACKUP PLAN" with that pick?

Come on, suds, that makes no sense.

htismaqe
02-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Who says so?

This team isn't in any position to contend next year, I wish people would quit looking at the draft as "we have to get back to 8-8"

I don't know why everybody is in such a hurry.

We've bottomed out. We've already been through the worst.

It's time to build. If that means being 6-10 next year, so be it.

Chiefnj2
02-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Everyone on this board always says don't draft or don't take a player too early just because of his workout. That's what everyone is doing with Gholston. He has a very good workout and now people think he's a top 3 pick.

htismaqe
02-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Everyone on this board always says don't draft or don't take a player too early just because of his workout. That's what everyone is doing with Gholston. He has a very good workout and now people think he's a top 3 pick.

Please dude, do a search.

Most of us that like Gholston said so at least TWO FULL WEEKS prior to the combine. This has nothing to do with his workouts.

In fact, alot of us have said that his workout pretty much guarantees he'll be picked well before us.

Mecca
02-28-2008, 07:28 AM

Gholston was at worst going 7th before any workouts......

And I said I thought he had a excellent chance of going 1st over a month ago.

suds79
02-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Wait a second.

DE is a "luxury we can't afford with the #5 pick" but we can afford to take a "BACKUP PLAN" with that pick?

Come on, suds, that makes no sense.

Granted you make a good point.

Look I don't want to get into a p!ssing match trying to claim that Ryan is my boy. I just mearly said I'd draft him if J Long, Ellis & Dorsey are gone.

But if we drafted Gholston instead of Ryan and those three guys are gone, fine. I really don't have a big problem with that.... I just don't think it's going to happen.

I mean we're talking about the possibility of drafting Gholston if J Long, Ellis & Dorsey are all gone. So essentially we're talking about plan D if the others don't work. It just seems kinda silly to me.

htismaqe
02-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Granted you make a good point.

Look I don't want to get into a p!ssing match trying to claim that Ryan is my boy. I just mearly said I'd draft him if J Long, Ellis & Dorsey are gone.

But if we drafted Gholston instead of Ryan and those three guys are gone, fine. I really don't have a big problem with that.... I just don't think it's going to happen.

I mean we're talking about the possibility of drafting Gholston if J Long, Ellis & Dorsey are all gone. So essentially we're talking about plan D if the others don't work. It just seems kinda silly to me.

I understand. :thumb:

cadmonkey
02-28-2008, 08:38 AM

With guys in the later rounds of the draft and through free angency.....also with first round DLinemen.

RedThat
02-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I'd be happy if the Chiefs took Gholston?

I think they have a great chance to get him. Another passrusher wouldn't hurt? I think he is the best passrusher in this draft without a doubt.

In fact, Id be happy with either Ellis, Jake Long, or Gholston? I think those 3 guys are all going to be solid players in the NFL.

I look at Gholston as more of a 3-4 type player, but I don't think that means we shouldn't draft him or take a look at him if he is there at #5?

I think with a guy like him, your defense can do so many things. You can blitz him off the edge, place him as a falcon DE on passing downs...Move Hali to the inside...Or possibly have Gholston, Allen, Hali as your passrushers on 3rd down?

He can play linebacker..And it's not like the Chiefs can't upgrade there? I was very disappointed in Napolen Harris this year. In fact, I think Donnie Edwards should be playing the middle, keep Johnson on the outside, and if you draft a guy like gholston he can play on the outside too.

htismaqe
02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
????????????????

Did your period key and question mark key get switched? ROFL

RedThat
02-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Did your period key and question mark key get switched? ROFL

Too excited to post about this stuff. A different form of expression:D

El Jefe
02-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Dude, was he playing on the line? NO, he was in COVERAGE. He played BOTH LBer AND DE at Ohio State.

I have read a lot of your posts on Vernon and definetely agree with you. He is a beast, and for NJChief or whoever keeps pointing out he got pancaked by a WR, what good player hasn't been de-cleated (see Roidman and Maurice Jones Drew, that was nasty). Gholston is an animal he is relentless. The thing also is Gholston has ran in the high 4.4's and I believe at OSU's pro-day you are going to see some low numbers in the 40. The guy got 37reps on the bench, he tied Jake Long, and Vernon was disappointed because he though he would get at least 40. I would mess my pants if we got him, that would be awesome. Jim Heacock (D Coordinator at tOSU) said he was one of the best athletes he has ever seen at Ohio State, and that is saying a lot. Anyway I would be thrilled if we got him, but if we don't I hope we land someone else who will make a big impact.

Chiefnj2
02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Gholston is a great athlete, too bad he's not a great football player.

El Jefe
02-28-2008, 12:20 PM

Stats, and video tape don't lie. You don't like him and that's apparent, on the other hand that is your opinion, and you know what they say about those.

Brock
02-28-2008, 12:22 PM

:eek: Weird position.

El Jefe
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM

Ditto

Chiefnj2
02-28-2008, 01:11 PM

He's gotten by on his physical prowess. He's a great athlete. But he's very raw - he only started 25 games. Plus, we all know OSU doesn't have the toughest schedule. He had a good game against Jake Long but was invisible in the national championship; on some plays it looks like he quit.

His first year he'd be a situational pass rusher. With the right coaching and system and his natural ability he could develop into a great football player, I just don't happen to think that he is one yet and there is a risk he never will be. I'm reminded a little bit of Boss Bailey - phenomenal athlete, room to grow, he just never did.

El Jefe
02-28-2008, 01:17 PM
He's gotten by on his physical prowess. He's a great athlete. But he's very raw - he only started 25 games. Plus, we all know OSU doesn't have the toughest schedule. He had a good game against Jake Long but was invisible in the national championship; on some plays it looks like he quit.

His first year he'd be a situational pass rusher. With the right coaching and system and his natural ability he could develop into a great football player, I just don't happen to think that he is one yet and there is a risk he never will be. I'm reminded a little bit of Boss Bailey - phenomenal athlete, room to grow, he just never did.

I don't agree with you but you do have some points that are valid.

BigChiefFan
02-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I have read a lot of your posts on Vernon and definetely agree with you. He is a beast, and for NJChief or whoever keeps pointing out he got pancaked by a WR, what good player hasn't been de-cleated (see Roidman and Maurice Jones Drew, that was nasty). Gholston is an animal he is relentless. The thing also is Gholston has ran in the high 4.4's and I believe at OSU's pro-day you are going to see some low numbers in the 40. The guy got 37reps on the bench, he tied Jake Long, and Vernon was disappointed because he though he would get at least 40. I would mess my pants if we got him, that would be awesome. Jim Heacock (D Coordinator at tOSU) said he was one of the best athletes he has ever seen at Ohio State, and that is saying a lot. Anyway I would be thrilled if we got him, but if we don't I hope we land someone else who will make a big impact.

I have to say thank you for the kind words-I really appreciate it. Flattery will get you everywhere.:D

Good take on Gholston. The guy really is a beast, who is going to command double teams. I don't know why some de-value someone with so much physical prowess.

htismaqe
02-28-2008, 03:10 PM

Didn't play the toughest competition? Gimme a break, dude.

OSU, during the time Gholston was a starter, played a top 5 team AT LEAST FOUR TIMES. I may go out and actually count them because that statement is absolutely absurd.

OnTheWarpath15
02-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Didn't play the toughest competition? Gimme a break, dude.

OSU, during the time Gholston was a starter, played a top 5 team AT LEAST FOUR TIMES. I may go out and actually count them because that statement is absolutely absurd.

Don't forget about him squaring off with the Highlander, the greatest OL prospect EVAH......

htismaqe
02-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Off the top of my head, I know they played Texas when they were top 5. They might have even played Texas twice. Obviously they got the BCS NC against Florida and LSU. They played Michigan when they were #2. So that's 4.

Chiefnj2
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Off the top of my head, I know they played Texas when they were top 5. They might have even played Texas twice. Obviously they got the BCS NC against Florida and LSU. They played Michigan when they were #2. So that's 4.

This past year when he put up his big numbers they played Youngstown, Akron, Kent State and the 1-11 Golden Gophers. I'll save you some time, they weren't ranked.

htismaqe
02-28-2008, 03:46 PM
This past year when he put up his big numbers they played Youngstown, Akron, Kent State and the 1-11 Golden Gophers. I'll save you some time, they weren't ranked.

He started 25 games, and put up very good numbers last year too.

By the way, this past year when he put up his big numbers, they finished 54th in SoS, despite playing those 4 teams you listed...

Halfcan
02-28-2008, 06:15 PM
roid freak

Consistent1
02-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Let me start by saying that I am a big advocate of players doing cycles. It is really so important in the NFL. Think about all the baseball players that have been caught, and think of the difference between that and football. It is indeed obvious that many, many guys use. That said, Gholston looks incredible in that picture on the first page of this thread. He will instantly be one of the best built guys in the league. I know he has sick genetics, and is fairly tall. That kind of lean mass on a person is way out of the ordinary though. Pretty much impossible to weigh that much and be that lean. He is way dry and vascular in the arms. He is not far off from being able to diet down a few pounds and be a NPC national super-heavyweight bodybuilder. That is one step away from Jay Cutler, Coleman, etc. The amount of shit those guys do is crazy. I would just hope he doesn't end up with injury problems. He does look fantastic though. Merriman is a joke physique wise compared to VG. I hope he does real well in the NFL. Let the flaming begin because I am always wrong about this stuff according to the members of this board.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Gholston is another DeMarcus Ware, for anyone to justify that we couldn't use that or he'd sit behind Tamba Hali is pretty much a joke in my view.

No, Gholston is a guy who will probably lead the league in sacks multiple times.

CoMoChief
02-28-2008, 07:16 PM
http://photo.the-ozone.net/photos/2007_2008/Football/07-09-22-FB-0045.jpg

All natural.....

holy shit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-28-2008, 07:18 PM
He looks like f*cking Schwarzenegger in "Pumping Iron".

Rausch
02-28-2008, 07:18 PM
holy shit.

Indeed. Looks like a very unhappy man without enough fiber in his diet...

BigChiefFan
02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
He eats Offensive tackles and absorbs their souls.

beach tribe
02-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Let me start by saying that I am a big advocate of players doing cycles. It is really so important in the NFL. Think about all the baseball players that have been caught, and think of the difference between that and football. It is indeed obvious that many, many guys use. That said, Gholston looks incredible in that picture on the first page of this thread. He will instantly be one of the best built guys in the league. I know he has sick genetics, and is fairly tall. That kind of lean mass on a person is way out of the ordinary though. Pretty much impossible to weigh that much and be that lean. He is way dry and vascular in the arms. He is not far off from being able to diet down a few pounds and be a NPC national super-heavyweight bodybuilder. That is one step away from Jay Cutler, Coleman, etc. The amount of shit those guys do is crazy. I would just hope he doesn't end up with injury problems. He does look fantastic though. "roidman" Merriman is a joke physique wise compared to VG. I hope he does real well in the NFL. Let the flaming begin because I am always wrong about this stuff according to the members of this board.

Yes. He's huge.

Jay Cutler? Coleman? Please.

Rausch
02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
He eats Offensive tackles and absorbs their souls.

http://krlx.org/uploads/highlander-christopher-lambert-9912090.jpg

beach tribe
02-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Is that a picture of Jake long?

Consistent1
02-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes. He's huge.

Jay Cutler? Coleman? Please.

I said NPC national contender, which is not IFBB like those guys. He wouldn't even be a top NPC guy either, but he ain't far off. I know al ittle about this stuff. His muscle sepration, striations, etc, are pretty damn impressive. You can see his abs through the shirt in the picture. He looks well under 10% bodyfat there. His lean mass is pretty crazy in reality.

beach tribe
02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
I said NPC national contender, which is not IFBB like those guys. He wouldn't even be a top NPC guy either, but he ain't far off. I know al ittle about this stuff. His muscle sepration, striations, etc, are pretty damn impressive. You can see his abs through the shirt in the picture. He looks well under 10% bodyfat there. His lean mass is pretty crazy in reality.

He's a genetic marvel.

But he's a long way from a R. Coleman. All I'm sayin.

Rausch
02-28-2008, 07:36 PM

:spock:

I'm guessing you were on top since you survived to post this...

beach tribe
02-28-2008, 07:38 PM
He's got bitch tits. Bob is that you?

Consistent1
02-28-2008, 07:46 PM
He's a genetic marvel.

But he's a long way from a R. Coleman. All I'm sayin.

I said that NPC national level is one step away from the pros. Is that correct? Yep. He could qualify for national level comps pretty quick. Jay and Ronnie are indeed shorter, but they did not look that good at his age. Ronnie is 40-sum years old, Jay is in his 30's now too. The build up happens over time. VG looks like he could easily become that, prolly more like Quincy Taylor due to being so tall. I like him, not trying to be negative. Very impressive.