PDA

View Full Version : Falcons Williams visits Chiefs

Archie Bunker
03-01-2008, 01:49 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/512171.html

Falcons Williams visits Chiefs
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs have desperate needs at several positions, but their first free-agent visitor plays in a spot where they appear set.

Atlanta linebacker Demorrio Williams arrived Friday to meet with Chiefs officials. If they sign Williams, 27, he could replace Napoleon Harris as a starter.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs missed out on one of their two top free-agent priorities, and it appeared they would fail to get the other, too. New Orleans center Jeff Faine signed with Tampa Bay on Friday shortly after the market opened.

Seattle kicker Josh Brown appeared ready to sign with the Rams.

The Chiefs look content, at least for now, to fill their offensive-line vacancies through the draft and with candidates already on their roster: Herb Taylor, Anthony Alabi, Adrian Jones, Rudy Niswanger and Will Svitek.

They have journeyman kickers Billy Cundiff and Nick Novak on their roster and could re-sign veteran John Carney, an unrestricted free agent.

The Chiefs hoped to visit with Buffalo tight end Michael Gaines and Dallas cornerback Jacques Reeves. Gaines could arrive for a meeting with the Chiefs as soon as today and Reeves could visit next week, assuming he doesn’t sign elsewhere first.

He was meeting with the Texans in Houston on Friday and has other visits scheduled.

The Chiefs also revived their effort to trade unhappy safety Greg Wesley, who was replaced as a starter last season by Jarrad Page. They offered Wesley to the Broncos, asking for cornerback Karl Paymah, a restricted free agent.

The Broncos, who talked with the Chiefs about a deal for Wesley last year, refused.

Linebacker looked to be about the last place the 4-12 Chiefs would look for help. They signed Harris and Donnie Edwards last year to join Derrick Johnson in the starting lineup.

But the Chiefs are concerned about Edwards’ advancing age. He will be 35 in April.

And they are more concerned about the disappointing play of Harris.

The Chiefs would probably move Edwards to middle linebacker if they sign Williams, who would take Edwards’ spot on the outside.

The Chiefs are looking at the 277-pound Gaines as a possible replacement for Jason Dunn, who will soon be released.

Dunn was the Chiefs’ second tight end but played frequently and was a powerful blocker.

Gaines, who will be 28 later this month, also is a strong blocker. He caught a career-high 25 passes last season.

Reeves, 25, was a starter last season for the first time in his four-year NFL career.

He would compete with any cornerbacks the Chiefs might draft for a starting position.

Chiefs_5627
03-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Happy to see Wesley being shopped, hopefully this time with better results.

CupidStunt
03-01-2008, 03:20 AM
I assumed Williams would play on the outside, but I'm all for replacing Nap Harris. Guy just pisses me off and I'd be happy if he at least got benched.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:28 AM
Michael Gaines isn't exactly a strong blocker......he's big but um he's not a great blocker. He's deceptively quick and athletic well for a guy his size anyway.

If they're looking at him as just a blocker...because of his size that isn't really the way he plays.

the Talking Can
03-01-2008, 06:56 AM
we need a real MLB so badly...

Harris was a bad signing, but at least they're willing to admit it and move on.

raybec 4
03-01-2008, 06:59 AM
we need a real MLB so badly...

Harris was a bad signing, but at least they're willing to admit it and move on.

I wonder if they would hold on to Harris as a super expensive back up just as they did with Kendra

the Talking Can
03-01-2008, 07:07 AM
I wonder if they would hold on to Harris as a super expensive back up just as they did with Kendra

I would assume so....the reality is that our LB position is as depleted as our OL....

we have 1 starting LB - DJ...one old vet in Edwards...and nothing else...no backups worth a crap...what a disaster...

TRR
03-01-2008, 07:43 AM
I would assume so....the reality is that our LB position is as depleted as our OL....

we have 1 starting LB - DJ...one old vet in Edwards...and nothing else...no backups worth a crap...what a disaster...

I definitely hope it's not true that KC plans on standing pat with the O Lineman we currently draft. 2 rookies with Niswanger starting and McIntosh moving to RT is going to get Croyle killed.

raybec 4
03-01-2008, 08:05 AM

What are you saying, Nate Harris isn't a future hall of famer??

The Franchise
03-01-2008, 08:27 AM
If we're bringing in Williams to replace Harris.....then why the hell didn't we trade for Vilma?

htismaqe
03-01-2008, 08:45 AM
I definitely hope it's not true that KC plans on standing pat with the O Lineman we currently draft. 2 rookies with Niswanger starting and McIntosh moving to RT is going to get Croyle killed.

They're going to draft offensive linemen, probably more than one.

htismaqe
03-01-2008, 08:45 AM
If we're bringing in Williams to replace Harris.....then why the hell didn't we trade for Vilma?

How do you know we didn't try?

BigChiefFan
03-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Put me down for this team sucks dog balls. The Kansas City Cheaps are a ****ing disgrace to football.

evolve27
03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Put me down for this team sucks dog balls. The Kansas City Cheaps are a ****ing disgrace to football.

ROFL

siberian khatru
03-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Michael Gaines isn't exactly a strong blocker......he's big but um he's not a great blocker. He's deceptively quick and athletic well for a guy his size anyway.

If they're looking at him as just a blocker...because of his size that isn't really the way he plays.

Sorry, I'll just have to trust the Chiefs' judgment on this one.

[slap] WTF am I saying? [slap]

Bowser
03-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Sorry, I'll just have to trust the Chiefs' judgment on this one.

[slap] WTF am I saying? [slap]

Obviously, you need help with this. [SLAP]

siberian khatru
03-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Obviously, you need help with this. [SLAP]

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_GJkKMPHxw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_GJkKMPHxw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Micjones
03-01-2008, 09:21 AM
We should've held on to Kershaw. He was all over the place in pre-season action.
He might've turned into a pretty solid starter at MLB.

I don't want to see Edwards in the middle though. He's not very physical.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 09:22 AM
How do you know we didn't try?

The Saints got him for a conditional 2009 pick.
What the hell could we possibly have offered them?
A 7th in the 2011 Draft?

raybec 4
03-01-2008, 09:23 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_GJkKMPHxw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_GJkKMPHxw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Have you ever seen a grown man naked Billy?

siberian khatru
03-01-2008, 09:25 AM
A 7th in the 2011 Draft?

Yeah, but that could very well be the first pick in the 7th round in 2011.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah, but that could very well be the first pick in the 7th round in 2011.

Knowing this franchise... It will be.

Sure-Oz
03-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Well hopefully we can sign this guy and have a little better play from that position since Nap was avg at best

Micjones
03-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Williams is an Outside Linebacker.

BigChiefFan
03-01-2008, 09:33 AM
It's one thing to build through the draft. It's something completely different to just ignore your teams needs and to fill those needs with shttiy players. **** you, Chiefs. I'm so glad I didn't renew-who wants to play thousands of dollars to see a team that could care less. We are the WORST team in football.

The Franchise
03-01-2008, 09:36 AM
A 7th in the 2011 Draft?

The Saints got him for a 4th or 5th in this years draft I believe....and a conditional pick in the 2009 draft. That's cheap as hell for a young MLB who fits your scheme and is better than you have now.

Sure-Oz
03-01-2008, 09:39 AM
The Saints got him for a 4th or 5th in this years draft I believe....and a conditional pick in the 2009 draft. That's cheap as hell for a young MLB who fits your scheme and is better than you have now.

It made too much sense, that is why we didn't trade for him.

The Franchise
03-01-2008, 09:40 AM
It made too much sense, that is why we didn't trade for him.

Makes perfect sense to me that it didn't make sense. :spock:

TEX
03-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Same thing most every year with LB - doesn't matter the coach. ROFL
Is it too much to ask to get it right for once?

TEX
03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
We should've held on to Kershaw. He was all over the place in pre-season action.
He might've turned into a pretty solid starter at MLB.

I don't want to see Edwards in the middle though. He's not very physical.

You do know that he played his best football there in the past...

TEX
03-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Happy to see Wesley being shopped, hopefully this time with better results.

Not me - he can play and he deserves to be a starter on this team until someone plays better than he. That hasn't happened.

FAX
03-01-2008, 10:00 AM
All of this serves to remind me how far below expectations our LBs played this year. We can only hope it was due, at least in part, to the performance of our DTs and that particular problem will be corrected.

There isn't a single position group that's solid on this freaking team, anymore. It's a good thing Chiefs fans are, generally, apathetic because the Emergency Rooms are full.

FAX

Micjones
03-01-2008, 10:02 AM

He's also alot older now.

TEX
03-01-2008, 10:02 AM
All of this serves to remind me how far below expectations our LBs played this year. We can only hope it was due, at least in part, to the performance of our DTs and that particular problem will be corrected.

FAX

As usual. Doesn't seem to matter who the coach is. ..:shake:

htismaqe
03-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Not in a 4-3 he didn't.

TEX
03-01-2008, 10:04 AM
He's also alot older now.

Yep. The thing is Donnie can still play - it's staying healthy that will be an issue. If they do move him to the middle, he'll play well but we had better have a solid back-up plan.

htismaqe
03-01-2008, 10:04 AM
A 7th in the 2011 Draft?

Honestly, who cares? We missed out on Vilma. He MIGHT have been a good pickup if his health checks out. But he's not the missing link on a VERY VERY bad team. We need to keep all the picks we have. Vilma might be done playing by the time Herm and Carl are gone, whereas guys we draft this coming April have a chance to be part of the team AFTER they're gone.

htismaqe
03-01-2008, 10:06 AM

IF he's healthy, then sure.

But in all honesty, this team is going nowhere for the forseeable future. Do we really want to give up draft picks - players that have the potential to contribute after Carl and Herm are gone - for players that constitute a "quick fix" on a hopeless team?

TEX
03-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Not in a 4-3 he didn't.

True -

TEX
03-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Honestly, who cares? We missed out on Vilma. He MIGHT have been a good pickup if his health checks out. But he's not the missing link on a VERY VERY bad team. We need to keep all the picks we have. Vilma might be done playing by the time Herm and Carl are gone, whereas guys we draft this coming April have a chance to be part of the team AFTER they're gone.

And that day can't come soon enough for me...:)

htismaqe
03-01-2008, 10:12 AM
And that day can't come soon enough for me...:)

Me either.

However, I've resigned myself to enjoying whatever part of this mess I can, so I'm gonna see the silver lining in not giving a 6-year deal to Gibril Wilson... :D

Chiefnj2
03-01-2008, 10:15 AM

Presuming he's healthy Vilma is an established player and is a much safer bet to be productive 3-4 years down the road than whoever Herm and Carl draft in the 3rd or 4th round.

htismaqe
03-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Presuming he's healthy Vilma is an established player and is a much safer bet to be productive 3-4 years down the road than whoever Herm and Carl draft in the 3rd or 4th round.

Presuming he's healthy. That's a VERY weighted statement.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-01-2008, 10:20 AM
we do need depth at linebacker so signing williams makes sense...i know i know he's not a big name free agent, but that's not the direction this team is going.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 10:30 AM

Who cares that the Saints stole Vilma for a pick in next year's Draft?
No one player is going to turn this team around. We need a series of good player acquisitions. Vilma would've been one of them. He's going to play in New Orleans. I can live with that, but these are the kinds of transactions this organization should be making.

1 conditional draft pick isn't going to break this franchise.
It's probably going to be a Middle Round pick that we'll wind up having multiples of anyway.

BigChiefFan
03-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Who cares that the Saints stole Vilma for a pick in next year's Draft?
No one player is going to turn this team around. We need a series of good player acquisitions. Vilma would've been one of them. He's going to play in New Orleans. I can live with that, but these are the kinds of transactions this organization should be making.

1 conditional draft pick isn't going to break this franchise.
It's probably going to be a Middle Round pick that we'll wind up having multiples of anyway.

I have to say I agree. When rebuilding, you essentially are saying we plan to replace bad players with BETTER players, otherwise what's the point? Any team can go cheap and it looks as those the Chiefs are certainly headed in that direction. Vilma, while not a savior, is the very type of player that wouldn't have broken the bank, but a puzzle piece to IMPROVE the team. Improving is the point of rebuilding, not signing more scrubs. The Chiefs are lost as an organization.

htismaqe
03-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Vilma's injury was pretty damn devastating.

Am I glad that we missed out on him? No fuggin way.

Am I mad that we missed out on him? No fuggin way.

It's the FIRST OF MARCH. We have the fuggin FIFTH PICK IN THE DRAFT.

Calm down already.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Vilma's injury was pretty damn devastating.

Am I glad that we missed out on him? No fuggin way.

Am I mad that we missed out on him? No fuggin way.

It's the FIRST OF MARCH. We have the fuggin FIFTH PICK IN THE DRAFT.

Calm down already.

I don't think reality has set in for some, it gets worse before it gets better, the Chiefs may very well have the #1 pick next year.

Sure-Oz
03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think reality has set in for some, it gets worse before it gets better, the Chiefs may very well have the #1 pick next year.

should be an exciting 2-14 season

BigChiefFan
03-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't think reality has set in for some, it gets worse before it gets better, the Chiefs may very well have the #1 pick next year.I think we will,too. I don't see any organization as poorly run as the Chiefs. 2008 is going to be a long year.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I wonder what people think will happen if we wind up with another Top 5 pick?

It sure as hell won't be offering that player a Happy Meal to play here in Kansas City.
We're all for having to pay an unknown commodity 8 figures, but screw Jake Scott.
LMAO

DeezNutz
03-01-2008, 11:43 AM

For those of you who follow college football much closer than I do, who are the best QB prospects next year? Mecca, I know you've broached this subject before, but aren't individuals like Tebow among the best of the bunch?

This makes the situation pretty bleak for me, and this is one reason why Ryan might make a lot of sense. We'd be passing on a host of playmakers (Ellis, Dorsey, perhaps), but we're going to be in position to draft really high next year, and these caliber of players are at the top of every draft. Good QBs are not.

It's going to be a slow process for the Chiefs to get good again, so I don't really agree with posters who claim that this year's draft will make or break the franchise. We need to get better, no doubt, but we have to think long-term.

Fish
03-01-2008, 11:43 AM
should be an exciting 2-14 season

If it is.. then it is..... that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world....

Rebuilding doesn't happen quickly.... especially when your front office was as reluctant to admit/start rebuilding as the Chiefs were.

It seems the free agency period has brought back some "win now, there's a chance" mentality with some fans.....

Embrace the rebuild..............

Micjones
03-01-2008, 11:45 AM
It's going to be a slow process for the Chiefs to get good again, so I don't really agree with posters who claim that this year's draft will make or break the franchise. We need to get better, no doubt, but we have to think long-term.

We can't afford to keep missing on draft picks.
We have to become better about evaluating talent and finding players that will contribute long-term. That needs to continue this year.

We've seen better drafts of late and that needs to continue if we're to have any hope of this becoming a championship caliber team.

DeezNutz
Oh, and to obviate the need for the knee-jerk response, I realize that a lot of people don't believe that Ryan is a franchise quarterback, but I do believe that most see him as the best available prospect.

Micjones

Rebuilding doesn't happen quickly.... especially when your front office was as reluctant to admit/start rebuilding as the Chiefs were.

It seems the free agency period has brought back some "win now, there's a chance" mentality with some fans.....

Not win now... Improve now.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
For those of you who follow college football much closer than I do, who are the best QB prospects next year? Mecca, I know you've broached this subject before, but aren't individuals like Tebow among the best of the bunch?

This makes the situation pretty bleak for me, and this is one reason why Ryan might make a lot of sense. We'd be passing on a host of playmakers (Ellis, Dorsey, perhaps), but we're going to be in position to draft really high next year, and these caliber of players are at the top of every draft. Good QBs are not.

As of now next years QB's are worse than this years......next year is a really bad year for QB's.

There will be some studs at the top though, I know people would say you don't take a FS in the top 5 but Taylor Mays will probably declare he is 6'4 225lbs with speed...he physically compares to Sean Taylor.

DeezNutz
03-01-2008, 11:47 AM
We have to become better about evaluating talent and finding players that will contribute long-term. That needs to continue this year.

We've seen better drafts of late and that needs to continue if we're to have any hope of this becoming a championship caliber team.

I agree with you. But this draft alone won't solve the problems. I'm probably not going to convey this well, but the next two or three drafts need to be considered together, as one giant draft, if you will. Planning for the future, being realistic about where the team currently is, should influence selection this year.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 11:48 AM

If the Chiefs in this 3 year span where they may have 2 top 5's and a top 10 whiff on 1 of the picks they will set everything back years, they can not miss on picks when they are this bad and this much money goes into it.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I agree with you. But this draft alone won't solve the problems. I'm probably not going to convey this well, but the next two or three drafts need to be considered together, as one giant draft, if you will. Planning for the future, being realistic about where the team currently is, should influence selection this year.

Right now they should probably take the best players in every round, right now we are a bad team that can use a player at every single position.

If they are going to say they are going to do this in the draft it's 3-5 years until we are a real contender and that is with excellent drafts.

DeezNutz
03-01-2008, 11:49 AM
As of now next years QB's are worse than this years......next year is a really bad year for QB's.

There will be some studs at the top though, I know people would say you don't take a FS in the top 5 but Taylor Mays will probably declare he is 6'4 225lbs with speed...he physically compares to Sean Taylor.

Right, that's what I thought. This would make the potential selection of Ryan very understandable. I like Croyle and want him to succeed, but he's offered no evidence that he can stay healthy. In his first camp, the dude tripped over a teammate and missed most of the pre-season for crying out loud.

Fish
03-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Not win now... Improve now.

Well... both take patience during a rebuild.... and for a team in shambles as the Chiefs are, you don't go about it by signing the highest priced free agents at the beginning of the FA period....

DeezNutz
03-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Right now they should probably take the best players in every round, right now we are a bad team that can use a player at every single position.

If they are going to say they are going to do this in the draft it's 3-5 years until we are a real contender and that is with excellent drafts.

I know what you mean. Get good players, period. This team sure as hell needs them.

But this assumes that we'll address QB later, somewhere down the road. How? With what? I'm tired of this philosophy.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Well... both take patience during a rebuild.... and for a team in shambles as the Chiefs are, you don't go about it by signing the highest priced free agents at the beginning of the FA period....

I agree whole-heartedly.

I have no interest in Asante Samuel and Randy Moss.
I want players this team can afford within the scope of what they're trying to accomplish otherwise. Shane Olivea type players.

Who will come at a reasonable price, stay on the shelf for a while, and play well in starting roles.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I'll list the top guys for next years draft that I see right now, this is provided some of the under classman do come out. This is in no particular order..

Michael Oher
Taylor Mays
Brian Cushing
Rey Maualuga
Michael Crabtree
Malcolm Jenkins
Al Woods
George Selvie
Vontae Davis
James Laurenitis

Now I left out RB's cause I wouldn't take one top 5 but there will likely be some great RB prospects like CJ Spiller, Chris Wells and Knowshon Moreno.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
I'll list the top guys for next years draft that I see right now, this is provided some of the under classman do come out. This is in no particular order..

Michael Oher
Taylor Mays
Brian Cushing
Rey Maualuga
Michael Crabtree
Malcolm Jenkins
Al Woods
George Selvie
Vontae Davis
James Laurenitis

Now I left out RB's cause I wouldn't take one top 5 but there will likely be some great RB prospects like CJ Spiller, Chris Wells and Knowshon Moreno.

That list makes me salivate.
Maualuga, Jenkins, Oher... ANY of those three would do my heart good.
:clap:

Mecca
03-01-2008, 11:58 AM
That list makes me salivate.
Maualuga, Jenkins, Oher... ANY of those three would do my heart good.
:clap:

For as awesome as Rey is, Brian Cushing is even better than he is.

melbar
03-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Lets just load up on o-line this year while its deep and give them a year to gell and get experience. Long or Clady in the 1st, Rachal in the 2nd, and Sullivan or Pollack in the 3rd would be a nice line. Doesnt address any of the other needs, and Waters alone cant be a mentor to so many, but I wouldnt cry if we at least started down the path. We've always had great lines and it all has to start from the inside out.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Eesh I don't like that.......overvaluing positions over talent....

This year dictates that the Chiefs should be able to pull a DT a OT and a CB that start from day one, and that's at the least.

melbar
03-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm not saying I would love it either, but all of those guys are slated to go around where we pick. It would be nice to be decent at one position though, and nothing on O is going to work with a crappy line. Maybe if we would grab a solid vet in FA we would have 2 NFL calibre O-linemen...

Mecca
03-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm not saying I would love it either, but all of those guys are slated to go around where we pick. It would be nice to be decent at one position though, and nothing on O is going to work with a crappy line. Maybe if we would grab a solid vet in FA we would have 2 NFL calibre O-linemen...

Ok we suck, what's the goal of taking all those lineman though? To try to go 8-8?

milkman
03-01-2008, 12:34 PM

You don't build championship calibre teams by trying to fill holes.

You build championship calibre teams by drafting players that can be difference makers.

Your plan just gets us back on the medicrity train.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:20 PM
You don't build championship calibre teams by trying to fill holes.

You build championship calibre teams by drafting players that can be difference makers.

Your plan just gets us back on the medicrity train.

Failure to upgrade this offensive line will get us to mediocrity much quicker.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Failure to upgrade this offensive line will get us to mediocrity much quicker.

You don't take an offensive lineman over the best players on the board when you are in our teams situation...

Arizona did that, you think they are happy they have Levi Brown and not Adrian Peterson now?

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:24 PM
You don't take an offensive lineman over the best players on the board when you are in our teams situation...

You take the best available players where you need them.
BPA is a philosophy employed by teams with very few holes.

You can't afford to sellout for the best talent in every round when that talent is often at the same positions.

Arizona did that, you think they are happy they have Levi Brown and not Adrian Peterson now?

Only one year has gone by since they made that decision.
We've yet to see how that might effect the team long-term.

You can't put individual success over finding the best value for your team.

milkman
03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
You take the best available players where you need them.
BPA is a philosophy employed by teams with very few holes.

You can't afford to sellout for the best talent in every round when that talent is often at the same positions.

Only one year has gone by since they made that decision.
We've yet to see how that might effect the team long-term.

You can't put individual success over finding the best value for your team.

This team is full of holes.

You take BPA because that player will almost certainly fill a need.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Actually...good teams can value position over need because they have very few holes to fill and are competing...

A team like the Colts can value a position because they already have so many other players...the Chiefs need players in general.

Iowanian
03-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Nice depth if he comes in.

Nothing to be excited about from what I can tell.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:30 PM
This team is full of holes.

You take BPA because that player will almost certainly fill a need.

What need would Darren McFadden fill?
What need would Vernon Gholston fill?

I'm not suggesting that we draft a player 10 spots too high.
What I am suggesting is drafting Jake Long if he's on the board.
Or Sedrick Ellis if he's not. Or Matt Ryan if both of them aren't. Or trading down if none of the aforementioned options are available to you.

If an OLB is the BPA for two consecutive rounds are you suggesting that we draft them?

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Actually...good teams can value position over need because they have very few holes to fill and are competing...

A team like the Colts can value a position because they already have so many other players...the Chiefs need players in general.

Good teams can do lots of things bad teams cannot.
That has no bearing on what happens here in Kansas City...
We must address certain areas in order for this team to improve.

We can't afford to draft players at positions that are already solidified when there are others where we have no answers at all. That's just crazy talk.

milkman
03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
What need would Darren McFadden fill?
What need would Vernon Gholston fill?

I'm not suggesting that we draft a player 10 spots too high.
What I am suggesting is drafting Jake Long if he's on the board.
Or Sedrick Ellis if he's not. Or Matt Ryan if both of them aren't. Or trading down if none of the aforementioned options are available to you.

If an OLB is the BPA for two consecutive rounds are you suggesting that we draft them?

Since I value RB about as much as Mecca, McFadden wouldn't be BPA at the #5 spot for me.

But Vernon Gholston would absolutely be a player that I'd pick, because he has the potential to be an explosive DE.

I sure as hell wouldn't pass him simply because I have JA and Tamba Hali.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
The only player you mentioned I wouldn't take is McFadden and that has more to do with my personal belief of RB's being easy to replace and not spending top 5 money on them..

I'd take Gholston in a second.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:37 PM
If you devalue Gholston you are basically saying you didn't watch the Giants who have 3 outstanding ends and use all of them very well....hell they even work Kiwanuka in there too...

If you know what you are doing you can never ever have to many great pass rushers.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Since I value RB about as much as Mecca, McFadden wouldn't be BPA at the #5 spot for me.

But Vernon Gholston would absolutely be a player that I'd pick, because he has the potential to be an explosive DE.

I sure as hell wouldn't pass him simply because I have JA and Tamba Hali.

So you'd willingly pay him 12-15 million dollars to be a #3 DE?
Even in the event that he takes Hali's job you flush another #1 down the drain.

All while you still have Will Svitek protecting your fragile Third Round QB?

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:40 PM

Gholston would play over Hali from day 1...Dlineman rotate, Hali could be used like the Giants use Tuck. Gholston is athletic enough to stand up and rush from a LB spot or even drop out...

Gholston is very versatile and having a player like him with 2 other ends opens up a ton of new things you can do, did you not watch the Giants do thing with Tuck and Kiwanuka this year despite having 2 other outstanding ends?

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:40 PM
If you devalue Gholston you are basically saying you didn't watch the Giants who have 3 outstanding ends and use all of them very well....hell they even work Kiwanuka in there too...

If you know what you are doing you can never ever have to many great pass rushers.

*Sigh*

Not this nonsense again.

1. The Giants never used Top 5 picks to assemble that Defensive Line.
2. We don't have the pieces necessary to having such a dynamic D-Line (even with Gholston).
3. We can sign a FA Defensive End and use the 5th overall pick to draft a Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis.

Surely you'd rather have a proven #3 (who'll come much cheaper than Gholston) AND a stud in the middle like Ellis as opposed to three stud DE's and no presence inside?

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I just don't agree with that, Gholston might be Derrick Thomas.....I don't devalue a player because it isn't the weakest on my team when you can get them all on the field anyway.

I don't think people sometimes understand Gholston is alot more than just your run of the mill DE.

Archie Bunker
03-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Reeves signed with Houston....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5584364.html

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Reeves signed with Houston....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5584364.html

Thank GOD! Now I can be confident the Chiefs won't overpay for his untalented ass.

milkman
03-01-2008, 01:48 PM

I'm not going to pass on a player like Gholston to take a lesser player at a different position.

I also am not going to ignore the problem at O-Line.

I just don't feel that I have to addresss it specifically with my first pick in the draft, especially since I have such a high pick and a chance to get a player who gan be a difference maker.

If Jake Long is there, and he's the BPA on the board, I'll draft him.

But it's a choice between him and Gholston, or Dorsey, or Ellis, I'm taking the defender.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Gholston would play over Hali from day 1...

Swoosh... That's the sound of flushing your former #1 down the drain.

Dlineman rotate, Hali could be used like the Giants use Tuck. Gholston is athletic enough to stand up and rush from a LB spot or even drop out...

You don't spend a Top 5 pick on a rotational player.
He would have to start over Hali from Day 1 for me to even consider taking him and I'm not sure that's the case.

Gholston is very versatile and having a player like him with 2 other ends opens up a ton of new things you can do, did you not watch the Giants do thing with Tuck and Kiwanuka this year despite having 2 other outstanding ends?

We don't have a Fred Robbins here in Kansas City.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Gholston would play over Hali from day 1...

Dlineman rotate, Hali could be used like the Giants use Tuck. Gholston is athletic enough to stand up and rush from a LB spot or even drop out...

You don't spend a Top 5 pick on a rotational player.
He would have to start over Hali from Day 1 for me to even consider taking him and I'm not sure that's the case.

We don't have a Fred Robbins here in Kansas City.

Manila-Chief
03-01-2008, 01:55 PM

I agree ... plus 2-14 may have an additional positive plus ... it might wake Clark up and encourage him to clean house, bring in talent into the FO, and really start a true rebuild.

I could live with that.

Manila-Chief
03-01-2008, 02:03 PM
If Jake Long is there, and he's the BPA on the board, I'll draft him.

But it's a choice between him and Gholston, or Dorsey, or Ellis, I'm taking the defender.

You could be correct about those being the BPA but, I think Herm/Kingless will go for what they believe is their greatest need ... not DL but OL

RustShack
03-01-2008, 02:09 PM
You have to keep in mind who our coach is, and what kind of a coach he is. I couldn't see him pasing on an essential part of his defense being successful to fill a need when he knows we are bad and in the proccess of rebuilding. Especially with such great depth for Olinemen in the draft this year.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 02:11 PM
You have to keep in mind who our coach is, and what kind of a coach he is. I couldn't see him pasing on an essential part of his defense being successful to fill a need when he knows we are bad and in the proccess of rebuilding. Especially with such great depth for Olinemen in the draft this year.

I don't think some understand the value he places on some positions...

The Jets lost a ton of players, had 2 first round picks and he traded them both for a guy he thought could be Sapp for him...you really think he's gonna pass on a Dorsey after that...

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I guess his philosophy would explain his less than stellar NFL coaching career then wouldn't it?

I'd take Dorsey though... He'd be a great complement to Hali and Allen.

RustShack
03-01-2008, 02:16 PM
In the eyes of Herm Edwards- DT>OT
In the eye of "fans"- need>value, we want to be mediocre again Carl!

RustShack
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM
"Carl draft an OT in the first round, we want to be 8-8 again instead of building a team the right way and actully being contenders!"

Mecca
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM

I never thought I'd see the day the same people who bitched about Carl pine to see the Chiefs do things the way he's always done them...

"OMG we have to have a LT!" "Sign some FA's so we can win 8 games!"

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:19 PM

God knows Herman Edwards has the clearest vision of any Head Coach in the NFL.
:rolleyes:

Another strawman argument.
Value added is what should be important to this franchise.
Not simply drafting the Best Player Available.

Sure Jake Long is a cry for mediocrity, but McFadden sitting behind Larry Johnson is the recipe for a Lombardi.
ROFL

Mecca
03-01-2008, 02:20 PM
God knows Herman Edwards has the clearest vision of any Head Coach in the NFL.

Another strawman argument.
Value added is what should be important to this franchise.
Not simply drafting the Best Player Available.

Sure Jake Long is a cry for mediocrity, but McFadden sitting behind Larry Johnson is the recipe for a Lombardi.
ROFL

Give me one person here who advocated taking McFadden.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I never thought I'd see the day the same people who bitched about Carl pine to see the Chiefs do things the way he's always done them...

"OMG we have to have a LT!" "Sign some FA's so we can win 8 games!"

So we're clear...

Drafting Offensive Linemen high... Something we haven't done in a long long time.
I'll give you one guess as to what we have taken repeatedly early in the Draft.

Who are Carl's enablers again?

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Give me one person here who advocated taking McFadden.

I can't recall specific names, but they're here.
Some people think we should sellout for the BPA regardless of position.
That can't possibly be a winning strategy for this organization.

Mecca
So we're clear...

Drafting Offensive Linemen high... Something we haven't done in a long long time.
I'll give you one guess as to what we have taken repeatedly early in the Draft.

Who are Carl's enablers again?

No but taking a OT above all us is pure Chiefs.....there are people that think if Long is gone we should take Clady or try to move down and take him...

The 3 best players in this draft are D players, it's just that simple I don't see how you don't take one when the odds are those guys will still be there.

RustShack
I didn't know McFadden played DT, is he any good?

Mecca
03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I can't recall specific names, but they're here.
Some people think we should sellout for the BPA regardless of position.
That can't possibly be a winning strategy for this organization.

I think you need to understand 9 out of 10 of us who say that wouldn't pick McFadden, he isn't a BPA to me due to his position.

RustShack
03-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Keep in mind Herm has been a Head Coach for 7 years, how many Head Coaches have build great teams and won the Super Bowl in thier first 7 years as HC?

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:27 PM
No but taking a OT above all us is pure Chiefs.....there are people that think if Long is gone we should take Clady or try to move down and take him...

Sure there are. I; however, am not one of them.
I wouldn't mind seeing us take Ellis/Dorsey or Ryan if Long is gone.
If none of those options are available I strongly consider trading down.
Wouldn't hurt to have an extra pick in Round Two.

You absolutely must have a contingency plan in the event that Long is off the board. We should never have one track minds, but we do need to go into Free Agency and the Draft with a list of priorities. And improving the Offensive Line is our highest priority.

The 3 best players in this draft are D players, it's just that simple I don't see how you don't take one when the odds are those guys will still be there.

Some would argue that the best player in the draft is Darren McFadden.
That's wonderful, but we're set at that position. We must find help elsewhere.

I'd love to figure out a way to draft Rodgers-Cromartie myself...
:D

The Bad Guy
03-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Vernon Gholston is going to be a complete menace in the NFL. He's going to dominate from day 1.

When you are 4-12, those are the players you NEED to get.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I think you need to understand 9 out of 10 of us who say that wouldn't pick McFadden, he isn't a BPA to me due to his position.

Fair enough.

RustShack
03-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Matt Ryan is over rated.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Vernon Gholston is going to be a complete menace in the NFL. He's going to dominate from day 1.

When you are 4-12, those are the players you NEED to get.

Not when you have a highly-paid DE on one side and a former #1 on the other. You need DE depth, but you can find it later in the draft or in FA.

I'd much rather have a dominate player where one isn't currently available.
Like at DT.

Ellis will do more to help Allen and Hali than Gholston.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Not when you have a highly-paid DE on one side and a former #1 on the other. You need DE depth, but you can find it later in the draft or in FA.

Like at DT.

You do know what you are saying is "well I have Tamba Hali who's pretty good that means I don't want Derrick Thomas on my roster"

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
You do know what you are saying is "well I have Tamba Hali who's pretty good that means I don't want Derrick Thomas on my roster"

Vernon Gholston's a future Hall of Famer?
You know that today?

Come on Mecca...

doomy3
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM

And you do know that you are making quite an assumption there too about Gholston.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
He can be that good.....everyone wants to compare guys to DT, Gholston is pretty close to it, same as DeMarcus Ware, you gonna tell me that you wouldn't want that because of Tamba Hali?

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:35 PM
He can be that good.....everyone wants to compare guys to DT, Gholston is pretty close to it, same as DeMarcus Ware, you gonna tell me that you wouldn't want that because of Tamba Hali?

Just back away from that one altogether.
You're calling a player who has never played a down in the NFL the next Derrick Thomas.

I get that we can improve upon the DE spot, but when the Defense has so many other holes why wouldn't you try to improve at a position that's in much worse shape? What could Hali become with a Sedrick Ellis inside?
:hmmm:

doomy3
03-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Who have guys compared to DT? You're the only one I have seen making this kind of comparison. I'm not saying I don't want Gholston, but I do think you are overblowing him just a bit without him ever stepping on the field. And he was good in college, but he wasn't unbelievable or anything.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 02:38 PM
As I remember back to all the people who compared Derrick Johnson to him after that draft....

It's a simple point Gholstons upside is ridiculous, you don't not take him because of Tamba Hali.

RustShack
03-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Most people compare people coming out to great players, its not a new thing.

OnTheWarpath15
03-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Just back away from that one altogether.
You're calling a player who has never played a down in the NFL the next Derrick Thomas.

In all fairness, there are plenty of people around here who have said similar things about Jake Long.

I think Mecca is speaking to his potential. There are no guarantees.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Actually I got a better question.......What the hell is with people and Tamba Hali around here, did he become Michael Strahan in his prime without me noticing?

Before that draft nearly everyone told me I was wrong for wanting Cromartie over him...this year a dude made an asinine argument to me that Hali is better than Cromartie is which is one of the dumbest things ever..

Now it's being argued that you shouldn't draft a top of the line because because of him, when the hell did Tamba Hali become this great player?

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Its all about what they could be. If you watch Gholston, he is similar to Derrick Thomas in the way he plays. Same as comparing Long to a Tony Boseli or Ellis to Sapp.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 02:43 PM
In all fairness, there are plenty of people around here who have said similar things about Jake Long.

I think Mecca is speaking to his potential. There are no guarantees.

Well yea obviously potential, Gholston has that sort of upside, you can't sit there and say you don't have any use for a guy with elite pass rush skills.

doomy3
03-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Actually I got a better question.......What the hell is with people and Tamba Hali around here, did he become Michael Strahan in his prime without me noticing?

Before that draft nearly everyone told me I was wrong for wanting Cromartie over him...this year a dude made an asinine argument to me that Hali is better than Cromartie is which is one of the dumbest things ever..

Now it's being argued that you shouldn't draft a top of the line because because of him, when the hell did Tamba Hali become this great player?

He's not "great" but you regularly talk about all the holes on our team and how we have shitty players. Hali is not one of those shitty players, and DE is not one of those holes. Let's replace our shitty players first before we start replacing our good players.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:50 PM

He's not. Tamba Hali is chump change, but Vernon Gholston?
He's the next Derrick Thomas. Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Look...
Hali's a pretty good Defensive End. Good enough that you can turn your attention to a bigger problem on your football team. It's great to improve upon a position where you already have an answer, but you do that when you don't have as many gaping holes as this team does.

What's wrong with drafting a player like Ellis who could very well be as dominant as Gholston? He plays at a position where we don't have clear cut answers and having him would only help players like Allen and Hali.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Well yea obviously potential, Gholston has that sort of upside, you can't sit there and say you don't have any use for a guy with elite pass rush skills.

That's what's funny though Mecca.
Why does wanting another player at a bigger position of need mean that you can do without a player like Gholston?

It just means you can't have everything all at once.
It'd be great to have three players like Jared Allen, but realistically that's not something most teams are going to have.

How's about we spread the wealth and work on finding an answer at a position where we don't already have one?

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:01 PM
That's what's funny though Mecca.
Why does wanting another player at a bigger position of need mean that you can do without a player like Gholston?

It just means you can't have everything all at once.
It'd be great to have three players like Jared Allen, but realistically that's not something most teams are going to have.

How's about we spread the wealth and work on finding an answer at a position where we don't already have one?

Because next to QB.......elite pass rushers are the most valued thing in the league?

I don't think Gholstons going to be on the board when the Chiefs pick anyway I just don't like hearing people actually say they wouldn't take him it just makes me shake my head.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Because next to QB.......elite pass rushers are the most valued thing in the league?

Left Tackles are highly valued too Mecca.

I don't think Gholstons going to be on the board when the Chiefs pick anyway I just don't like hearing people actually say they wouldn't take him it just makes me shake my head.

It's certainly not because we think he isn't worthy of that pick.
It's more looking at how bare the cupboard is elsewhere.

I have plates already... Do I really need a nicer set when I have nothing at all to drink from? I mean... It's pretty damn hard to drink water off of a plate. And don't ask me how I know...

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Left Tackles are highly valued too Mecca.

It's certainly not because we think he isn't worthy of that pick.
It's more looking at how bare the cupboard is elsewhere.

I have plates already... Do I really need a nicer set when I have nothing at all to drink from? I mean... It's pretty damn hard to drink water off of a plate. And don't ask me how I know...

That's a really bad analogy.....guess the Ravens shouldn't have taken Terrell Suggs with that top 10 pick since they really didn't need him.

We need stars, pro bowlers, playmakers, regardless of position.

RedThat
03-01-2008, 03:10 PM
In all honesty, the Chiefs run a cover 2. I love Gholston's play, I think he is gonna be great.

I just think that with Herm's coaching style, and the way he runs this team is similar to what Dungy did in Tampa. It's all about the cover 2 system, and you need a great defensive line to execute that system accordingly.

It makes a whole ton of sense to draft a defensive tackle. You and I know the Chiefs have been missing a dominant force on the inside for years now. I think what most people have to realize, regardless of Gholston, this team should take a copy of the blueprint that was set in Tampa years back, and follow that. That is the way this team is going to win imo.

Tampa had Sapp and Rice as the main foundation blocks on their team. And the Chiefs have half of that in Jared Allen. The other half is missing. they're missing a Warren Sapp type player. But, a great chance to get a DT at 5. That pick has to be either Dorsey or Ellis.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
In all honesty, the Chiefs run a cover 2. I love Gholston's play, I think he is gonna be great.

I just think that with Herm's coaching style, and the way he runs this team is similar to what Dungy did in Tampa. It's all about the cover 2 system, and you need a great defensive line to execute that system accordingly.

It makes a whole ton of sense to draft a defensive tackle. You and I know the Chiefs have been missing a dominant force on the inside for years now. I think what most people have to realize, regardless of Gholston, this team should take a copy of the blueprint that was set in Tampa years back, and follow that. That is the way this team is going to win imo.

Tampa had Sapp and Rice as the main foundation blocks on their team. And the Chiefs have half of that in Jared Allen. The other half is missing. they're missing a Warren Sapp type player. But, a great chance to get a DT at 5. That pick has to be either Dorsey or Ellis.

Funny story, Rice came pretty late into Tampa's run....

If anyone can name another end that played with Sapp on all those great defenses before Rice even got there I'd be surprised...a DT can do that..

My argument is simple though if you watch both those DT's go in front of our pick then you have to take Gholston.....I consider it unlikely since I think Gholston is going 1st.

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2008, 03:15 PM

If anyone can name another end that played with Sapp on all those great defenses before Rice even got there I'd be surprised...a DT can do that..

My argument is simple though if you watch both those DT's go in front of our pick then you have to take Gholston.....I consider it unlikely since I think Gholston is going 1st.

Marcus Jones and Regan Upshaw :D

Micjones
03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
That's a really bad analogy.....guess the Ravens shouldn't have taken Terrell Suggs with that top 10 pick since they really didn't need him.

The Ravens didn't have a Jared Allen on the 2002 team and certainly didn't have a DE as productive as Hali that year. Nice try though.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2008, 03:18 PM

Like at DT.

The fact that Hali was taken with the 23rd pick in the first round two years ago should mean jack shit. The Broncos, in the same draft shipped off a 2nd rounder, and gave Javon Walker a lot of cash. That didn't matter when they cut his ass.

You all act like we have a ton of cash invested in him that if we were to get a basically can't miss player that we should ignore that.

Hali was god awful against the run last year. He didn't impress me at all with his pass rush either. He was overmatched for most of the year.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Marcus Jones and Regan Upshaw :D

Yea see, Marcus Jones had a 10 sack year there and he sucked balls...how about Chidi Anahotu and Greg Spires...

Sapp pretty much made a bunch of scrub DE's good.....then they drafted Anthony McFarland to play next to him.

RedThat
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Yup you're right about that. Rice came there late.

And I don't even remember either who played with Sapp before Rice?

Oh a DT can do your defense wonders. I think it is the most important position on defense to be quite honest.

I agree if Dorsey and Ellis are gone, Im all for Gholston.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:20 PM
The fact that Hali was taken with the 23rd pick in the first round two years ago should mean jack shit. The Broncos, in the same draft shipped off a 2nd rounder, and gave Javon Walker a lot of cash. That didn't matter when they cut his ass.

You all act like we have a ton of cash invested in him that if we were to get a basically can't miss player that we should ignore that.

Hali was god awful against the run last year. He didn't impress me at all with his pass rush either. He was overmatched for most of the year.

I want to know why people think Tamba Hali is so good......really I wanna know.\

I want that guy who thinks he's better than Cromartie to post again too just so I can have something to laugh about...

Sure-Oz
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Hali has been servicable, not a 1st rounder imo so far, but hopefully he improves.

RedThat
03-01-2008, 03:25 PM

He has a lot of work to do. Especially against the run. I think his passrushing skills are decent. But, I don't think playing with Ron Edwards helped. No disrespect to Ron Edwards, but he is a journeyman type player and not a dominant force.

I think Hali could have easily got 10 sacks last year. He missed 3 for sure. QB's break away from sacks that happens. Plus, he was hurt. Shouldn't make excuses for the guy, but, I think his play can improve with better talent around him? When the Chiefs got Boone, it made a world of a difference for Jared Allen.

*One thing I gotta admit about Hali, I love his hustle. I don't consider him a weakness at the DE position or a fringe player. Most peoples minds are fixated towards this stop the run stuff. But I think regardless, you play a cover 2 scheme most of the time, it doesn't favor stopping the run as well. JMO

Micjones
03-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Broncos, in the same draft shipped off a 2nd rounder, and gave Javon Walker a lot of cash. That didn't matter when they cut his ass.

And I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that Jeff Webb had better numbers last year than Walker. OR the fact that he played in just 8 of Denver's games...

So was Jared Allen at one time.
And there are quite a few DE's in the league who aren't particularly stout against the run.

Besides... That can't be a reason why you're in a rush to draft Gholston.
He's certainly not a great run-stopper.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2008, 03:31 PM
just burn it all to the ground .... fook the free agents.

let's just go winless this year and draft high again next year.

i give up

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:31 PM
And I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that Jeff Webb had better numbers last year than Walker. OR the fact that he played in just 8 of Denver's games...

So was Jared Allen at one time.
And there are quite a few DE's in the league who aren't particularly stout against the run.

Besides... That can't be a reason why you're in a rush to draft Gholston.
He's certainly not a great run-stopper.

It's because Gholston is one of the best players in the draft and most us don't think you pass on a player due to another player who to this post in his career is pretty average.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
just burn it all to the ground .... fook the free agents.

let's just go winless this year and draft high again next year.

i give up

Were you hoping for 10 signings and an 8-8 year?

Brock
03-01-2008, 03:34 PM

That's actually the sound of your defense becoming a very scary pass rushing threat.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 03:34 PM
It's because Gholston is one of the best players in the draft

Don't tell anybody I said this, but...
So is Jake Long.

and most us don't think you pass on a player due to another player who to this post in his career is pretty average.

Let's just say that we draft Gholston #1... And next year a player better than Gholston is available when we go on the clock... Do we pull the trigger again at DE and ignore the other glaring holes in this roster? Where do you draw the line?

Micjones
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
That's actually the sound of your defense becoming a very scary pass rushing threat.

Won't happen with chickenshit in the middle of your defensive line.
That's why I said I'd rather have Ellis or Dorsey and a third DE like Odom, LaBoy or McCray.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Don't tell anybody I said this, but...
So is Jake Long.

Let's just say that we draft Gholston #1... And next year a player better than Gholston is available when we go on the clock... Do we pull the trigger again at DE and ignore the other glaring holes in this roster? Where do you draw the line?

Considering the way I follow this......I know there isn't so....the closest thing is George Selvie and he isn't Gholston.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Considering the way I follow this......I know there isn't so....the closest thing is George Selvie and he isn't Gholston.

You get what I'm trying to say though...
Where do you draw the line?

You'd frown at having Ellis in the middle and third (much less expensive DE) like Antwan Odom?

That would be a better Defensive Line than Hali, Allen, Gholston and no one of note in the middle.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I think you are misreading my argument....I think what you are trying to say is the Chiefs in no way should even consider picking Gholston and I'm telling you that's nuts....

OnTheWarpath15
03-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Am I the only one that realizes that Mecca is only advocating taking Gholston if Dorsey and Ellis are gone?

If you're choice is between Vernon Gholston or reaching for Matt Ryan or Ryan Clady, you run to the podium and take Gholston.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Am I the only one that realizes that Mecca is only advocating taking Gholston if Dorsey and Ellis are gone?

I didn't realize that's what he's been saying all along.
Is this right Mecca?

Mecca
03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I didn't realize that's what he's been saying all along.
Is this right Mecca?

Yea, I thought you were arguing that the Chiefs in no way should take Gholston, I consider him the 3rd best player in the draft...notice I said 3rd.

milkman
03-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Yea, I thought you were arguing that the Chiefs in no way should take Gholston, I consider him the 3rd best player in the draft...notice I said 3rd.

Exactly.

Dorsey or Ellis are no brainers.

doomy3
03-01-2008, 05:44 PM

You've been saying all week that he is the #1 player in this draft...

Mecca
03-02-2008, 12:22 AM
You've been saying all week that he is the #1 player in this draft...

I think the Dolphins are taking him #1, that's a little different than saying he's the #1 player.

Micjones
03-02-2008, 01:42 AM

I think that's largely what I am saying. I don't want to see us draft a DE with the 5th overall pick. I wouldn't mind a DE somewhere in April's draft or even a FA signing like Travis LaBoy, but I don't want a DE with our #1.

I'd MUCH rather have Dorsey or Ellis.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-02-2008, 01:52 AM
So um are we going to sign a WR since there's like only one left in Bryant Johnson?

Micjones
03-02-2008, 01:54 AM
I thought DJ Hackett was still available as well?

Chiefs Pantalones
03-02-2008, 02:12 AM
I thought DJ Hackett was still available as well?

I'd rather have Johnson.

But nothing ever goes the Chiefs way so it's all good.