03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
WTF Carl? We are so going down in flames

per kffl

dj56dt58
03-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I ****ing hate this god damn team

nychief
03-01-2008, 11:50 AM
a young up and coming free agent. finally a signing...oh for the bucs? shit.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 11:50 AM
It's not a big deal, I thought they should let him go.

With Turk McBride around even if he becomes primarily a DT, Wilkerson wasn't needed anymore.

dj56dt58
03-01-2008, 11:51 AM
It's not a big deal, I thought they should let him go.

With Turk McBride around even if he becomes primarily a DT, Wilkerson wasn't needed anymore.

Right now the chiefs need to keep ANYONE worth a shit...

TRR
03-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Why? Because they didn't re-sign Jimmy Wilkerson? How many years has he had to prove that he could become a starter in the NFL?

Not a big deal...

Fish
03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Further the development of the young guys.... and make room for a DT with the #5 pick!!

Not so bad of news...

doomy3
03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
OMG, no not Jimmy Wilkerson!!! He has been an anchor for us the last few years!!

BigChiefFan
03-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Wilkerson could have been alot more than what he was, if the Chiefs would have just played him more. Everytime he took the field he made plays. I can't say I'm disappointed, but once agin, this goes against what they are saying of developing your own and keeping them. Which is it?

Mr. Kotter
Wow, he and Ryan Sims (as former Chiefs) can form the basis of a SuperBowl bound Bucs team next year....print 'em, baby!

Heh. ROFL

nychief
1 career sack

Micjones
I personally am glad to see Wilkerson go.
He was "hype" walking.

We're in desperate need of DE depth now, but please... No Gholston or Chris Long...
Antwan Odom, Travis LaBoy, Bobby McCray... One of those three please and thank you.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Right now the chiefs need to keep ANYONE worth a shit...

That's not a good philosophy, you don't overpay for marginal players when your team is rebuilding...

The Chiefs are not winning anything next year and a guy like Wilkerson is not hard to replace, it would be like overpaying for an average CB to go 3-13 either way, there's no point. Save the money use it on a real player.

Eleazar
03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
He's a career backup. So what. Our team is loaded with those.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 11:57 AM
In the past the Chiefs would have kept Wilkerson despite him not doing much, being easily replaceable and having another guy who can do what he does, cheaper and possibly better..

This is more a good sign than a bad one.

Fish
03-01-2008, 11:58 AM
In the past the Chiefs would have kept Wilkerson despite him not doing much, being easily replaceable and having another guy who can do what he does, cheaper and possibly better..

This is more a good sign than a bad one.

:thumb:

dj56dt58
03-01-2008, 12:00 PM
That's not a good philosophy, you don't overpay for marginal players when your team is rebuilding...

The Chiefs are not winning anything next year and a guy like Wilkerson is not hard to replace, it would be like overpaying for an average CB to go 3-13 either way, there's no point. Save the money use it on a real player.

yeah that would be true if the chiefs would go out and spend it on a real player. Do you REALLY think that's gonna happen? Me either

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-01-2008, 12:07 PM
It's funny how now that the Chiefs are doing things intelligently in free agency, all the people who bashed Mecca in the past for being Chicken Little are doing the exact things they derided him for.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 12:08 PM
yeah that would be true if the chiefs would go out and spend it on a real player. Do you REALLY think that's gonna happen? Me either

Wait till they get in a different spot, you don't build championship teams in FA..you build them on draft day and supplement in a FA here or there. Right now it serves no point to be overpaying for guys when the Chiefs have no core.

I'd rather be here in 3 years with a real nice young core of talent going...we got 50 million dollars of cap room and we have a good young team, like Green Bay..that front office knows what it is doing.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 12:09 PM
It's funny how now that the Chiefs are doing things intelligently in free agency, all the people who bashed Mecca in the past for being Chicken Little are doing the exact things they derided him for.

They aren't use to it, they don't know anything else than a team that spent money to be "competitive" every year.

What have I said before....you have to risk being awful to be great.

dj56dt58
03-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Wait till they get in a different spot, you don't build championship teams in FA..you build them on draft day and supplement in a FA here or there. Right now it serves no point to be overpaying for guys when the Chiefs have no core.

I'd rather be here in 3 years with a real nice young core of talent going...we got 50 million dollars of cap room and we have a good young team, like Green Bay..that front office knows what it is doing.

yes..but the Chiefs sure as hell dont

doomy3
03-01-2008, 12:12 PM

Maybe, just maybe, Herm does. Maybe he finally convinced Clark of this, and this is him, not Carl calling these shots.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 12:12 PM

This is atleast different than what they were doing before.....before Wilkerson would have been kept...

Mecca
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Maybe, just maybe, Herm does. Maybe he finally convinced Clark of this, and this is him, not Carl calling these shots.

I don't like Herm as a coach, and I don't really think he has awesome talent evaluating skills either but his philosophy about how you acquire the players of a good team is correct....

I still think we'll see how much pull he has on draft day, I don't think there's anyway in the world Herm would take an OT over a player he feels is a stud DT after he was in Tampa for all those years.

Deberg_1990
03-01-2008, 12:15 PM

OMG!! How will we ever replace his 0.5 sack production a year??

doomy3
03-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't like Herm as a coach, and I don't really think he has awesome talent evaluating skills either but his philosophy about how you acquire the players of a good team is correct....

I still think we'll see how much pull he has on draft day, I don't think there's anyway in the world Herm would take an OT over a player he feels is a stud DT after he was in Tampa for all those years.

Yeah, the only thing is maybe he doesn't feel that Ellis or Dorsey is quite the stud DT that you do.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah, the only thing is maybe he doesn't feel that Ellis or Dorsey is quite the stud DT that you do.

He probably likes those guys more than me.....this is a man that traded 2 first round picks for DeWayne Robertson and these 2 are more well thought of than he was....

He was in Tampa for years with Sapp, Herm puts a high priority on that position.

Dave Lane
03-01-2008, 12:36 PM

So let me get this straight, doing absolutely nothing is intelligent in free agency? Wow we are making the right moves now :)

Dave

Deberg_1990
03-01-2008, 12:39 PM
So let me get this straight, doing absolutely nothing is intelligent in free agency? Wow we are making the right moves now :)

Dave

So you want the Chiefs to go out and blow big money on a couple of "OK" FA's just to try and win maybe 2 more games a year??

Woopee! So we go 6-10 next year instead of 4-12 or 3-13.

The Chiefs are looking long-term (thank God for once) while your looking at the short term.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 12:40 PM
So you want the Chiefs to go out and blow big money on a couple of "OK" FA's just to try and win maybe 2 more games a year??

Woopee! So we go 6-10 next year instead of 4-12 or 3-13.

The Chiefs are looking long-term (thank God for once) while your looking at the short term.

The Chiefs are killing everyones good time drinking party every Sunday now by not being competitive or good enough to win most of the home games....many people sure seem satisfied with that.

melbar
03-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Wilkerson?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Who will keep the bench warm for our second tier starting D?:)

Reaper16
03-01-2008, 12:42 PM
As htismaqe used to have in his sig line: Better than bad does not equal good. This is an acceptable loss and a good sign.

jjchieffan
03-01-2008, 12:45 PM

No, if Herm was calling the shots we would have signed Josh Brown and traded for Vilma.

BigRock
03-01-2008, 12:46 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!

NOT JIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=75048&stc=1

Coogs
03-01-2008, 12:59 PM

:clap::clap::clap:

Skip Towne
03-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Wilkerson looked really good walking through the hotel lobby.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
The Chiefs do have a core defensively.
Offensively? Not nearly as much, but you still have productive pieces. Three of them.
We just need to shore up the line to allow our QB to utilize them to the best of his ability.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
The Chiefs do have a core defensively.
Offensively? Not nearly as much, but you still have productive pieces. Three of them.
We just need to shore up the line to allow our QB to utilize them to the best of his ability.

3 players is not a core....

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:21 PM
3 players is not a core....

Allen, Hali, Johnson, Page and Pollard aren't three players either.
And if Williams signs you can add another name.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Allen, Hali, Johnson, Page and Pollard aren't three players either.
And if Williams signs you can add another name.

Core players are guys your team is built around....

I was being nice and including Hali and Johnson but to this point they are complimentary players and not core players. If they become pro bowl caliber players then they are core guys.

Page and Pollard I'm not even sure are starters on a good team, especially Pollard.

Micjones
03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Core players are guys your team is built around....

A team couldn't build around players like Hali, Johnson, and Allen?
Page and Pollard can be argued...

I was being nice and including Hali and Johnson but to this point they are complimentary players and not core players. If they become pro bowl caliber players then they are core guys.

Johnson played at a Pro Bowl level this year.
Allen was a first-time Pro Bowler in 2007. You mean to tell me he wasn't a "core" player the year prior?
Come on...

Few teams have 4 or 5 core players. On one side of the ball.
And if we're ever going to have that kind of team makeup we'll have to do so by making good decisions in BOTH the Draft and Free Agency.

Iowanian
03-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Meh.

Wilkerson had a lot of hype coming in, and He sure seemed to be a leader when I watched the team in mankato last year, but it never really delivered on the field.

He was a nice depth and rotational option, but is not irreplaceable. I'd guess a rookie can come in and produce as much on the field at a cheaper price than he commanded.

Mecca
03-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Derrick Johnson to me is a good player but he isn't an elite player at his position...he's not top 10 now..he's not someone where you mark as one of your 5-10 guys that your team is absolutely built around.

DJ was suppose to be that and he hasn't lived up to it, it doesn't mean he sucks or the Chiefs should get rid of him, I'm just being honest about what he is.

I still think this team needs a real leader on the field, Allens turned into a great player but I don't think he's a Ray Lewis leader out there.

DaWolf
03-01-2008, 01:45 PM
This is akin to letting someone else sign Eric Hicks...

Archie Bunker
03-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Rejoice that the days of holding on to the Wilkersons, Grigsbys, and Chris Horns of the world are over do not be sad.

RustShack
03-01-2008, 02:11 PM
They drafted another more talented Wilkerson in Turk McBride, we don't need a bunch of DT/DE hybrids on our team.

Sure-Oz
03-01-2008, 03:00 PM
They drafted another more talented Wilkerson in Turk McBride, we don't need a bunch of DT/DE hybrids on our team.

Turk Mcbride can return kicks too.....:hmmm:

Micjones
03-01-2008, 03:00 PM

And in one season he already has as many sacks as Wilkerson does on his CAREER.

Chiefmanwillcatch
03-01-2008, 03:12 PM
OMG, no not Jimmy Wilkerson!!! He has been an anchor for us the last few years!!

ROFL

hohoho

Chiefmanwillcatch
03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Wilkerson?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Who will keep the bench warm for our second tier starting D?:)

:doh!:

lol

Mr. Laz
03-01-2008, 03:26 PM
that sucks ..... JA and JW are the only 2 free agents i wanted to keep after the signing of colquitt

Rain Man
03-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm really annoyed by this. Wilkerson was a solid player for us.

Deberg_1990
03-01-2008, 06:30 PM
The Chiefs are killing everyones good time drinking party every Sunday now by not being competitive or good enough to win most of the home games....many people sure seem satisfied with that.

Wow, i think you just hit the nail on the head exactly.

But i understand the mentality and where it came from so i sympathize a little bit. I just wish people were a little more open to this youth rebuild. Most teams in the NFL go through this every 7-8 years. The Chiefs never have in Carls entire time in KC.

Easy 6
03-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Nobody was rooting for "Top Jimmy" more than me, he really flashed that he was ready to bust out in 06...consistently around the play in limited duty, i was predicting a leap year for him.

But he got a much better look this year, his best yet shot...and he just didnt do much with it.

Love ya for sticking it out here, but this is also a business baby...good luck.

Chiefs_5627
03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Good luck to him but im not losing any sleep over it.

stonedstooge
03-01-2008, 08:43 PM
With all these players that are talked of being dumped and we aren't going into the free agency market accept for players of Jon McGraw's price and talent, with 10? is that the number of draft picks? How the hell are they going to field a team?

Mecca, you going to play? You can't dump everyone. Herm talks about Arena Football, are we going to have enough players to field an Arena Football team? Do you think that there is enough talent out there that will not get drafted that we can pick up that will be able to play at a professional level? Hell most of the lower draft picks that teams choose don't even make their team and we expect all 10 to be starters their first year?

I foresee a season that it may be tough to win one game. I don't know where all these magical players are going to appear from that make this team look much better than some NAIA J.V. football team.

El Jefe
03-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Why? Because they didn't re-sign Jimmy Wilkerson? How many years has he had to prove that he could become a starter in the NFL?

Not a big deal...

QFT

blueballs
03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Sims - Bennett - Wilkerson
Gruden has gone madd with KC castoffs

Mecca
03-02-2008, 12:54 AM
With all these players that are talked of being dumped and we aren't going into the free agency market accept for players of Jon McGraw's price and talent, with 10? is that the number of draft picks? How the hell are they going to field a team?

Mecca, you going to play? You can't dump everyone. Herm talks about Arena Football, are we going to have enough players to field an Arena Football team? Do you think that there is enough talent out there that will not get drafted that we can pick up that will be able to play at a professional level? Hell most of the lower draft picks that teams choose don't even make their team and we expect all 10 to be starters their first year?

I foresee a season that it may be tough to win one game. I don't know where all these magical players are going to appear from that make this team look much better than some NAIA J.V. football team.

You put young guys on the field? Guys from the draft, UDFA guys.....if you're gonna be bad you do it with young players and see if anyone them stick and can be part of your team when it's good.