PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Backs Rating 2007

EyePod
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I found this article (I hope it's not repost) about the top/bottom Defensive backs in the league. I've put the Chiefs stuff in Bold.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/12/21/ramblings/stat-analysis/5920/

Charting Defensive Backs 2007 (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/12/21/ramblings/stat-analysis/5920/)

12/21/2007
by Aaron Schatz
As promised earlier today in the Game Charters Speak (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/12/21/ramblings/5909/) piece, here’s a look at our early game charting stats for defensive backs. Last year we did this in the FOX blog (RIP) but we haven’t really gotten to any of the numbers this season.
These numbers are based on charting through Week 13. The average team has had 10.5 games charted so far, so it’s a good amount of data. These numbers won’t be quite as accurate as the ones that show up in Pro Football Prospectus, because I don’t have the time to break down and adjust for when we have two defenders listed for one pass, or Hole in Zone, and so on. Still, they give us a reasonable idea of who is having a good season or a bad one.
Thanks again to all the game charters for putting in so much time, and Bill Moore for organizing everything, and Derek Marr, who is the intern responsible for cleaning up the charting data this year so that it is sortable.
Each of the following tables is based on a minimum of 35 charted passes, and I’m only listing defensive backs. These numbers may be a little different from what ran earlier today in the comments about New <nobr>Orleanshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/5.gif</nobr> (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/12/21/ramblings/stat-analysis/5920/#), since those were only through Week 11. Success rate is defined here (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/glossary.php#defense_success_rate); yards per pass includes all passes where this defensive back is listed as the defender, not just completions. Remember, these are not adjusted for opponent or which defensive back had to cover the other team’s star receiver more often.

Best Success Rate

Charles Woodson, GB: 70%
Roderick Hood, ARI: 66%
Fakhir Brown, STL: 65%
Mike McKenzie, NO: 64%
Anthony Henry, DAL: 63%
Jabari Greer, BUF: 63%
Dunta Robinson, HOU: 63%
Richard Marshall, CAR: 63%
Champ Bailey, DEN: 63%
Will Allen, MIA: 62%
Asante Samuel, NE: 62%
Ty Law, KC: 60%
Terrence McGee, BUF: 60%

Well, there’s your first big shock in the coverage stats. Fakhir Brown? The Rams defense sucks. Fakhir Brown sucks, or at least, so we thought. Fakhir Brown was 56th in Success Rate last year. I have a feeling this is our early-season sample size fluke; last year, if you remember, Fred Thomas was pretty good through the first few weeks before he got all flame-o-riffic at midseason. Still… to give an example, we have eight passes charted with Brown as the main defender in Week 7, and only one of those was complete, a 12-yard pass to Nate Burleson early in the first quarter. Seattle wins 33-6, but for some reason Hasselbeck can’t throw to anyone covered by Brown. Then in Week 12, we have another six Hasselbeck passes charted with Brown as the defender, with two first downs, two incompletes, an interception, and a 10-yard completion on third-and-19 with the Seahawks on the Rams 25. So we know Brown can cover Seahawks, at least.
I’m also shocked to see Ty Law here. Since he signed in Kansas City, he has looked awful every time I watch the Chiefs. Last year he had a 43 percent Success Rate, which ranked him 74th among cornerbacks. I have no idea if he’s playing better, or this is scheme, or the improved Kansas City pass rush making it harder for quarterbacks, or just sample size. Terrence McGee also had a 43 percent Success Rate last year, so he’s a surprise, but at least he’s still a young player. Law looked like a shell of the great cornerback he once was.
For the most part, the rest of these guys are players you would expect to be near the top. The sample sizes of pass coverage are small enough that being first instead of eighth really does not mean much. What’s important is to be good in these stats year after year, like Bailey and Samuel. Note that Greer and Robinson are both at exactly 35 pass targets, which was my minimum for being ranked.
For those curious, out of the few linebackers with lots of pass targets, the clear standout is A.J. Hawk, with a Success Rate of 69 percent.

Best Yards per Pass

Roderick Hood, ARI: 4.3
Asante Samuel, NE: 4.5
Will Allen, MIA: 4.5
Terrence Newman, DAL: 4.7
Jabari Greer, BUF: 5.0
Terrence McGee, BUF: 5.0
Mike McKenzie, NO: 5.5
Tye Hill, STL: 5.8
Jason Craft, NO: 5.9
Anthony Henry, DAL: 6.0
Deshea Townsend, PIT: 6.0
Jarrod Bush, GB: 6.0

Mostly the same guys. With a Success Rate of just 49 percent but only 6.0 yards per pass, Deshea Townsend is apparently king of the short third-down completion. And look, another Rams cornerback whose presence on this list makes no sense. The safeties are listed with terrible numbers so I do need to check if the Rams stuff is getting marked accurately, or if we’re mistakenly penalizing the deep help when the man corner gets burned. Also, Lenny Walls does suck, so at least there’s one Rams corner whose numbers make sense (10.2 yards per pass).

Worst Success Rate

Jason David, NO: 32%
Stanley Wilson, DET: 36%
Johnathan Joseph, CIN: 39%
Leon Hall, CIN: 40%
Drayton Florence, SD: 41%
Marlin Jackson, IND: 41%
Lito Sheppard, PHI: 41%
Roy Williams, DAL: 41%
Eric Green, ARI: 42%
Darrelle Revis, NYJ: 42%
Atari Bigby, GB: 42%

David must have been better in Weeks 12 and 13, but he still has ridiculously bad numbers that make you wonder why anyone would ever throw to a receiver covered by Mike McKenzie. The Bengals have no pass defense. So much for my comments in the book that Drayton Florence is better than Quentin Jammer. Lito Sheppard has now gone from terrible to amazing to terrible in the three years we’ve been charting, but at least this backs up the comments in the Game Charters Speak article that he has not been as good this year. A couple of the safeties who get burned the most when they have to play man are here, including our new favorite whipping boy, Atari Bigby. Sorry, Atari, we kid because we love. Well, because we love nearly every other player on the Packers who isn’t you.

Worst Yards per Pass

Jason David, NO: 14.5
Hole in Zone, 11.9

Yes, Jason David is worse than throwing at a hole in the zone. Fred Thomas gave up 9.3 yards per pass last year. Egads. I guess not every player is meant to play in every defensive scheme.

Michael Huff, OAK: 10.8
Stanley Wilson, DET: 10.7
Drayton Florence, SD: 10.6
Corey Ivy, BAL: 10.0
Leon Hall, CIN: 9.6
Patrick Surtain, KC: 9.3
David Barrett, NYJ: 9.1
Cedric Griffin, MIN: 9.0
Al Harris, GB: 8.8

Al Harris also has a 47 percent Success Rate so far this year. We love Al Harris, but he’s had an off year even while the team around him is soaring, and that Pro Bowl selection was a lifetime achievement award.

Most Targets per Charted Pass Here are the players most often listed as DEFENDER1 compared to the number of passes charted for their defense. We can’t really do fewest targets without correcting for games played and a bunch of other stuff that takes lots of time.

Jacques Reeves, the Human Target, DAL: 21%
Nate Clements, SF: 20%
Will Allen, MIA: 20%
Ike Taylor, PIT: 20%
Marcus Trufant, SEA: 19%
Sam Madison, NYG: 19%
Kelvin Hayden, IND: 19%
Kelly Jennings, SEA: 19%
Dre’ Bly (aka “away from Champ Bailey”), DEN: 18%
Nick Harper, TEN: 18%
DeAngelo Hall, ATL: 18%
Darelle Revis, NYJ, 18%

Somebody should tell the teams playing <nobr>Miamihttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/1.gif</nobr> (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/12/21/ramblings/stat-analysis/5920/#) that Will Allen is a lot better than Michael Lehan. Lehan has a 47 percent Success Rate and 8.1 yards per pass. Other than New Orleans, that’s probably the biggest discrepancy between the two starting corners on one team.
Oh, and one more note. To whoever told me earlier this year that our binky Leigh Bodden is not playing as well this year, well, you are correct. His Success Rate is just 52 percent, and he’s letting up 7.8 yards per pass. That makes me sad.

I think the whole analysis seems pretty solid, but I can't believe that Ty Law did that well. And I'm not surprised that Surtain Sucked that much. I hope the cap hit we would have taken from Ty Law is used well.... or else maybe we should have paid him more. We do have mediocre safeties..... That doesn't help when running a cover 2. Does anyone know who normally lined up on the same side as Law/Surtain?

EyePod
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I meant "I hope it's not a repost" in the parenthesis... I can't figure out how to edit it... whatever....

Mr. Laz
03-03-2008, 10:43 AM
stats are misleading ..... especially with a veteran guy like Law.

how many times did law get beat only to "stop" and start pointing at the safety before the play was even over. He wanted to make sure that everyone knew that it was "his fault"

far more concerned about his stats than actual success of the defense.

kinda like how some baseball players don't try to make a play on a ball because it might be an error if they can do it. They rather have it be considered a base hit than risk an error.

L.A. Chieffan
03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
stats are misleading ..... especially with a veteran guy like Law.

Not to mention the fact that a guy covering the opposing teams 2nd option in Cover 2 SHOULD be putting up numbers like that. For the price we pay for Law he's still way overrated

EyePod
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Not to mention the fact that a guy covering the opposing teams 2nd option in Cover 2 SHOULD be putting up numbers like that. For the price we pay for Law he's still way overrated

I was just surprised because it seemed like most of the other corners on that list were pretty good. I'm not saying that I thought we should have kept him, just saying I couldn't believe that he was even on that list.

Dylan
03-03-2008, 03:18 PM
For those who may be unfamiliar with the Football Outsiders it uses a value based system based on the book, "The Hidden Game of Football." Then they expand upon a basic idea with their ridiculously complicated system that no one seems to get but the New England website owner, Aaron Schatz and his band of writers. On the other hand, Schatz has a partnership with FOXSports.com.

To be clear, this is about his system. The only thing that makes sense to me, is the stats provided by the NFL each week.

Excerpts from his prediction of Super Bowl XLII using his DVOA system, written 2/1/2008:
Super Bowl XLII is the biggest mismatch in Super Bowl history. If you have been reading Football Outsiders for the last couple of weeks, this statement will not come as a surprise. I’ve written about it a few times, both here and at ESPN.com. There’s no reason to go through all the numbers again.

Football Outsiders tracks so many stats that I can guarantee I missed something. Probably a few things. Nevertheless, there is a lot of information here. Giants fans are not going to be pleased with most of it. The main focus of this website is objective analysis. The numbers simply do not favor a Giants victory. There is no way around this. (Our game charting statistics are a bit subjective, so I went and checked: 13 different people charted Giants games this year, and 14 different people charted Patriots games.)

When the Giants are mentioned, imagine that we are instead talking about the Arizona Cardinals.

The Patriots undefeated season was nearly wrecked several times against the better teams in the NFL, especially during the month of December. To make matters worse, nobody had seen a team run up the scores the way the Patriots were doing against less talented teams.

Too bad classy HOF Joe Gibbs and the others, did not run off the field before the game officially ended.

BigChiefFan
03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Law did a decent job for us. He was helter-skelter in a lot of ways. Some games he looked great and other games, he handed the other team freebies. I sure as Hell won't miss all of his fall-down and let the other team score antics, but I'm not going to discount his play when he was on. That playoff game against the Colts(in Indy), Law was worth every penny and more. Consistentancy is not part of Law's game anymore unfortunately. If we were smart, we should have considered him at safety. I think he could displace Pollard until we can find a more suitable player. Pollard looks like a bust to me at this point. His coverage skills suck. All that said, Law is no longer a reliable CB, so I'm glad to see us spend the money elsewhere.

htismaqe
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Law did a decent job for us. He was helter-skelter in a lot of ways. Some games he looked great and other games, he handed the other team freebies. I sure as Hell won't miss all of his fall-down and let the other team score antics, but I'm not going to discount his play when he was on. That playoff game against the Colts(in Indy), Law was worth every penny and more. Consistentancy is not part of Law's game anymore unfortunately. If we were smart, we should have considered him at safety. I think he could displace Pollard until we can find a more suitable player. Pollard looks like a bust to me at this point. His coverage skills suck. All that said, Law is no longer a reliable CB, so I'm glad to see us spend the money elsewhere.

There were a couple of distinct plays I remember this past season where people here were blaming Pollard and after watching the play from a few angles it was obvious that he was trying to cover for the other safety, who was out of position.

Bottom line is that Pollard shouldn't have probably been drafted by this team if they're going to rigidly adhere to the Cover 2. He's a hitter, not a CB. And his problems are aggravated by the fact that he's playing next to Page, who has coverage problems of his own.