PDA

View Full Version : Where is he know? - Okoye

Bweb
03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Espn currently has this posted on their NFL site.

"It was a typical outing for former Kansas City Chiefs running back Christian Okoye, a mixture of posing with fans for pictures and signing memorabilia while making an appearance several years ago in Las Vegas. But a young man standing in line who stopped to talk left an impression.

"He was telling me that he was a veteran of the CFL [Canadian Football League] for 11 years. He had gone to one of my clinics in 1993," recalled Okoye, who now lives in the Los Angeles area and runs a foundation to help young people develop their skills.

"He told me that the program had helped him a whole lot. … He grew up in a group home, not a good situation, and the clinic inspired him to dream and get his life going in the right direction. He made decisions to change his situation. "

Former Kansas City Chiefs running back Christian Okoye, dubbed the "Nigerian Nightmare" because of his bruising running style, now reaches out to boys and girls through his foundation.
Okoye, the man once known as the "Nigerian Nightmare" for his bruising running style, is now a dream-maker. He relishes the numerous hospital visits he makes each year and joining former teammates and other greats of the game to make a positive impact on the community. He has no problem with his role or the expectations placed on him.

"Anytime a person succeeds, whether you like it or not, you are a role model," Okoye said. "Whether I like it or not, it is the case. I like it. I chose to embrace it."

Okoye, a native of Nigeria, was one of the most over-powering running backs of his era. His six-year career in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs -- cut short by a knee injury -- was highlighted by two Pro Bowl appearances and the league rushing title in 1989. He retired with three playoff appearances on his résumé and was selected to the Chiefs Hall of Fame in 2000. Now, he's an entrepreneur, a high school football coach and a man with a burning desire to help young people.

Eddie Lange knows this better than almost anyone. As one of Okoye's oldest friends, Lange founded ARC, a physical rehabilitation center in Riverside, Calif. He and his wife, Jessica, are directors of the Christian Okoye Foundation, an unpaid role. Expanding from Okoye's work in clinics and camps, Lange pushed for the former All-Pro to grow his outreach efforts with hospital visits.

"What drives me is doing something good," Okoye said. "Doing what we do, seeing the kids happy and running around with other athletes…I believe that when you succeed, there were people along the way who helped you. I know that was the case for me."

At age 46, Okoye's ambition remains as strong as his name recognition in Kansas City.

"I never really understood his celebrity until I went back to Kansas City with him for an event," Eddie Lange said. "I was amazed. … People still genuinely have admiration for him. … The fans seek him out more than any other retired player."

It is his iconic status that allows Okoye to follow his heart. Born August 16, 1961, Okoye grew up in Nigeria in poor conditions. He dreamed of fame and fortune, but opportunities were few. He remembers having athletes as role models when he was growing up.

"When I was in Nigeria, we didn't have professional athletes coming out to clinics or visit schools, it just didn't happen," Okoye said. "I wanted to give to kids what I didn't have."

Okoye came to the United States in 1982 to compete in track and field at Azusa Pacific University in California. His imposing strength and size led him to football. The chance to compete in sports opened up the classroom for him.

Through sports, Okoye hopes to inspire a generation of young people whom he sees as neglected and often without hope.

"Sports can be the ticket for getting them out of where they are at," Okoye said. "Sometimes in the inner city, the kids only know that environment. We try to bring them out, show them what it is like to have dreams."

Back in the day, Okoye was the man.:rockon:

Reerun_KC
03-03-2008, 01:20 PM
where is he know? WTF?

You mean "Where is he now?"

Rasputin
03-03-2008, 01:20 PM
God bless you #35

Pitt Gorilla
03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I would guess he's probably not signing autographs with Dan S.

Bweb
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
where is he know? WTF?

You mean "Where is he now?"

Ya...that too!:)

HemiEd
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I would guess he's probably not signing autographs with Dan S.

He is too busy to sign 8x10s for the Planet.

Iowanian
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I know where he ISN'T now.....

on a free autographed 8x10 in my man cave.

chasedude
03-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Nigerian Nightmare... glad I wasn't around here when he promised to sign 8 x 10's and didn't do it. What was it he was sellling on here? Vitamins?

BigVE
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
I got a KC hat signed by Okoye. He was in a mall in Topeka a few years ago for autograph signing. We were staying the night in Topeka before the KC game the next day and we just stopped in the mall for something to do. I looked up and saw some big dude with a couple of people in line in front of him. I asked another vendor who it was and he said it was C. Okoye. I bought a hat and had it signed...nobody else was in line when I went up to the dude. We chit chatted for a bit and that was that. He was cool. He was one of the main reasons I started paying attention to the Chiefs back when I was a teenager. He is/was still a big 'ol dude.

melbar
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Awesome in his prime. He got owned on pros vs joes last week...

listopencil
03-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I scanned a copy of my autographed 8x10 and I saved it on a Thumb Drive that I got free from MS. I'm good to go.

Sure-Oz
03-03-2008, 03:14 PM

haha seriously?

Deberg_1990
03-03-2008, 03:39 PM

Well lets see....by my guess, he must be somewhere around 43-45 now??

NY CHIEF
03-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Lets see..........yep still waiting for my promised pic :cuss:

Demonpenz
03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
probably still reeling from the atwater hit somewhere

melbar
03-03-2008, 11:06 PM
haha seriously?

Ya the guys all took him down within 5 yards. He tried to just plow over them and they drug him down.
Still love the guy though!

Rausch
03-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I got my auto.

But then, I actually did buy his after-football product. You know, pretty much why he did the whole local tour.

And I have to admit, I was pleased.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Ya the guys all took him down within 5 yards. He tried to just plow over them and they drug him down.
Still love the guy though!

So true, yet so far....

He was HARD to bring down; but once down, he stayed down...a great, but not legendary running back....like he could have earned from a couple of more years, and/or positions on a roster somewhere. :)

Mosbonian
03-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I got my auto.

But then, I actually did buy his after-football product. You know, pretty much why he did the whole local tour.

And I have to admit, I was pleased.

Great Brad......but when he was pimping the product wasn't he promising free autographs?

IMO all he had to do was be honest and say that he wanted us to buy his products first and then he would hand out autographs.

mmaddog

Rausch
03-03-2008, 11:23 PM
So true, yet so far....

He was HARD to bring down; but once down, he stayed down...a great, but not legendary running back....like he could have earned from a couple of more years, and/or positions on a roster somewhere. :)

One of the top 10 Power HB's in history.

He wasn't just some Donnel Bennett clone, he was a force with speed. He hit the line and about 3 yards afterward you would just see a cloud of defenders holding on and hoping to Gawd they could get him down. He was the personification of the blue collar work ethic. He EARNED his yards.

I still believe that's why Barry let (and yes, Saunders did LET him win) the rushing title in 89. He was a force.

He was even more so vs. the Raiders. It seemed like he gave more and made more after contact when he played the Fade. I don't remember what year now but I do remember that at one time there were 5 guys on a pile and he just kept pushing for a 15 yard gain. And this was about 5 yards past the LOS. He shrugged a few and drug a few and I was sold.

I was a Bo Jackson fan (7th grade) but I became a Chiefs fan watching them take a more talented team to school. And it was how they did it. It was heart, less talent, and just more give-a-**** than the other team had. The Chiefs would not give up and the Fade would.

It was not a matter of "if" but "when."

greg63
03-03-2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ddO5ENtus

Rausch
03-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Great Brad......but when he was pimping the product wasn't he promising free autographs?

IMO all he had to do was be honest and say that he wanted us to buy his products first and then he would hand out autographs.

mmaddog

Honestly, I don't think he completely understood how many people would show up/ask for one. The guy really looks at himself as just some player who was there for a while and (at that time) had no idea how much impact showing up here would have.

I went there with what I thought was a nice Camcorder and the advice my buddy gave which was to shoot 4x the amount of footage you expect to use. So I did. I was there for like 3 hours (between getting autos and filming) and by the end just ****ing creeped Dan and Christian out.

But never once did they say a word or tell me to move. Of course I shot too much but you have to remember this is my Chiefs hero. And what's cool is they understood that and put up with it. It was Dan's place and he could have told me to piss off and go away. But he didn't. And even at the end when I slammed him for signing with the Seahawks he laughed and gave me a straight answer on why he did.

I can't defend why Christian didn't give guys pics on here but I can send footage. I can share that. I can show you how they reacted to some kids that were mentally challenged and how they treated them. How they took time to make sure everyone that day did get an auto. And those people weren't ever going to buy his product.

There was a woman there that came to him because she'd heard that he was big into charity and she ran a house for orphans and she wanted his help. Okoye took got her number and talked to her for a good 20 minutes promising he'd help. For all I know she was some bull$#it artist trying to milk him, but he left to talk to her. And it wasn't a fake deal, you could tell he really did want to.

I have this all on tape. Only afterwards did I realize I had no idea how huge raw DV footage was and that it couldn't be fed online reasonably. Besides, It looks like I'm filming the sequel to cloverfield as I'm doing it.

Short story made long Okoye would be a Joe Lewis if not for good management. He'd be the kind of guy to hand out something to anyone.

Chiefs_5627
03-04-2008, 12:10 AM

OMG thats great! That brought back some serious memories!! :clap: ROFL

Rausch
03-04-2008, 12:22 AM

Seems like you didn't have very good seats but that's EXACLTY how it happened...