PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Is Mooch a good HC?

melbar
03-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Just curious what the rest of the board thinks? Every year I expect him to be hired by someone, and there were some rumors about the Redskins this year. He had a .583 winning pct with the 49ers and got his butt kicked by Favre 2X in the NFC championship game and the Bucs in one. Then he went to the Lions black hole and fell off. I dont think he's been looked at the same since. Great relationship with players and seems very pasionate. I personally think some team could gain a lot from him and he still has quite a few years. Just courious what the board thinks of him?

Frankie
03-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Probably for some college.

Eleazar
03-05-2008, 11:04 AM
You can't argue with results.

King_Chief_Fan
03-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I know who he could place in KC, but that doesn't speak to how good he is, only how bad a certain HC in KC is.

jjchieffan
03-05-2008, 11:20 AM
He started out as an OC at SF I think. I am surprised that someone hasn't hired him as an OC at least. I guess there just isn't much interest in the west coast offense any more. That is probably the biggest thing hurting him.

chagrin
03-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Good question, I don't know - honestly I think he would have produced decent results in Detroit if they got rid of Joey when he wanted them to, and let him work his plan. In my gut though, he probably is better suited or the "rah rah" atmosphere of college

Brock
03-05-2008, 11:25 AM
He's great when he has Steve Young and Terrell Owens and Jerry Rice.

Manila-Chief
03-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Nope! May be a good OC ... but, IIRC it was Bill Walsh's offense???

You are correct King Chief Fan

melbar
03-05-2008, 11:45 AM
He had Garcia most of his tenure in GB didnt he? He helped develop Garcia, Favre, Young. Harringtons talent is really exposed in the fact that he couldnt develop under Mooch.

Chief Wiggum
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I always thought he was a decent coach, probably not top tier, but I think he could produce results. I think the key for him, though, is that he needs a strong front office in place to succeed. If someone else can play the bad cop, I think he has the right personality to get results from guys who make more than he does.

At the end of the day, Matt Millen is arguably the only GM in the NFL worse than CP. Tough for anyone to succeed in Detroit with him screwing things up...

Sure-Oz
03-05-2008, 01:07 PM
If Mooch was that good of a coach i'd think he would've landed a job by now...

Mr. Laz
03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
If Mooch was that good of a coach i'd think he would've landed a job by now...

i'd take him over Herm in a heartbeat

Sure-Oz
03-05-2008, 01:17 PM

me too, i like his takes on NFL network hehe

I still wonder why Len Dawson is not a coach on the team

DaneMcCloud
03-05-2008, 01:37 PM
He started out as an OC at SF I think. I am surprised that someone hasn't hired him as an OC at least. I guess there just isn't much interest in the west coast offense any more. That is probably the biggest thing hurting him.

No, he was the QB coach at Green Bay (on a staff that included Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, etc.). After Green Bay, he took the head coaching job at Cal-Berkeley and led them to a 6-6 record in his only season. He then was hired by the SF 49ers.

He had Garcia most of his tenure in GB didnt he? He helped develop Garcia, Favre, Young. Harringtons talent is really exposed in the fact that he couldnt develop under Mooch.

Garcia was brought in by then GM Bill Walsh to SF. He had previously been in the CFL. Personally, I don't he "helped" Steve Young because at the point when he joined the 49ers, Young already had HOF credentials.

I think he's a very good but not great head coach. And no, I would not like to see him as coach of the Chiefs. The West Coast offense isn't a good fit in that climate.

DaneMcCloud
03-05-2008, 01:38 PM
me too, i like his takes on NFL network hehe

I still wonder why Len Dawson is not a coach on the team

Len likes the good life waaaaaaayyyy too much. He's always been a big drinker and he's never been interested in the long hours required to be an NFL head coach.

I think he's MUCH happier drinking on Sunday that coaching.

melbar
03-05-2008, 08:09 PM

ditto

kcxiv
03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I liked him as an HC. No coach is going to survive in Det. I dont care who you are.

Cormac
03-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I think he did a very under-rated job in SF. That team was in disarray, and the FO was seriously dysfuntional with Bill Walsh meddling way past his welcome.

On the positive side, I think Mooch is/was one of the best HCs in the league. I'd be a fan again if he was hired.

On the negative side, he's probably got too much Norv Turner (nice guy) and DV (offense only) about him to be a big success - and the WCO has had its day.

But he has more coaching talent in his toenails than Herm will ever have.