PDA

View Full Version : Huard to the Packers?

T-post Tom
03-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Probably far-fetched but something the FO should consider.

Aaron Rodgers is the heir apparent to the (in Madden voice) great Brett Favre. The Packers' coaches have been grooming Rodgers for this day, but have big concerns over his durability. A lot of the NFL media guys have been confident in their statements about this and the likelihood that the Packers will be shopping for a veteran backup QB.

Some of the guys on NFL Radio also talked about how Rodgers is very unlike Favre in that he's not a scrambler and he's less free-lancing. They want him to be a pocket passer and stay within his check-downs. This sounds alot like our good friend Damon Huard. Which leads me to my supposition: the Chiefs would be better served by trading Huard for a draft pick(s), a young player of need, or a combo of both. Whatever the trade package, the Chiefs would be better served getting a young player of need and allowing another young QB to develop and possibly compete with Brody. Huard wouldn't be a big hit to the cap as the Chiefs got him on the cheap. It helps the Pack and the Chiefs. The way I see it, Huard serves little value in what has become a rebuilding year for the Chiefs. That said, I realize that the Packers would have to be interested in Huard. But if were running the FO, I'd make the first phone call. JMHO.

milkman
03-05-2008, 08:27 PM
The Pack ain't that stupid.

T-post Tom
03-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Aw come on, Huard's credentials are just what the Pack wants for a backup: experienced, durable, willingness to be a backup and not too pricey. Seems like a fit to me.

Buehler445
03-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Aw come on, Huard's credentials are just what the Pack wants for a backup: experienced, durable, willingness to be a backup and not too pricey. Seems like a fit to me.

I don't think they want the "suck" credential.

Really, I think he could be a good fit for them because their line isn't AWEFUL and can give him more time than the Chiefs line did.

On the other hand, I'm not certain they have an LJ type to lean on like they did when he was having some success. Also, the throws are A LOT different than what he was making here. Those short timed passes, he may struggle with as well as the screens they run, but he didn't throw an aweful lot of them here.

I think going into this year it might have happened, but after his aweful performance this year, I can only hope.

milkman
03-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Captain Fetal Checkdown is only fit for pampers.

OnTheWarpath15
03-05-2008, 08:37 PM
According to Rotoworld, the Pack are interested in a different ex-Chief at QB.

Trent.

Green.

CrazyPhuD
03-05-2008, 08:39 PM
are the packers WR 7ft tall? Because those are the only ones who can consistently catch the turd's passes.

03-05-2008, 08:46 PM
ROFL ROFL

the Talking Can
03-05-2008, 08:47 PM
"....are you serious?...you want a draft pick from us for Damon Huard?...."

"Yeah, he's a solid player and you nee..."

"is your brain made of dick?"

"....uh...."

Hoover
03-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Um why the hell would the Pack give us anything or even want Haurd when they can go out and get Mark Brunell who played there and knows the system? Oh and is a FA

EyePod
03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
I think he's the perfect backup for a young QB. When he hasn't been playing every week, I have no fear when he comes in the game. He is above average when in this situation, but he's definitely not good enough to start every game. Even when he came in for a few when Brodie got injured, he did well. I think that would be a huge loss. I don't want Thigpen to be our backup.....or David Greene if Thigpen is still hurt....

Huffman83
03-05-2008, 08:50 PM

EyePod
03-05-2008, 08:51 PM
And never mind, he was terrible last season except for that last game. Maybe he'll be fine with rest like the year before? Maybe I thrive on false hopes?

T-post Tom
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I think he's the perfect backup for a young QB. When he hasn't been playing every week, I have no fear when he comes in the game. He is above average when in this situation, but he's definitely not good enough to start every game. Even when he came in for a few when Brodie got injured, he did well. I think that would be a huge loss. I don't want Thigpen to be our backup.....or David Greene if Thigpen is still hurt....

I'd agree with you if I thought that the Chiefs had an opportunity for anything other than a rebuilding year.

T-post Tom
03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
"....are you serious?...you want a draft pick from us for Damon Huard?...."

"Yeah, he's a solid player and you nee..."

"....uh...."

Ok, you're not a Huard fan. But he's cheap and he fits the Packers' profile of what they want. Would you not be happy with a Huard trade?

The Franchise
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Huard durable? He's only durable when we have a chance to win the game. He'll throw an interception for a touchdown and then act like he hurt his hand.

milkman
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
The only team that trades for players that they can get for free are the Chiefs.

Damon Huard is a dime a dozen kind of player.

a1na2
03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
According to Rotoworld, the Pack are interested in a different ex-Chief at QB.

Trent.

Green.

Green has been cleared to play. No signs of complications from concussions.

If he can do it I'd back the move.

I'd rather not see Trent as an invalid, but if that's the choice he makes I hope he does well.

MIAdragon
03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
The only team that trades for players that they can get for free are the Chiefs.

GD QFT.:mad:

OnTheWarpath15
03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Green has been cleared to play. No signs of complications from concussions.

If he can do it I'd back the move.

I'd rather not see Trent as an invalid, but if that's the choice he makes I hope he does well.

Me too.

From the looks of it, he'll either be backing up Rodgers in Green Bay, Brees in New Orleans, or most likely (IMO) Bulger in STL.

EyePod
03-05-2008, 09:13 PM

You forgot the Bucs!!! Ryan Sims!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Hoover
03-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Isn't the PACK and Chiefs in the same boat, young QB needs a vet back up.

I just don't know why peopel think teams will give us picks for our shit.

Sure-Oz
03-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Huards real value was the year before this past year

pikesome
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM

This is the greatest line ever typed on CP.

melbar
03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
If they are going to trade for a player they'll call Tampa Bay. They have a stockpile of QB's. Plummer, Griese, or anyone else on their roster would be better than Huard.

RustShack
03-05-2008, 09:41 PM

Thread over!

Deberg_1990
03-05-2008, 09:42 PM

This will be Rodgers 4th year in the league.

Hindsites always 20/20, but looking back now, its too bad the Chiefs didnt select him over DJ in the 05 draft.

Coach
03-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I think what bothers me is why that wuss quitter is still on this team....

Buehler445
03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I think what bothers me is why that wuss quitter is still on this team....

Yessir. If anyone offers ANY pick for him, Carl better jump on it like a fat kid on a double fudge blizzard.

T-post Tom
03-05-2008, 11:11 PM

I just don't know why peopel think teams will give us picks for our shit.

They're not even in the same ocean. The Pack made it to the NFC title game and have the makings of a good team without Favre. The Chiefs are strictly rebuilding. Why do the Chiefs need a veteran backup when they have no intention/hope of making the playoffs? Next season is strictly about player development and another year of good draft picks.

T-post Tom
03-05-2008, 11:12 PM
This is the greatest line ever typed on CP.

Not a ringing endorsement of your discernment. :)

T-post Tom
03-05-2008, 11:17 PM
You forgot the Bucs!!! Ryan Sims!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Good point. Where there's a need and perceived value, there's a trade to be made. AFAIC, a 2nd day pick would be just fine for Huard. Or even better, one of our picks and Huard for a higher pick. Just as an example: Huard and our 7th for GB's 4th. There's room for creative thought on the part of both teams. All I'm saying is why not make the phone call and investigate? The FO needs to create opportunities while they have the flexibility of being in a "rebuilding" year.