PDA

View Full Version : Wesley wants Chiefs to let him go

alanm
03-06-2008, 01:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/518985.html

Wesley wants Chiefs to let him go

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

<!-- START /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> <script language="Javascript"> function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); } </script> <!-- photo or image available --> <!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
(http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/03/05/22/356-greg_wesley_mug_03-06-2008_MB11LSEF.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)

<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
<!-- Commenting out fact box for Jody Cox --> <!-- /mi/pubsys/story/asset_list, include_asset_type=>"factbox" -->
<!-- END /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> <table> </table> Greg Wesley’s resolve to keep silent started to weaken recently when the Chiefs released several other veterans, but not him.That resolve disappeared altogether as Wesley saw other safeties like Madieu Williams and Gibril Wilson receive massive paydays on the free-agent market.
So Wesley took public his desire to be traded or released, something he long ago asked the Chiefs.
“I’ve talked with everybody: Carl (Peterson), Gunther (Cunningham), Herm (Edwards),” said Wesley, who will turn 30 this month. “I’ve just told them we all know I’m not in their plans, so why are they holding me? They’ve had more than a year to trade me. They could have traded me last year. They chose not to. I was good about it, didn’t cause distractions or problems during the season. I was really good about it, considering the way they handled it.
“Now that’s over. It’s a business, and I understand that maybe they were doing what they needed to do. But just let me go now. They’re holding me here, and teams need safeties. Let me find another team. Are they going to hold me until there are no more jobs? I could find a pretty good deal out there right now, but if they hold me much longer, I’m going to get a (lesser) contract.”
That’s the reason for Wesley’s urgency. The free-agent market has already started to dry up as teams fill their needs.
“They told me they were going to let me go right when the season was over,” Wesley said. “But I’m still here, and look what’s happening now. Guys are signing with other teams and taking jobs away from me.
“This is my livelihood. My career took a little bit of a hit last year. I’ve been a starter, and then last year they gave a guy my position. There was no competition. They just gave it to him. So it’s obvious they don’t want me. So why not let me go on my way? Let me get my career back on track. Let me go play. I’m not a backup.”
The Chiefs declined to respond to questions about Wesley other than to say they would try to exhaust all possibilities to trade him.
“They tell me I’m too valuable to just let me go,” Wesley said. “Huh? If I’m so valuable, I would have been starting last year. I know I’m not going to be here next year, and they know it. So just let me go on my way.
“A lot of teams are releasing guys they could hold. But they just release them out of respect for them. I’ve been here eight years and worked hard. I understand it’s a business, but I think I’ve earned it because I’ve done a lot for the Chiefs. Look at what Atlanta did for Warrick Dunn. They just let him go.”
The contract Wesley signed with the Chiefs in 2004 runs two more seasons. He is due $3.2 million in salary and bonuses this year and $3.7 million in 2009.
Wesley’s unhappiness with the Chiefs began in earnest last year. His starting-safety spot of seven seasons was, he said, given away without competition when the Chiefs made regulars of Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard.
He asked out last year, and the Chiefs almost had a deal in place with Denver for a fourth-round draft pick. The Chiefs, not wanting to send him to an AFC West rival, backed out right before the trade was made.
They later could have sent him to Houston for a seventh-round choice, but that deal was scrapped when Wesley wouldn’t agree to take a pay cut.
“We don’t play the game for free,” Wesley said.
The Chiefs recently tried to rekindle trade talks by offering Wesley to the Broncos for cornerback Karl Paymah. Denver refused.
“It’s going to be almost impossible for the Chiefs to trade Greg now,” said Wesley’s agent, Drew Pittman. “The Chiefs gave me permission to find a trade for Greg, and I’ve talked to all of the other teams. There’s no interest. Part of the reason is that the Chiefs had a trade worked out last year and backed out of it.”
To reach Adam Teicher, Chiefs reporter for The Star, call 816-234-4875 or send e-mail to ateicher@kcstar.com

03-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Chiefs fans would like to see him go too.

Valiant
03-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Well Wesley why don't you renegotiate your contract and get rid of some of the money we owe you so we can release you??? Oh thats right, you want the Chiefs money for the next two years that is guaranteed and you want to sign a new contract...

kcxiv
03-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Well Wesley why don't you renegotiate your contract and get rid of some of the money we owe you so we can release you??? Oh thats right, you want the Chiefs money for the next two years that is guaranteed and you want to sign a new contract...
He said just to release him. He will have to let that money go. He just wants out. I dont hate him as much as the rest of the Chiefs fans do. I thought he did pretty ok considering we have been ****ing horrible on defense for almost 10 years now.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-06-2008, 01:27 AM
"There is no deal. Part of which was because the Chiefs backed out of the last one."

LMAO Bullshit. That's retarded to even say out loud. If there are no deals, it's because Wesley has no skills. Slogan that shit.

Valiant
03-06-2008, 01:27 AM
He said just to release him. He will have to let that money go. He just wants out. I dont hate him as much as the rest of the Chiefs fans do. I thought he did pretty ok considering we have been ****ing horrible on defense for almost 10 years now.

I am pretty sure if we release him the money is paid to him all at once in salary..

unless he restructures to make it not so..

I could be wrong...

Mecca
03-06-2008, 01:49 AM
I am pretty sure if we release him the money is paid to him all at once in salary..

unless he restructures to make it not so..

I could be wrong...

His base salary next year is 4.7 mill Wesley loses more by wanting to be released in all honesty...the Chiefs would actually save money cutting him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-06-2008, 01:55 AM
The guy has a point. We should just try and offload him for a late rounder, or just cut the sumbitch.

blueballs
03-06-2008, 02:17 AM
Have him sign a spithood before he leaves

ClevelandBronco
03-06-2008, 02:56 AM
..."I could find a pretty good deal out there right now, but if they hold me much longer, I’m going to get a (lesser) contract."

I wonder what word he used instead of "lesser." It used to be taboo in the news business to alter a direct quote.

Times change.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-06-2008, 03:00 AM
I wonder what word he used instead of "lesser." It used to be taboo in the news business to alter a direct quote.

Times change.

My guess is bullshit. A bullshit contract. What do I win?

kcchiefsus
03-06-2008, 03:29 AM
His base salary next year is 4.7 mill Wesley loses more by wanting to be released in all honesty...the Chiefs would actually save money cutting him.

How would his base salary be more than the $3.2 million base salary + bonuses which this article reported? That doesn't make sense at all.

The NFLPA website says his base salary is only $2.7 million.

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=28836

Direckshun
03-06-2008, 03:57 AM
THE CHIEFS TURNED DOWN A 4th!?!

FOR WESLEY!?!?!

ClevelandBronco
03-06-2008, 04:14 AM
My guess is bullshit. A bullshit contract. What do I win?

The empty promise of a bullshit contract. Party at Flopnuts' place.

OnTheWarpath15
03-06-2008, 05:24 AM

FOR WESLEY!?!?!

No kidding.

I'd sure love to have that 4th right now, instead of a whining, tackle-whiffing safety.

CupidStunt
03-06-2008, 05:29 AM
How embarrassing. We declined a FOURTH-round pick to see Wesley whiffing on tackles as a Bronco.

Just awful. This franchise is beyond pathetic.

Bullshit. That's retarded to even say out loud. If there are no deals, it's because Wesley has no skills.

What are you talking about? It's well-documented that the Broncos did put an offer on the table last year, and a decent one at that, and the pussy Chiefs backed out because they "didn't want to trade him to a division rival." Yeah, big f**king deal that would've made in our chase for the 2008 AFC West crown. :LOL:

The Bad Guy
03-06-2008, 06:18 AM
He ****ing sucks.

Denver paying us a 4th and taking him is like a huge win-win for the Chiefs.

Figures King Carl pulled out.

PhillyChiefFan
03-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

the Talking Can
03-06-2008, 06:42 AM
glad we turned down a 4th.....and now we'll get nothing

smart Carl....real ****ing smart....you asshole

the Talking Can
03-06-2008, 06:45 AM
why on earth would a "rebuilding" team turn down a 4th for a veteran they PUT ON THE BENCH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

the Talking Can
03-06-2008, 06:49 AM
WE TURNED DOWN A 4TH???

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Can we trade the Talking Can to Orangemane for a 4th?

the Talking Can
03-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Can we trade the Talking Can to Orangemane for a 4th?

you damn well better if someone is dumb enough to offer....

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2008, 07:22 AM

FOR WESLEY!?!?!Christ.

Iowanian
03-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Wesley kind of has a point.

He's been a decent player, a decent citizen and didn't throw a fit last year, in a situation where many, many vets would have.

If they can't trade him, they should give him the courtesy of cutting him now.

King_Chief_Fan
03-06-2008, 07:58 AM

He's been a decent player, a decent citizen and didn't throw a fit last year, in a situation where many, many vets would have.

while that may be the decent thing to do, the Chiefs are paying him. Until they decide they are done with him, he is a Chief. If Wesley doesn't like that, he can quit and go out there and see what he can find. Chiefs owe him nothing. He has been paid quite well for whiffing and missing tackles. Wesley owns this one.

HypnotizedMonkey
03-06-2008, 07:58 AM
They should make a sitcom about the Chiefs front office. This sh!t doesn't get much more hilarious.

penguinz
03-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Have him sign a spithood before he leaves
That was Siavii. ;)

Chiefnj2
03-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Wesley has spent his entire career on a team that has had no real DTs and a weak MLB situation. We've seen this DL turn a pro bowl corner in Surtain into an average player. If Wesley had the benefit of a front 7 for his tenure in KC I'm sure people would have a different opinion of him. He's not the best safety, but he has been the teams hardest hitter and he's been a team player that hasn't caused a stir even though it looks like he would have been justified in doing so last year. He was also the teams best safety last year whether people want to admit it or not.

I have no problem with him throwing shit at the fan this offseason in hopes of garnering a trade, especially if the team had a 4th round pick for him and balked. I don't think the free agent field will be as kind to him as he thinks, but who knows, lots of money was thrown out to average players this offseason.

StcChief
03-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Wesley has spent his entire career on a team that has had no real DTs and a weak MLB situation. We've seen this DL turn a pro bowl corner in Surtain into an average player. If Wesley had the benefit of a front 7 for his tenure in KC I'm sure people would have a different opinion of him. He's not the best safety, but he has been the teams hardest hitter and he's been a team player that hasn't caused a stir even though it looks like he would have been justified in doing so last year. He was also the teams best safety last year whether people want to admit it or not.

I have no problem with him throwing shit at the fan this offseason in hopes of garnering a trade, especially if the team had a 4th round pick for him and balked. I don't think the free agent field will be as kind to him as he thinks, but who knows, lots of money was thrown out to average players this offseason.

yeah everybody looks better with better players around them..... Wesley signed the contract live with it until Chiefs get a deal. Turning down a 4th from Dungver because in the division? They figure someone else would offer similar..... but the haven't yet.
He may get packaged around draft day who knows.

GoTrav
03-06-2008, 08:44 AM
They should make a sitcom about the Chiefs front office. This sh!t doesn't get much more hilarious.

didn't that air on HBO last year? TICK TICK BOOM!

penchief
03-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Considering the big money that is being thrown around in FA for a couple of mediocre safeties, any team that needs a safety badly might find Wesley's contract and skill level desirable. I think he probably has fifth-round trade value.

In a way, it sounds like another Trent Green situation; where the chiefs are trying to get fair compensation in a trade while the player's agent is undermining the process. I think it makes sense to hold on to him a little longer because somebody is going to need a decent safety and will like his contract numbers enough to fork over a fifth or sixth rounder, IMO.

stonedstooge
03-06-2008, 08:57 AM
I thought he handled himself well last year when he could have thrown a fit about being benched and he didn't. And I don't think he was a cancer in the lockerroom like many who don't get their way. Sounds like a typical King Carl powerplay. By God, I'm going to show you who the boss is. If you were in his shoes, knew you weren't part of "the plan" and knew that they were going to cut you anyway, wouldn't you be asking for it to get done? These guys are just like you or me. They just happen to be in a different line of work. I think he has handled himself in a very professional manner and isn't it amazing, most of the player complaints come about one frigging individual on the team? I wish the King would take his bullshit somewhere else. He has done more to this team in damage then he has to help it. His powerthrusting is getting just more than just a little old.

Eleazar
03-06-2008, 09:01 AM
we...turned down a fourth.... for greg wesley....

i'm going up on a water tower now to start picking people off.

StcChief
03-06-2008, 09:12 AM
we...turned down a fourth.... for greg wesley....

i'm going up on a water tower now to start picking people off.it was Dungver and we do play them twice a year.

El Jefe
03-06-2008, 09:23 AM
How embarrassing. We declined a FOURTH-round pick to see Wesley whiffing on tackles as a Bronco.

What are you talking about? It's well-documented that the Broncos did put an offer on the table last year, and a decent one at that, and the pussy Chiefs backed out because they "didn't want to trade him to a division rival." Yeah, big f**king deal that would've made in our chase for the 2008 AFC West crown. :LOL:

QFT

Easy 6
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM

I agree with all of this.

But -Note to Greg Wesley- your NOT an NFL starter.

Chief Faithful
03-06-2008, 09:39 AM
These guys are just like you or me. They just happen to be in a different line of work. I think he has handled himself in a very professional manner and isn't it amazing, most of the player complaints come about one frigging individual on the team?

A different line of work making $3M+ a year. Sorry, I have no sympathy.

kcchiefsus
03-06-2008, 09:40 AM
it was Dungver and we do play them twice a year.

So we could have seen Wesley bite on the play action against us two days a year. Big freaking deal. A 4th round pick is a 4th round pick.

:cuss:

BigChiefFan
03-06-2008, 09:41 AM
How depressing. Our FO are a bunch of idiots.

the Talking Can
03-06-2008, 09:44 AM

so what?

a) we benched him
b) we are supposedly rebuilding and hording draft picks
c) it's a 4th
d) we're rebuilding
c) it's a 4th

Deberg_1990
03-06-2008, 09:46 AM
so what?

a) we benched him
b) we are supposedly rebuilding and hording draft picks
c) it's a 4th
d) we're rebuilding
c) it's a 4th

Agreed. Carl acted as if he was giving away Trent Green in his prime.

Its Greg Wesley.

Sure-Oz
03-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Great, we lost a 4th just cause he'd be on teh donks?? now we can't even give him away...

Nice job carl, man i can't wait till his dumbass leaves or croaks

Eleazar
03-06-2008, 10:46 AM

I'm not sure if you've seen Wesley the past couple of years, but playing a team with him in the defensive backfield is an ADVANTAGE. Denver would he helping us.

Delano
03-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure if you've seen Wesley the past couple of years, but playing a team with him in the defensive backfield is an ADVANTAGE. Denver would he helping us.

In hindsight, the refusal to trade Wesley for a fourth round draft pick is stupid, but I can see the logic behind the desire for a player-for-player trade over a player-for-draft pick trade within your division.

Wesley may divulge information and you would want to counteract that with information from the rival's player. You can't get insider information on the Bronco's from a draft pick, but Paymah would know some things.

Sure-Oz
03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Who cares about insider info, he will say the obvious, run run pass punt and on defense throw to the old cb's

Mr. Laz
03-06-2008, 11:00 AM

once again ...... Carl shows what a complete possy he is

He was so unsure of his ability to evaluate talent the he doesn't want to trade within the division because he's afraid that he'll get embarrassed.

just like he is praying that Matt Ryan is gone when we pick at #5 because he's too chicken to make the decision.

just like he so happy that he prolly went and jacked off in a closet, at soon at Cleveland traded up and took Brady Quinn last year, so he didn't have to make the decision.

He's pathetic ........ and even he knows it.

Rausch
03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Wesley may divulge information and you would want to counteract that with information from the rival's player. You can't get insider information on the Bronco's from a draft pick, but Paymah would know some things.

Yeah, because Denver's defense couldn't shut us down without his info. Jeebus, they ****ing erased us at home. Anything he'd have to say is meaningless at that point.

Sure-Oz
03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, because Denver's defense couldn't shut us down without his info. Jeebus, they ****ing erased us at home. Anything he'd have to say is meaningless at that point.

exactly, we suck balls theres nothing new to report

melbar
03-06-2008, 11:11 AM
We have no depth at any position but safety. He's at least decent to step in when needed. Actually pretty good when he wants to hit. This would just be another position to fill. Should have dropped him and moved Law to safety...

Delano
03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
We have no depth at any position but safety. He's at least decent to step in when needed. Actually pretty good when he wants to hit. This would just be another position to fill. Should have dropped him and moved Law to safety...

I agree with the idea of depth, but Wesley doesn't fit the youth movement.

I'd rather have Wesley back there over a guy like McGraw.

gblowfish
03-06-2008, 11:17 AM
1. When Wesley was in KC land,
Let My Wesley go!
Oppressed so hard he could not stand,
Let My Wesley go!

Go down, Wesley,
Way down in KC's land;
Tell old King Carl
To let My Wesley go!

2. No more at Strong Safety toil,
Let My Wesley go!
Let Him Get Free Agent spoil,
Let My Wesley go!
3. Oh, let us all from King Carl flee,
Let My Wesley go!
Let Him Be an Agent free,
Let My Wesley go!
4. You need not always weep and mourn,
Let My Wesley go!
He Wants a Deal, just like Joe Horn,
Let My Wesley go!
5. Your foe shall soon before you stand,
Let My Wesley go!
As Wesley plays for Shanahan,
Let My Wesley....... go!

Micjones
03-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I have to agree with Wesley.
The Chiefs should just let him go.
They won't be able to trade him. That ship sailed when they backed out of the deal with Denver last year (how valuable would that 4th be now?).

Cut him and give him a chance to find a good situation on another team.
He's not going to play here past 2008 anyway unless he restructures his deal.

blueballs
03-06-2008, 11:28 AM
That was Siavii. ;)

Greg was his drunken partner in that Hotel lobby
now the poor man can't even get a courtesy flush

DeezNutz
03-06-2008, 11:33 AM

Exactly why we should have completed the deal.

CHIEF4EVER
03-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Wesley wants Chiefs to let him go

What a coincidence.......I want the same thing.

suds79
03-06-2008, 12:34 PM
What a coincidence.......I want the same thing.

:LOL:

We all want something Mr. Wesley... I and 97% of the rest of the Chiefs fanbase wants the Chiefs to let Carl Peterson go.

If only we could all get what we want. :drool:

patteeu
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Times change.

I thought it was common practice, particularly in the world of sports journalism, to clean up quotes to make the speaker sound like he had something beyond a 6th grade education. Things like leaving out all the "know wha'm sayin'" interjections from a Samie Parker interview, for example.

DeezNutz
03-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I thought it was common practice, particularly in the world of sports journalism, to clean up quotes to make the speaker sound like he had something beyond a 6th grade education. Things like leaving out all the "know wha'm sayin'" interjections from a Samie Parker interview, for example.

I know what you're sayin, you know what I'm sayin.

beach tribe
03-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Damn. I wish we could face his ass twice a year in that rediculous Donkey uni.

He could whiff Larry, bite on play action, and then maybe Croyle could run his ass over like D. Anderson did.

I'm interested in seeing who Denver picks with with their 4th rounder this yr.

I'd prolly trade Wesley for him.

pikesome
03-06-2008, 04:42 PM

Except I don't think there's any "journalism" in sports. I'm not sure how much there was in the past but it's gone today.