PDA

View Full Version : Wesley wants Chiefs to let him go

Coach
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Haven't seen this posted.

Wesley wants Chiefs to let him go
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Greg Wesley’s resolve to keep silent started to weaken recently when the Chiefs released several other veterans, but not him.

That resolve disappeared altogether as Wesley saw other safeties like Madieu Williams and Gibril Wilson receive massive paydays on the free-agent market.

So Wesley took public his desire to be traded or released, something he long ago asked the Chiefs.

“I’ve talked with everybody: Carl (Peterson), Gunther (Cunningham), Herm (Edwards),” said Wesley, who will turn 30 this month. “I’ve just told them we all know I’m not in their plans, so why are they holding me? They’ve had more than a year to trade me. They could have traded me last year. They chose not to. I was good about it, didn’t cause distractions or problems during the season. I was really good about it, considering the way they handled it.

“Now that’s over. It’s a business, and I understand that maybe they were doing what they needed to do. But just let me go now. They’re holding me here, and teams need safeties. Let me find another team. Are they going to hold me until there are no more jobs? I could find a pretty good deal out there right now, but if they hold me much longer, I’m going to get a (lesser) contract.”

That’s the reason for Wesley’s urgency. The free-agent market has already started to dry up as teams fill their needs.

“They told me they were going to let me go right when the season was over,” Wesley said. “But I’m still here, and look what’s happening now. Guys are signing with other teams and taking jobs away from me.

“This is my livelihood. My career took a little bit of a hit last year. I’ve been a starter, and then last year they gave a guy my position. There was no competition. They just gave it to him. So it’s obvious they don’t want me. So why not let me go on my way? Let me get my career back on track. Let me go play. I’m not a backup.”

The Chiefs declined to respond to questions about Wesley other than to say they would try to exhaust all possibilities to trade him.

“They tell me I’m too valuable to just let me go,” Wesley said. “Huh? If I’m so valuable, I would have been starting last year. I know I’m not going to be here next year, and they know it. So just let me go on my way.

“A lot of teams are releasing guys they could hold. But they just release them out of respect for them. I’ve been here eight years and worked hard. I understand it’s a business, but I think I’ve earned it because I’ve done a lot for the Chiefs. Look at what Atlanta did for Warrick Dunn. They just let him go.”

The contract Wesley signed with the Chiefs in 2004 runs two more seasons. He is due $3.2 million in salary and bonuses this year and $3.7 million in 2009.

Wesley’s unhappiness with the Chiefs began in earnest last year. His starting-safety spot of seven seasons was, he said, given away without competition when the Chiefs made regulars of Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard.

He asked out last year, and the Chiefs almost had a deal in place with Denver for a fourth-round draft pick. The Chiefs, not wanting to send him to an AFC West rival, backed out right before the trade was made.

They later could have sent him to Houston for a seventh-round choice, but that deal was scrapped when Wesley wouldn’t agree to take a pay cut.

“We don’t play the game for free,” Wesley said.

The Chiefs recently tried to rekindle trade talks by offering Wesley to the Broncos for cornerback Karl Paymah. Denver refused.

“It’s going to be almost impossible for the Chiefs to trade Greg now,” said Wesley’s agent, Drew Pittman. “The Chiefs gave me permission to find a trade for Greg, and I’ve talked to all of the other teams. There’s no interest. Part of the reason is that the Chiefs had a trade worked out last year and backed out of it.”

Delano
03-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Haven't seen this posted.

I have.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181234

Coach
03-06-2008, 04:36 PM
I have.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181234

My apologies then.

El Jefe
03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Yea it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't on the front page, but all in all who really cares?

CoMoChief
03-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Everyone's taking jobs away from him?

That's funny I haven't heard of one decent safety FA acquisition since FA began.

Valiant
03-06-2008, 05:21 PM
My apologies then.

Thats funny, you even used the exact same thread title..

unothadeal
03-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I think this was posted last year, too.

Rain Man
03-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Repost etiquette aside, I thought Wesley was our best safety last year, even though I've roundly cursed him in years past. Is he not going to get a fair shot to start?

ChiefHusker
03-06-2008, 09:06 PM
He is one of the most inconsistent players on the Chiefs defense. Always goes for the Big hit instead of the sure tackle, gets burned on deep routes when it's his responsibility to cover areas creating a double team, and bites on play action like a rookie. I think that Herm and Gunn had the thought "If he is going to play like this as a veteran why don't we play the younger talent and have them learn and develop". Maybe I am giving to much credit to the coaching staff. However I have never been impressed with Wesley's play. He does nothing that any other saftey in the league can do, and at this point he is not going to change. Trade him for a pick. Any pick, just get someone in that wants to impress and play at a higher, smarter level.

beach tribe
03-06-2008, 09:16 PM
He is one of the most inconsistent players on the Chiefs defense. Always goes for the Big hit instead of the sure tackle, gets burned on deep routes when it's his responsibility to cover areas creating a double team, and bites on play action like a rookie. I think that Herm and Gunn had the thought "If he is going to play like this as a veteran why don't we play the younger talent and have them learn and develop". Maybe I am giving to much credit to the coaching staff. However I have never been impressed with Wesley's play. He does nothing that any other saftey in the league can do, and at this point he is not going to change. Trade him for a pick. Any pick, just get someone in that wants to impress and play at a higher, smarter level.

Should have been the 4TH RND FUKIN PICK!

ChiefHusker
03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Agreed even if it was to the Donkeys. The Chiefs know his weaknesses and they could have exploited them, like every other team in the league did when they played against him.

Buehler445
03-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Agreed even if it was to the Donkeys. The Chiefs know his weaknesses and they could have exploited them, like every other team in the league did when they played against him.

Correct.

Chiefaholic
03-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Trade him for literally any offer on the table and use that pick on somebody with potential to get better. We have the cap space to absorb any hit left from his bonus. He's 30, has no upside, and doesn't want to be here.

teedubya
03-06-2008, 10:43 PM
trade for a a couple condoms and bottle of rum.

Munson
03-06-2008, 10:49 PM
They need to get rid of his ass. He's a huge liability in coverage. Take whatever you can get for him.