PDA

View Full Version : After the dust settles ... Jared Allen

CupidStunt
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
As I see it, the Chiefs have two options: (1) Suck it up and give Allen the $85 million-plus deal that the market has set for him, or (2) trade him and get whatever they can BEFORE May, which should be something decent.

A third and final potential option would be to go into the season with Allen under contract for just one year. However, I can't possibly fathom how an organization, no matter how stupid (even Carl Peterson stupid), could do this, given that we know -- and I, for one, believe him -- Allen will never sign a long-term deal with KC if this happens and then he'd walk away for nothing.

The question is two-fold: (1) Balls on the table - what do you think WILL happen, and (2) all things considered, what do you HOPE happens?

Valiant
03-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Think: We trade him for a 1st and 3rd this year, and 2nd next year.. Because Carl is too incompetent to get 2 1sts out of someone.. OR more to Carl's Style.. We get a 1st and 4th this year and switch some lower positions around in this draft and call it good(basically we get ****ed).. Anything less then 2 1sts for Allen is screwing the Chiefs over..

I would hope that JA signs a long-term contract that has a stipulation in it that if he gets suspended again that he has to pay back some money.. But it will never happen, I dont mind making him the richest DE if he did this..

T-post Tom
03-06-2008, 04:56 PM
As I see it, the Chiefs have two options: (1) Suck it up and give Allen the $85 million-plus deal that the market has set for him, or (2) trade him and get whatever they can BEFORE May, which should be something decent.

A third and final potential option would be to go into the season with Allen under contract for just one year. However, I can't possibly fathom how an organization, no matter how stupid (even Carl Peterson stupid), could do this, given that we know -- and I, for one, believe him -- Allen will never sign a long-term deal with KC if this happens and then he'd walk away for nothing.

The question is two-fold: (1) Balls on the table - what do you think WILL happen, and (2) all things considered, what do you HOPE happens?

Same answer for both questions: Allen gets signed to long term deal. That said, the Chiefs could also choose to tag him next year as well.

Zouk
03-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Couldn't we franchise him again next offseason and trade him then?

chagrin
03-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I hope I never have to read another thread saying the same two or three things that the CHIEFS have to do with him, seriously

OnTheWarpath15
03-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Couldn't we franchise him again next offseason and trade him then?

We'd lose a lot of leverage, considering he's made it public knowledge that he won't sign a long term deal if he plays under the tag.

That's not a game of chicken I'd like to play.

If you wanna trade him, trade him NOW.

CupidStunt
03-06-2008, 05:08 PM
His value won't get much higher. "Weak" draft, career year, younger, etc.

gta0012
03-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Guys...why would we sign him in a year where we have a top 5 draft pick?

We tag him pay him shit money.

If he has a great year we reward him with a large contract next year when we have more cap room from all of our cuts this year.

It just makes sense to not award him a big contract if we can still keep him around this year.

OnTheWarpath15
03-06-2008, 05:41 PM

If he has a great year we reward him with a large contract next year when we have more cap room from all of our cuts this year.

It just makes sense to not award him a big contract if we can still keep him around this year.

See post 6.

beach tribe
03-06-2008, 05:42 PM
He rapes Carl. Then he rapes QBs for the next 6-7 years.

Bump
03-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I would much rather sign JA to a long term deal and make him a Chief for life.

Halfcan
03-06-2008, 05:55 PM
JA is a young man at Risk-cut his ass-lol

philfree
03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Just keep tagging his ass year after year if he won't sign a long term deal. No way he sits out when he can make $9mil a year. He'll eventually sign.

PhilFree:arrow:

SBK
03-06-2008, 06:41 PM
He'll play under the tag this year, and have a huge year with Ellis or Dorsey next to him. If he stays out of trouble he signs an even bigger deal next year than he would have got this year.....

kcchiefsus
03-06-2008, 06:44 PM

He said he will never sign a long term contract if he has to play under the franchise tender. :rolleyes:

Micjones
03-06-2008, 06:44 PM
If we don't get him signed before the start of this season we will never get him signed to a long-term deal here in Kansas City.

If we can trade him I would do that before the draft.
But they won't.

So suck it up and sign him.

kcchiefsus
03-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Just keep tagging his ass year after year if he won't sign a long term deal. No way he sits out when he can make $9mil a year. He'll eventually sign.

PhilFree:arrow:

You do realize that each year you tag a player the franchise tag goes up for that player by something like 20%? That would make it very cost prohibitive to keep tagging him.

gta0012
03-06-2008, 06:46 PM
He said he will never sign a long term contract if he has to play under the franchise tender. :rolleyes:

If you were about to be franchised tagged and payed less than your worth would you say that too?

It's business and he is trying to get the most money for himself. He will piss and moan and Next year he will use the "never sign a long term deal blah blah" To negotiate for more money.

Micjones
03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
You do realize that each year you tag a player the franchise tag goes up for that player by something like 20%? That would make it very cost prohibitive to keep tagging him.

And after a while it will make even less sense than just signing him to the long-term deal.

the Talking Can
03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
We'd lose a lot of leverage, considering he's made it public knowledge that he won't sign a long term deal if he plays under the tag.

That's not a game of chicken I'd like to play.

If you wanna trade him, trade him NOW.

"I am now prepared to sit out the year if the Bears don't trade me or release me," Briggs told FoxSports.com on Monday night. "I've played my last snap for them. I'll never play another down for Chicago again."

OnTheWarpath15
03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
"I am now prepared to sit out the year if the Bears don't trade me or release me," Briggs told FoxSports.com on Monday night. "I've played my last snap for them. I'll never play another down for Chicago again."

Are you willing to take that gamble?

Lance Briggs and Jared Allen are two different people.

the Talking Can
03-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Are you willing to take that gamble?

Lance Briggs and Jared Allen are two different people.

really, you know them?

Rausch
03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
He rapes Carl. Then he rapes QBs for the next 6-7 years.

WIN-WIN situation...:)

raybec 4
03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
We sign him to a huge long term deal and then he plays like he has no heart for the first 8 games and then sits out the last 8 because his vajay-jay hurts...oh, nevermind that was last year.

beach tribe
03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
We sign him to a huge long term deal and then he plays like he has no heart for the first 8 games and then sits out the last 8 because his vajay-jay hurts...oh, nevermind that was last year.

He's the drunk, not the punk.

keg in kc
03-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I think he plays under the franchise tag. I hope we trade him.

Extra Point
03-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Tag him and bag him. He'll have to have another year to prove his claim. If he does, then we pay up or see him gone.

Direckshun
03-06-2008, 11:38 PM
I have no idea what's going to happen, but I hope we lock him up for the next eight years.

KCwolf
03-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Will Shields made a great career and living off of the "Franchise" tag. And whoever said tag him and pay him SH*T is clueless....top 5 $$ for DE ain't bad. I understand both sides.....see how it goes and if J.A. is even close to duplicating last year.....sign him to a long term deal b4 the 08' season ends. Our last long term contract signee didn't look so good last year. I like J.A. - but it is a business, unfortunately it is one that our GM has no business doing.

RustShack
03-07-2008, 01:41 AM
He will retire a Chief!

Bowser
03-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Carl is going to **** this up.

el borracho
03-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Stab him in the face with antifreeze!

(and then sign him to a long term contract)