PDA

View Full Version : What is the greatest guitar solo ever?

Mojo Rising
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Guitar Player released their list of top 100 guitar solos ever. I think it ended up being a popularity contest and confused with the best rock song ever.

Stairway shouldn't have been #1. I liked the Heartbreaker solo better. In fact JPJ was the best musician in the band from what I've seen.

Until listening to the top 20 or so I didn't realize that Randy Rhoads is my favoite guitarist.
I started from #1 and worked down and Eddie VH seemed like he needed another category (Eruption, not a song) and should be compared to other guitar virtuosos. I think his solo is better than Stairway.

I rarely see Rhoads on the lists of artists who does too early (Cobain, Joplin, Hendrix...) He could have done so much more.

As I worked down the list further I noticed other patterns. Jam style solos like Lynyrd and The Eagles played a different role in the song than the guitar driven songs like Hendrix.

In the end I thought Randy Rhoads should be number 1. I would put Mr. Crowley and Flying High right up there with Crazy Train (if not ahead of.) It might have been the producer, but, to me he played just as fast and precise as Eddie. His playing fits the song much more.

I saw Eddie in December and he was incredible.

As much as I liked the Skynyrd and Eagles patient jam I wonder how they would compare to Jerry Garcia and Trey Anastacio in that realm.

Top Guitarists by category (according to Mojo):

Heavy Metal:
Rhoads
Van Halen

Jam Band:
Garcia
Anastacio

Classic Rock:
Hendrix
Clapton

The Top Solos according to Guitar Player:

Stairway To Heaven
Eruption
Freebird
Comfortably Numb
All Along The Watchtower
November Rain (shouldn't be in the top 50)
One
Hotel California
Crazy Train
Crossroads

What is your top 10? (You better not include Prince's Let's Go Crazy)

Mojo Rising
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Forgot the link to the results:

http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatest.htm

headsnap
03-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Gilmour - Comfortably Numb

THREAD OVAR!!!!!

MIAdragon
03-08-2008, 09:39 PM
All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

chagrin
03-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I also like, as some of the best ever:
Sultans Of Swing
Holy Diver
Rainbow In The Dark
Knocking At The Back Door
Beyond The Realms Of Death

all excellent solos worthy of consideration - each one of those songs aren't considered "best rock songs ever" which is why they won't make any "popular" list but the fact is, each of them have a top shelf solo in them.

Deberg_1990
03-08-2008, 09:43 PM
No Stevie Ray Vaughn??

Mojo Rising
03-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Gilmour - Comfortably Numb

THREAD OVAR!!!!!

Gilmour is very good. Top 5. Is that his best solo though? I haven't listened to the Floyd catalog to determine. I think it's in the top 5 because the song is so popular (and good.)

My favorite Floyd memory was sitting front row center in '88 at Arrowhead. Our original seats were in the lower level, 50 yard line. The girls we were with said they would go to the floor and get floor stubs so we could all go down there.

I didn't think we'd see them again. They shortly returned with stubs to get us all down to the floor. Once we got there we had to decide where to go.

We decided to go to the front. All 4 of us went to the front row center and sat the 1st set. When the 2nd set started 2 people came for my buddy and his girl's seats so they had to go back to the 2nd row (center.)

I still remember looking back at everyone behind me from the front row and how I had no idea I would be sitting there when I left home.

BTW, they played Comfortably Numb.

Snap, didn't you go to the Maiden concert with my brother when he got bitten by the guy who stole the drumstick he caught? Or, was that Russell and Nielsen?

chagrin
03-08-2008, 09:47 PM
No Stevie Ray Vaughn??

ooh, good choice - name a few; he's definitely in there

CoMoChief
03-08-2008, 09:49 PM
One - Metallica

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Knocking At The Back Door

Did you mean Knocking At Your Back Door by Deep Purple?

MIAdragon
03-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Texas Flood was IMO his best solo Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I immediately thought of VH's Eruption.

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 09:57 PM
These lists always piss me off as Billy Gibbons never gets any love,you'd think the man that Jimi Hendrix named his favorite guitar player would get a little respect.

banyon
03-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Clapton -Badge & Old Love
Blind Faith- (Clapton) - Can't Find My Way Home
U2- (The Edge)- Pride (In the Name of Love)

Deberg_1990
03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
These lists always piss me off as Billy Gibbons never gets any love,you'd think the man that Jimi Hendrix named his favorite guitar player would get a little respect.

Yea, same here. Its bound to happen that several very good guitarists get overlooked for whatever reason.

Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac gets overlooked as well. Probably because its not hard rock.

Rain Man
They list Chuck Berry with Johnny B. Goode at #12. That's like having the Mayans still holding the land speed record in North America. You gotta respect that for the era from which it erupted.

headsnap
Gilmour is very good. Top 5. Is that his best solo though? I haven't listened to the Floyd catalog to determine. I think it's in the top 5 because the song is so popular (and good.)
That solo has a lot to do with the quality and popularity of that song. Perfect notes, perfect inflection, perfect everything. I love Gilmour's style and tone and I think the solo in Comfortably Numb fits the song better than any other solo/song combo that I know of.

Snap, didn't you go to the Maiden concert with my brother when he got bitten by the guy who stole the drumstick he caught? Or, was that Russell and Nielsen?
My memory is a bit fuzzy from back them, but I recall being there with Russell, front row center stage, Twisted Sister opening up, Dee coming out and saying 'Hello Kansas City' and spits - splitting me and Russell like the red sea, during Maiden a fight breaks out behind us and security lifts a guy with a huge bite taken out of his shoulder over the railing... I don't think it was your bro... :D

MIAdragon
03-08-2008, 10:02 PM

La Grange is pretty good.

MIAdragon
03-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Im not a big Prince fan but the solo in Purple Rain is nasty.

Bugeater
03-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I immediately thought of VH's Eruption.
Same here. The rest are fighting for second place.

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 10:05 PM
La Grange is pretty good.

Agreed but not even close to what Billy does on say Brown Sugar from the first album.

Mojo Rising
03-08-2008, 10:08 PM

Gibbons swings a big guitar. Heavy rythm licks. I don't remember his solo's being memorable.

Deberg_1990
03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
How about some Joe Satriani??

Frazod
03-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Everybody always jumps all over Comfortably Numb, but I think Gilmore's solo in On The Turning Away is much better. That would be my favorite.

KcMizzou
03-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Everybody always jumps all over Comfortably Numb, but I think Gilmore's solo in On The Turning Away is much better. That would be my favorite.Ooh, great tune.

KcMizzou
03-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Im not a big Prince fan but the solo in Purple Rain is nasty.Prince is a fantastic guitarist. (in my admittedly uneducated opinion) His solo starts at about 4 minutes in... it's worth the wait.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z5zOPGMIyMQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z5zOPGMIyMQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Mojo Rising
03-08-2008, 10:17 PM
That solo has a lot to do with the quality and popularity of that song. Perfect notes, perfect inflection, perfect everything. I love Gilmour's style and tone and I think the solo in Comfortably Numb fits the song better than any other solo/song combo that I know of.

My memory is a bit fuzzy from back them, but I recall being there with Russell, front row center stage, Twisted Sister opening up, Dee coming out and saying 'Hello Kansas City' and spits - splitting me and Russell like the red sea, during Maiden a fight breaks out behind us and security lifts a guy with a huge bite taken out of his shoulder over the railing... I don't think it was your bro... :D

My favorite Floyd lick is the opening to Wish You Were Here. Numb is definatelty up there. I was surprised at how high Freebird rated for me personally. They go off ot the end of that. Allmans should be in their Southern Jam Band category.

Eagles and Skynyrd were both dual guitar solos which lead to their jam style. SRV would have to be lumped in with Hendrix with Guitar Driven. Or, a different category with guitar only (Satriani, Johnson.)

I am not anti- SRV but I do not know his music because I get bored with the guitar-centrist style.

Snap - That wasn't my bro. He was in the 3rd row and caught a drumstick that he relinqueshed as a big fat guy bit him.

Deberg_1990
03-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Prince is a fantastic guitarist. (in my admittedly uneducated opinion)

Jeff Healy did a fantasic version of that song.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJh3KaIKDAw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJh3KaIKDAw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

banyon
03-08-2008, 10:19 PM
They list Chuck Berry with Johnny B. Goode at #12. That's like having the Mayans still holding the land speed record in North America. You gotta respect that for the era from which it erupted.

It's groundbreaking, it deserves credit for that beyond just its techinical prowess, right?

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Prince is a fantastic guitarist. (in my admittedly uneducated opinion) His solo starts at about 4 minutes in... it's worth the wait.

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z5zOPGMIyMQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Dude I was just getting ready to post this same video,people can say what they want but when Prince joined Petty and Lynne on While My Guitar Gently Weeps he tore it up!!

KcMizzou
03-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Dude I was just getting ready to post this same video,people can say what they want but when Prince joined Petty and Lynne on While My Guitar Gently Weeps he tore it up!!The first time I saw that, it was a "WTF moment".

I had no idea...

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Gibbons swings a big guitar. Heavy rythm licks. I don't remember his solo's being memorable.

Personally I'd suggest listening to Just Got Back From Baby's,Brown Sugar or other early tunes.Hey I'm a ZZ fanatic,it's just my .02

siberian khatru
03-08-2008, 10:30 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yDpinukzQ9M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yDpinukzQ9M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Starts at the :55 mark.

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Call me crazy but if anyone ever gets their hands on a copy of Sammy Hagar's All Night Long live project from the late 70's check out Young Girl Blues.I let 3 friends hear it and they were like who the hell is that?

Extra Point
03-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Richie Blackmore in "Highway Star" by Deep Purple

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm adding one last guitarist that never seems to get the respect he deserves.Brian May of Queen,if you've never seen this clip from Brighton Rock,get a drink,kick back and enjoy.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-m69BrvJNfg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Braincase
03-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Not in any particular order, and I'm more into guitar instrumentals, but here's 10 I really like right now...

Eruption - Van Halen
Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson
The Crush of Love - Joe Satriani
Little Wing - Hendrix/cover by SRV
Rylynn - Andy McKee
Eleanor Rigby - Beatles Cover by Stanley Jordan
Those Who Wait - Tommy Emmanuel
Classical Gas - Mason Williams
Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway - Al DiMeola
Black Star - Yngwie Malmsteen

(There is really no way for me to get together 10 without ripping my own heart out, as I've left out any number of my favorite artists, including Dream Theater, Nightwish, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Les Paul, George Benson, Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Symphony X, Luca Turilli, and a couple score others...)

ClevelandBronco
03-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Prince is a fantastic guitarist. (in my admittedly uneducated opinion) His solo starts at about 4 minutes in... it's worth the wait...

Wow. Good post, KcMizzou.

Bugeater
03-08-2008, 10:52 PM

That's a good one there, I still have a copy of Made In Japan on vinyl. :thumb:

siberian khatru
03-08-2008, 10:55 PM

I love Blackmore. So much to choose from.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CO-cGmJIppc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CO-cGmJIppc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

QuikSsurfer
03-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Not sure about the "best" but selkies by paul waggoner is one of my favorites.
some mad sweeps at 2:30+

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JHRjkb0o9XU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JHRjkb0o9XU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I guess I should've looked a little closer at that list,thumbs up for having Brian May in 2 of the top 41 slots including Brighton Rock.

Bugeater
03-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Damn, I almost forgot, no guitar solo thread is complete without mentioning Kevin Cronin's vocal guitar solo in 157 Riverside Avenue, one of my favorite songs of all time.

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm still trying to recover from seeing Ace Frehley at #50 :eek:

philfree
03-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I always like the solo in My Sharona. There's so many solo's that my brain can hardly pull one up.

PhilFree:arrow:

Bugeater
03-08-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm still trying to recover from seeing Ace Frehley at #50 :eek:

Yeah, that's pretty bad. I like some of KISS's music, but the guitar work for the most part is average at best. There's nothing they do that jumps out to me at all.

plbrdude
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Damn, I almost forgot, no guitar solo thread is complete without mentioning Kevin Cronin's vocal guitar solo in 157 Riverside Avenue, one of my favorite songs of all time.

it's not complete w/out bringing up what gary richrath did in golden country on the you get what you play for album either. that solo flat gets it.

Bugeater
03-08-2008, 11:21 PM
it's not complete w/out bringing up what gary richrath did in golden country on the you get what you play for album either. that solo flat gets it.

Not real familiar with the live version of that one, but the solo on studio version while great, is just too short to be worthy of mention IMO.

philfree
03-08-2008, 11:21 PM

That album got wore out three times in 70's at my house. LOL I put the CD in the player in my P-up a couple of weeks ago and it stayed there for the better part of two weeks. It's like a sore peter to me....hard to beat!

PhilFree:arrow:

Nzoner
03-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Holy shit I can't believe what I just found on YouTube,Billy Gibbons' Moving Sidewalks(pre ZZ Top) with 99th Floor.I've had the song downloaded for some time but this is cool.They've even got the pic in there when Billy and the band toured with Jimi Hendrix.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hwtt3s0Prf4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Mojo Rising
03-09-2008, 12:00 AM
I am glad that no one agrees that Stairway should be #1.

The Best is a matter of taste.

Personally, when I grew up I was into Zeppelin, Crue, Ozzy, Priest, Maiden etc. when growing up. Then I transitioned into Marley, The Dead, Phish.

I have an appreciation for both the jam band (Skynyrd and the hard rock Van Halen.)

The question is which is the best solo.

For me it is Rhoads and then EVH. Their guitar was the song. Bringing up the rest of the top 5 are songs that the guitar made the song, but didnt drive it.

Flying High/Mr Crowley
Eruption
Freebird
Comfortably Numb
Deal (The Dead)

Pitt Gorilla
03-09-2008, 12:27 AM
I don't know about best, but I like Hammet's Unforgiven solo. Yeah, I know, Metallica sucks and whatever.

I also noticed that nobody mentioned Morello's Bulls on Parade work, which I always thought was pretty innovative. Some of Zakk Wylde's stuff is cool, although his pinch harmonics get a little old after a while (every song, Zakk?).

My personal favorite is probably McCready's work on Yellow Ledbetter, which I found as a B side on an Alive CD Single, IIRC.

Currently, I've been enjoying Zoltan Bathory's work with Five Finger Death Punch. While not Prince, Gibbons, or Clapton, his stuff is full of emotion and fits their music well. He's not nearly as technical, but I enjoy it.

xbarretx
03-09-2008, 12:44 AM
id say comfortably numb but its been said many times already ;)

(not really in this order)
Buckethead - nottingham lace
anything from Tom Morello - killing in the name of
meanstreets (or cathedral) - EVH
cliffs of dover - Eric Johnson
Big Sur Moon - Buckethead
star spangled banner - Hendrix woodstock
YYZ - Rush
sultans of swing - dire straights
crazytrain - randy rhodes
Les Claypool - The Awakening (yes i know its bass but Les is a GOD)

ClevelandBronco
03-09-2008, 01:32 AM
No love for Duane Allman yet, huh?

"Bob" Dobbs
03-09-2008, 01:35 AM
IMO, if it wasn't for Chuck Berry, there'd be no such thing as VH, Jimi, Clapton, etc.

ClevelandBronco
03-09-2008, 01:57 AM
IMO, if it wasn't for Chuck Berry, there'd be no such thing as VH, Jimi, Clapton, etc.

While I agree with that idea, I'd have to say that in the absence of a Chuck Berry we would have headed off into some other brand of musical genius that we would still be taking about.

Maybe it would have been a different set of guys who would have developed whatever would have evolved, but we'd still be enthralled with it.

Some men have a genius for their times and some of those inventor geniuses enter the field of music. Had it gone another way we might be discussing the 100 greatest oboe solos ever. And we'd still be talking about the performers who inspire us and stop us dead in our tracks.

Music in its widest sense is a participatory activity. Music produced by a master of any instrument almost forces us to shut up and just listen.

That's an important lesson to learn in almost any discipline. Sometimes there's a time to just shut up and listen.

(It's kept me married for more than 20 years.)

"Bob" Dobbs
03-09-2008, 02:02 AM
While I agree with that idea, I'd have to say that in the absence of a Chuck Berry we would have headed off into some other brand of musical genius that we would still be taking about.

Maybe it would have been a different set of guys who would have developed whatever would have evolved, but we'd still be enthralled with it.

Some men have a genius for their times and some of those inventor geniuses enter the field of music. Had it gone another way we might be discussing the 100 greatest oboe solos ever. And we'd still be talking about the performers who inspire us and stop us dead in our tracks.

Music in its widest sense is a participatory activity. Music produced by a master of any instrument almost forces us to shut up and just listen.

That's an important lesson to learn in almost any discipline. Sometimes there's a time to just shut up and listen.

(It's kept me married for more than 20 years.)I can't disagree with that. I was just saying that Chuck, probably more than ANYONE else, led the world down the "Guitar trail". And for that, he deserves WAY more props than he gets.

Mojo Rising
03-09-2008, 02:28 AM
No love for Duane Allman yet, huh?

#14 with Layla is as high as he can get (on Claptons coat-tails.)

The Allmans would have to be in the category vs. Skynyrd and Freebird. Then they would be lumped into the jam band genre. The Dead and Phish would win many of those competitions.

Has anyone listened to Derek Trucks?

DaneMcCloud
03-09-2008, 02:37 AM
#14 with Layla is as high as he can get (on Claptons coat-tails.)

The Allmans would have to be in the category vs. Skynyrd and Freebird. Then they would be lumped into the jam band genre. The Dead and Phish would win many of those competitions.

EVERY Southern rock band owes their sound and allegiance to the Allmans.

Period.

Not ONE of those bands would even exist if it weren't for Berry Oakley, Butch Trucks, Jamoe, Duane Allman, Dickey Betts or Gregg Allman.

Not one.

That is a undeniable fact.

ClevelandBronco
03-09-2008, 02:44 AM
I can't disagree with that. I was just saying that Chuck, probably more than ANYONE else, led the world down the "Guitar trail". And for that, he deserves WAY more props than he gets.

We agree. The Chuck Berry influence on what the Beatles, the Beach Boys and so many others did led to an overwhelming acceptance for the guitar as the lead instrument. (Of course that's a gross oversimplification of the transition of music into guitar solos, but no one really wants to read my dissertation.)

Bottom line for me: I thank God for the people who are given musical inspiration and let us in on it. We all have ears to hear those who have been given the hands and minds to play.

"Bob" Dobbs
03-09-2008, 02:51 AM
I just thank God the key-tar never really caught on.

Rausch
03-09-2008, 02:52 AM
id say comfortably numb but its been said many times already ;)

One more time won't hurt.

He did some really amazing stuff on Dark Side as well...

"Bob" Dobbs
03-09-2008, 02:54 AM
I always loved the stuff Gilmour did on Animals more than just about on any other album.

Miles
03-09-2008, 03:06 AM
I always loved the stuff Gilmour did on Animals more than just about on any other album.

Yep some great work on a an also great album.

Miles
03-09-2008, 03:10 AM

Couldn't agree more.

Here is a pretty damn good recent version of it from Gilmour's latest DVD with Bowie singing the Waters parts.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FM0Pl80Zf00"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FM0Pl80Zf00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ClevelandBronco
03-09-2008, 03:12 AM
I just thank God the key-tar never really caught on.

I just found a ghost in the machine. I can edit other people's posts.

I'm sorry. I found it by accident, SEKChiefsFan. I won't reword your post.

I don't know what to do with this new awesome power.

It could be fun.

Where's the last thing Goatse posted?

"Bob" Dobbs
03-09-2008, 03:20 AM
That could make the whole FYP thing a LOT of fun. ROTFL

Mojo Rising
03-09-2008, 03:41 AM
EVERY Southern rock band owes their sound and allegiance to the Allmans.

Period.

Not ONE of those bands would even exist if it weren't for Berry Oakley, Butch Trucks, Jamoe, Duane Allman, Dickey Betts or Gregg Allman.

Not one.

That is a undeniable fact.

I said Allmans would be with the Jam bands. Many of the former Allmans play in jam bands now (I have seen Warren Haynes localy with Phil Lesh, Trey and Bob Weir) They are Southern Rock but they are also a jam band. Phish and The Dead (the other bands I mentioned) are far from Southern Rock.

And by the way, they would have both done OK without the Allmans.

Baby Lee
03-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Not in the canon of giants, but has anyone caught the guitarist playing on Crossroads with Plant and Krauss [based on Raising Sand]? That shit had some bite.

Kerberos
03-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I love Blackmore. So much to choose from.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CO-cGmJIppc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CO-cGmJIppc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hey Sib

If I am not mistaken isn't your avatar from a Tod Rundgren album cover?

Sully
03-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Who am I gonna piss off for saying "Cult of Personality?"

InChiefsHeaven
03-09-2008, 08:45 AM
I liked the solo on Play with me by Extreme. I mean...dang...Nuno could play. Also, Flight of the wounded Bumblebee...sheot. One of the greatest metal guitar players ever. Look it up on You Tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSG2sMnvy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS9q4vrN_04

siberian khatru
03-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey Sib

If I am not mistaken isn't your avatar from a Tod Rundgren album cover?

No, but I've used that one you're referring to (A Wizard, A True Star) in the past.

This one is King Crimson.

T-post Tom
03-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Solo? Eh...

Too many good things from John McLaughlin,Al Di Meola, Paco DeLucia, Alan Holdsworth, EVH, R.Rhodes, SRV, Santana, Django Reinhardt

MIAdragon
03-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Its not old school but I think its good, Smells Like Teen Spirit - Cobain

Nzoner
03-09-2008, 09:31 AM

I've got one album and saw him in concert last Summer,very good player.As I recall one of his relatives was a founding member of the Allman Brothers band.

How about Jimmy Thackery,ever checked him out?

alanm
03-09-2008, 09:36 AM
No Stevie Ray Vaughn??
That invalidates the whole list. It's the equivalent of leaving Hendrix or Clapton off of best guitarists lists.
Next thread.

alanm
03-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm adding one last guitarist that never seems to get the respect he deserves.Brian May of Queen,if you've never seen this clip from Brighton Rock,get a drink,kick back and enjoy.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-m69BrvJNfg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
Brian May is ALWAYS overlooked when ever any of these lists come out. :cuss:

ROYC75
03-09-2008, 10:13 AM
This one is one of my favorite......BTO, Let it Roll Down the Highway . I don't rcall who the lead giutarist was on this song, it starts at the 1:40 mark and goes till the 2:30, not long by any means but it continues in the background another 14 sec. A classic 70's song that I always loved.

This one is in 1975
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjaCh5Akg6Q&NR=1

Here's another one of it .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LNH27s5ULE

stonedstooge
03-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Glad to see Neil Young made the top 100 list in post #2. I guess his perfectionism is one of the main reasons that CSNY never went beyond its short duration. My understanding he is a bitch to work with because he has to have everything perfect. Guess that's why he's considered one of the best.

ROYC75
03-09-2008, 10:31 AM
So many, I say soo many Clapton songs in the 70's ............

Canadian group BTO had several songs with solo's, one song was mostly compiled of several solo's and jams....... Free Wheeling by BTO.

xbarretx
03-09-2008, 10:37 AM
One more time won't hurt.

He did some really amazing stuff on Dark Side as well...

touche, my meaning was that we can all agree that its simply amazing! :clap: Gilmore rocks!

Nzoner
03-09-2008, 10:38 AM
So many, I say soo many Clapton songs in the 70's ............

Just my personal tastes but when it comes to Clapton there is one song for me that stands far and above the rest....

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zP6xPNVB6XY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Easy 6
03-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I always get chills when Slash rips into "Sweet Child 'O Mine"...it just builds & Builds & BUILDS...into a SOARING, SCREEEAMING conclusion.

ROYC75
03-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I always get chills when Slash rips into "Sweet Child 'O Mine"...it just builds & Builds & BUILDS...into a SOARING, SCREEEAMING conclusion.

Nice pick ........

But to really come up with one is like coming up with the best song of all time........ it's hard with so many options.

Easy 6
03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Nice pick ........

But to really come up with one is like coming up with the best song of all time........ it's hard with so many options.

Thanks & exactly, coming up with 1 is impossible & it would take me a good while to sit down & come up with my ***OFFICIAL*** list.

Nzoner
03-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks & exactly, coming up with 1 is impossible & it would take me a good while to sit down & come up with my ***OFFICIAL*** list.

When Mojo posted this topic last night I was going through my 5900 + songs on the computer and finally gave up trying to compile a list.

ROYC75
03-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Not to change the topic, but who needs their office cleaned ? ( No nudity ,maybe NSFW , and as in wives close by )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-R9S1m4dA&feature=related

beach tribe
03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
No Stevie Ray Vaughn??

Media=BS.

beach tribe
03-09-2008, 10:56 AM

I LOVE his palm muting. One of a kind.

ROYC75
03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Probally one of the most popular guitarist choice would be Jimmy Page or Jimmy Hendrix .....

Dartgod
03-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Not to change the topic, but who needs their office cleaned ? ( No nudity ,maybe NSFW , and as in wives close by )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-R9S1m4dA&feature=related

I don't have an office at home, but I do have some stuff that needs "polishing". Send 'em over!

HonestChieffan
03-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Mason Williams

Easy 6
03-09-2008, 11:44 AM
When Mojo posted this topic last night I was going through my 5900 + songs on the computer

Wow, thats a lotta music...i really need to start using my computer for that.

Another great solo, and really he kills it through the entire song...is Hendrix "Voodoo Chile"...his riffs in that song are just as mean & nasty as they could be.

alanm
03-09-2008, 12:33 PM

Another great solo, and really he kills it through the entire song...is Hendrix "Voodoo Chile"...his riffs in that song are just as mean & nasty as they could be.
I'm just slightly biased but I think Stevie Ray's version is better. :thumb:

Nzoner
03-09-2008, 12:35 PM

417 hours 56 minutes and 19 seconds to be exact.

I love most all kinds of music and my collection reflects it and it seems everyday I find something new,that's why I love threads like these.

Mojo Rising
03-09-2008, 01:08 PM
When Mojo posted this topic last night I was going through my 5900 + songs on the computer and finally gave up trying to compile a list.

I was lazy and went through their top 30. So, if I put a gun to your head. What would your top 5 be?

ROYC75
03-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Damn Joe :eek: , I only have 2600 + , only 168 hours of it ...... Just the classics and a few select others, I continue to add a few each month. Makes it nice listening while at work, no commercials.............

Dayze
03-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I like this list; obviously too difficult to 'rank' everyone - so many good guitarists.

For some reason, I love the solo from November Rain; it's 'dark' sounding and explosive (not from a speed standpoint)...good solo.

Texas Flood; The Sky is Crying; great.

Manhattan - Eric Johnson

my brain hurts - there are too many good ones.

Nzoner
03-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I was lazy and went through their top 30. So, if I put a gun to your head. What would your top 5 be?

My personal top 5 at the moment(not saying greatest because I really think it's subjective)

Mark Knopfler(Dire Straits)-Tunnel Of Love

Jimmy Thackery-Jimmy's Detroit Boogie

Eric Clapton-The Core

Gary Moore-I'll Play The Blues For You

Earl Slick-1735

JimNasium
03-09-2008, 02:08 PM
I've never been a huge fan of this type of query because there are so many factors that play a role in "greatest." Obviously those that played before the extended solo became part of the rock lexicon are at a great disadvantage. One of the guys that I think gets unfairly overlooked is Albert King. This is a guy that was worshipped by guys like Hendrix, Clapton and Vaughan. Hell, half of Clapton's work with Cream is lifted note for note from Albert. Listen to this guys work on Crosscut Saw or Oh Pretty Woman and I think you'll be surprised. He's not a revered as B.B. or Muddy because he was in general a foul tempered asshole.

Another guy that gets overlooked is Junior Kimbrough. Technically he's not a guy that's going to win points but he made blues guitar his own and I love some of the stuff he did. It's original and very spooky sounding. Among the new set I love that guy from the Black Keys (can't think of his name) and Luther Dickenson from the North Mississippi Allstars is one of the best players I've ever seen live.

Fishpicker
03-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Jimi Hendrix w/ Band of Gypsies

Machine Gun

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVvtIS2YGVI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVvtIS2YGVI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

dred
03-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Randy Rhodes - Ozzy - Mr. Crowley, Suicide Solutions and Crazy Train (all kick serious ass)
Jimmy page - Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Eddie Van Halen - Eruption
David Gilmour - Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Kirk Hammet - Metallica - One
Don Felder/Joe Walsh - Eagles - Hotel California
SRV - Texas Flood

btw. I am completely biased towards Randy Rhodes, so I took the liberty of putting him at #1 on my list. :D

htismaqe
03-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Marty Friedman's solo in "Tornado of Souls" is the perfect blend of technique, emotion, and face-ripping shredding. To me, it's the greatest single guitar solo ever.

Extra Point
03-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Jimi Hendrix w/ Band of Gypsies

Machine Gun

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVvtIS2YGVI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVvtIS2YGVI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Rep for a good "pick!"

Saleenman607
03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
For my taste in solo's, Petrucci from Dream Theater and the Satch Man are HARD to beat.
Peep it.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmq2C5kL

Saleenman607
03-09-2008, 05:44 PM
My bad, try this..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmq2C5kLoM

Saleenman607
03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Then there's PG.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC60XNiS-MQ

plbrdude
03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
maybe not the best, but worthy of a mention

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NDfcdQpmUAs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NDfcdQpmUAs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Saleenman607
03-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm a little surprised Angus Young isn't mentioned for his contributions?

penchief
03-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Mojo, you make a very good point about the "Heartbreaker" solo because I agree with you. However, I think the impact of both the "Stairway to Heaven" solo and the "Heartbreaker" solo exemplifies why I believe Page is underrated as a master guitarist. IMO, he and Hendrix are co-best.

I like Page because he never allowed the guitar lead to detract from the overall song. Hendrix's innovative guitar was justifiably the focus of his music. I think that The Experience may be the greatest three man R&R band ever assembled (either them or Cream). That said, Page's guitar work was intricately woven throughout the story in a way that enhanced the song without detracting from or dominating the overall musical collaboration.

Both "Stairway to Heaven" and "Heartbreaker" are perfect examples of that. I think "Stairway to Heaven" got the nod because it had a much bigger influence.

kregger
03-09-2008, 06:10 PM
so many...

Tommy Bolin - Post Toastie
Robin Trower- Day of the Eagle
Rick Derringer - Rock and roll hoochie koo
Rory Gallagher - Tattoo'd Lady / Shadow play
Roy Buchanan - Green Onions

Could go on all day

Dayze
03-09-2008, 06:18 PM
too many styles, eras, etc to wrap up in one 'list'. I love everthing from Jimmy Page, to Satch, to SRV, BB King, EVH, etc.

not to mention the Vinnie Moore's of the world; ...John Petrucci, Eric Johnson....

all of whom, make me want to take up another instrument! :)

htismaqe
03-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Mojo, you make a very good point about the "Heartbreaker" solo because I agree with you. However, I think the impact of both the "Stairway to Heaven" solo and the "Heartbreaker" solo exemplifies why I believe Page is underrated as a master guitarist. IMO, he and Hendrix are co-best.

I like Page because he never allowed the guitar lead to detract from the overall song. Hendrix's innovative guitar was justifiably the focus of his music. I think that The Experience may be the greatest three man R&R band ever assembled (either them or Cream). That said, Page's guitar work was intricately woven throughout the story in a way that enhanced the song without detracting from or dominating the overall musical collaboration.

Both "Stairway to Heaven" and "Heartbreaker" are perfect examples of that. I think "Stairway to Heaven" got the nod because it had a much bigger influence.

One needs only to listen to "Axis: Bold as Love" to know that there is no comparison between The Experience and Cream. Don't get me wrong, Clapton, Jack, and Ginger were a great heavy blues band, but The Experience were so much more - rock, blues, jazz, funk, psychedelia. They could do it all.

MahiMike
03-09-2008, 06:20 PM
With my 1,000th post, survey says...

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

Joe Satriani - flying in a blue dream

Mojo Rising
03-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Randy Rhodes - Ozzy - Mr. Crowley, Suicide Solutions and Crazy Train (all kick serious ass)
Jimmy page - Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Eddie Van Halen - Eruption
David Gilmour - Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Kirk Hammet - Metallica - One
Don Felder/Joe Walsh - Eagles - Hotel California
SRV - Texas Flood

btw. I am completely biased towards Randy Rhodes, so I took the liberty of putting him at #1 on my list. :D

Rhoads nails it. I just pulled up Suicide Solution. It's right up there with Crowley.

penchief
03-09-2008, 06:28 PM
One needs only to listen to "Axis: Bold as Love" to know that there is no comparison between The Experience and Cream. Don't get me wrong, Clapton, Jack, and Ginger were a great heavy blues band, but The Experience were so much more - rock, blues, jazz, funk, psychedelia. They could do it all.

I don't disagree. That's why I said what I said (just giving Cream their due).

Saleenman607
03-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Jimi's riff on Red House has to be one my favorites, but Satchs If I Could Fly is my number one.
Like someone on here said...so many greats solos and it's truly a matter of one's own taste

headsnap
03-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Rhoads nails it. I just pulled up Suicide Solution. It's right up there with Crowley.
Revelation Mother Earth is my fav...

Mojo Rising
03-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Can't go wrong with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azy4KUTeOFI

kregger
03-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Another Hendrix clone that pulled off some amazing shit live was Frank Marino w/ Mahogany Rush. Haven't thought about Frank for years until this thread.

BWillie
03-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I like that one in Bat Country by Avenged Sevenfold. I know that album kinda sucks, and not as good as their old stuff, but I still like the solo in that song.

ISUJeff
03-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Glad to see Duane Allman represented on the list a few times, but surprised by no mention of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed". Great guitar all the way through, with my favorite being: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACfGFxS4oM

also gotta mention Little Martha, one of the very few he actually wrote, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1PiHsS8LP8&feature=related

BigChiefFan
03-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Best solo in a song is Randy Rhoads in Flyin' High Again. He gets so much harmonics out his playing that you can actually hear the strings ring like a bell-I crank that mother up every time because it ****ing wails.

htismaqe
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Blackmore's solo on "Highway Star" set the stage for Rhoads, Malmsteen, and others. I think it's gotta be in the mix.

And I personally love the solo in "Stranglehold" by the Motor City Madman.

Ebolapox
03-10-2008, 09:13 AM

texas flood. the debate starts and ends there. :harumph:

Ebolapox
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
I also noticed that nobody mentioned Morello's Bulls on Parade work, which I always thought was pretty innovative. ...

I'm a rage homer... morello was on a whole different level on 'bulls on parade'... for other masterwork by morello, I enjoy his work in 'freedom', 'the ghost of tom joad', and testify. those stand out at this moment to me as his best work with rage (I'll kick myself later for leaving out a few songs that display his prowess)

Chiefnj2
03-10-2008, 09:24 AM
In addition to all the Rhandy solo's and songs like Comfortably Numb, November Rain, etc., I've always liked Still Got The Blues by Gary Moore.

rad
03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Marty Friedman's solo in "Tornado of Souls" is the perfect blend of technique, emotion, and face-ripping shredding. To me, it's the greatest single guitar solo ever.

I like how he held his pick. Like he was tring to arm wrestle it or something.

Demonpenz
03-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I heart SRV rivera Paradise

Pitt Gorilla
03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I've been listening to Rhoads (via Ozzy) all afternoon today. Incredible stuff.

ChiTown
03-10-2008, 02:19 PM
And I personally love the solo in "Stranglehold" by the Motor City Madman.

Ditto

One of my faves.

ZootedGranny
03-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I was surpised to see Eddie Hazel's performance on "Maggot Brain" all the way down @ #71.

Nzoner
03-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I've always liked Still Got The Blues by Gary Moore.

Cool,another Moore selection,however mine was I'll Play The Blues For You.

jAZ
03-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Prince is a fantastic guitarist. (in my admittedly uneducated opinion) His solo starts at about 4 minutes in... it's worth the wait.
Prince is an idiot, but he's got more talent in his stupid red hat than most musicians have ever had. His ego and his genre ruined his legacy though.

Deberg_1990
03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
His ego and his genre ruined his legacy though.

HUH???????

Halfcan
03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Analog Kid-Lifeson

the greatest guitarist of all time.

jAZ
03-10-2008, 04:35 PM
HUH???????
I think it's hard for people generally to look at Prince and take him seriously. He is immensely talented, but his music is focus on a genre (pop) who's fans could give 2 shits about talent. And as a result, those who do care don't respect him sufficiently, IMO. And who can blame them?

If you've ever seen An Evening with Kevin Smith, you'll understand what I'm saying better.

Saleenman607
03-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Don't forget Buckethead

Saleenman607
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqrFesMGtvA

CanadaKC
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
"The Trooper' by Iron Maiden....awesome guitar all the way through...great solo in it too...

Halfcan
03-10-2008, 04:56 PM
"The Trooper' by Iron Maiden....awesome guitar all the way through...great solo in it too...

Pick a Maiden song-any fuggin song-and it will have a better solo than that homo Prince formally- known as dicksucker-formally known as weird symbol-formally known as Princess.

Halfcan
03-10-2008, 04:57 PM
"The Trooper' by Iron Maiden....awesome guitar all the way through...great solo in it too... :clap::clap::clap:

Pick a Maiden song-any fuggin song-and it will have a better solo than that homo Prince formally- known as dicksucker-formally known as weird symbol-formally known as Princess.

chagrin
03-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm so ashamed - go download "Moanjam" by King's X - one of the all time greats, seriously

KcMizzou
03-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I think it's hard for people generally to look at Prince and take him seriously. He is immensely talented, but his music is focus on a genre (pop) who's fans could give 2 shits about talent. And as a result, those who do care don't respect him sufficiently, IMO. And who can blame them?

If you've ever seen An Evening with Kevin Smith, you'll understand what I'm saying better.Heh, I think I've seen it three times. Loved it.

Yeah, Prince is crazy as a shithouse rat, but he's still amazingly talented.

As for his preferred genre, it clearly doesn't appeal to Rush-obsessed middle aged white guys. That's for sure. :)

Bob Dole
03-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Scanning through and not putting too much thought into it, Frampton and Schenker should have appeared somewhere in the top 100.

Ebolapox
03-10-2008, 08:02 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

BUT, BUT, BUT, HE'S THE MOST TALENTED AT HIS INSTRUMENT AND HIS VOICE, WHILE UNIQUE, ADDS TO THE ELEMENT OF HIS ROCKING! (wait--those arguments only work for RUSHFAN?!?)

KcMizzou
03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Just for reference, this is the Prince solo in question. (Posted earlier in the thread) Nobody ever said it was the best ever. The point (my point anyway) was that it completely shocked me. I had no idea Prince was such a talented guitarist.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z5zOPGMIyMQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z5zOPGMIyMQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

htismaqe
03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Analog Kid-Lifeson

the greatest guitarist of all time.

ROFL

Buehler445
03-11-2008, 07:17 AM
I can't believe you guys aren't talking more about Santana. I know he smoked himself retarted and doesn't rock out a lot, but the dude can pick the strings.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know nearly as much as you guys about this, I'm just curious on your thoughts of Santana.

siberian khatru
03-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Unless I missed it, has there been no love for John Frusciante?

Dartgod
03-11-2008, 07:27 AM
I don't know who the guitar player is, but I always like Hocus Pocus by Focus.

siberian khatru
03-11-2008, 07:33 AM

Jan Akkerman, the flying Dutchman.

Nzoner
03-11-2008, 07:54 AM

Great song,in fact check out this cover by another great guitarist Gary Hoey

edit:forgot to mention towards the end he does a few seconds of the Stranglehold riff

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YdmIo9igLMA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

beach tribe
03-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Unless I missed it, has there been no love for John Frusciante?

Some love right here.

CosmicPal
03-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Nice to see Eric Johnson get some love. Cliffs of Dover is a remarkable song.

A lot of those solos are deserving, however, when it comes to Hendrix, I think there are other songs more deserving than "Little Wing" but I'll have to listen to "Little Wing" again to understand why it was ranked so high. "Machine Gun" wows me every time and I personally feel it is a better solo than "Little Wing"

I noticed they based their list primarily on studio albums and left out the live albums which conveyed some of the most remarkable solos in music. Live music offers up the liberty to improvise and when given the chance to roll- a great many guitarists can really take it to another level. Jerry Garcia, Carlos Santana, Trey Anastasio are primary examples of this. Jazz guitarists shine when offered the chance to improvise as a great many heavy metal guitarists.

Marc Ribot is a highly under appreciated guitarist. Listen to his album Y Los Cubanos Postizos and you'll hear some great guitar work there.

"Maggot Brain" got a worthy mention....beautiful song.

Lastly, and this is my humble opinion, but I like Stevie Ray's cover of "Voodoo Chile" better than Hendrix's.

plbrdude
03-11-2008, 11:55 AM
back near '89 i got a cd called guitar speak. had a variety of guitarists steve howe, ronnie montrose, leslie west, rick derringer, alvin lee, just to name a few. all instrumental songs. wouldn't call any the greatest solos, but great music. if any one runs across it i highly recommend picking it up.