PDA

View Full Version : Soccer fans are crazy.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Soccer brawl in Colombia leaves 78 injured, 18 with stab wounds

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-colombia-soccerviolence&prov=ap&type=lgns

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP)—A stadium brawl at a soccer rivalry game left about 80 people wounded in the Colombian city of Cali late Saturday, 18 of them with stab wounds, emergency officials said.

Clashes broke out among America de Cali’s “Red Baron” fan club in the 82nd minute of the match with Deportivo de Cali and spread onto the field and around the Pascual Guerrero stadium.

Police fired tear gas as the brawlers lit firecrackers and tried to tear down fencing separating the stands from the field.

Eighteen people were stabbed during the melee, said Manuel Infante, spokesman for Cali’s Emergency Prevention Committee. They were treated at the stadium and taken to a local hospital. Another 60 suffered bruises and other minor injuries.

A young pregnant woman and three police officers were among the wounded, the Red Cross said.

Tensions flared over referee Wilman Roldan’s decision not to call a penalty kick against Cali. America protested the no-call, players traded blows on the field and America coach Diego Edison Umana got into the fray, elbowing his Cali counterpart Daniel Carreno.

Cali Mayor Jorge Ivan Ospina called Umana “directly responsible” for the violence and said the stadium’s stands would be closed temporarily.

Umana had harsh words for the refereeing later in comments published on the Web site of El Tiempo newspaper, but said there was “no excuse” for his behavior.

“It’s my fault, and if I have to leave soccer I’ll go,” Umana said.

Fans of the two Cali squads have had frequent clashes in the past, though less serious.

“This cannot happen again,” vowed Juan Carlos Abadia, governor of Del Valle department.

The chaos led Roldan to whistle an early end to the match, which Deportivo won 1-0 on a goal from defender Freddy Hurtado.

RibKing67
03-09-2008, 09:40 PM
And we want to promote this sport to our children?? This is why my boys will never play soccer.
I can't remember the last time there was a riot at Arrowhead.

MIAdragon
03-09-2008, 09:52 PM
And we want to promote this sport to our children?? This is why my boys will never play soccer.

Or the last time the Chiefs won.

MIAdragon
03-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I dont know why people watch that crap.

CrazyPhuD
03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Why is this news everyone knows cali is just ****ed up!

88TG88
03-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Why is this news everyone knows cali is just ****ed up!

lol

Rausch
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
My guess is Columbia has just a "few" problems and this was the average citizen letting go...

Silock
03-09-2008, 11:02 PM

Yes, because clearly, the sport is causing them to act this way. Clearly.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I've probably been too Americanized, too ADHD, but to me it seems like the sport has such a horrendous imbalance between offense and defense that it's just not all that enjoyable to watch. In many ways, it reminds me of trying to watch the NHL during the years of the neutral zone trap.

Scoring opportunities (like hockey during the 90's) seem to rely too heavily on centering passes with the hope of a deflection in order to get it past the goalie.

I can see how fans of Martyball would like it.

Rausch
03-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I've probably been too Americanized, too ADHD, but to me it seems like the sport has such a horrendous imbalance between offense and defense that it's just not all that enjoyable to watch. In many ways, it reminds me of trying to watch the NHL during the years of the neutral zone trap.

Scoring opportunities (like hockey during the 90's) seem to rely too heavily on centering passes with the hope of a deflection in order to get it past the goalie.

I'll have to admit it's more a player's sport than a spectator's sport. Having ADHD as well as playing I can speak to the "action" in the game. For the most part it was very much like Marty's time in that one great play can define the game.

By the same token that's why it can be exciting to watch once you follow. It only takes one outstanding play to win and you never know when that play will happen...

kcxiv
03-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Soccer fans are very very passionate. Its the most exciting/popular sport in the world for a reason. When a team scores, the fans go crazy. Its great. No other sport generates that kind of excitement. I dont think any even come close. Football may be 2nd, but with so many bandwagon fans. who knows.

Silock
03-09-2008, 11:19 PM

It depends on which team you're watching. Many teams are very offensive oriented, while some just like to bunker down and hope for a breakaway opportunity. The first is infinitely more exciting to watch.

BWillie
03-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Soccer fans are very very passionate. Its the most exciting/popular sport in the world for a reason. When a team scores, the fans go crazy. Its great. No other sport generates that kind of excitement. I dont think any even come close. Football may be 2nd, but with so many bandwagon fans. who knows.

There is not always specific reason that something has got popular. Sometimes a powerful group of people promote something, or a certain population of people do something, and alot of it is timing. Once something catches on no matter how stupid it is, it spreads like a wildfire. See the macarena dance, or the soulja boy dance. Are these dances really better than many other little dances out there? Most definitely not. Alot of things had to happen for them to get as popular as they did. It doesn't mean one sport is better than the other.

One other thing to consider is you can be dirt poor and play soccer. You just need two barriers and a ball. That's it.

kcxiv
03-09-2008, 11:44 PM
I never said it was better, i just said there isnt a more exciting sport. I have yet to see fans of any football team go crazy like the fans of a soccer team. I enjoy football and baseball more then any other sport, but them soccer countries go nuts.

ClevelandBronco
03-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Soccer fans are crazy. Got it.

I come here for all of my news gathering.

blueballs
03-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Raider fans winter in Columbia
it all makes sense to me now

ClevelandBronco
03-09-2008, 11:58 PM
...Its the most exciting/popular sport in the world for a reason...

It's the most popular sport for one reason.

It's among the least exciting sports for another reason.

Those reasons don't add up to one.

Rausch
03-10-2008, 12:03 AM
It's the most popular sport for one reason.

The same reason the most common cause of death world wide has persevered.

1 ball, 22 people...

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 12:04 AM
The same reason the most common cause of death world wide has persevered.

1 ball, 22 people...

Damned good point. I never looked at it that way.

Rausch
03-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Damned good point. I never looked at it that way.

I love soccer, BTW, but you can't pass up a joke that ripe for the picking...

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 12:17 AM
I love soccer, BTW, but you can't pass up a joke that ripe for the picking...

And I love hockey now.

What happens to good football fans over the years?

Rausch
03-10-2008, 12:22 AM
And I love hockey now.

What happens to good football fans over the years?

They actually notice when there's a holdout...

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 12:33 AM
And the best players are still grateful to become wealthy playing the game. I'd be honored to buy you a beer Rausch. Let me know if you're ever in my neighborhood.

Rausch
03-10-2008, 12:40 AM
And the best players are still grateful to become wealthy playing the game. I'd be honored to buy you a beer Rausch. Let me know if you're ever in my neighborhood.

If you live in Colorado you're off the hook.

I smoke...

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2008, 12:43 AM
If you live in Colorado you're off the hook.

I smoke...

I know what you mean. You're still welcome to light up in my home.

Rausch
03-10-2008, 12:51 AM
I know what you mean. You're still welcome to light up in my home.

Sweet.

You buy...:evil:

Direckshun
03-10-2008, 12:55 AM
I love soccer, but I agree here in America it's a player's sport.

Across the world... well. Find me a sport that's cheaper to play than soccer.

All you need is a damn circular object and a flat plane.

RibKing67
03-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Yes, because clearly, the sport is causing them to act this way. Clearly.

It clearly did not happen at a cricket match. Clearly.

Silock
03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
It clearly did not happen at a cricket match. Clearly.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/26/2127358.htm?section=justin

RibKing67
03-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Silock

Touche....But in my defense that has happened in Raytown over a game of horseshoes. Sounds more like a drunken family values tour than a pro sporting event.

doomy3
03-10-2008, 10:15 PM

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

CHIEF4EVER
03-11-2008, 01:09 PM
There are going to be people who will never like football (soccer) no matter what. They will ignorantly demonize it and take every opportunity to denigrate the sport and their fans. They probably couldn't tell you anything of substance about the game and most of the detractors don't even know the basic rules of the game. They certainly don't know any of the nuances of the game, what makes the game exciting or why it is one of the most dynamic and popular sports ever invented. That's OK, their loss. I love both football and American Football so I get the benefit of being able to see games of sports I love 24/7/365. You can't beat that. :)