PDA

View Full Version : The New Reciever Is

dtrain
03-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Chiefs | Team agrees to terms with Darling
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:19:49 -0700

Adam Teicher, of The Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs agreed to terms with free-agent WR Devard Darling (Ravens) Tuesday, March 11, on a three-year contract. Darling should compete for a starting wide receiver position on the Chiefs roster. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

jspchief
03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=27062

pr_capone
03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
This was posted in the "Chiefs have new WR" thread.

stlchiefs
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the info, I read through 5 pages of the "Chiefs have a new WR" thread and found only whining and guesses. I'll take a new thread with facts any day.

doomy3
03-11-2008, 02:18 PM
3 years, $5 Million. $1 Million signing bonus.

That info was in the other thread.

DTLB58
03-11-2008, 02:23 PM
2007 Baltimore 16 18 326 20.4 18.1 53 5.3 16 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Only 18 receptions in '07 but 16 first downs and 3 t.d.'s = productive when he does get the ball.

Mr. Laz
03-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info, I read through 5 pages of the "Chiefs have a new WR" thread and found only whining and guesses. I'll take a new thread with facts any day.

you mean like you're whining now?

Micjones
03-11-2008, 02:34 PM
This is a solid signing. Darling's better than any Receiver on the roster not named Bowe and could develop into a legitimate #2 with the opportunity.

This should also help us get the most out of Webb now that he has a real shot at breaking into the starting lineup. My money's on Darling, but having him here improves our pass-catching situation.

I'd still draft a Wide Receiver in the Middle Rounds of the Draft though.

stlchiefs
03-11-2008, 02:37 PM
you mean like you're whining now?

Sure, If a post of appreciation and statement of what I read in the other thread is whining. Slow offseason leads to increased bitching i guess.

stlchiefs
03-11-2008, 02:39 PM
2007 Baltimore 16 18 326 20.4 18.1 53 5.3 16 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Only 18 receptions in '07 but 16 first downs and 3 t.d.'s = productive when he does get the ball.

18 of his 20 receptions occurred last year. Not amazing numbers by any means, but it sounds like he's starting to learn how to play in the league. We picked up a young 3rd rounder without having to give up any picks of our own, sounds like a decent acquisition. Granted he's not the big name we'd all like to see, but it has become obvious Carl won't grant that wish this offseason.

GoHuge
03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Print 'em! He was the missing link :clap:. Now we just need a tackle, center, guard, QB, blocking TE, fullback, and this offense will be a juggernaut!!

Frosty
03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
He came out as a junior and, by all accounts, wasn't ready. It looks like the light may finally be turning on and the Chiefs are getting him at the right time.

jspchief
03-11-2008, 02:49 PM
FWIW, he went on the IR list in Oct. of his rookie year.

Micjones
03-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Croyle's got two big targets now...
And his new one can get up field...

R&GHomer
03-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Good, Bad, or Indifferent. This is exactly the type of player Herm said they would go after. I for one think this is a solid signing.

beach tribe
03-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Croyle's got two big targets now...
And his new one can get up field...

Yea, he runs a 4.5. He gonna be smoking down the field. :rolleyes:

I'd rather have parker on the other side this guy can't stretch the field.

Sure-Oz
03-11-2008, 03:01 PM

yeah so parker can drop the long bomb and can't get much seperation as well.

I'd take a guy with a decent speed and size over parker and his 5 yard catches.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Man, this is a great,great solid signing. Only two questions come to mind about him.

Who! and Who!

stlchiefs
03-11-2008, 03:03 PM

Parker had his time and didn't prove he was worth much. I'm more than willing to give someone else a shot at being more than adequate. What's the worst that could happen we don't make the playoffs?

beach tribe
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
yeah so parker can drop the long bomb and can't get much seperation as well.

I'd take a guy with a decent speed and size over parker and his 5 yard catches.

I'm not endorsing Parker. I hate that little ****er, but this guy is nothing, but another body. I don't see decent speed being a 4.52 at wr, and we are in need of a burner. We've got all the Sippios we can handle.

Simply Red
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Mrs. Johnston always gave us Popcorn balls when we'd `trick or treat.` To me; that was different.

txhawk
03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Parker is terrible. And has been for some time. Darling is a project, no doubt. But if he is good, no one would know when the only people at QB for Baltimore have been McNair and that other jackass. I agree with stlchiefs, he was cheap, so give him a shot, what do we have to lose?

Sure-Oz
03-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm not endorsing Parker. I hate that little ****er, but this guy is nothing, but another body. I don't see decent speed being a 4.52 at wr, and we are in need of a burner. We've got all the Sippios we can handle.

Anyone that can push the rest of the scrubs behind Bowe is what im all about. The guy didn't look too bad last year in his short time, i say atleast give him a chance cause we aren't signing any big name guy. I'd rather see him push the others out of the water or atleast make their game or lack there of better.

beach tribe
Parker had his time and didn't prove he was worth much. I'm more than willing to give someone else a shot at being more than adequate. What's the worst that could happen we don't make the playoffs?

I have no playoff asperations. I do however have a desire for a speed reciever. Now we have 4 possession recievers(although Bowe is more than that) We need a deep threat. Hopefully we'll grab one in the draft.

RustShack
Eric Price recruited him to play at Washington State, so our WR coach already knows him.

beach tribe
03-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Anyone that can push the rest of the scrubs behind Bowe is what im all about. The guy didn't look too bad last year in his short time, i say atleast give him a chance cause we aren't signing any big name guy. I'd rather see him push the others out of the water or atleast make their game or lack there of better.

That makes sense to me.

Micjones
03-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Darling has a track background and has run a 4.4 in the past.
He plays faster than he times as well.

Measurables don't make football players. Get over it.

Parker and all his speed never amounted to anything more than an average #3.

KCChiefsMan
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM
never heard of him. But if he's some kind of up & comer in the league with some potential, then fine. At least we won't be pissed off if he ends up teh suck.

Bowser
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Ed McCafferty and Rod Smith were never 4.4 guys, but they both always seemed to tear us up.

KC4EVER
03-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I like this move, an under the radar guy ready to develope into his own, I think we all need to give credit to Herm for trying to find guys that are young and upcoming like he did last year with Boone.

stlchiefs
03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Even if he's no better than Parker as long as he doesn't taunt like made the catch of the century after every 5 yard catch I'll be happier.

beach tribe
03-11-2008, 03:26 PM

I was just hopeing he would be a burner. I have changed my tune. this guy is gonna squeeze Webb out of the way. I like that.

Micjones
03-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Or he could push Webb to become a legitimate #2 himself.
Either way, the competition is good.

Now bring on Eddie Royal!

BigVE
03-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Bump for this thread because the original one is garbage.

Deberg_1990
03-11-2008, 03:58 PM

What does this mean?? People say that alot, but WTF does it really mean??

Ebolapox
03-11-2008, 04:02 PM

it generally means that he's slower than sh*t, but he doesn't PLAY like it.

Deberg_1990
03-11-2008, 04:03 PM
it generally means that he's slower than sh*t, but he doesn't PLAY like it.

Whatever..

Slow is slow

and fast is fast..

Bowser
03-11-2008, 04:03 PM

:spock:

Micjones
03-11-2008, 04:07 PM

It's like the difference between racing another human being and running from a dog.

Real bullets are flying on the field.
Darling plays up to game speed and runs faster than he would just being timed.

stlchiefs
03-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Quit whining. :D

GoHuge
03-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Man, this is a great,great solid signing. Only two questions come to mind about him.

Who! and Who!He's the guy from last year who had the thing with that guy over there at the place with the other thing.

Thig Lyfe
03-11-2008, 04:14 PM
PRRRRRRRRRRRRRINT EM

RustShack
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
He is slow as shit because he didn't run the 40 yard dash 1/2 a second faster ROFL

RustShack
03-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Also bigger guys can still run pretty as in all thier pads, where as smaller guys tend to get slowed down a little bit more. I don't care how he runs in shorts, all I care about is how he runs/plays on the field.

chop
03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I like this move, an under the radar guy ready to develope into his own, I think we all need to give credit to Herm for trying to find guys that are young and upcoming like he did last year with Boone.

Are you trying to be sarcastic? Boone is 32 years old.

Ebolapox
03-11-2008, 04:29 PM
He is slow as shit because he didn't run the 40 yard dash 1/2 a second faster ROFL

I'm talking in general, not about darling (that's f*cked up to type)

in general, when people say 'good football speed' or 'plays faster than timed,' it means that they time slow, but don't play like it. chad johnson is a great example, as is jerry rice. they both timed in the sub 4.6 range (slow as hell for a WR), but both play/played in the 4.3 range

Iowanian
03-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Whatever..

Slow is slow

and fast is fast..

A lot of "lightening fast" wrs have sucked every year they were in the league, or tried to get into it.

I just want football players...wrs who run good routes, and catch the damn ball.

Sammy Parker was fast.....

Ebolapox
03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
john capel is a hall of fame speed receiver, correct?

wait--he isn't? wasn't he an olympic sprinter? he MUST be a good WR!

Deberg_1990
03-11-2008, 04:37 PM
A lot of "lightening fast" wrs have sucked every year they were in the league, or tried to get into it.

I just want football players...wrs who run good routes, and catch the damn ball.

Sammy Parker was fast.....

Agreed. Speed means nothing if you cant catch the ball or get seperation.

Alot of slower guys succeed because they can catch in traffic and know how to get seperation from defenders with quick cuts or beat a jam.

Dave Lane
03-11-2008, 04:44 PM

Hi Mrs Edwards good to know you post here!

Dave

mikey23545
03-11-2008, 04:49 PM

You're just being a moron.
Jerry Rice wishes he could have run a 4.52 40. It's not always about stopwatch, no-pads-on speed.

Easy 6
03-11-2008, 05:07 PM
It's like the difference between racing another human being and running from a dog.

Thats a GREAT way to put it...can you change direction suddenly, engage-break free from DB's, twist, turn, leap, go over the shoulder & tap your feet...all while keeping stride & then make the catch???

Of course i'd like to see a 4.33 guy here that can do those things (& maybe this guy isnt so great at'em either?), but for now, a young, 4 year (proven to an extent) vet that comes in for the right $$$ is another shrewd, early move.

Chiefmanwillcatch
03-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Exactly.

I am beginning to wonder about all the football experts on this board.

There aren't 4.3 WRs all over the NFL.

You need routerunners who can shake a defender. Jerry Rice wasn't a 4.3 guy.

I like this signing.

He's a big kid. 6'2" or 6'3".

teedubya
03-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Devard is an identical twin, who's brother died at Wash St. due to overexhaustion. That has to create a fire within when your IDENTICAL bro dies. I bet this turns out to be a real solid pick up. Last time we grabbed an unknown Raven, it seemed to workout.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=73880&d=1192939092

Chiefmanwillcatch
03-11-2008, 05:42 PM
www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d805a0638
www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804ccf05
www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804552b8
www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804fbae4
www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80454ea0

ChiefsCountry
03-11-2008, 05:43 PM
You did realize that Priest wasnt an unknown, he had 1000 yard rushing year for the Ravens and then got hurt and they drafted Jamal Lewis.

Micjones
03-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Holmes was more proven than Darling. Can't argue that, but no one expected what he would later accomplish in Kansas City.

If Darling can have a quarter of that success he'll be a great acquisition.

the Talking Can
03-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Good, Bad, or Indifferent. This is exactly the type of player Herm said they would go after. I for one think this is a solid signing.

agree on all counts

at least we'll find out one thing: if Herm really has an eye for talent....

I love these kind of signings....2nd contract guys, glimpses of potential, no risk all reward...his contract is peanuts....

Micjones
03-11-2008, 05:55 PM
agree on all counts

at least we'll find out one thing: if Herm really has an eye for talent....

I love these kind of signings....2nd contract guys, glimpses of potential, no risk all reward...his contract is peanuts....

I like this signing, but I would look for a couple more well established FA's to help out at Guard and Cornerback.

blackhawk
03-11-2008, 06:00 PM
http://asonefoundation.org/soulsurvivor.html
Sports Illustrated Article

Soul Survivor - Download PDF
By Gary Smith, Senior Writer, Sports Illustrated
Originally featured in Sports Illustrated, December 2, 2002

The golden helmet gleamed upon the pedestal beneath the foyer light. It stopped the boy as he came through his mother's front door. It held his eyes. He'd searched everywhere else. Why not here? Devard lifted the helmet from the pedestal and peered inside. After all, if the soul resided in the mind, and the mind resided in the cranium, and the cranium resided—during his identical twin's moments of greatest hope and aliveness—inside this golden Seminoles helmet…then couldn't it be here?

It might fit inside a helmet. It wasn't a complete soul, mind you. Just half of one. Devard and his twin had gone halves on everything their entire live—splendid arrangement right up to the day that Devaughn, pursuing their dream, worked himself to death. But now that Devaughn was gone…

Devard pulled the helmet over his head. He walked into the living room, then the kitchen. He looked at the newspaper. Patience. It might take a while to lure the half-soul back.
His mother and two sisters stole glances. It was an odd sight, a boy walking around the house in street clothes and a football helmet—heartbreaking and humorous and eerier all at once. But they were wise, and the kept silent.

He returned to the foyer—and froze. There, in the flash of the mirror by the bathroom door, in the glimpse of eyes framed by the headgear, he'd almost sensed it, felt it, found it. The mirror pulled him closer…closer…

He swallowed what rose in this throat as he stared at his eyes. He removed the helmet and returned it to the pedestal.

No. His half-soul wasn't in the helmet. He'd have to keep searching.

Science can't explain it. Now and then, once in about every 250 human conceptions, the fertilized egg splits, creating two distinct embryos containing identical genetic material. There's magic in this sudden duplication, a powder keg of psychic implications for the pair of children born. This was understood long ago and over there, where the ancestors of Devard and Devaughn Darling lived.

African tribes created rituals and totems to contain this magic—some even built fences around the homes of newborn twins. Some killed one or both twins upon birth; others rejoiced and made offerings. Some tribes buried a dead twin as swiftly as possible, or not at all, leaving the body sitting on a rock and then fleeing without looking back. The Yoruba, of Nigeria , sensed that identical twins possessed just one soul between them, and they understood the spiritual emergency when a child's double died. That's why they carved a wooden figurine for the deceased twin's half-soul to reside in, an object for the survivor to wash and clothe and feed, to reach for whenever he felt half of himself missing and needed something—God, something —to hold onto.

Somewhere in the clang of manacle and chains and the stench of a slave ship's lower deck, such understanding began to be lost. And so one day in the second month of 2001, as Devaughn Darling lay dying in front of his twin at the end of an off-season football conditioning workout at Florida State, Devard had to begin his search on his own, without figurines or ceremonies to see him through the trauma. On his own, amid a tribe whose principal ritual occurred in stadiums thronged with thousands of people worshiping strength and speed, youth and vitality. God only knew how he'd find his missing half-soul, how he'd keep his brother's memory alive, but it would have to be with a football.

long read but good!

DaWolf
03-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Hopefully this turns into a situation like the Saints had when they signed Joe Horn away from us. Under the radar guy who needed a shot to bust out...

Chiefs Pantalones
03-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Lets get Bowe and Darling an offensive line and a QB to get them the ball.

Al Bundy
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Darling played with 2 of the most ineffective QB's this past year.. I think this is a very good signing for the Chiefs.

shaneo69
03-11-2008, 08:05 PM
A 3rd round pick with 20 catches in 4 years? This guy sounds like a Carl Peterson draft pick. I'm guessing that he's been considered a major bust by Ravens fans, especially since they haven't exactly had all-pro WR's ahead of him.

As cheap as the contract was, I don't think anyone can say this is a bad signing, but by the same token, I don't know how anyone can realistically think that he's going to be better than a #3 or #4 WR based on his 4 years of experience.

sedated
03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Devard is an identical twin, who's brother died at Wash St. due to overexhaustion.

If I remember correctly, he and his brother were both at Florida State when his brother died, then he transferred to Wash. St.

sedated
03-11-2008, 08:24 PM
People doubted Bowe because of his combine speed.

He was fairly productive.

Deberg_1990
03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Aespecially since they haven't exactly had all-pro WR's ahead of him.

Actually Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason are pretty decent.

shaneo69
03-11-2008, 08:48 PM
^
Yeah, I checked their stats from the last three years, and you're right, they have been pretty good.

Just gotta hope Darling can build on this past season. Hard to imagine why Baltimore would just let him walk for chump change though, if they thought he still had upside. Guess Harbaugh/Cameron want their own players at that position.

Deberg_1990
03-11-2008, 08:51 PM
^
Yeah, I checked their stats from the last three years, and you're right, they have been pretty good.

Just gotta hope Darling can build on this past season. Hard to imagine why Baltimore would just let him walk for chump change though, if they thought he still had upside. Guess Harbaugh/Cameron want their own players at that position.

Baltimore is pretty deep at WR. They have a young kid there Demetrius Williams they are pretty high on as well.

sedated
03-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Hard to imagine why Baltimore would just let him walk for chump change though

same could be said about a lot of free agents.

the same team let go a pretty good RB named...um...what was it...Priest something.

melbar
03-11-2008, 09:09 PM
If he can run good routes and make cuts he may be alright. Have to see. If he doesnt return kicks, we can concentrate on a KR specialist later in the draft without having to depend on him also being the other starting WR.

melbar
03-11-2008, 09:11 PM
^

They just had nobody throwing them the ball.

CrazyPhuD
03-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Actually this is a case where the stats can be deceiving... You say oh 331 yards and 3 TD in 20 receptions in 4 years.....

What I see is 316 yards on 17 receptions with 3 TD to close out the last 8 games of 2007. He does that over a 16 game season and you have 632 yards and 6 TD. Nobody but TG or Bowe put up anywhere close to those numbers.

I like this signing...cheap and rising....

boogblaster
03-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Sometimes a player just gets better then all of a sudden he's traded ....

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I love this signing. I've expected him to become a solid NFL WR since he was in college, and he finally started proving that out last year. And a new Chief that I'm already familiar with and have always kind of rooted for is also just neat, so there's that, too.

Frosty
03-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Hard to imagine why Baltimore would just let him walk for chump change though, if they thought he still had upside.

Baltimore is up against the cap, so keeping their 4th string WR probably wasn't high on their To Do list.

CupidStunt
03-12-2008, 07:23 AM

Couple very nice catches in there, which is more than we can say about any Chiefs WR not named Dwayne Bowe.

keg in kc
03-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Seems to fit right into the profile of receiver we're going for now, at least in terms of raw numbers. Another guy with the height/weight/speed we saw from Webb and Hannon. Hopefully he shows us something.

Baby Lee
03-12-2008, 07:39 AM
I've always had an innate appreciation of 'game speed' from my experience playing soccer. As a sprinter, I was shit. As a striker, I could smoke most on a break for the goal.

beach tribe
03-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I've done some research, and have really warmed up to this guy. Could be a real steal.

jspchief
03-12-2008, 08:10 AM
We're not going to have an offense that produces two 1k yard WRs anyway.

What we need is to get guys on the field that are reliable enough that they can hurt opponents that double Bowe and/or Gonzo. That means guys that run good routes, have good hands and can make plays in traffic. I don't necessarily think they have to be burners to help our passing game.

I have no idea if Darling is that type of guy or not. I didn't expect us to get a flashy name for that job anyway, so I can't say I mind the pick-up.

DaKCMan AP
03-12-2008, 08:26 AM
We're not going to have an offense that produces two 1k yard WRs anyway.

What we need is to get guys on the field that are reliable enough that they can hurt opponents that double Bowe and/or Gonzo. That means guys that run good routes, have good hands and can make plays in traffic. I don't necessarily think they have to be burners to help our passing game.

I have no idea if Darling is that type of guy or not. I didn't expect us to get a flashy name for that job anyway, so I can't say I mind the pick-up.

IMO, our offense hit an all-time low last season and we still almost produced two 1000yd receivers (albeit not WRs). TonyG had 1100yds and DBowe had 995. I think we can all agree that the O has nowhere to go but up.

Halfcan
03-12-2008, 04:09 PM
wow

BigChiefFan
03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
IMO, our offense hit an all-time low last season and we still almost produced two 1000yd receivers (albeit not WRs). TonyG had 1100yds and DBowe had 995. I think we can all agree that the O has nowhere to go but up.
I think we will be even worse this year.

Halfcan
03-12-2008, 04:18 PM
herm wants LESS scoring-this aint no fuggin Arena ball boy

Zouk
03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
http://asonefoundation.org/soulsurvivor.html
Sports Illustrated Article

Soul Survivor - Download PDF
By Gary Smith, Senior Writer, Sports Illustrated
Originally featured in Sports Illustrated, December 2, 2002

This is truly an incredible story. I agree that it is a must read.

BigChiefFan
03-12-2008, 04:32 PM
This is truly an incredible story. I agree that it is a must read.

Thanks, Gretz.

Micjones
03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I think we will be even worse this year.

With an improved offensive line, a healthy Larry Johnson and one more offensive weapon?

I can't see it.

CupidStunt
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Gretz.

Do you get paid per post being a prick?

Mr. Flopnuts
03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
He came out as a junior and, by all accounts, wasn't ready. It looks like the light may finally be turning on and the Chiefs are getting him at the right time.

Agreed. Wholeheartedly. This guy could become something special. He's really just coming into his own.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-12-2008, 06:39 PM

findthedr?

OnTheWarpath15
03-12-2008, 07:01 PM
findthedr?

I was thinking the same thing.

The exact same links, in the exact same order were used in a post of his elsewhere.

BigChiefFan
03-12-2008, 08:26 PM
With an improved offensive line, a healthy Larry Johnson and one more offensive weapon?

I can't see it.
So far there are no signs of an improved O-line in sight. The draft may help. The way I see it, Croyle is still learning, we've released more starters then we've added, and we have an new offensive coordinator to get everybody on the same page. That's a lot of what ifs in my opinion.

BigChiefFan
03-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Do you get paid per post being a prick?
So saying thanks, Gretz makes somebody a prick? You lost me at hello.

Sorry, but I see that person as a total homer and called him, Gretz, because the similiaraties are uncanny.

BIG K
03-12-2008, 09:44 PM
So far there are no signs of an improved O-line in sight. The draft may help. The way I see it, Croyle is still learning, we've released more starters then we've added, and we have an new offensive coordinator to get everybody on the same page. That's a lot of what ifs in my opinion.

Perhaps, MIC meant that ANY line would be an improvement over last year....Unless of course Johnson will be our new LT....