PDA

View Full Version : Windoze Vista 64bit-Anyone else using it?

Kerberos
03-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Well just a few things to point out with my Windows Vista 64bit frustrations.

1st thing is I let a good friend talk me into loading this complex mess of an operating system. He loaned me his XP 64 bit to load first because his 10 user licensed version of Vista 64Buisness only let you use the UPGRADE feature but unlike OLDER versions of windows it will not start loading and just ask for prior proof of windows by putting in older version CD. NO NO NO you have to load windows XP 64 to upgrade to the Vista 64. Then it doesn't load the upgrade it looks at the XP 64 and loads full version anyway. :banghead:

I did this dual load 3 times on a Sunday and everytime I get the Vista 64 loaded over the XP 64 I get a blue screen.

OK after the second time I pulled two of the 1GB sticks to have 2GB of RAM instead of 4GB.

It still blue screens.. :banghead: :cuss:

Third time I unhook EVERYTHING except the primary hard drive and ONE DVD-ROM.

It still Blue Screens.. :banghead: :cuss:

I call my buddy and cuss him out for an hour and finally he tells me to bring my machine to him (this is like a mechanic taking his car to another shop cause he can't fix it himself) reluctanly I took it to him since I have known him since grade school and he works in retail and has vast hours experience working with Vista and I have had 1 unsuccessful Sunday total with Vista.

Come to find out that the board I am using;
Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H
along with the video card:
BFG 8800 GTS
and the 4 SATA hard drives:
1 X 80GB
3 X 500GB
and 6 case fans:
Including the Zalmann heat sink on the CPU that weighs close to 3 lbs in copper.

They all together were drawing enough juice that the 550Watt PS couldn't handle the load.

750W PS and $100 later Vista 64 was now loaded.

First thing that happens is my bios was not set to accept a USB mouse and I did not know that till after I had deleted the USB devices out of the device manager to have windows refind them hoping to pick up the mouse.

BIG MISTAKE... Every version of windows from Win98 forward you could delete devices in the device manager and reboot to have windows refind them again.

NOT VISTA 64. :banghead: :cuss:

I tried and tried and tried to figure out what to do to fix this and NOTHING worked till I loaded Vista on Vista and then they came back.

Couple days ago I loaded Roxio8 and it kept giving me errors while loading and by the time it was done I lost 2 services that controlled the DVD-ROMS and they showed up in device mangaer with errors.

I tried the services.msc and nothing was disabled. I tried manufacturer drivers for the drives and of course they would not load any way I tried to get them on because it wasn't really the drivers that it was lacking it was 2 services that were disabled so this did absolutely nothing.

Last option once again was a Vista on Vista reloading of windows.

:banghead: :cuss:

Needless to say I am just about ready to go back to 32bit XP.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Wow, that's f*cking horrendous.

kaplin42
03-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Well just a few things to point out with my Windows Vista 64bit frustrations.

1st thing is I let a good friend talk me into loading this complex mess of an operating system. He loaned me his XP 64 bit to load first because his 10 user licensed version of Vista 64Buisness only let you use the UPGRADE feature but unlike OLDER versions of windows it will not start loading and just ask for prior proof of windows by putting in older version CD. NO NO NO you have to load windows XP 64 to upgrade to the Vista 64. Then it doesn't load the upgrade it looks at the XP 64 and loads full version anyway. :banghead:

I did this dual load 3 times on a Sunday and everytime I get the Vista 64 loaded over the XP 64 I get a blue screen.

OK after the second time I pulled two of the 1GB sticks to have 2GB of RAM instead of 4GB.

It still blue screens.. :banghead: :cuss:

Third time I unhook EVERYTHING except the primary hard drive and ONE DVD-ROM.

It still Blue Screens.. :banghead: :cuss:

I call my buddy and cuss him out for an hour and finally he tells me to bring my machine to him (this is like a mechanic taking his car to another shop cause he can't fix it himself) reluctanly I took it to him since I have known him since grade school and he works in retail and has vast hours experience working with Vista and I have had 1 unsuccessful Sunday total with Vista.

Come to find out that the board I am using;
Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H
along with the video card:
BFG 8800 GTS
and the 4 SATA hard drives:
1 X 80GB
3 X 500GB
and 6 case fans:
Including the Zalmann heat sink on the CPU that weighs close to 3 lbs in copper.

They all together were drawing enough juice that the 550Watt PS couldn't handle the load.

750W PS and $100 later Vista 64 was now loaded.

First thing that happens is my bios was not set to accept a USB mouse and I did not know that till after I had deleted the USB devices out of the device manager to have windows refind them hoping to pick up the mouse.

BIG MISTAKE... Every version of windows from Win98 forward you could delete devices in the device manager and reboot to have windows refind them again.

NOT VISTA 64. :banghead: :cuss:

I tried and tried and tried to figure out what to do to fix this and NOTHING worked till I loaded Vista on Vista and then they came back.

Couple days ago I loaded Roxio8 and it kept giving me errors while loading and by the time it was done I lost 2 services that controlled the DVD-ROMS and they showed up in device mangaer with errors.

I tried the services.msc and nothing was disabled. I tried manufacturer drivers for the drives and of course they would not load any way I tried to get them on because it wasn't really the drivers that it was lacking it was 2 services that were disabled so this did absolutely nothing.

Last option once again was a Vista on Vista reloading of windows.

:banghead: :cuss:

Needless to say I am just about ready to go back to 32bit XP.

Wow, sorry you are having so many problems. I think really it's because you did an upgrade instead of a clean install. I know the circumstances dictated it, but upgrading never ends well.

I have a clean slate install of Vista x64 and it runs like a champ. No problems, no worries, no issues.

chasedude
03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I installed 64 bit on my machine with only one problem, no sound drivers. I did a clean install on a brand new system so mine wasn't an upgrade. I've emailed MSI (MoBo manufacture) repeatedly about the lack of drivers with no avail. I ended up buying an PCI sound card problem solved.

kaplin42
03-17-2008, 02:16 PM
I installed 64 bit on my machine with only one problem, no sound drivers. I did a clean install on a brand new system so mine wasn't an upgrade. I've emailed MSI (MoBo manufacture) repeatedly about the lack of drivers with no avail. I ended up buying an PCI sound card problem solved.

Did you have an onboard sound card or a PCI one?

I know that sound blaster live is not exactly thrilling when it comes to their support for sound cards and Vista.

Kerberos
03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
I tell you what bothers me MOST is all my old software like Roxio 8, Diskeeper 8 Home and a select other few programs are not supported in Vista 64.

I really don't want to chuck out another $200 to $400 for updated software and that is getting it with upgrades and not full versions.

Then again upgrades on some software would dictate that you have it loaded on your system to upgrade it. ROXIO 8 gives me error after error while loading so god knows if the upgrade will work without having older version loaded first?

One of the kewl features in Vista 64 that XP 64 didn't have are the dual IE browsers. One 32bit and one 64bit. If something won't run on the 64 version you can open the 32 version and so far I have had no problems with anyting when having to do that.