PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of bad ideas

Dave Lane
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Anyone else think given Jareds history that this is a really really bad idea?

Dave

http://www.topix.com/content/kri/2008/01/chiefs-jared-allen-will-open-his-sports-bar-in-march

Chiefs' Jared Allen will open his sports bar in March

Kansas City Star

January 25, 2008

* Original Kansas City Star article: Chiefs' Jared Allen will open his sports bar in March Read the original story

Read all 2 comments »

Defensive end and National Football League sack leader Jared Allen plans to be connected to Kansas City for the long term.

Maybe not through the Chiefs -- his contract is up at the end of February, though the team may slap the franchise tag to retain him -- but at least through his personal ties here and a new 11,000-square-foot sports bar west of downtown that will bear his name.

Jared Allen Sports Arena & Grill is scheduled to open March 7 at 700 Southwest Blvd., with 17 42-inch plasma TVs, a game room, a dance club, an outdoor rooftop deck and a street-level patio.

Allen, who hails from Los Gatos, Calif., said he has grown to love Kansas City and its residents, and his best friend lives here, so he will be back often, at least in the offseason.

'This will be a one-stop sports event, but a restaurant first,' Allen said. 'Good food is key.'

Allen has put his personal chef, Rodney Clodfelter, in charge of the menu -- everything from bar food to upscale entrees, all cooked to order.

Members of the Romo family, owners of the building, also are partners in the new operation.

On Friday, artists were putting finishing touches on University of Missouri and University of Kansas logos wrapping around the walls of the restaurant area, with the other Big 12 logos to come. A mural of Allen in top sacking form will be by the front entrance.

The spot has housed several operations, from original tenant California Taqueria in 1995 to Cafe Sevilla to Casa Grande.

Allen said he was attracted to the size of the operation and its upscale design, which includes Spanish architecture, towering ceilings and windows, and arched passageways.

The operation will offer shuttles to Arrowhead Stadium and to lofts and hotels in the downtown loop, as well as valet service and golf cart service from area parking lots.

It also will enforce a strict dress code.

'We won't tolerate trouble, no riffraff,' said general manager Chuck Tabor. 'The clients we expect to come in will be a cut above.'

Still, the downtown sports bar competition is heating up with such operations as McFadden's Sports Saloon, Willie's Kansas City, Tanner's Bar & Grill and Paddy O'Quigley's.

'Everyone says location, location, location, but I say great service, great food, and they will come, especially for Kansas City's new favorite son,' Tabor said. 'We'll be having brunch and pep rallies so everyone can meet to go to the stadium.

'And especially after the game, this will be everybody's destination.'

Copyright © 2008 Kansas City Star, All Rights Reserved.

Lonewolf Ed
03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
It does seem to be a recipe for disaster...

ClevelandBronco
03-17-2008, 05:18 PM
It's been discussed.

I think that the consensus of opinion here held that any guy named Jared should own a Subway before he should own a bar.

Bugeater
03-17-2008, 05:21 PM
But he's cured...

Bowser
03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Just feed him the O'Doul's, and everything will be fine.

CHIEF MARLBORO
03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Just feed him the O'Doul's, and everything will be fine.

Hey nut engulfer, Coors Cutter is better. **** O'Douls and **** you douchebag.

Bowser
03-17-2008, 06:20 PM

I thought this was the time of day you were supposed to be fisting your sister. Did she stand you up for your date again?

Rasputin
03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Opening a new bar ~Jared Allen Sports Arena~ doesn't exactly sound like he plans to be going any where. He must expect a long term deal or why would he open a bar now? I don't have any problem with him opening a bar in KC, that's cool, maybe he can put a cot in the back room just so he doesn't have to leave.

Bowser
03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Opening a new bar ~Jared Allen Sports Arena~ doesn't exactly sound like he plans to be going any where. He must expect a long term deal or why would he open a bar now? I don't have any problem with him opening a bar in KC, that's cool, maybe he can put a cot in the back room just so he doesn't have to leave.

Hell, Neil Smith had Copeland's when he became a damned dirty Bronco, and I think Rod Woodson had a steakhouse in Pittsburgh when he moved on (to Oakland?).

Rasputin
03-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Hell, Neil Smith had Copeland's when he became a damned dirty Bronco, and I think Rod Woodson had a steakhouse in Pittsburgh when he moved on (to Oakland?).

True, but I am trying to find some hope that JA is going to be here long term. JA can open a bar in any City and continue to be a Chief or 'other team' I just think that maybe him opening a bar now shows that his intent is to stay here and would like to get a deal done ASAP & stay in KC. Next year who knows if he will be here or not?

BWillie
03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Why would anything with the name Jared Allen Sports Bar associated with it make any attempt to be classy and to have a dress code. Seems odd to me

beach tribe
03-17-2008, 08:04 PM

What a retard. I think they should keep you around this time.

Anytime someone feels down they can be reminded that at least they're not you.

****ing laughing at you.

Halfcan
03-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Babe Ruth played drunk-so can JA

beach tribe
03-19-2008, 10:40 AM
To Marlboro Chief:

You threaten me and my family? Say you're gonna be in the area?

I know you're full of shit, but just for the record, They would never find your body in the everglades.

Fat Elvis
03-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I find it ironic that the patrons won't be able to watch the owner play football at the bar due to the upcoming blackouts.....

Might as well make it Jared's Kountry Karaoke Bar.