PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs have good reason to avoid free agents

Hammock Parties
03-17-2008, 08:25 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/738400.html

Bummed that the Chiefs haven’t made any big splashes in free agency? Disappointed they didn’t lift a finger in pursuit of players like wide receiver Bernard Berrian, guard Alan Faneca and cornerback Asante Samuel? Ready to sell your season tickets?

In the words of Herm Edwards, get over it.

According to a league source, the Chiefs currently have more cap room than any other NFL team, so frustration from the fans is understandable. But KC’s lack of action in free agency is hardly unexpected.

All you have to do is drive by the Truman Sports Complex, and you’ll soon realize why the Chiefs’ front office showed almost no interest whatsoever in this year’s crop of premium free agents.

Renovating Arrowhead Stadium is not proving to be cheap for the family that brought the NFL to Kansas City. Yes, Jackson County taxpayers have done their part, but Clark Hunt and family are also on the hook for upwards of $150 million.

It’s unrealistic to expect the Chiefs to go out and throw large signing bonuses around when the most expensive part of the franchise is getting a facelift. Throwing all your financial eggs into the basket of one offseason simply isn’t smart business.

Consider the example set in Green Bay. While Lambeau Field began renovations in 2001, the Packers signed exactly zero free agents of note that offseason. The only starter who arrived from free agency was defensive tackle Jim Flanigan. I don’t have the numbers on the contract he signed at the time, but I’m guessing it didn’t break any records.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not calling Hunt or the Chiefs cheap. There’s a difference between being cheap (see the 2004 Chiefs offseason) and spending your money wisely.

What purpose would blowing over $100 million on free agents – see the Oakland Raiders or New York Jets – serve for next year’s Chiefs? This was a 4-12 team in 2007. No amount of money spent in one offseason is capable of landing them in next season’s championship game. Vegas recently acknowledged this fact, casting the Chiefs as 100 to 1 odds to win Super Bowl XLIII. <table align="right" cellspacing="7" width="225"><tbody><tr><td>http://media.scout.com/media/image/53/530795.jpg
DeMorrio Williams - Cheap? Yes. Flashy? No.
Scott Halleran - Getty </td></tr></tbody></table> Spending the kind of cash Raiders’ owner Al Davis has been handing out since free agency began (hey, you can’t take it with you, Al) assures only one thing - placation of a fan base. We’ve seen that song and dance before. The Tennessee Titans flexed some public-relations muscle a few days ago when they signed defensive end Jevon Kearse.

Sure, Kearse was cheap, and he’s washed up as a player. Don’t tell that to Tennessee fans. As soon as The Freak signed on the dotted line and returned to the team that drafted him, Titans message boards across the internet lit up in excitement. Few cared that the team had dumped a promising young player (Antwan Odom (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2981765)) in favor of an oft-injured veteran.

Now imagine the Chiefs doing the same with quarterback Trent Green, who signed with the St. Louis Rams last week. The notion that Green could have rejoined the Chiefs is far-fetched considering the nature of his departure last offseason, but stranger things have happened (Gunther Cunningham’s return, for example).

Nobody has developed any sort of attachment to Brodie Croyle (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980118) just yet. If Green had returned to Kansas City, thousands of Chiefs fans would have been overjoyed. Likely, KC sports radio would have been filled with people expressing playoff hopes.

You want to sell tickets and give a fan base hope? Dump tons of money on free agents, or sign some veterans with “name recognition,” and worry about the consequences later.

Not the 2008 Chiefs. They’re following Herm Edwards’ plan almost perfectly (with an unfortunate whiff at kicker Josh Brown (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2962930)). Look at the three players the team has signed so far – Oliver Hoyte (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2982079), DeMorrio Williams, Devard Darling (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3263025).

All are coming off short stints with their first team. All are 27 or younger. None of them inspire hope the way premium-talent players like Berrian, Faneca and Samuel might, but optimism in March is overrated when your starting quarterback has six career touchdown passes.

To be perfectly honest, though, the Chiefs should feel fortunate to sign anyone right now. Who can really blame Clark Hunt for spending a little more money on Arrowhead and a little less on free agents considering his football team has gone nowhere recently?

The Chiefs acquired a boatload of veterans in 2006 (Ty Law (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980141), Ron Edwards (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980119), James Reed (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980155), Michael Bennett (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3630508), Chris Terry, Kyle Turley, Lenny Walls) and almost as many in 2007 (Alfonso Boone (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3056010), Eddie Drummond (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3331572), Donnie Edwards (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3037544), Napoleon Harris (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2981092), Damion McIntosh (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3032089)). The result was 13 wins in 32 games. Does that seem like a wise investment to you?

Hunt might be better served to let his front office and coaching staff prove they can build a team through the draft before handing over money to big-time free agents. And in the meantime, Jared Allen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980078) is waiting to eat up some of that cap space. Now there’s money well spent.<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">
</td></tr><tr><td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td><td nowrap="nowrap" width="3">
</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="3">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

CoMoChief
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
The stadium has nothing to do with players salaries and the cap. The Hunts have all the money in the world, this is an article that pretty much is a nice way of saying the Hunts are cheap, which really isn't anything new.

Halfcan
03-17-2008, 08:41 PM
I feel bad for the Huntz- that is an aweful lot of money. Being an Owner must really suck.

mikey23545
03-17-2008, 08:55 PM
The stadium has nothing to do with players salaries and the cap. The Hunts have all the money in the world, this is an article that pretty much is a nice way of saying the Hunts are cheap, which really isn't anything new.
Yeah, when it's not your money the sky's the limit, huh dumbass?

CoMoChief
03-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah, when it's not your money the sky's the limit, huh dumbass?

Heh so are you saying the Hunts don't have the money? Because believe me they have more than you could imagine.

jidar
03-17-2008, 09:08 PM
it's always the poor people who can't understand why rich people don't throw their money around like it's nothing, I mean they have so much after all!

I guess attitudes like that are why they're poor people in the first place.

Brock
03-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Heh so are you saying the Hunts don't have the money? Because believe me they have more than you could imagine.

Whether they do or not, is that a reason to spend it on some half assed free agents when the team is in the first or second year of a rebuild?

Adept Havelock
03-17-2008, 09:11 PM

I don't know. I can imagine quite a bit.

Pretty good article, GOATSE.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't know. I really don't like the "tone" of these articles coming from the Star, KC Chiefs.com or WPI (not that I ever liked the WPI articles).

But basically, they're taking the stance that Free Agents = BAD and the NFL Draft = GOOD.

That's f*cking stupid.

Yes, the Chiefs have blown money in free agency and have had many bad free agent signings. But that doesn't mean that adding a free agent player, whether he's under 27 or over 27, is a BAD thing.

It all depends on who is in charge of the franchise and what goals have been set. Fluff pieces like this are nonsense.

And as to the Hunt Family's portion of the renovations: Get over it.

They'll make their portion back in the first five years, if not far sooner.

Hammock Parties
03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
It all depends on who is in charge of the franchise and what goals have been set.

It depends on the timing if you ask me. Now is not the time to add a 30-year old free agent. This team isn't close to getting over the hump.

In a few years, the time may be right for such a move.

Mecca
03-17-2008, 09:19 PM
The Chiefs are a bit cheap.......the only thing I will say that I'd argue with is that the Titans "dumped" Odom. I don't think they were going to be able to resign him for what he got big difference in that and dumping a guy.

Chiefnj2
03-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I'd rather have a good team and crappy stadium.

Mecca
03-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Also people are complaining about this approach because I don't think very many people actually trust the Chiefs to draft well.

milkman
03-17-2008, 09:25 PM
FTR, Hoyte wasn't a free agent.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2008, 09:25 PM
It depends on the timing if you ask me. Now is not the time to add a 30-year old free agent. This team isn't close to getting over the hump.

In a few years, the time may be right for such a move.

I think that sincerely depends on what 30 year-old free agent we're talking about.

A 30 year-old QB? That should be considered. A 30 year-old center? That should be considered as well.

It just all depends on the position and WHO we're talking about.

Hammock Parties
03-17-2008, 09:26 PM
FTR, Hoyte wasn't a free agent.

Good point.

CoMoChief
03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Whether they do or not, is that a reason to spend it on some half assed free agents when the team is in the first or second year of a rebuild?

Well we havent even sniffed at any FAs where we at positions its obvious we have HUGE gaps at (WR), and we have more gaps than we have draft picks.

Most of our picks come in the 2nd day. I would bet maybe we find a couple people out of the 7 picks that will actually attribute.

I don't think it's wise to really rely on 6th and 7th rd and UDFA players to build an identity and give this team some confidence with. At this rate we aren't even gonna be competitive enough to win half of our games for the next 3-4 years if we are just gonna bank on the draft.

As bad as DV's drafting was, Herm's isn't also that great either. And to put all your eggs into the draft can set back a team for years if they can't cash in.

We could have afforded Berrian. It wouldve been smart too. It gives Croyle another good decent target to throw to, he's a good deep threat as well. This whole teams future rests on the Oline. If they can't block, Croyle can't be even remotely productive, and sooner or later the coaching staff is gonna try and find a replacement for Croyle, this being also a few years from now, where we will all be in the same position unable to find a QB. By then Tony G is gone and there goes half of your passing game as bad as it already has been.

Brock
03-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Also people are complaining about this approach because I don't think very many people actually trust the Chiefs to draft well.

They're worse at picking free agents.

Hammock Parties
03-17-2008, 09:32 PM
We could have afforded Berrian.

$16 million bonus. Forget it. Not this offseason.

Brock
Well we havent even sniffed at any FAs where we at positions its obvious we have HUGE gaps at (WR), and we have more gaps than we have draft picks.

They did sign a free agent WR.

CoMoChief

Wow I beg the differ.

Brock
03-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Wow I beg the differ.

That's how I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Mecca
03-17-2008, 09:34 PM

Shh, don't use that kind of logic.

People around here aren't use to the Chiefs actually legit rebuilding so they are in shock. I don't think some can fathom the Chiefs accepting they are going to be bad for a few years.

Many fans are still in the "we are competing we need to win 8 games" type of mindset.

Rebuilding teams don't sign number 2 WR's who really aren't that good like Bernard Berrian to 40 million dollar contracts....

I'd tell you San Diego is the most talented team in the league, where did they find all that talent, it sure wasn't FA.

Mecca
03-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Wow I beg the differ.

List FA's this team has signed, there are a ton of horrid ones....people pick out the nice ones like Holmes but there are a huge collection of awful signings.

milkman
03-17-2008, 09:35 PM
They did sign a free agent WR.

And there it is.

When you suck at drafting, and you suck in free agency, the end result is inevitably suckage.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2008, 09:35 PM

Depends on whos running the draft. Is it Carl or is it Herm and Kuharich as some have speculated??

Iowanian
03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I guess the Chiefs will understand next season when fans choose to not waste their Available -entertainment-Salary Cap dollars at Arrowhead. I mean, it IS only 1 year into a rebuild and a stadium that won't be completed.

The truth is, after the draft, there will be veterans available, and in camp, veterans will be cut and the Chiefs will pick up plenty of scrubs before TC to fill in the holes.

Mecca
03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Depends on whos running the draft. Is it Carl or is it Herm and Kuharich as some have speculated??

We'll find out but with the depth and how this draft is going to break the Chiefs should easily pull multiple starters and contributors from this draft.

the Talking Can
03-17-2008, 09:37 PM
That's how I'm pretty sure I'm right.

ROFL

I'm switzerland, but that was funny

Deberg_1990
03-17-2008, 09:39 PM
We'll find out but with the depth and how this draft is going to break the Chiefs should easily pull multiple starters and contributors from this draft.

Perhaps. But honestly, a good draft is what?? 4 starters and maybe 5 at most??

Full blown rebuilds usually take 3 good strong drafts. Chiefs fans need to learn to be patient.

Mecca
03-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Perhaps. But honestly, a good draft is what?? 4 starters and maybe 5 at most??

Full blown rebuilds usually take 3 good strong drafts. Chiefs fans need to learn to be patient.

The part of this that I know is going to piss me off is half this board will go bonkers if they don't take a offensive lineman with 1 of the first 2 picks.....it's like they don't understand this entire team sucks not just that one spot.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2008, 09:41 PM
The part of this that I know is going to piss me off is half this board will go bonkers if they don't take a offensive lineman with 1 of the first 2 picks.....it's like they don't understand this entire team sucks not just that one spot.

Exactly. Thats what ive been saying over and over for the past 2 months now.

Mecca
03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Exactly. Thats what ive been saying over and over for the past 2 months now.

You mean like how in our little Chiefs Planet mock I didn't take a OL for the Chiefs in the first 2 picks and got several people bitching that I didn't pick right for it?

Yea it would totally suck to get Sedrick Ellis and Quentin Groves...

Deberg_1990
03-17-2008, 09:45 PM
You mean like how in our little Chiefs Planet mock I didn't take a OL for the Chiefs in the first 2 picks and got several people bitching that I didn't pick right for it?

Yea it would totally suck to get Sedrick Ellis and Quentin Groves...

Oh yea....i havent seen your mock yet..

Mecca
03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Oh yea....i havent seen your mock yet..

Just look at the stickied mock I got assigned the Chiefs picks...

Boon
03-17-2008, 09:49 PM
And there it is.

When you suck at drafting, and you suck in free agency, the end result is inevitably suckage.

Suck + Suck = Double Suck

Deberg_1990
03-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Just as a good example. The Browns have been rebuilding for several years now but they hit on 4 consecutive #1 picks in a row from 03-07. 5 if you count Faine.

Faine
Winslow
Edwards
Wimbley
Thomas

Rebuilds take time. Even if you do things right, you cant expect to rebuild every part of your team overnight. Rome wasnt built in a day.

BIG K
03-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Suck + Suck = Double Suck

Let the suckfest begin...

Chiefs=Champions
03-18-2008, 12:03 AM
As i understand it there is a collective Loan cap agreement amongst the teams. Apparently the players union, were not to happy when it happened, beacause it means that theres almost a caps cap(If that makes sense). So with the redevelopments of the stadium their loans and thus their free agency money would be affected. Although we may thin it is the highest cap in the league, with this in mind im sure it is much, much lower...

Micjones
03-18-2008, 12:04 AM

That's hardly a reason to demonize the process.
Maybe it's the decision makers that need to go?
:shrug:

kcxiv
03-18-2008, 01:10 AM
That's hardly a reason to demonize the process.
Maybe it's the decision makers that need to go?
:shrug:

about 15 years ago.

ChiefsCountry
03-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Hunt Family isnt as wealthy as lot of you make them out to be. Lamar's daddy was filthy rich but he was a man whore and had a few kids. His fortune was cut down quite bit into pieces - not to mention their little diamond thing. I would assume that most of Lamar's wealth is the Chiefs franchise itself and thats not really cash liquid like say a Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones. And think about it Lamar's fortune is now split 5 ways with his wife and the kids. Some of you dont think about alot of the things that go on with these families.

Baby Lee
03-18-2008, 05:15 AM
it's always the poor people who can't understand why rich people don't throw their money around like it's nothing, I mean they have so much after all!

I guess attitudes like that are why they're poor people in the first place.

I'm not saying that, in this go around, they've passed on someone who would have made them better in the long run.
But if this is gonna be a team that foregos picking up a bona fide asset simply because it's expensive and they have a stadium to renovate, well it's time to find a team that actually wants to win.
As profitable as the NFL is, the ONLY monetary consideration should be the salary cap.

Baby Lee
03-18-2008, 05:17 AM
Hunt Family isnt as wealthy as lot of you make them out to be. Lamar's daddy was filthy rich but he was a man whore and had a few kids. His fortune was cut down quite bit into pieces - not to mention their little diamond thing. I would assume that most of Lamar's wealth is the Chiefs franchise itself and thats not really cash liquid like say a Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones. And think about it Lamar's fortune is now split 5 ways with his wife and the kids. Some of you dont think about alot of the things that go on with these families.

Who f@cking cares? I don't watch the NFL to sympathize with the fiscal constraints of the owners. If they don't have the capital to play to win, sell the motherf@cker to someone who does.

alanm
03-18-2008, 06:46 AM
LEAGUE OWES $9 BILLION (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/17/league-owes-9-billion/)

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2008, 9:20 a.m.
The NFL, which has been without question the most popular professional sport in America, is nevertheless awash in debt.
According to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, the league had more than $9 billion in debt as of October 2007.
That’s an average of more than $281,000,000 per team.
The disclosure came in a letter from NFL outside counsel Gregg Levy in support of a decision by the league to reduce the per-team annual debt ceiling. The union has filed collusion charges regarding the move, alleging that the league essentially has limited the amount of money that will be available to pay bonuses and other lump sums to players. The Levy letter has been made public because it has been filed in connection with the collusion charges.
But the salary cap (and floor) are still in place. Regardless of how the money is paid out, every team is required to spend at least $100 million per year on players, with that number going up every year.
And the debt figure really is high, in our estimation. Major league baseball clubs owe a total of $3.1 billion, and NBA teams cap their debt at a total of $175 million per team. NHL teams can borrow up to one-half of the value of each franchise (so they can borrow like 500 bucks, right?)

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/17/league-owes-9-billion/

BigChiefFan
03-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Comparing a team owned by their fans ands a team with an actual owner is like comparing night and day. The Chiefs ownership is just cheap. The stadium has nothing to do with the salary cap.

DaneMcCloud
03-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Comparing a team owned by their fans ands a team with an actual owner is like comparing night and day. The Chiefs ownership is just cheap. The stadium has nothing to do with the salary cap.

This is untrue.

Concessions, parking and capacity all contribute to the amount of money a team can spend on signing bonuses and ultimately, the cap. That is the reason why cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Phoenix and Seattle all needed new stadiums to compete and why cities like Indianapolis need a new, much larger stadium to continue to compete.

It's also the reason the Bills have had issues and why they will be playing at least one game per season in Toronto beginning this upcoming season.

StcChief
03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
they've had a few good, alot of whiffs like most NFL teams. Hoping that tide has turned and the talent evaluators are better.