PDA

View Full Version : Hartwig signs with Steelers

chiefforlife
03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
With their offensive line in transition with the departure of Alan Faneca, the Pittsburgh Steelers found a new anchor to their line by reaching a two-year, $4 million deal with former Carolina Panthers center Justin Hartwig.

Included in the deal is a $975,000 signing bonus.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3300560

pretty cheap contract actually.

BigChiefFan
03-18-2008, 05:15 PM
That was an inexpensive signing.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, there go my Super Bowl hopes.... :)

chiefforlife
03-18-2008, 05:23 PM
He could have taken some pressure off the draft and only a 2 year contract, he would only be 32 at the end of it.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
It's retarded we didn't flip him a couple hundred thousand more and get that guy signed. He's the kind of veteran leadership this team of teenagers need.

Huffman83
03-18-2008, 05:45 PM
So the next player the Chiefs have "Visit"...everyone needs to keep their trap shut. Because a lot of people spent a lot time bitching about signing that "old man."

And it didn't even happen.

Has anyone chimed in on how not signing free agents is the smart thing to do yet?

Hays
03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I am kind of shocked that the chiefs didn't get this deal worked out. Maybe they did offer him a contract and he thought pittsburgh was a better option. Pitt must have had an offer on the table already and he just was seeing what else he could get.

Huffman83
03-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Honestly would you think that Pits was going to offer a whole lot of money? When was the last time you heard about Pits forking over a lot of money for a player they didn't draft?

Hartwig wanted to play on a team that was going to be competitive. Or should at least be a safer bet to be competitive this year.

Huffman83
03-18-2008, 06:15 PM
sorry guys!

I don't know how that happened!!!

KCChiefsMan
03-18-2008, 06:37 PM
get over it

Chiefaholic
03-18-2008, 07:28 PM
So the next player the Chiefs have "Visit"...everyone needs to keep their trap shut. Because a lot of people spent a lot time bitching about signing that "old man."

And it didn't even happen.

Has anyone chimed in on how not signing free agents is the smart thing to do yet?

I was all for the signing, but the "keeping your trap shut" comment is pretty damn stupid to put on a message board. What the hell else are we supposed to talk about reguarding the Chiefs in the offseason. There's only so many mock drafts befor you're beating a dead horse.

StcChief
03-18-2008, 07:41 PM
get over itok Herm, Carl, Clark we will
enjoy your brand spankin' new empty stadium.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 07:45 PM
I would have liked to have this guy, but I would bet he doesn't want to play here. So pull another out of the bucket of **** it.

kcxiv
03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Brodie "Road Kill" Croyle.

beach tribe
03-18-2008, 08:01 PM

Pray for him. "Road kill Croyle"? that's pretty good.

StcChief
03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
I would have liked to have this guy, but I would bet he doesn't want to play here. So pull another out of the bucket of **** it.

that's what I figured too. how soon can Carl go? not soon enough.

teedubya
03-18-2008, 08:22 PM

This is nice. Road Kill Croyle. Love it.

kcxiv
03-18-2008, 08:39 PM
This is nice. Road Kill Croyle. Love it.

lol, They arent even giving him a chance to succeed.

ChiefsCountry
03-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I want to see what Rudy, Stallings, and Taylor can do before we right this off. Those guys when they played didnt look all that bad last year, it was the retreads in Casey, Welbourn, and whoever the hell we had at right tackle.

KCChiefsMan
03-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Croyle is gonna go down harder than David Carr if he doesn't have any protection.

melbar
03-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Who has a better chance to compete? Chiefs or Steelers? Sign here Justin.

Thig Lyfe
03-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Dammit, Carl! :cuss:

Wilson8
03-19-2008, 12:03 AM
I took ESPN's list of free agent offensive linemen and removed anyone with over 10 years of experience and players that the Chiefs had on their roster in 2007 and this is what is left. Not a lot available...

Barry Sims OT Released 9 Raiders
Barry Stokes G UFA 8 Lions
Brett Romberg C UFA 4 Rams
Chris Liwienski G UFA 9 Dolphins
Cory Lekkerkerker OT Released 3 Dolphins
Dylan Gandy G RFA 3 Colts
Elton Brown G RFA 3 Cardinals
Evan Mathis G RFA 3 Panthers
Floyd Womack OT UFA 7 Seahawks
Fred Weary G UFA 6 Texans
Gene Mruczkowski C UFA 4 Dolphins
Geoff Hangartner C RFA 3 Panthers
Jason Brown C RFA 3 Ravens
Joe Berger G RFA 3 Cowboys
L.J. Shelton OT Released 9 Dolphins
Matt Katula C RFA 3 Ravens
Matt Lehr G UFA 7 Buccaneers
Max Starks OT UFA 4 Steelers
Mike Pucillo G UFA 6 Redskins
Mike Rosenthal OT UFA 9 Dolphins
Milford Brown G UFA 6 Rams
Nat Dorsey OT UFA 4 Browns
Oliver Ross OT Released 9 Cardinals
Rick DeMulling G UFA 7 Redskins
Ross Tucker G UFA 5 Redskins
Seth McKinney C UFA 6 Browns
Stephen Peterman G RFA 3 Lions
Stockar McDougle OT UFA 8 Jaguars
Tom Ashworth OT Released 7 Seahawks
Tyson Walter G UFA 6 Packers
Wade Smith C UFA 5 NY Jets
Shane Olivea OG Released 4 Chargers
Blaine Saipaia OG Released 4 Lions

Mecca
03-19-2008, 12:10 AM
I'd give guys like Evan Mathis and Elton Brown a look if they'd sign for the min...

Micjones
03-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Olivea would be on my radar at this point.

Would've been nice to have signed Hartwig as it could've made our draft situation less pressurized, but that's water under the bridge. I'm fairly excited about Niswanger stepping up and into a bigger role, but he played well at Guard and that's where I'd like to see him stay.

We still need a Center. And moving Waters over only creates two problems.

CupidStunt
03-19-2008, 01:56 AM
We're the Raiders. All we're good for is massively overpaying (which we won't do), or driving up the market price of a free agent.

Gonna be a longggggg few years, fellas.

milkman
03-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Olivea would be on my radar at this point.

Would've been nice to have signed Hartwig as it could've made our draft situation less pressurized, but that's water under the bridge. I'm fairly excited about Niswanger stepping up and into a bigger role, but he played well at Guard and that's where I'd like to see him stay.

We still need a Center. And moving Waters over only creates two problems.

I'm not sure why people would rather have Niswanger at guard than giving him a shot at center.

He was the SEC scholar athlete of the year his senior year.

I think that means he just might have the intelligence to handle making the line calls.

DaKCMan AP
03-19-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm not sure why people would rather have Niswanger at guard than giving him a shot at center.

He was the SEC scholar athlete of the year his senior year.

I think that means he just might have the intelligence to handle making the line calls.

He was the Draddy Trophy winner. The Draddy is equivalently the Academic Heisman. I always thought Niswanger should be given a shot at C.