PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV A&E's 'Andromeda Strain' miniseries

keg in kc
03-18-2008, 05:44 PM
As far as remakes go, this doesn't look too bad.

No idea when it airs.

http://www.aetv.com/the-andromeda-strain/

Adept Havelock
03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I loved the book and 70's movie, but like the film they've played around with the Wildfire team.

Might be good...I'll give it a watch when it airs. Hopefully they stick to the source material.

keg in kc
03-18-2008, 06:05 PM
I like that we're starting to see more novels and (book) series being done as miniseries or even full-blown series rather than stand-alone movies. You can do so much more with 4 or 6 hours than you can with 2.

For instance, I'm still holding out hope for HBO doing George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire with a full season dedicated to each novel. Although I haven't heard a word on any progress since the writers' strike.

Either way, this looks like it could be okay. Seems like a pretty good cast.

pikesome
03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
It's got Benjamin Bratt, I'm going to have to assume it sucks until presented with evidence to the contrary.

pikesome
03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
For instance, I'm still holding out hope for HBO doing George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire with a full season dedicated to each novel. Although I haven't heard a word on any progress since the writers' strike.

WTF!!!!!!

Details man, details!

Deberg_1990
It's got Benjamin Bratt, I'm going to have to assume it sucks until presented with evidence to the contrary.

and Rick Schoeder!!!

Bowser
So Crichton wrote this, too? Or did he just write the story for the show?

LMAO

My wife will hunt and kill you.

pikesome
03-18-2008, 06:10 PM
So Crichton wrote this, too? Or did he just write the story for the show?

LMAO

My wife will hunt and kill you.

It was his first? novel. He wrote it in the 70's I believe.

Tell her to bring it on! :D

pikesome
03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
1969, it was his 5th book.

keg in kc
03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
WTF!!!!!!

Details man, details!HBO optioned it about a year ago. I'm not sure if I can find the original story or not.

I heard a podcast a week or so ago where Martin said he didn't even know where it was at this point in time.

keg in kc
03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
This seems to be the latest I can find:HBO and 'A Song of Ice and Fire': It May Still Happen (http://theaccidentalbard.com/archives/2008/03/hbo-and-a-song-of-ice-and-fire.php)

Posted on 3 March 2008 by James Cormier at 10:53 PM

For those of you wondering about the rumored HBO production of George R. R. Martin's epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire, The Wertzone has a useful round-up of the official facts to date:

The deal for HBO to option the television rights to A Song of Ice and Fire was ongoing in 2006 and concluded in January 2007, when GRRM announced the news on his website. Subsequent blog entries confirmed that the writing of the pilot script had commenced. Prior to the start of the Writer's Guild of America Strike in November 2007, writer-producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss had completed a pilot script which GRRM had signed off on. This script had been passed to HBO, who were considering it and running budget estimates for the series at the time that the strike began. As with all Hollywood television projects, work on the adaption was suspended until the strike concluded in mid-February 2008.

Essentially, since HBO's option has yet to expire and the writers' strike has concluded, there is still a very real possibility of it happening. Wertzone goes on to describe the proposed scope of the project:

No final decision has been made but the tentative plan is for HBO to adapt A Song of Ice and Fire as a series of 13-episode television seasons (potentially seven seasons in length, one for each novel). Whilst the project would be high-budget, it would not be as expensive as HBO's previous major costume drama, Rome, and would probably be filmed in Eastern Europe or perhaps New Zealand due to the lowered production costs.

As always, take anything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt: although Werzone seems to have based their information primarily on official sources, nothing is official until you hear it from either GRRM or HBO.

Frazod
03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Looks interesting; quite an expansion on the original, which I like alot. I'll definitely give it a look.

listopencil
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey. WTF? Rick Shroeder is going back to being known as Ricky Shroeder. That's it. I've lost all respect for him as an actor. I'm boycotting the show.

ChiefaRoo
03-18-2008, 10:54 PM
A shot of penicillian will clear that andromeda right up.

Barret
03-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Robitussin will clear that Andromeda right up. Let that 'Tussin get in there....and if you run out of it, put some water in the jar, shake it up, more Tussin!!!

Sorry felt like stealing from Chris Rock....

Lzen
05-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Anyone watching this?

keg in kc
05-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I haven't. Been too busy with work, and the reviews did not look promising.

|Zach|
05-27-2008, 08:20 PM
I saw the first part and have the second part on DVR right now. Really enjoying it so far.

Rausch
05-27-2008, 08:22 PM
So far I really like it.

Did a good job of casting. Secondary actors that are still good actors.

Not bad CGI for a made4TV either...

Frazod
05-27-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm recording a 4 hour block, so I assume that's a combination of both parts.

05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Last nights ep was pretty good. Waiting until midnight to see part 2.

Frazod
05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Been watching it since 10:00, so I'm almost through Part I. Seems pretty good - they took the original, which was solid but lacked any villain-drive drama, and threw in some Outbreak evile military conspiracy crap, with Andre Braugher as Donald Sutherland and Benjamin Bratt as Dustin Hoffman.

I doubt if I watch it all tonight, but I'm definitely enjoying it.

Sure-Oz
05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
I am dvring the whole thing tonight, ricky schroeder baby

Frazod
05-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Man, I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. to watch the end of this silly sonofabitch?

Lame. The basic premise played out like a bad episode of Star Trek Voyager.

Stick with the original.

:shake:

05-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Yeah, the second part was not near as good.

keg in kc
05-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Now I don't feel so bad about missing it.

Silock
05-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Not as good as the book and not as good as the original movie.

Lame.

05-28-2008, 03:47 AM
You know, it drives me nuts that they can call a two night movie a "mini-series". When I think mini-series, I think Roots, The North and the South or V. Something that lasts several nights. What's with two night movies getting the distinction now?

Lzen
05-28-2008, 07:43 AM
The ending sure was lame and predictable. Something that has been done many times. :( I really don't remember the original movie as I was probably pretty young at the time, but this was not as good as they made it out to be.

Frazod
05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
I watched the original movie a few months ago - it's one of those movies that I'll watch whenever it's on. It still stands up very well after nearly 40 years. And it is far superior to this turd of a remake. :grr:

Mr. Plow
05-28-2008, 08:12 AM
So there was more than one part to it? Damn. I only DVR'd the first part then.

headsnap
05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I watched the original movie a few months ago - it's one of those movies that I'll watch whenever it's on. It still stands up very well after nearly 40 years. And it is far superior to this turd of a remake. :grr:
I have the remake on the TiVo and was planning on watching it tonight but now I might pass and just stick in the original. The original is one of my all time favs, I have watched that more than any other movie... yes, more than Smokey and the Bandit and even Airplane!!!

Silock
05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
So there was more than one part to it? Damn. I only DVR'd the first part then.

Don't waste your time.