PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Refusing to Take Field and may not Travel to Japan Season Opener

stlchiefs
03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7930472?MSNHPHMA

Game is delayed and being talked about live on ESPN right now.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Wow. Interesting move.

stlchiefs
03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
The Boston Red Sox have threatened to boycott their season-opening games in Japan unless their coaches and other staff are paid for making the trip.

Third baseman Mike Lowell told The Boston Globe the team voted unanimously not to play its final spring training game or to board the plane to Japan later Wednesday.

Manager Terry Francona and his players were upset after learning staff members are not going to get a $40,000 stipend. The Boston Herald reported players insisted part of their agreement to make the trip included the fee — for them and the coaches.

"I did not have an off day yesterday. I had the phone glued to my ear because I was promised some answers and I haven't even received a phone call," Francona said Wednesday. "So I'm a little bit stuck. What I want to do this morning is get excited to play a baseball game and what I ended up doing is apologizing to the coaches and being humiliated."

The Red Sox clubhouse was closed to reporters because of the dispute and the team had not taken the field for batting practice before its last scheduled spring training game in Florida.

Pitcher Curt Schilling told The Associated Press he was not sure the game against Toronto would be played, but refused to comment on the team meeting or the boycott vote.

The World Series champions are scheduled to begin their season against Oakland with two games in Tokyo.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Basically, all the players from both teams are being paid $40,000 in appearance fees for going to Japan. Now MLB is saying the coaches won't get it. Originally, apparently they said coaches would be paid. Now the Red Sox players are saying, "We're not playing today, and we're not going to Japan unless the coaches are paid the appearance fee."

stlchiefs
03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
40k is a lot of money, but I applaud the players for sticking up for others besides for themselves.

The player's believe the agreement included the support staff being paid a stipend for their 20 days overseas, MLB is saying this was not part of the agreement. I can't believe MLB is messing around with this, pay the money and avoid this slap in the face of ruining your overseas opener.

stlchiefs
03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Basically, all the players from both teams are being paid $40,000 in appearance fees for going to Japan. Now MLB is saying the coaches won't get it. Originally, apparently they said coaches would be paid. Now the Red Sox players are saying, "We're not playing today, and we're not going to Japan unless the coaches are paid the appearance fee."

Coaches and support staff as I understand it.

stlchiefs
03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Some fans at the game were chanting "let's play ball".

Now staff members are throwing out Red Sox t-shirts to the crowd trying to keep them content and quiet.

lightsout04
03-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Good for the players. I am glad they are sticking up for the other staff members.

RockChalk
03-19-2008, 10:40 AM
you know what though, what's being overlooked is that these frickin players are making what, at worst $200k per year? and they are getting paid an extra $40,000 to travel to Tokyo for a week.

don't get me wrong, I like that they are sticking up for their coaches, but do any of them really need this money?

chiefqueen
03-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Of course $40,000 one day could be $20,000 the next the way is dollar is falling.

BigChiefFan
03-19-2008, 10:42 AM
$40,000 for EACH coach and staff member? They can boycott-I'd tell them they forfeit the game if they don't play. Red Sox start off season 0-2.

stlchiefs
03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
you know what though, what's being overlooked is that these frickin players are making what, at worst $200k per year? and they are getting paid an extra $40,000 to travel to Tokyo for a week.

don't get me wrong, I like that they are sticking up for their coaches, but do any of them really need this money?

I think we could all agree that all professional athletes are overpaid, but the major issue is that the player's feel this was a term of their agreement in going to Japan and that MLB is now not holding up to its side of the deal. The players are sticking to what they feel the terms were.

The announcers on ESPN did say that assistant coaches and support staff make around $80k a year in MLB.

stlchiefs
03-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Red Sox just took the field and are warming up. No word on any agreement yet.

BigChiefFan
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I think we could all agree that all professional athletes are overpaid, but the major issue is that the player's feel this was a term of their agreement in going to Japan and that MLB is now not holding up to its side of the deal. The players are sticking to what they feel the terms were.

The announcers on ESPN did say that assistant coaches and support staff make around $80k a year in MLB.
So they'll get HALF of a YEAR'S SALARY for going to two games? They really should boycott.:rolleyes:

RockChalk
03-19-2008, 10:52 AM

I'm just trying to figure out how they came up with $40k as the number in the first place...seems a bit excessive

Amnorix
03-19-2008, 10:53 AM
$40,000 for EACH coach and staff member? They can boycott-I'd tell them they forfeit the game if they don't play. Red Sox start off season 0-2.

First, I doubt MLB could allow this to happen.

Second, I'd be glad to give up two games for the team-building, us-against-the-world mentality it would create. :D

Amnorix
03-19-2008, 10:54 AM

The other thing I read (Schilling I think) was that MLB made many promises, and many less significant ones have been shelved. The players are annoyed, but on this one they're taking a firm "line in the sand" stand.

BigChiefFan
03-19-2008, 10:57 AM
First, I doubt MLB could allow this to happen.

Second, I'd be glad to give up two games for the team-building, us-against-the-world mentality it would create. :D
Us against the world? Sure, you bet, the Red Sox are truly the underdog.:rolleyes:

If they don't take the field, they forfeit, plain and simple.

Amnorix
03-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Us against the world? Sure, you bet, the Red Sox are truly the underdog.:rolleyes:

Psychology, not reality is what matters.

Forfeit 2 games, not the season.

BigChiefFan
03-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Psychology, not reality is what matters.

Forfeit 2 games, not the season.So because some of the staff didn't get paid big bucks, the Red Sox are going to go postal on other teams? LMAO. They are being greedy, but some want to make this out to be a feel good story for the Sox.

Amnorix
03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
So because some of the staff didn't get paid big bucks, the Red Sox are going to go postal on other teams? LMAO. They are being greedy, but some want to make this out to be a feel good story for the Sox.

Psychology, not reality, is what matters.

Actually, it doesn't matter anymore -- Red Sox are playing the last preseason game and apparently the whole thing is resolved. Nobody has said MLB caved, but I'm assuming they did since the boycott only lasted about an hour.

And you sayt he Red Sox are being greedy, but the players stuck up for the coaches, not themselves, and you have no idea what MLB promised them -- or do you think it's ok for one side to break faith on its agreements?

BigChiefFan
03-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Psychology, not reality, is what matters.

Actually, it doesn't matter anymore -- Red Sox are playing the last preseason game and apparently the whole thing is resolved. Nobody has said MLB caved, but I'm assuming they did since the boycott only lasted about an hour.

And you sayt he Red Sox are being greedy, but the players stuck up for the coaches, not themselves, and you have no idea what MLB promised them -- or do you think it's ok for one side to break faith on its agreements?

Hello. The COACHES and STAFF ARE still RED SOX, are they not? I would have sworn coach TF wears a RED SOX UNIFORM.
BTW, unless you have ample evidence suggesting MLB broke a promise-it's just here say and I'm sure you will favor in the Sox favor rather than MLB, hence the "you have no idea what MLB promised them" comment . If I have no idea what was promised, than that means neither do you.

vailpass
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Nice to see the players backing up their coaches and staff. This isn't a money thing it seems more like a matter of respect and of expecting MLB to honor the terms of the agreement.

Traveling all the way to Japan, adjusting to the time change, playing a game, then coming back to the states and having to readjust is demanding. This isn't a pleasure cruise it is a business trip and like all biz travel you don't want to do it if you aren't getting paid.

Amnorix
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Hello. The COACHES and STAFF ARE still RED SOX, are they not? I would have sworn coach TF wears a RED SOX UNIFORM.
BTW, unless you have ample evidence suggesting MLB broke a promise-it's just here say and I'm sure you will favor in the Sox favor rather than MLB, hence the "you have no idea what MLB promised them" comment . If I have no idea what was promised, than that means neither do you.

Yes, but you're automatically shouting greed. I never said who was right or wrong, really. I mainly focused on being happy that they stuck together.

markk
03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
$40000 is a lot of money... the players would not notice missing the $40k from their salaries but they are standing up for coaches who were lied to and who it would make a big difference to. if you are manny ramirez and make 15 million it doesnt matter but if you only make 200k its a big difference. it would be like if you make around 40k, your boss telling you that you were going to get a $10,000 bonus and then not giving it to you. you would be mad. make the MLB follow through on their promises.

StcChief
03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
pay the coaches or play without them

eazyb81
03-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Good God - how f'n greedy can you be.

Oh boo hoo, only the players are getting paid an EXTRA 40,000 for just playing games in Japan - let's ignore the insanity of having to pay players extra money just to play a game in another country.

But now they are refusing to play unless the coaches get that money too? Are you kidding me?! If it's that big of a deal to them, why doesn't each player take a few thousand of what they're getting and put it in a pot to give to the coaches? Unbelievable, and some of you are actually approving of this.

I never thought it would happen, but I am definitely starting to hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees.

R&GHomer
03-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't have a problem with this at all. 80k is an ok living I guess, but if MLB promised the coaches and staff an additional 40k that's a big deal. Period... I don't see it as the players being greedy at all. That's a nice F'N bonus. I would be stupid pissed off if that had been promised to me and then I didn't get it.

jidar
03-19-2008, 02:01 PM
If that was the promise they should pay it, period.

vailpass
03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Good God - how f'n greedy can you be.

Oh boo hoo, only the players are getting paid an EXTRA 40,000 for just playing games in Japan - let's ignore the insanity of having to pay players extra money just to play a game in another country.

But now they are refusing to play unless the coaches get that money too? Are you kidding me?! If it's that big of a deal to them, why doesn't each player take a few thousand of what they're getting and put it in a pot to give to the coaches? Unbelievable, and some of you are actually approving of this.

I never thought it would happen, but I am definitely starting to hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees.

If someone tries to **** you out of $ they contractually owe you do you just say "o.k., no problem, I already have enough money"?

eazyb81
03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
If someone tries to **** you out of $ they contractually owe you do you just say "o.k., no problem, I already have enough money"?

MLB doesn't contractually owe them sh#t. If anything was on a contract then there wouldn't even be a discussion.

This was something extra that the Red Sox thought was implied, and they are going to try and call MLB's bluff, which apparently has worked.

vailpass
03-19-2008, 02:11 PM
MLB doesn't contractually owe them sh#t. If anything was on a contract then there wouldn't even be a discussion.

This was something extra that the Red Sox thought was implied, and they are going to try and call MLB's bluff, which apparently has worked.

So there was never an agreement to pay the coaches and staff, verbal or written? I must have misunderstood, sorry.

But why would anyone agree to go on a business trip without getting paid for the travel?

eazyb81
03-19-2008, 02:14 PM
So there was never an agreement to pay the coaches and staff, verbal or written? I must have misunderstood, sorry.

But why would anyone agree to go on a business trip without getting paid for the travel?

You think the coaches were paying for this trip out of their own pocket if they didn't get this money? This was EXTRA money, basically a bonus, for going to Japan to play a few games.

Braincase
03-19-2008, 02:19 PM
To cover additional expenses, batboys and players' wives will be pimped out to geisha houses.

stlchiefs
03-19-2008, 02:22 PM

That is what the disagreement is about: whether there was such and agreement (verbal or written). The Red Sox players said there was, MLB says there was not, thus a comprise was needed.

It's not about how much money someone has, but that one side thought that contractually they were do money, that the other side didn't. I don't think many people would just walk away from 40k they felt they were contractually owed, but then again others have more money than me.

vailpass
03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
You think the coaches were paying for this trip out of their own pocket if they didn't get this money? This was EXTRA money, basically a bonus, for going to Japan to play a few games.

Yep, and if a client asked me to do extra work I expect extra compensation. I realize as an independent I am a little different than an employee but I have to think guys at the level of MLB Manager can expect some executive comp.
You think international biz travel is fun?

kcxiv
03-19-2008, 02:28 PM

I know its over and resolved, but giving up 2 games is NOTHING for the Red Sox. They are going to be 1-2 in the division and will be heading to the play offs again. No big deal if they were docked 2 games.

vailpass
03-19-2008, 02:30 PM
I know its over and resolved, but giving up 2 games is NOTHING for the Red Sox. They are going to be 1-2 in the division and will be heading to the play offs again. No big deal if they were docked 2 games.

resolved how?

kcxiv
03-19-2008, 02:37 PM
resolved how?
Front page on espn. Says its resolved. Didnt even ready the story yet, but thats the headline.

vailpass
03-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Front page on espn. Says its resolved. Didnt even ready the story yet, but thats the headline.

Thanks. Looks like they settled for some cash for all the coaches though it sounds like it is a little less than $40k.

Why would the organization/MLB nickel-and-dime over a lousy half million or so? They pissed away 30x that for that cracked up Mitchell report.

KCChiefsMan
03-19-2008, 03:24 PM
it is kind of BS that they have to go around the world for a game, unless they signed up for it.

unlurking
03-19-2008, 03:50 PM
it is kind of BS that they have to go around the world for a game, unless they signed up for it.

They did sign up for it, based on that extra 40k for 3 weeks in a foreign country. I'm glad they got what they were owed.

Amnorix
03-20-2008, 05:59 AM
What a cluster-****. Looks like it was the damn PLAYER'S ASSOCIATION that scrweed up. From today's "timeline". The full report is linked below also if you care:

2:05 p.m. - The Globe's Nick Cafardo posts a blog entry saying that sources have told him the Players' Association, not MLB, was responsible for removing the coaches from the players' revenue pool, and failed to notify Sox players.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/20/it_was_a_time_for_team_unity/?page=2

Amnorix
03-20-2008, 06:00 AM
Different article:

When the Sox players agreed to make the trip to Japan, the Players' Association negotiated a payment of $40,000 to each player. However, the payments to the manager, coaches, and support staff were not included in the written agreement. An MLB source blamed the Players' Association, which does not recognize coaches, except for pensions. The union said it was merely something that fell through the cracks - something that was said during negotiations but not put into writing.

"It wasn't so much the money, it was the fact that these things were promised and then reneged," said Sox third baseman Mike Lowell, who didn't assess blame.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/20/sox_players_go_to_bat_for_coaches/