PDA

View Full Version : Three turds busted for posting fast food scam on YouTube

KUCFChiefs
03-19-2008, 02:29 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mgJzEmOioho&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mgJzEmOioho&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

http://acorn.rgj.com/blogs/poweron/2008/03/three-arrested-in-youtube-del-taco-scam.html

NO SUCH THING AS A FREE TACO: Calling your local Del Taco while pretending to be a CEO whose order was botched may get you seven tacos, large fries, two sodas and two quesadillas with extra chicken. But for three California men who successfully pulled off the scam and posted video of their escapade online, it can also lead to a potential seven-year prison term.

Authorities arrested three men in relation to the YouTube video (featured above) titled "How To Scam Del Taco." Robert Echeverria and 18-year-old buddies Ian Anthony Roman and Brian Fawcett recently posted the "tutorial" online, scoring $15 worth of free food but also providing the very evidence authorities are now using against them. (Doh!)

According to the Press-Enterprise, the three have been charged for carrying out the scam to benefit a street gang. Echeverria's girlfriend, meanwhile, contends the charges are excessive and that police are making an example out of the aspiring rap artist, who also released a previous video cursing Rialto police and questioning the death of an officer last year. Authorities deny that the previous video had anything to do with the current charges. The prosecutor, meanwhile, described the Del Taco video as historic.

"I've been a prosecutor for 17 years and I've never seen a self-contained confession video by a defendant," said San Bernardino County Deputy DA Sully Moore.

Well, at least they got extra chicken. JASON HIDALGO

Would you like an attorney with that?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2008/03/325.html

It looks like a silly prank intended to get laughs and attention on YouTube. Well, not only has “How to Scam Del Taco” gotten attention, but the video has also landed its star, a 32-year-old aspiring rapper from Rialto, in jail.

The Riverside Press-Enterprise reports that Robert Echeverria and two teenagers were arrested after authorities viewed the YouTube video of the trio tricking the crew of a Del Taco drive-through into giving them seven tacos, a large order of fries, two sodas and two quesadillas with extra chicken.

Unlike in some online videos that have shown fast-food workers being attacked, no one gets hurt in Echeverria's production. But prosecutors said the seven-minute clip provided the evidence they needed to press felony commercial burglary charges against Echeverria, who they claim has gang ties, and his accomplices. The two teen boys have posted bail, but Echeverria was unable to come up with enough money and has remained in jail. He was scheduled to appear in court today.

"We were fooling around," Ian Anthony Roman, who shot the video, told the Press-Enterprise. "We never intended it to be anything criminal. It was ridiculously blown out of proportion."

Micjones
03-19-2008, 02:33 PM
A 7-year bid behind this?
That's absurd.

vailpass
03-19-2008, 02:37 PM
A 32 year old 'aspiring rapper" and DelTaco scam artist?
Winner.
Wonder how much of our tax dollars are going to support him and the children he has spread around the hood?

chasedude
03-19-2008, 02:50 PM
A 7-year bid behind this?
That's absurd.

30-40k a year to house an inmate for 7 years on a $15 bill from Del Taco. Yeah something doesn't fit :shake:

kepp
03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Wonder how much of our tax dollars are going to support him and the children he has spread around the hood?

30-40k a year to house an inmate for 7 years on a $15 bill from Del Taco. Yeah something doesn't fit

It's a lose/lose

Bwana
03-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Classic, I wonder if he will be able to scam a few free packs of soap on a rope when he's in the joint.

vailpass
03-19-2008, 02:59 PM
It's a lose/lose

Excellent point.

That is why sometimes the statement: "fatally shot while trying to escape" is not neccesarily a bad thing.

Dartgod
03-19-2008, 03:03 PM
30-40k a year to house an inmate for 7 years on a $15 bill from Del Taco. Yeah something doesn't fit :shake:
Maybe this does....

But prosecutors said the seven-minute clip provided the evidence they needed to press felony commercial burglary charges against Echeverria, who they claim has gang ties...

The Franchise
03-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Mexican dudes eat at Del-Taco? I'm white and I don't eat that crap.

KCChiefsMan
03-19-2008, 03:08 PM
nicklendime productions! that's how we do it yo!

lol, what a bunch of idiots. I do remember watching some TV show on comedy central a while back that was called "Con" or something like that and it showed that guy digging through a McDonald's trash can for a receipt and going up to the drive through and getting a free burger. So why wasn't he arrested?

88TG88
03-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Mexican dudes eat at Del-Taco? I'm white and I don't eat that crap.

If its free, I'll eat almost anything.

The Franchise
03-19-2008, 03:14 PM

Raiduhs

StcChief
03-19-2008, 04:00 PM

head down to SandyEggo and see Cro he's got something that you make you change your mind

ClevelandBronco
03-19-2008, 04:12 PM
A 32 year old 'aspiring rapper"...

I just added "aspiring rapper" to my resumé. It carries more cred than "self-employed."

unlurking
03-19-2008, 04:14 PM
So, does this jail sentence count as actual street-cred?

Deberg_1990
03-19-2008, 04:23 PM
"We never intended it to be anything criminal."

You didnt?? So stealing food from a business is what then????

Nzoner
03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
$200 says they're Raider fans,no one else could be that focking stupid.

Rain Man
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I just added "aspiring rapper" to my resumé. It carries more cred than "self-employed."

Cle Bro?

beavis
03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
By the looks of him, free tacos are the last thing that fat bastard needs.

ClevelandBronco
03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Cle Bro?

I like it. You want to be an "aspiring rapper's" "aspiring manager?"

Bill S Preston
03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Rialto, just another craphole city in San Bernadino County.

Iowanian
03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
What kind of worthless dumb**** has to steal $7 worth of tacos?

They should stake the fast bastard in the desert with 5 gallons of water until he can fit into a 30" waist pants as punishment.