PDA

View Full Version : Kimbo headlining first EliteXC on CBS broadcast, 5/31/08

keg in kc
03-20-2008, 02:25 PM
THE FIRST "CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS" TO BE BROADCAST LIVE ON SATURDAY, MAY 31 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK (http://elitexc.proelite.com/blog/102578)

EliteXC Heavyweight Sensation, Kimbo Slice, Will Headline an Exciting Night of Mixed Martial Arts

Middleweight Champion "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler will Defend His Title Against Scott "Hands of Steel" Smith

LOS ANGELES, March 20 — CBS and ProElite, Inc. today announced that the first live primetime mixed martial arts event will be broadcast Saturday, May 31 (9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS will be broadcast live from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

"We're excited to introduce broadcast television viewers to America's fastest growing sport with this prime time event," said Kelly Kahl, Senior Executive Vice President, CBS Primetime. "EliteXC is putting together a lineup card that showcases the unique personalities, world-class athleticism, and raw power and emotion that characterizes mixed martial arts."

Champion "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler will put his title on the line against Scott "Hands of Steel" Smith in a middleweight championship bout. EliteXC heavyweight phenom, Kimbo Slice, will also participate in the May 31 event along with other stars from mixed martial arts. Additional matchups will be announced at a later date.

"I am very happy for the highly trained fighters, who will finally get the kind of exposure they deserve, and, of course, the viewers, who will get the opportunity to learn that MMA is truly a sport that requires an abundance of skills, both mentally and physically," said Gary Shaw, EliteXC Live Events President.

CBS and ProElite, Inc., a Los Angeles-based leading entertainment and media company that produces world class mixed martial arts (MMA) events, announced last month they were teaming up to bring MMA to a major broadcast television network for the first time. CBS will broadcast four MMA events per year, produced by ProElite's EliteXC fight division, as two-hour live primetime specials.

Mixed martial arts is a sport evolved from a number of ancient combat disciplines including judo, jiu-jitsu, karate, wrestling and kickboxing. World-class athletes engage in hand-to-hand combat in a ring — both caged and traditional — and must adapt their fighting style to fit their opponent. The wide variety of styles and techniques make every event an unpredictable spectacle.

CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS will be produced by SHOWTIME Sports. The executive producer is David Dinkins, Jr. with Bob Dunphy directing.

For additional information visit www.proelite.com

raybec 4
03-20-2008, 03:09 PM
The Lawler/Smith fight is going to be a war! Those two will probably go toe to toe until somebody drops.

Bwana
03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
It's about time.

raybec 4
03-20-2008, 03:31 PM
I wonder what tomato can they plan to prop up in front of Kimbo?

BigChiefFan
03-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Let's how tough Kimbo is. Good stuff-I'll be tuning in.

raybec 4
03-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Let's how tough Kimbo is. Good stuff-I'll be tuning in.

Kimbo is real tough, he just isn't ready for the higher level of competition yet. If he keeps training with Bas Rutten he will get there.

El Jefe
03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Kimbo is real tough, he just isn't ready for the higher level of competition yet. If he keeps training with Bas Rutten he will get there.

QFT. I wish they would put him up against someone who is more than just a human punching bag, and actually put him up against a good MMA Fighter. I think he would get owned by some of the UFC Heavyweights.

Sanka
03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Kimbo's fight better last longer than the one with Abbott.

raybec 4
03-20-2008, 03:59 PM
QFT. I wish they would put him up against someone who is more than just a human punching bag, and actually put him up against a good MMA Fighter. I think he would get owned by some of the UFC Heavyweights.

He wouldn't make it out of the first round with someone like Noguera or Mir even. EliteXC isn't going to put him in a position to lose yet. He is the biggest draw they have.

ArrowheadHawk
03-20-2008, 04:34 PM
How did they get a deal with CBS?

UFC needs to get themselves a deal with ABC, NBC or FOX. I don't have the time or energy to follow more than one organization. It would be like watching both the CFL and NFL.

keg in kc
03-20-2008, 04:43 PM
How did they get a deal with CBS?As far as I know, the details of the deal aren't yet public. But the rumor seems to be that EliteXC is actually buying the airtime from CBS. Which means it's probably not a very good deal. UFC had been in talks with CBS over the writers strike, but weren't getting the kind of deal they wanted so nothing was ever signed.

If it's a hit (which I think is less than 50/50 - the MMA audience is not 'big' in network terms, and this isn't the UFC, the most recognizable name to people who aren't already into the sport...), it's good for MMA. If it busts, it might hurt everybody, including the UFC, especially when it comes to trying to get prime-time coverage anytime in the future. as well as forming a base of mainstream interest and credibility.

Be interesting to see how it turns out. I hope it works out, but I don't have a good feeling.

Halfcan
03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
UFC seems too watered down lately-I guy can go for the Championship with only 5 to 10 wins. Most fights have been sooooo boring I fast forward through them.

ArrowheadHawk
03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
UFC seems too watered down lately-I guy can go for the Championship with only 5 to 10 wins. Most fights have been sooooo boring I fast forward through them.Did you see the last fight night? That was the most exciting UFC event I have ever seen. Plus there have been other good fights. I just hope the UFC can get it's shit together, and not let this elitexc crap cut into its market.

Halfcan
03-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Did you see the last fight night? That was the most exciting UFC event I have ever seen. Plus there have been other good fights. I just hope the UFC can get it's shit together, and not let this elitexc crap cut into its market.

no missed it-I only get to see whats on DVD.

I think UFC is suffering from what happened to Boxing-Mega Hype for fights that just don't pan out.

they will bounce back though

KcMizzou
03-20-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm excited about this, if for no other reason than the fact that it's more free MMA on TV. HDNet fights, WEC on Versus, UFC on Spike, and now EliteXC on CBS.

I can see how, if this fails, it could be seen as a setback for MMA in general. But EliteXC is sort of a minor league. I think the extra exposure out weighs the risk. Assuming of course that they put on a quality show.

I wish it had been the WEC, honestly. They have some quality fighters. Of course they're also owned by ZUFFA, so that's not happening.

KcMizzou
03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Question for the guys who know more about MMA than myself. Why is Faber not in the UFC? I tend to root against him because he's a pretty boy and he's so damned good. As dominant as he seems to be, it'd be nice to see him against tougher competition.

Does he just have to fight through the rest of a contract or something?

raybec 4
03-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Question for the guys who know more about MMA than myself. Why is Faber not in the UFC? I tend to root against him because he's a pretty boy and he's so damned good. As dominant as he seems to be, it'd be nice to see him against tougher competition.

Does he just have to fight through the rest of a contract or something?

He fights at 145 and the UFC doesn't have that weight class. He is a HUGE fish in a little pond in the WEC, I'm not sure he wants to step up to the UFC right now. He will have to eventually but the 155lb class in the UFC is LOADED with great talent. Dana white has talked about adding a 145lb class and that would be his cue to step up his level of competition. As always a lot of this is JMO.

KcMizzou
03-20-2008, 08:44 PM
He fights at 145 and the UFC doesn't have that weight class. He is a HUGE fish in a little pond in the WEC, I'm not sure he wants to step up to the UFC right now. He will have to eventually but the 155lb class in the UFC is LOADED with great talent. Dana white has talked about adding a 145lb class and that would be his cue to step up his level of competition. As always a lot of this is JMO.Ah, ok. That explains it. Thank you.

He's an animal. And he's like 28... and looks like a kid. Rare for a guy who makes his living fighting.

raybec 4
03-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Ah, ok. That explains it. Thank you.

He's an animal. And he's like 28... and looks like a kid. Rare for a guy who makes his living fighting.

He is totally amazing, his one and only loss came at the hands of Jens Pulver, whom he is fighting later this year. If he beats Lil' Evil (And I think he will) there is truly no one left for him to fight in the WEC. He would need to make a decision at that point.

KcMizzou
03-20-2008, 09:15 PM
He is totally amazing, his one and only loss came at the hands of Jens Pulver, whom he is fighting later this year. If he beats Lil' Evil (And I think he will) there is truly no one left for him to fight in the WEC. He would need to make a decision at that point.Is that fight on the next WEC? March 24(ish)?

raybec 4
03-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Is that fight on the next WEC? March 24(ish)?

I don't think so, I think it's scheduled for June IIRC

raybec 4
03-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Is that fight on the next WEC? March 24(ish)?

If you are a WEC fan though, Doug Marshall is fighting Brian Stann in March. That should be a really good battle of 205 pounders.

KcMizzou
03-20-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't think so, I think it's scheduled for June IIRCAh, ok. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. That's about as good as you get in the WEC.

The WEC does have some great fights though. I've been impressed.

KcMizzou
03-20-2008, 09:19 PM
If you are a WEC fan though, Doug Marshall is fighting Brian Stann in March. That should be a really good battle of 205 pounders.Right on. Will do, thanks. :thumb:

GoTrav
03-21-2008, 02:12 AM
can't wait to see all those Coors Light, Maxoderm, Extenze, Live Chat etc commercials every five freakin minutes....