PDA

View Full Version : Jason Elam's a Falcon

DaFace
03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
At least the bastard won't be winning them at the last second for the donkeys anymore.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8653721

Three seconds ... two seconds ... Ready, Matt Prater?

Time's up.

For the first time since the 1992 season, the Broncos' full-time placekicker will not be named Jason Elam.

The franchise leader with 236 games played — two more than John Elway — Elam's 15-year career in Denver ended today when he agreed to terms on a four-year, $9 million deal with the Atlanta Falcons. The Broncos had offered a three-year deal for about $7 million.

The Atlanta deal will make Elam second only to Josh Brown in up-front money paid for a placekicker. Brown recently signed with the St. Louis Rams. Elam's deal ranks third overall behind Brown and Adam Vinatieri of the Indianapolis Colts.

For now, the Broncos new kicker is Prater, who has made one NFL field goal in four attempts.

The Elam era in Denver was so long, it predates the Mike Shanahan era by two years. David Treadwell was the Broncos' kicker in 1992, but Elam took over after he was selected by the Wade Phillips' regime in the third round of the 1993 draft.

It was the start of 15 consecutive, 100-point seasons for Elam, an NFL record. By the time Elam left Denver, he was ranked fifth all-time in career field goals and sixth in points.

Perhaps more significantly, Elam was recognized as one of the league's best clutch kickers, a reputation enhanced during the 2007 season when he nailed four walkoff, game-winning field goals. He also made another field goal with no time remaining to send the game against Green Bay into overtime.

The Broncos had tried to re-sign Elam in recent weeks, but their three-year proposal had virtually no guarantee past the 2008 season and fell short of Atlanta's offer in first-year money.

Throughout the free-agent process, Elam had said re-signing with the Broncos was his first choice, but if it didn't work out here, the Falcons would be his second choice in large part because he grew up in the Atlanta suburb of Snellville.

In the rare position of needing a new kicker, the Broncos will first turn to Prater, who was undrafted out of Central Florida in 2006, spent some time on Detroit's practice squad that year, and went to the Miami Dolphins' training camp in 2007, before opening last season with the Falcons.

But after missing three field goals in the first two games, Prater was released and later signed with the Broncos, handling kickoffs in the final two games.

The Broncos could also show interest in veteran free agents Olindo Mare and John Carney, and there are always a number of kickers who become available late in training camp.

Bowser
03-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Good. Get him out of the AFC, and let him kick for an NFC dome team.

KCChiefsMan
03-21-2008, 05:32 PM
good, I don't know how many times he's beat us with his leg.

Lonewolf Ed
03-21-2008, 06:15 PM
It's sad how far the Chiefs have fallen when an AFC West rival loses a kicker, and it's important enough to be good news.

blueballs
03-21-2008, 07:10 PM
The Falcons like them some old place kickers

dj56dt58
03-21-2008, 07:57 PM
The Falcons like them some old place kickers

at least they know what they want..we go from old to young to young to young back to old..all over the course of 3 years

Direckshun
03-21-2008, 08:15 PM
May the race to Taylor Mehlhaff begin...

Spectre
03-21-2008, 10:43 PM
One of the greatest kickers in modern NFL history and a likely HOF inductee.

...thank God he's out of the AFC.

Rausch
03-21-2008, 10:45 PM
**** me.

This might have had a chance at making up for Neil "die in a vat of piss and Wendy's bugers hole of hell" Smith debacle.

Shame. There, he's like a fart in an empty Gym...

Spectre
03-21-2008, 10:48 PM
**** me.

This might have had a chance at making up for Neil "die in a vat of piss and Wendy's bugers hole of hell" Smith debacle.

Shame. There, he's like a fart in an empty Gym...

IIRC, didn't you guys cut him even after he was willing to come back? I know it probably inflames your anus to see him leave and immediately win back to back SBs with your division rival, but still.

ClevelandBronco
03-21-2008, 10:53 PM
I really wish that he could have finished his career with the Broncos.

Thanks for all the wins, Jason. I'll be rooting for you, even when you're teed up against us.

Next stop: Atlanta. Last stop: Akron.

Bowser
03-21-2008, 11:18 PM
I really wish that he could have finished his career with the Broncos.

Thanks for all the wins, Jason. I'll be rooting for you, even when you're teed up against us.

Next stop: Atlanta. Last stop: Akron.

Is Akron as close as the other Hall of Fame players let kickers get?

SBK
03-21-2008, 11:30 PM

LMAO

ClevelandBronco
03-21-2008, 11:31 PM

Canton is open to football players. Akron is for kickers.

EDIT: It's an old joke in Ohio.

Rausch
03-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Canton is open to football players. Akron is for kickers.

And San Fran is for the towel guys?...

ClevelandBronco
03-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Lou Groza was Canton. Jason Elam is Akron.

Maybe it's an Ohio thing. I'll let it go.

mrpopo
03-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Good. Get him out of the AFC, and let him kick for an NFC dome team.

QFT

BigRock
03-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahaha.

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/drew/archives/DREW0322.gif

Rain Man
03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I mind this not a bit, to be sure. Hopefully Shanahan will hand-pick his replacement in the way that he picks defensive linemen.

alanm
03-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Heard today that Mare is coming in tomorrow or Monday for a visit.