PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Jericho, 2006-2008

oaklandhater
03-22-2008, 03:07 AM
http://www.tv.com/story/11040.html?tag=topslot;link;0&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

UPDATE] CBS cancels cult favorite after two seasons; network will air series-finale version of Tuesday's episode.

Gather your nuts, Jericho fans, because here we go again.

Jericho was surrounded by friends and family when it was finally laid to rest.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, CBS has decided to cancel the apocalyptic drama...again. Citing sources, the trade says that producers have been told the show is ending its run.

One of the feel-good stories of last season, Jericho survived cancellation thanks to a well-publicized fan campaign that changed the minds of CBS executives. The network granted the show a shortened second season of just seven episodes, the last of which airs Tuesday.

Jericho producers prepared for the worse and shot two season finales, one of which would lose any cliffhanger ending and serve as a series finale. That ending will air Tuesday.

"In what we call our original ending... that one simply continues the story and starts the mission for season three," executive producer Carol Barbee told TV.com earlier this year. "The alternate ending just doesn't do that. It brings everybody together and you see where everybody is and it gives a lot more emotional resolution."

It's been a long roller coaster ride for Jericho's crew and fans, but in the end, the "speculative fiction" drama just couldn't bring in the viewers. The show pulled in comparable numbers to its first season, and tailed off dramatically after the season premiere.

The chances of another miracle revival are slim, as CBS already gave the show a chance and cable outlets won't risk footing the bill of the show's production.

[UPDATE] CBS has issued a statement regarding the cancellation of Jericho: "The March 25th episode of Jericho will be the series finale. Without question, there are passionate viewers watching this program; we simply wish there were more. We thank an engaged and spirited fan base for keeping the show alive this long, and an outstanding team of producers, cast and crew that went through creative hoops to deliver a compelling, high quality second season. We have no regrets bringing the show back for a second try. We listened to our viewers, gave the series an opportunity to grow, and the producers put a great story on the screen. We're proud of everyone's efforts."

Why not you How I met your mother

kcxiv
03-22-2008, 03:20 AM
How i met your mother owns.

Barney 1 liners are awesome.

03-22-2008, 03:44 AM
I could never get into Jericho at all.

I do enjoy How I Met Your Mother though.

BigMeatballDave
03-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Why not you How I met your motherMy guess would be that more people watch this. :spock:

Thig Lyfe
03-22-2008, 04:01 AM
CBS blows in every way.

oaklandhater
03-22-2008, 04:05 AM
My guess would be that more people watch this. :spock:

More people are also Stupid no offense to How i met your mother fans but that show brings nothing new.

kcxiv
03-22-2008, 05:02 AM
More people are also Stupid no offense to How i met your mother fans but that show brings nothing new.

Doesnt have to bring anything new. People just have to enjoy it.

03-22-2008, 05:20 AM

It's funny. That is all it really needs to accomplish. Is it Seinfeld or Raymond funny? Not a chance.

irishjayhawk
03-22-2008, 12:54 PM
CBS blows in every way.

Can't be worse than Fox.

Adept Havelock
03-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Damn shame. I enjoyed the series, and I really doubt that another network will pick it up.

Third Eye
03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I posted this in the Jericho thread last night. It is disappointing, but not unexpected.

oaklandhater
03-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Damn shame. I enjoyed the series, and I really doubt that another network will pick it up.

fingers crossed for sci fi.

Adept Havelock
03-22-2008, 04:57 PM
fingers crossed for sci fi.

Maybe, they are showing reruns and in the last season of Galactica. It'd be nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

milkman
03-22-2008, 07:55 PM
It amazes me that a crappyass show like How I Met your Mother is a hit, while a quality show like Jericho can't seem to buy veiwers.

That just sucks.

Old Dog
03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
They wanted it to fail this season IMO.........look at the time slot it's in.

BigMeatballDave
03-22-2008, 08:12 PM
It amazes me that a crappyass show like How I Met your Mother is a hit, while a quality show like Jericho can't seem to buy veiwers.

That just sucks.If it were quality, it would still be on the air...

teedubya
03-22-2008, 08:14 PM
more room in the time slots for big Brother 18 and Survivor 22.

JBucc
03-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Never watched it.

BigMeatballDave
03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
more room in the time slots for big Brother 18 and Survivor 22.Now thats some craptastic TV right there...

milkman
03-22-2008, 08:29 PM
If it were quality, it would still be on the air...

I guess by your definition, The New Adventures of Old Christine is a quality show.

BigMeatballDave
03-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I guess by your definition, The New Adventures of Old Christine is a quality show.I watched it last season. Grew tired of it. I wouldn't care if it got axed. My favorite shows are Lost and The Office.

Demonpenz
03-22-2008, 10:32 PM
damn i thought you were talking about chris jerico scared me

oaklandhater
03-23-2008, 01:55 AM
damn i thought you were talking about chris jerico scared me

I would rather him go then my Show.

Reaper16
03-23-2008, 01:57 AM
I would rather him go then my Show.
no u

Lzen
03-23-2008, 11:26 AM
If it were quality, it would still be on the air...

More like if there were more Americans that weren't brain dead and had an imagination, it would still be on the air. Instead, we would rather see another rehashed idea in a sitcom, another reality show, or CSI's 12th spinoff series. :shake:

KcMizzou
03-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I like Jericho, but the whole "People who don't like what I like are stupid" argument bugs me. It's a very arrogant attitude.

Arrested Development fans (and I am one) tend to be guilty of it too.

keg in kc
03-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I like Jericho, but the whole "People who don't like what I like are stupid" argument bugs me. It's a very arrogant attitude.

Arrested Development fans (and I am one) tend to be guilty of it too.That kind of thing's pretty common, especially around here.

I mean, how many times do we see "You must not watch the games, because you don't agree with me"...
Or "liberals/conservatives are stupid"...

Some people have a hard time dealing with the fact that their opinion is no more or less valid than anybody else's. Or that their opinion is even an opinion, and not itself a fact.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Jericho...quality show? Ha!

Hey, I liked watching it (more the first season, thee second had lost it's way), but at no time did I ever watch Jericho and marvel at the solid writing, good acting, or superb camera work. It was a guilty pleasure, nothing more.

Anyone that thinks Jericho was quality television should see a doctor.

HIMYM is entertaining and I enjoy watching it quite a bit.

sportsman1
03-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Jericho was the most intelligently written, overall good network tv show in years. But then again in this country these days all we are allowed to watch is reality bullshit about how bubba rolls off of billybobs D**k.

Bitter? Nah not me.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Jericho was the most intelligently written, overall good network tv show in years. But then again in this country these days all we are allowed to watch is reality bullshit about how bubba rolls off of billybobs D**k.

Bitter? Nah not me.

you need meds.

the writing was full of holes, and the dialog stilted and cheesy.

let me guess, you also thought No Country for Old Men was horrible?

milkman
03-23-2008, 04:37 PM

You mean like this?

you need meds.

the writing was full of holes, and the dialog stilted and cheesy.

let me guess, you also thought No Country for Old Men was horrible?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2008, 04:40 PM
You mean like this?

just calling it like I see it. Calling Jericho "the best written network show in years" is like calling High School Musical Oscar-worthy. Or calling the 2008 Chiefs contenders.

sportsman1
03-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Name something thats better? I haven't seen any network tv show any better. No Country for Old Men was worthy of Best Picture and so was The Departed in 2006. Jericho is the first show that has the intensity and gumption to continually garnier my attention.

milkman
03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
just calling it like I see it. Calling Jericho "the best written network show in years" is like calling High School Musical Oscar-worthy. Or calling the 2008 Chiefs contenders.

I don't know if it's the best written show in years, or if it isn't.

That's something for you guys to debate.
I don't really care.

The manner in which you "call it" comes off as arrogant.

I call it a quality show because it's entertaining and interesting, and quite frankly, whether it's well written or crap, I could give a rat's ass.

keg in kc
03-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Name something thats better? I haven't seen any network tv show any better. No Country for Old Men was worthy of Best Picture and so was The Departed in 2006. Jericho is the first show that has the intensity and gumption to continually garnier my attention.I never missed an ep of Jericho, but I think that's going a little far. I can think of a number of shows that were better-written in my mind. 24 (even crappy last season), Battlestar Galactica, Heroes, Lost, Supernatural (yes, I said Supernatural), The Shield, The Wire. just off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with more if I took the time.

And I was a fan of the show...

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Name something thats better? I haven't seen any network tv show any better. No Country for Old Men was worthy of Best Picture and so was The Departed in 2006. Jericho is the first show that has the intensity and gumption to continually garnier my attention.

Lost
The Office
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Closer

Boston Legal had several good seasons, although the last 2 have waned.

And I really do think HIMYM offers some very original writing.

Like it or not, I don't think anyone can argue with the originality and creativeness of Lost.

I stand corrected on my unneeded comment about NCFOM. I see too many people bagging on it because they wanted it to be Dirty Harry meets Deadwood.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2008, 05:16 PM
I mean come on, your defending the writing and substance of a show that couldn't remember where Jericho was (at times in south east KS, then western KS), that can't understand why showing the Rocky Mountains from Jericho is absurd, and making tons of factual errors in military and technical areas.

hell, they used the sound effects of a steam locomotive for a diesel engine.

Sully
03-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Jericho was entertaining... but the best writing? Cmon... it was cartoon.
Let's not overplay our hand here.

BigMeatballDave
03-23-2008, 06:00 PM
There is alot of garbage on TV. I never watched a single episode of Jericho. Previews just didn't interest me. I always assume if a show is not making the network any money, then no one is watching. What continues to amaze me is 'Big Brother' is still on the air. I don't know a single person who has ever watched a single episode.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-23-2008, 06:02 PM
There is alot of garbage on TV. I never watched a single episode of Jericho. Previews just didn't interest me. I always assume if a show is not making the network any money, then no one is watching. What continues to amaze me is 'Big Brother' is still on the air. I don't know a single person who has ever watched a single episode.

I hear you on that. I watched an episode one of the first seasons and was bored to death...

milkman
03-23-2008, 06:05 PM
I mean come on, your defending the writing and substance of a show that couldn't remember where Jericho was (at times in south east KS, then western KS), that can't understand why showing the Rocky Mountains from Jericho is absurd, and making tons of factual errors in military and technical areas.

hell, they used the sound effects of a steam locomotive for a diesel engine.

I'm not defending the writing.

As I said I don't know, and I don't care.

I'm just suggesting there's better ways to present your opinion.

alanm
03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
While I've never seen a episode of Jericho I can understand the passion of people who watched it. That said I can't even remember the last series that I watched regularly on network TV. The only 1 that I watch now is 24 and it won't be on till next January. I suppose X Files was the last one but that was on Fox as well.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-24-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm not defending the writing.

As I said I don't know, and I don't care.

I'm just suggesting there's better ways to present your opinion.

and as you'll see, I acknowledged that....

Sully
03-24-2008, 08:05 AM
My wife and I can't get enough of Big Brother.
Seriously, it's like a drug for us. We've even been known to watch the unedited live feed on Showtime at 11 at night.

I know... it's pathetic. but it's our guilty pleasure.

kepp
03-24-2008, 11:28 AM
It depends on the person, I guess. I'll be really sad to see Jericho canceled and I think HIMYM is the same old, recycled sitcom that I grew tired of years ago.

Deberg_1990
03-24-2008, 11:57 AM
There have been tons of quality shows canned by every network over the years. Nothing new. "Firefly" and "Cupid" being two of my favorite gripes.

Yes, it sucks, but its also a business. If no one is watching, then its going to get canned.

Occasionally, you might get lucky when a network gives a show time to build an audience. I remember "X-Files" was low rated its 1st year or 2 on the air. At least "Jericho" got a 2nd chance unlike alot of shows.

markk
03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
i watched this show but i did not think it was that great. the writing was contrived and the dialog was down right cornball at times. it was a guilty pleasure not a great show

kcxiv
03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
All networks yank shows they dont even really give a chance too. I was bummed when they canceled Traveler. I loved that show. IMO at the time it was the best new show on TV. IT was that bad ass. They do tend to keep good ones.

IF anyone wants to watch a good tv show, Check out Burn Notice. Its a really good show. Is on USA though.

chiefsfan987
03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
IF anyone wants to watch a good tv show, Check out Burn Notice. Its a really good show. Is on USA though.

I second that.

stlchiefs
03-24-2008, 03:09 PM
RIP, I never knew thee.

kepp
03-24-2008, 03:24 PM
All networks yank shows they dont even really give a chance too. I was bummed when they canceled Traveler. I loved that show. IMO at the time it was the best new show on TV. IT was that bad ass. They do tend to keep good ones.

I like Burn Notice also, but have they made any new ones lately?

Deberg_1990
03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
"Prison Break" just got renewed for a 4th season.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117982817.html?categoryid=1417&cs=1&p=0

How does a guy keep getting thrown in prison and breaking out??

Reaper16
03-24-2008, 11:51 PM
I second that.
I loved Burn Notice; I'm patiently waiting for a DVD release of season 1.

Lzen
03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
There have been tons of quality shows canned by every network over the years. Nothing new. "Firefly" and "Cupid" being two of my favorite gripes.

Yes, it sucks, but its also a business. If no one is watching, then its going to get canned.

Occasionally, you might get lucky when a network gives a show time to build an audience. I remember "X-Files" was low rated its 1st year or 2 on the air. At least "Jericho" got a 2nd chance unlike alot of shows.

I loved Firefly. Another good one was John Doe.

Burn Notice is good. I can't wait until they start airing new episodes. I am assuming that will happen this summer.

KcMizzou
03-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Jericho Seeks A New Home

Carol Barbee, executive producer of CBS' canceled post-apocalyptic series Jericho, told SCI FI Wire that talks are ongoing to find the show another home, perhaps on a cable network.

"I can't really say [much] about specifics, and, ... partially, it's because I'm not the one having those conversations," Barbee said in an interview on March 24, the eve of the show's final episode. "[CBS] Paramount [Television, which produces the show,] has been pursing it, and our agents have been into that, so, you know, I am pushing those people and coming up with ideas to have those people pursue."

Barbee wouldn't offer details about any talks. "There were several ideas that have been floated, and there was some interest, but we'll have to see," she said. "It wasn't something that could be sewn up before we were going to air the finale. ... It would have been better had we been able to announce one with the other, but it just didn't happen that fast."

Barbee said that she and the show's cast and crew got official word of the show's cancellation at the end of last week, in time to choose one of two endings for the season finale: A cliffhanger or a series ender. "We were told that they were having a meeting on Thursday, ... internally at CBS, to decide which of the endings to show for this Tuesday night's finale, and then we were given the heads up after that meeting that they were going to show the alternate [ending, with the series finale], which obviously to us meant that we were going to finish our run on CBS," Barbee said. Barbee asked CBS to delay its formal announcement for 24 hours so she could inform the cast and crew; the news broke on Friday.

If Jericho is not picked up for another season by a TV network, Barbee said that she could envision it living on in some other form. "There's definitely an Internet series to be had, and we always talked about a graphic novel, and ... a movie," Barbee said. "I mean, there are lots of things that I could easily see as a way to continue the story."

But time may be running out. Jericho wrapped its second season of episodes back in November, just as the writers' strike was beginning. Since then, the cast and crew have been freed to pursue other projects, and the show's sets and backlot have been dismantled and either destroyed or put into storage. Barbee herself has moved on to another series, Swingtown, created by Jericho alumnus Mike Kelley, about the lives of couples experimenting with sexual and social mores in a 1970s Chicago suburb, which will air on CBS this summer and is shooting on the same stages once occupied by Jericho.

Looking back on Jericho, Barbee was pleased that it attracted a core of die-hard fans who were responsible for getting CBS to resurrect the show for a second season. "We appreciated the second life that we had, and we feel like we've made the most of it, and we will just be forever indebted to the fans for taking us on this amazing ride," she said. "I think it will always be a highlight in our careers, that we got to be a part of that." Jericho's finale, "Patriots and Tyrants," airs March 25 at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

(Fans wishing to write SCI FI Channel about picking Jericho up should NOT use the scifiwire@scifi.com e-mail address, but rather should send snail mail here: SCI FI Channel, 21st Floor, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112.) --Patrick Lee, News Editor

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=50950

Braincase
03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
And there it was folks. Thanks to the writers, producers and actors that created Jericho. I enjoyed it.

kcxiv
03-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Season 2 will be released in the summer i beleive. Its a summer show like Rescue me and Entourage.

Adept Havelock
03-25-2008, 09:40 PM
And there it was folks. Thanks to the writers, producers and actors that created Jericho. I enjoyed it.

As did I. It was a good run, and I kind of liked the way they left it open-ended.

I was expecting a "Red Dawn" style shot of a monument flying the American flag, but this was far better IMO.

kcxiv
03-25-2008, 09:53 PM

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Burn-Notice-Season-1-Box-Art-Press-Release/9124

oaklandhater
03-25-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=50950

Dear god I hope she talks Sci Fi or CW in takeing it

Baby Lee
03-27-2008, 10:15 AM
That kind of thing's pretty common, especially around here.

I mean, how many times do we see "You must not watch the games, because you don't agree with me"...
Or "liberals/conservatives are stupid"...

Some people have a hard time dealing with the fact that their opinion is no more or less valid than anybody else's. Or that their opinion is even an opinion, and not itself a fact.

But to be fair, there are things that are empirically quality, but require a level of attention some are not willing to pay. That's true for all media. It's entirely possible that people can see different things in a FB game [one intently watching line play, the other on the lookout for high impact plays]. Someone who thinks liberals/conservatives are stupid can have valid assessments of a broad range of stupid liberals/conservatives, having just ignored the more enlightened of the species.

Increasingly people are calling upon their TV to just be a respite from thought. Give them a comfortable formula and attractive people, and they can chill. Something like CSI Miami or Law and Order deliver that. The Wire or Arrested Development call on the viewer to do a little more and reward them for their effort, and some people aren't down with that.

I can see both sides, with Arrested Development I was a HUGE fan, because the references, callbacks and elaborate puns were hilarious. But I can see how someone not paying a lot of attention, or unfamiliar with the format, would just see bland and boring.

Baby Lee
03-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Oh, and though I'd continue to watch if they renewed it, this is not nearly as disappointing as the cancellation of Journeyman.

unlurking
03-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh, and though I'd continue to watch if they renewed it, this is not nearly as disappointing as the cancellation of Journeyman.

For some reason I couldn't quite get into that show. Do like New Amsterdam though.

That's the one thing I liked about Jericho though, it wasn't a blatant rip-off of Quantum Leap / Highlander. I understand that very little of these shows are truly "new", but some new twists would be nice.

Baby Lee
03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
For some reason I couldn't quite get into that show. Do like New Amsterdam though.

That's the one thing I liked about Jericho though, it wasn't a blatant rip-off of Quantum Leap / Highlander. I understand that very little of these shows are truly "new", but some new twists would be nice.

Journeyman was like Quantum Leap only conceptually, it's tone and the story that was being told were light years apart. If anything, it was a mashup of QL's concept with Lost's storytelling style.

unlurking
03-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Journeyman was like Quantum Leap only conceptually, it's tone and the story that was being told were light years apart. If anything, it was a mashup of QL's concept with Lost's storytelling style.
Oh, I'll agree with that, but they didn't do enough in the first episode to truly show the differences IMO, and it just seemed kind of flat. I never did catch another episode, which I probably should have to give it a fair shake, but it just didn't "grab" me right away.

Sadly, I think what "grabbed" me for New Amsterdam was the end of the show special effects where the city just "grew up" around him. Stupid I know, but for some reason that just hit the wow factor for me to watch another episode.

keg in kc
03-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh, and though I'd continue to watch if they renewed it, this is not nearly as disappointing as the cancellation of Journeyman.No, but Journeyman was doomed almost from the get-go, so we could be prepared. None of this dragged-out false hope of Jericho (although, I'd say everybody expected it to be canned, too...).

Real shame, too, that was a really good show which topped-off probably the best night of programming on any network last fall.

keg in kc
03-27-2008, 11:11 AM
I keep meaning to watch the New Amsterdam eps on fox.com, but can't ever remember to do it.

Mr. Plow
03-27-2008, 12:01 PM

I guess I wasn't paying attention.....I liked Journeyman.....didn't see it got cancelled.

kcxiv
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Journeyman started off very slow, but once it got going, it was tv show heaven.

oaklandhater
03-28-2008, 12:57 AM
so after BSG ends other then heroes sci fi tv virtually none existent.

Third Eye
03-28-2008, 07:22 AM
so after BSG ends other then heroes sci fi tv virtually none existent.

Don't forget Stargate: Atlantis. The Stargate series has always been a little campy for some, but I love it. There is also the possibility that we might see the BSG spinoff Caprica.

Baby Lee
03-28-2008, 07:22 AM
"Prison Break" just got renewed for a 4th season.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117982817.html?categoryid=1417&cs=1&p=0

How does a guy keep getting thrown in prison and breaking out??

Don your leather jacket, strap on your water skis and prep the shark tank.

Spoiler in link:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Ausiello-Scoop-Prison/800036399

oaklandhater
03-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Don't forget Stargate: Atlantis. The Stargate series has always been a little campy for some, but I love it. There is also the possibility that we might see the BSG spinoff Caprica.

I would sell my left nut for a BSG spinoff.

Third Eye
03-28-2008, 08:23 AM
I would sell my left nut for a BSG spinoff.
Well on March 18, 2008, Sci-Fi announced that they had greenlit the two-hour pilot and it should go into production soon.

Baby Lee
04-04-2008, 11:00 AM
I guess I wasn't paying attention.....I liked Journeyman.....didn't see it got cancelled.

http://candorville.com/2008/02/24/journeyman2/

Reaper16
04-04-2008, 01:25 PM
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Burn-Notice-Season-1-Box-Art-Press-Release/9124
**** and Yes. Thanks for the head-up!

keg in kc
04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
AICN says (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36327) rumors of Jericho's demise may be greatly exaggerated:Will Comcast Cable Greenlight New Episodes Of JERICHO??

I am – Hercules!!

From a Monday New York Times story on the DirecTV deal that’s allowing NBC bring back “Friday Night Lights”:

CBS Paramount Network Television has held talks with Comcast, the cable provider, about finding new life for “Jericho,” the low-rated drama canceled by CBS last month, according to two people briefed on the talks who requested anonymity.

The proposed CBS/Comcast deal may follow the model employed by NBC and DirecTV for "Friday Night Lights," which allows DirecTV to satcast new episodes of FNL on its 101 channel beginning in October. NBC then repeats the episodes early next year.

Read all of the Times’ story on the matter here (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/07/business/media/07direct.html?ref=media).

Adept Havelock
04-08-2008, 12:16 PM
AICN says (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36327) rumors of Jericho's demise may be greatly exaggerated:

If true, I'll be thrilled. I'd love to see the Second Civil War plotline play out.

I'm sure the US and Texas can find a use for Mr. Hawkins in such a situation. :D