PDA

View Full Version : Household Question: What is "color-safe" bleach?

Rain Man
03-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I know what laundry soap is. It cleans the stuff you put in the washer.

I know what bleach is. It gets white stuff whiter and makes bad splotches on colored clothes, which I'd rather not discuss at the moment.

What's color-safe bleach? Does it magically make other colors brighter? Do I use it with regular laundry soap, or as a substitute?

BigMeatballDave
03-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Doesn't ruin colored clothing. Thats my guess. I never use it.

evolve27
03-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Color-Safe Bleach is, quite simply, a bleach that is safe to use on washable, colored clothes. These bleaches, available in powder and liquids, remove stains and help keep colors bright. The powdered bleaches also have enzymes to break up tough protein stains, which is why they make an excellent presoak.

A color-safe bleach is not a diluted bleach. The gentle bleaching action in liquids is from hydrogen peroxide. Powders commonly use sodium perborate.

These color-safe bleaches also have optical brighteners. This ingredient is like an invisible layer on fabrics. It reflects light, making colors appear brighter and whites whiter.

Source:http://www.textileaffairs.com/stains.htm

Rain Man
03-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Those optical brighteners sound like some sort of alien technology.

evolve27
03-23-2008, 03:35 PM

From our first encounter in 1947 these "aliens" continue to mystify our modern day ufologists.

Bugeater
03-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Color-Safe Bleach is, quite simply, a bleach that is safe to use on washable, colored clothes. These bleaches, available in powder and liquids, remove stains and help keep colors bright. The powdered bleaches also have enzymes to break up tough protein stains, which is why they make an excellent presoak.

A color-safe bleach is not a diluted bleach. The gentle bleaching action in liquids is from hydrogen peroxide. Powders commonly use sodium perborate.

These color-safe bleaches also have optical brighteners. This ingredient is like an invisible layer on fabrics. It reflects light, making colors appear brighter and whites whiter.

Man card. Hand over. Now.

BucEyedPea
03-23-2008, 04:24 PM

It's like having a hue and saturation slider on your washer machine.

Demonpenz
03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
it doesn't hurt as bad if you dip it in a qtip and rub it in a hooker's eye i know that

blueballs
03-23-2008, 09:11 PM
negros can use it

Boon
03-23-2008, 11:49 PM
negros can use it

LMAO

StcChief
03-24-2008, 08:42 AM
negros can use itROFLROFL the cross thread humor continues

crazycoffey
03-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I think it's just a marketing ploy by big business to get you to buy more shiite you don't need.....

penguinz
03-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Man card. Hand over. Now.
Because he know how to use google?

Rain Man
03-24-2008, 11:11 AM
I think it's just a marketing ploy by big business to get you to buy more shiite you don't need.....

You obviously didn't read about the invisible optical brighteners. I NEED those.

crazycoffey
03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
You obviously didn't read about the invisible optical brighteners. I NEED those.

I hear you have bright enough eyes already....

Dylan
03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
What is "color-safe" bleach?
Rainman: I often wondered that myself. ...:D

What's color-safe bleach? Does it magically make other colors brighter? Do I use it with regular laundry soap, or as a substitute?
lol ...

The commercial washing machines in my apt. building feature a button with similar wording. I always press the "colors" button. It sounds safe.

Donger
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
How about options on household appliances that you never use?

1) The mysterious cup looking thing in the washing machine.

2) That little compartment in the dishwasher.

3) The headlight on a vacuum cleaner.

4) The carry handle on a vacuum cleaner.

kepp
03-24-2008, 11:53 AM
"Ancient Chinese Secret"

http://www.angryasianman.com/images/angry/calgon.jpg

seclark
03-24-2008, 11:53 AM

5) that handle thing on the back of the toilet.
sec

Rain Man
03-24-2008, 11:57 AM

My microwave has about 8,000 pre-set buttons on it, and yet I always just punch in the time. Does anyone use those pre-sets?

There is one that I've used occasionally, though. It's a "sensor reheat" button, and supposedly it figures out how hot your food is and stops when it's "hot". I don't know why I can't just use that button all the time, but I don't. I think maybe it's because I follow the rules, and the rules say it's only for reheating.

Chest Rockwell
03-24-2008, 11:59 AM
The powdered bleaches also have enzymes to break up tough protein stains, which is why they make an excellent presoak, especially for socks and sheets.

Fixed your post.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y3-qVRczltU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y3-qVRczltU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Bugeater
03-24-2008, 12:02 PM

If the compartment in the dishwasher you're referring to is the one I'm thinking of, it's for anti-spotting agents such as Jet-Dry, and the handle on the vacuum cleaner is for doing steps. Beats the shit out of me as far as the other two go.

Donger
03-24-2008, 12:06 PM
My microwave has about 8,000 pre-set buttons on it, and yet I always just punch in the time. Does anyone use those pre-sets?

There is one that I've used occasionally, though. It's a "sensor reheat" button, and supposedly it figures out how hot your food is and stops when it's "hot". I don't know why I can't just use that button all the time, but I don't. I think maybe it's because I follow the rules, and the rules say it's only for reheating.

Not me. I remember having one of those temperature probes for an old microwave years ago, but I never used it except one time when I tested it by boiling some water.

I do use the power settings feature sometimes, even though it's not really reducing power at all.

Rain Man
03-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Before we redid our kitchen, our old dishwasher had a "party" button. I always kind of liked having that option, even though I have no idea what it did.

Skip Towne
03-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Donger
03-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Before we redid our kitchen, our old dishwasher had a "party" button. I always kind of liked having that option, even though I have no idea what it did.

It opened up a small opening in the Faraday cage. That's why you always got a little flushed while using it.

Donger
03-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

A few reasons, but primarily because the leather helmet contained the speakers for the radio.

Rain Man
03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
A few reasons, but primarily because the leather helmet contained the speakers for the radio.

I wonder what they listened to on the radio. It would have been before "American Pie" immortalized plane crashes, or otherwise I'll bet they would've listened to that.

Donger
03-24-2008, 12:27 PM
I wonder what they listened to on the radio. It would have been before "American Pie" immortalized plane crashes, or otherwise I'll bet they would've listened to that.

I Want To Be A Lawn Dart by Gravity Don't Cry.

crazycoffey
03-24-2008, 01:34 PM
I Want To Be A Lawn Dart by Gravity Don't Cry.

ROFL, that's funny....