PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs notebook: Herm mad at Bucs, Rams

Tribal Warfare
03-24-2008, 11:54 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/545024.html

Chiefs notebook: Herm mad at Bucs, Rams

<table> </table> Herm isn’t happy

If coach Herm Edwards didn’t accuse the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and St. Louis Rams of cheating when they signed free agents of interest to the Chiefs, he certainly implied it Monday.
During a news conference called to announce plans for his football camp in Kansas City, Edwards indicated the Chiefs were as aggressive as NFL rules allowed them to be in pursuing center Jeff Faine and kicker Josh Brown.
NFL rules prohibit teams from contacting prospective free agents or their agents until the new league begins. This year, that was at 11 p.m. Feb. 28.
“There were probably some deals done before (the start of the league year),” Edwards said when asked why the Chiefs didn’t get in the game with either player. “We didn’t cheat. We abided by the rules. That’s how you’re supposed to do it, and that’s what we did.”
Faine signed with Tampa Bay in the hours after free-agency began. Brown immediately visited with the Rams and signed with them before the Chiefs could get him to visit.
“You’d have to ask Tampa,” Edwards said when asked whether the Bucs were in early on Faine. “I don’t know what Tampa did.”
Asked what happened with Brown and the Rams, he said, “I have no idea.”
A St. Joseph practice
The Chiefs will bring their June 12 practice to Missouri Western in St. Joseph. The practice will be open to fans.
The Chiefs are also planning a June 7 minicamp practice at Arrowhead Stadium similar to what they have done in recent years.
St. Joseph and Missouri Western have tried to lure training camp from River Falls, Wis. Edwards said the June 12 practice wasn’t a precursor to moving camp.
“We’re just being ambassadors,” he said.
The Chiefs will also begin on Friday what they are calling their Total Access Tour. Fans will be able to meet with coaches and players from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Nelson-Atkins Museum.
QB, or not QB?
Whether or not it’s Matt Ryan of Boston College in the first round, Edwards said the Chiefs would strongly consider selecting a quarterback in the draft next month.
Edwards said he wouldn’t be averse to going into the season with Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen and a rookie at quarterback. In that case, the Chiefs would trade or release their only veteran QB, Damon Huard.
Inactive in free-agency
The Chiefs have signed only two free agents, and neither is guaranteed to be a starter. Demorrio Williams will challenge Napoleon Harris for a starting linebacking spot, while Devard Darling will compete for playing time at wide receiver.
Edwards indicated the two might be the sum of the Chiefs’ free-agent haul, at least until the draft is finished.
“We had a list of guys that we kind of liked,” Edwards said. “There was an A list, a B list and a C list. When you start getting into the C list, you’re really starting to grab. Those guys will still be there after the draft (if they’re still needed).”

Chiefs Pantalones
03-25-2008, 12:09 AM
LMAO why do I root for this team?

RealSNR
03-25-2008, 01:07 AM
LMAO why do I root for this team?Because you're a sociopathic lunatic who enjoys spending time on an internet message board with other sociopathic lunatics?

blueballs
03-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Here's a little song I wrote
going to play it note for note
don't worry be happy

BigRock
03-25-2008, 01:42 AM
He definitely implied that the Bucs and Faine already had a deal, but Herm didn't say anything about the Rams in his press conference. Josh Brown wasn't even signed until nearly a whole day had passed.

Probably more excellence from Teicher.

oaklandhater
03-25-2008, 02:29 AM
did somebody call a wambulance

03-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Nature of the Beast. This team is pathetic. Always looking for excuses.

JBucc
03-25-2008, 05:40 AM
I bet he's just trying to get Goodell to swap one of our draft picks with Tampa. Herm doesn't realize that would lower our draft position.

Stryker
03-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Food for thought Herm:

GET OVER IT!

Snooze you loose.

Rausch
03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
I bet he's just trying to get Goodell to swap one of our draft picks with Tampa. Herm doesn't realize that would lower our draft position.

A cheaper bust is a good deal...:doh!:

TEX
03-25-2008, 06:36 AM
Food for thought Herm:

GET OVER IT!

Snooze you loose.

:clap: No $hit!

DaKCMan AP
03-25-2008, 06:38 AM
:clap: No $hit!

So we don't break the rules then Herm is a little crybaby. If we break the rules and get punished like the 49ers then Herm is a cheating idiot.

There's no winning scenario with some people..

Stryker
03-25-2008, 06:49 AM
So we don't break the rules then Herm is a little crybaby. If we break the rules and get punished like the 49ers then Herm is a cheating idiot.

It is right here in black and white...

"Faine signed with Tampa Bay in the hours after free-agency began. Brown immediately visited with the Rams and signed with them before the Chiefs could get him to visit."

I am not for cheating at all but I hardly call this cheating. Sounds to me like frustration or a spoiled sport.

bsp4444
03-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Looks more to me like these players realize how bad off this organization is and have no intention of signing here.

DaKCMan AP
03-25-2008, 07:05 AM

"Faine signed with Tampa Bay in the hours after free-agency began. Brown immediately visited with the Rams and signed with them before the Chiefs could get him to visit."

I am not for cheating at all but I hardly call this cheating. Sounds to me like frustration or a spoiled sport.

I understand that they all signed in the hours after free agency began. The article alludes that tampering might have been involved with contact prior to the start of free agency. If everyone followed the rules and we just lost out, then yeah, tough luck. If tampering was involved (not saying it was or wasn't) then I don't blame Herm for being pissed.

TEX
03-25-2008, 07:17 AM

ROFL

No - Herm is an idiot all the time. He's a cry baby because "You play to win the game!" You don't cry about things. You just take the high road and move on.

jspchief
03-25-2008, 07:18 AM

I am not for cheating at all but I hardly call this cheating. Sounds to me like frustration or a spoiled sport.The signing may have occured within the legit time frame, but you can't help but wonder how they managed to reach an agreement that quickly if there hadn't been prior contact.

Fat Elvis
03-25-2008, 07:19 AM

Kind of like Carl Peterson and the playoffs, right?

BigChiefFan
03-25-2008, 07:38 AM
The signing may have occured within the legit time frame, but you can't help but wonder how they managed to reach an agreement that quickly if there hadn't been prior contact.I believe the other teams OFFERED contracts, we asked to bring them in without a contract offer, that's the way they usually roll. Of course, you're going to lose out with that approach.

DaKCMan AP
03-25-2008, 07:43 AM
I believe the other teams OFFERED contracts, we asked to bring them in without a contract offer, that's the way they usually roll. Of course, you're going to lose out with that approach.

You're going to offer someone millions of $$$'s without so much as an informal meeting?

Chiefnj2
03-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Herm, Carl and Clarke were too worried about players with long hair to have been aggressive with free agency when the clock struck.

jspchief
03-25-2008, 07:53 AM
I believe the other teams OFFERED contracts, we asked to bring them in without a contract offer, that's the way they usually roll. Of course, you're going to lose out with that approach.
Yea, but Faine was pretty much the top prospect at his position in FA... the idea that the Bucs offered the "magic number" within the first few hours of FA, without Faine even seeing what else was out there?

I just don't see too many FA deals coming together in the matter of a few hours, particularly for players in Faine's position.

We'll probably never know for sure, but I can't blame the Chiefs or any other organization for having suspicions. Particularly considering the news with Briggs and Rosenhaus.

FloridaMan88
03-25-2008, 07:57 AM
We've seen this time and time again when it comes to the Chiefs in free agency... and they still never learn. If you want to land the player you covet you have to be aggressive out of the gate, even if it means slightly overpaying.

Sitting on your ass, taking a vacation during the first week of free agency and thinking that free agents will patiently wait while the Chiefs prepare a lowball offer doesn't cut it. That's why the Chiefs usually strike out in landing their targeted free agents and end up making panic signings such as Kendrell Bell and Shawn Barber.

Skip Towne
03-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Players don't need to visit KC to know they don't want to play there.

BigChiefFan
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
You're going to offer someone millions of $$$'s without so much as an informal meeting?
Teams do it all the time. We could have at least offered a contract to show we are interested. We set up an appointment. Good teams should know what they are willing to spend on a player and have a good idea of what they will go up to for said player. We did neither.

jspchief
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
We've seen this time and time again when it comes to the Chiefs in free agency... and they still never learn. If you want to land the player you covet you have to be aggressive out of the gate, even if it means slightly overpaying.

Sitting on your ass, taking a vacation during the first week of free agency and thinking that free agents will patiently wait while the Chiefs prepare a lowball offer doesn't cut it. That's why the Chiefs usually strike out in landing their targeted free agents and end up making panic signings such as Kendrell Bell and Shawn Barber.
The Chiefs started calling agents at midnight when FA started.

BigChiefFan
03-25-2008, 08:07 AM

Calling agents inquiring if they would visit. Teams that were prepared, started offering contracts over the phone. Our entire approach is a day late and a dollar short.

StcChief
03-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Josh Brown wanted to play 8 games minimum year in a DOME ENVIROMENT for kicking

thehead
03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Food for thought Herm:

GET OVER IT!

Snooze you loose.

Nice:)

jspchief
03-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Calling agents inquiring if they would visit. Teams that were prepared, started offering contracts over the phone. Our entire approach is a day late and a dollar short.
It still bucks the idea that they took a week off to go on vacation.

As far as I am concerned, Faine would have been nice but isn't going to make or break our season. I would have loved to have gotten Josh Brown, but I'm not a huge fan of spending a ton on a kicker.

This was a shitty year for FAs anyway. I'm not real broken up that KC chose to play it safe. This team has too many needs to get over-invested in a bunch of FAs.

Stryker
03-25-2008, 08:21 AM

EXACTLY!!!! Very well said! :clap:

Fish
03-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Yeah..... if only we'd be more like Washington. You know... the way they've been aggressively signing high-dollar free agents for the last 6 or 7 years.

I mean... just look at all the success they're having with that approach. Yup.... that's a team not afraid to spend the big dollars on free agents right out of the gate. Look at how those big name free agents have paid off... Wish we could make the playoffs as often as them......

Skyy God
03-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Were we going to pay Faine 6 yrs, $37.5M? I highly doubt it. So whether there were any shenanigans in his signing with TB is a non-issue.

Chiefnj2
03-25-2008, 08:50 AM

It started at 11:00 so it wouldn't really surprise me if KC started at midnight.

Duck Dog
03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm a Herm basher, but bashing him for being pissed about Faine being signed within hours of the start of free agency is a little too much. That's hardly crying about it. And if it's true, he's probably correct in his accusation.

Pittsie has it right, IMO.

Were we going to pay Faine 6 yrs, $37.5M? I highly doubt it. So whether there were any shenanigans in his signing with TB is a non-issue.

Chiefnj2
03-25-2008, 09:05 AM
An agents job is to get his client the best deal possible. If they signed those contracts so quickly then the players agent must have been pretty certain nobody else was going to beat it, which would mean the agent spoke to multiple persons.

Also, I seem to recall rumors a year ahead of time about Herm coming to KC as head coach. There was lots of smoke and talk about months before the season ended with Herm denying it to the NY press, then amazingly it happens. But, Herm and/or his agent wouldn't have had talks with KC while he was still under contract with the Jets would he? Nooooo, that would be cheating.

Duck Dog
03-25-2008, 09:07 AM
An agents job is to get his client the best deal possible. If they signed those contracts so quickly then the players agent must have been pretty certain nobody else was going to beat it, which would mean the agent spoke to multiple persons.

Also, I seem to recall rumors a year ahead of time about Herm coming to KC as head coach. There was lots of smoke and talk about months before the season ended with Herm denying it to the NY press, then amazingly it happens. But, Herm and/or his agent wouldn't have had talks with KC while he was still under contract with the Jets would he? Nooooo, that would be cheating.

Great. Even when Carl cheats we lose.

shyguyms
03-25-2008, 10:26 AM

theres a win win for everyone, if Herm is fired, that piece of SH*T

Mr. Laz
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM

and no matter what anyone around here says you will find a reason to BITCH at them for it.

absolutely no winning with some people

stlchiefs
03-25-2008, 10:46 AM
This is BS, call Goodell. The Chiefs deserve to switch draft picks with the St. Losers. Punish them Roger.

Mecca
03-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Herm, Carl and Clarke were too worried about players with long hair to have been aggressive with free agency when the clock struck.

No wonder we didn't draft Polamalu.

blueballs
03-25-2008, 11:23 AM
What good player at a good price
that they needed to go to the next level
did they miss out on

jspchief
03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
It started at 11:00 so it wouldn't really surprise me if KC started at midnight.
It's an hour... to land anyone in the first hour of FA, you're going to have to grossly overpay them.

Honestly, I'm not interested in overpaying a center or a kicker.

Mecca
03-25-2008, 11:36 AM
I think Faine is from the Tampa area so the Chiefs probably weren't going to get him anyway.