PDA

View Full Version : Gadgetry's Golden Rule: Buy the cheap cables

siberian khatru
03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
http://www.popsci.com/gear-gadgets/article/2008-03/gadgetrys-golden-rule

Gadgetry's Golden Rule

"Buy the cheap cables": Remember these words and thou shalt never be ripped off

By Jon Chase Posted 03.25.2008 at 6:51 pm 7 Comments

For the vast majority of us, few are the occasions when our opinions matter in any meaningful way. Say what you will about the importance of teaching your children, or being in charge of your office budget or participating in the voting process, but the sad reality is that your wisdom is an underutilized asset… except when it comes to your tech savvy. If you’re reading this, it’s your responsibility to go out in the world and evangelize against the temptations of bad tech gear.

I recently found myself failing in this regard, after a friend made a big ticket purchase without my counsel. Eager to spend her annual bonus on an HDTV, she made a trip to her local Best Buy before speaking with me, and I can only blame myself that I didn’t get to her sooner. The LCD she bought was reasonable enough—not one I’d pick, mind you—but what got me was that she fell victim to the cable up-sell. It’s the biggest scam there is. So 180 bucks and a fistful of overpriced plastic-wrapped copper later, I’m shaking my head and she’s soured on her purchase, which is a shame.
Related Articles

Much has been written and debated about the cable question, so in light of my friend’s recent misfortune, I’d like to speak plainly and settle the question once and for all. For the record: Pricey, so-called high-end cables and wiring—speaker, HDMI, DVI, Firewire, RCA, USB, you name it—no matter what, are an out-and-out scam.

I know you audiophiles out there are now taking off your $3000 walnut-core, gold-plated headphones and putting out a call on your analog phones to form a lynch mob—but hear me out. The electronics industry’s dirty little secret is that they have extremely thin margins on gear, so they make up the cost difference by up-selling you on extended warranties and incredibly marked-up cables.

Lest I be accused of comparing apples to oranges, or analog to digital, let me concede that when it comes to speaker wire, you should pay attention to gauge and maybe take shielding into consideration. But that’s it. Go get your next speaker wire at Home Depot and save yourself a few hundies. As for digital, certainly some cables may be constructed to be a little more rugged, which if you’re plugging and unplugging your cables a few times a day—which precisely no one does—then their higher build quality may merit a few extra dollars in price. A few dollars.

However, an $8 HDMI cable is as good as any other—for instance this $220 beauty from Monster. One digital signal (it’s just ones and zeros!) works exactly like any other digital signal. Manufacturers will show you oscilloscopes attempting to prove otherwise, and speak of bandwidth and nitrogen-infusions and gold-plating and precious herbs and berries, but that’s all complete nonsense. The human eye (and ear, for that matter) can’t tell the difference and anyone telling you otherwise is selling something—like these $7250 speaker cables.

Consider this the Golden Rule of gadgetry, and make sure your friends hear it. I’ll enjoy reading comments from audio- and videophiles defending their ridiculous purchases, as well as other buying suggestions and possible scams to watch out for.

TinyEvel
03-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

I'm about to buy cables, and I usually go for the "one level up" ones. Not the ludicrously expensive ones. But still...

The Franchise
03-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

I'm about to buy cables, and I usually go for the "one level up" ones. Not the ludicrously expensive ones. But still...

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

shakesthecat
03-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

100% true.

www.monoprice.com

I have the 58in version of your new plasma, and the HDMI and optical audio cables I got from them work great.

kcxiv
03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Monster Cables is the biggest rip off ever. I buy my cables from that monoprice.

siberian khatru
03-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Hmmm -- here's what my dad said:

I have to say that I started out with this attitude,
but experience has changed my mind somewhat. I
started with cheap HDMI cable on my HD set upstairs
and wasn't happy. Upgraded and saw definite
difference. When we got your mom's HD set last fall I
used the HDMI cables that came with the DirecTv HD box
(even though the tech who installed warned me they
weren't real good). Was not happy with the picture at
all. Bought a much more expensive HDMI cable at
BestBuy (not top of the line, but close), came home
and changed cables. BIG difference in picture
quality. I know Consumer Reports says the same thing
this guy says, but my experience has sure been
different.

BigVE
03-26-2008, 03:26 PM
You people are no real help...I bought the cheap HDMI cable and don't know the difference considering I have never had HD tv before this one. I have been tempted to upgrade just see if it would be better. Hmmmm.

Stewie
03-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Save your money and buy the cheap cables. This is digital, folks, not analog. Even if the 0's and 1's get messed up in transition your TV is smart enough to figure out what's correct through the packets that are transmitted (probably checksum or some such algorithm).

TinyEvel
03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm about to run cables down my wall. Should I keep some of them separate from each other? You know will there be interference if they are close together.

I have the power cord and two HDMI cables (one for the PS3 and one for the DIRECTV box)

Sure-Oz
03-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Any major store will rip you off, they are in demand so they can.

Monoprice fo sho

DaFace
03-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Hmmm -- here's what my dad said:

I have to say that I started out with this attitude,
but experience has changed my mind somewhat. I
started with cheap HDMI cable on my HD set upstairs
and wasn't happy. Upgraded and saw definite
difference. When we got your mom's HD set last fall I
used the HDMI cables that came with the DirecTv HD box
(even though the tech who installed warned me they
weren't real good). Was not happy with the picture at
all. Bought a much more expensive HDMI cable at
BestBuy (not top of the line, but close), came home
and changed cables. BIG difference in picture
quality. I know Consumer Reports says the same thing
this guy says, but my experience has sure been
different.

I know of no reason that could be true aside from some sort of interference. As the article mentioned, it's a digital signal, so if you're getting a signal, it should be as good as you can get.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Digital Cables are immune to electromagnetic or RF interference.

Monoprice: Any time, every time.

TinyEvel
03-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks! I was at Best Buy tonight and asked the guy "do you have any HDMI cables that don't cost a milion dolars?"
He said, "We have one that costs a half-million dollars"

Basically, their cheapest one is 59 bucks.

NO THANKS!

Though I did pick up DAWN OF THE DEAD on Blu-Ray

Zombies FTW!