PDA

View Full Version : ShishKabob Recipes

booyaf2
03-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Any suggestions. I pretty well know the basics, just looking for good ideas or extras. Tried to search and didn't come up with anything

Duck Dog
03-27-2008, 08:01 AM
This is wild duck and rice that I prepare, it was featured in a news paper article. Pretty simple really.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/duckdog/Duckkabobs.jpg

My specialty though is BBQ goose sandwiches.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/duckdog/BBQgoose.jpg

booyaf2
03-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Looks very good. Some people marinade, some don't. Trying to figure something out for the BBall games tonight. Will only have about 3 hours to prepare and don't really know if there'll be time for it.

Duck Dog
03-27-2008, 08:13 AM
So your saying you don't have time to go out and shoot some ducks? :)

My advice is to use the best steaks you can afford. Cook them to med/rare before you skewer them. The best veggies to use are tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, garlic, squash. Cook the steaks first then skewer the kabobs together and place back on grill until veggies are hot. The reason you do it this way is to keep the veggies from over cooking waiting on the steaks to finish.

Monty
03-27-2008, 08:17 AM
wrt ShishKabob recipes, I usually don't marinate, but found a great recipe from a guy named Big John who usually does a lot of cooking for the NASCAR crowd. Simply put, it goes like this:

There are two different types of ShishKabobs that I make:

1. Beef(NY Strip), mushrooms, and onions.
2. Chicken, cherry tomatoes, and red/yellow bell peppers.

Pour olive oil into a bowl and add KC Masterpiece BBQ seasoning to it. With a basting brush, liberally apply to the Shishkabob before putting it on the grill. Once on the grill, apply Montreal Steak seasoning to the steak Kabobs and Montreal Chicken seasoning to the chicken kabobs.

Grill it and you're done. The only real prep time is building the kabobs, but it's pretty tasty and I've made it a few times for the tailgate parties and just made them again last week for the games. For the chicken kabobs, I've renamed them Chiefkabobs due to the color. :)

Monty
03-27-2008, 08:19 AM

My advice is to use the best steaks you can afford. Cook them to med/rare before you skewer them. The best veggies to use are tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, garlic, squash. Cook the steaks first then skewer the kabobs together and place back on grill until veggies are hot. The reason you do it this way is to keep the veggies from over cooking waiting on the steaks to finish.

too much work/prep IMO with the steaks, although I agree completely about the quality of steak....use the best cuts if possible. With the olive oil, the meat and veggies all get done at the same time so. That leaves more time for drinking beer while cooking. :)

Monty
03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Just found a pic of my Chiefkabobs. :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/txchief/Chiefkabobs.jpg

Monty
03-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Here's the link to the book for the recipe if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Johns-Speedway-Grill-Sizzling/dp/0696226871

booyaf2
03-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks Monty!

Monty
03-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks Monty!

No problem at all. These bobs are quite tasty and I'm sure you'll enjoy. :)

unlurking
03-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Very nice looking Monty!!

I do something similar to your chiefkabobs, but use red peppers, onions, and baby dutch yellow potatoes. Nice to have some starch in the mix, without making a side item (at least for me). Boil for 20 minutes, liberally coat with garlic salt, and they come out with a nice crispy exterior after being on the grill.

Monty
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Very nice looking Monty!!

I do something similar to your chiefkabobs, but use red peppers, onions, and baby dutch yellow potatoes. Nice to have some starch in the mix, without making a side item (at least for me). Boil for 20 minutes, liberally coat with garlic salt, and they come out with a nice crispy exterior after being on the grill.

Thanks.

I like the idea of adding potatoes in the mix and will have to try that. :thumb:

unlurking
03-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Man, now I'm getting hungry!

Any good pork product for kabobs? The yellow peppers in your pic made me think of pineapples. I like sweet/salty type stuff, so I need to find something to go with the pineapple jones I now have!! Sirloin and green apple is one of my favs for sweet/salty because of the very light tartness.

dtebbe
03-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Get some very thin sliced beef liver and slip it in there between the other cuts. It's amazing!

DT

KCChiefsMan
03-27-2008, 10:01 PM

not unless you like your steak medium rare, which I do

Friendo
03-27-2008, 10:12 PM
ever used this?

State Fair Speedie Sauce (3 pack)

State Fair Speedie Sauce (3 pack)

Item Number: SFSB-86007
Unit Price: $10.99
Quantity

Refer this page to a friend

Detailed Description

Use it on steaks, pork chops, chicken breasts, lamb roasts, fish filets, mushrooms and for the ultimate sandwich, make up one inch cubes of your favorite meat, marinate overnight, then roast on an open fire with skewers , serve on a slice of Italian bread or small sub roll...and there you have a Spiedie Sandwich.