PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fighting expands to include kids

Deberg_1990
03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Funny, Apparantly Missouri is the only state in the nation that explicitly allows the youth fights.

Thoughts? I guess its a form of exercise....

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8VLPIPO2&show_article=1

CARTHAGE, Mo. (AP) - Ultimate fighting was once the sole domain of burly men who beat each other bloody in anything-goes brawls on pay-per-view TV.
But the sport often derided as "human cockfighting" is branching out.

The bare-knuckle fights are now attracting competitors as young as 6 whose parents treat the sport as casually as wrestling, Little League or soccer.

The changes were evident on a recent evening in southwest Missouri, where a team of several young boys and one girl grappled on gym mats in a converted garage.

Two members of the group called the "Garage Boys Fight Crew" touched their thin martial-arts gloves in a flash of sportsmanship before beginning a relentless exchange of sucker punches, body blows and swift kicks.

No blood was shed. And both competitors wore protective gear. But the bout reflected the decidedly younger face of ultimate fighting. The trend alarms medical experts and sports officials who worry that young bodies can't withstand the pounding.

Tommy Bloomer, father of two of the "Garage Boys," doesn't understand the fuss.

"We're not training them for dog fighting," said Bloomer, a 34-year- old construction contractor. "As a parent, I'd much rather have my kids here learning how to defend themselves and getting positive reinforcement than out on the streets."

Bloomer said the sport has evolved since the no-holds-barred days by adding weight classes to better match opponents and banning moves such as strikes to the back of the neck and head, groin kicking and head butting.

Missouri appears to be the only state in the nation that explicitly allows the youth fights. In many states, it is a misdemeanor for children to participate. A few states have no regulations.

Supporters of the sport acknowledge that allowing fights between kids sounds brutal at first. But they insist the competitions have plenty of safety rules.

"It looks violent until you realize this teaches discipline. One of the first rules they learn is that this is not for aggressive behavior outside (the ring)," said Larry Swinehart, a Joplin police officer and father of two boys and the lone girl in the garage group.

The sport, which is also known as mixed martial arts or cage fighting, has already spread far beyond cable television. Last month, CBS became the first of the Big Four television networks to announce a deal to broadcast primetime fights. The fights have attracted such a wide audience, they are threatening to surpass boxing as the nation's most popular pugilistic sport.

Hand-to-hand combat is also popping up on the big screen. The film "Never Back Down," described as "The Karate Kid" for the YouTube generation, has taken in almost $17 million in two weeks at the box office. Another current mixed martial arts movie, "Flash Point," an import from Hong Kong, is in limited release.

Bloomer said the fights are no more dangerous or violent than youth wrestling. He watched as his sons, 11-year-old Skyler and 8-year-old Gage, locked arms and legs and wrestled to the ground with other kids in the garage in Carthage, about 135 miles south of Kansas City.

The 11 boys and one girl on the team range from 6 to 14 years old and are trained by Rudy Lindsey, a youth wrestling coach and a professional mixed martial arts heavyweight.

"The kids learn respect and how to defend themselves. It's no more dangerous than any other sport and probably less so than some," Lindsey said.

Lindsey said the children wear protective headgear, shin guards, groin protection and martial-arts gloves. They fight quick, two-minute bouts. Rules also prohibit any elbow blows and blows to the head when an opponent is on the ground.

"If they get in trouble or get bad grades, I'll hear about it and they can't come to training," he added.

In most states, mixed martial arts is overseen by boxing commissions. In Missouri, the Office of Athletics regulates the professional fights but not the amateur events, which include the youth bouts. For amateurs, the regulation is done by sanctioning bodies that have to register with the athletics office.

The rules are different in Oklahoma, where unauthorized fights are generally a misdemeanor offense. The penalty is a maximum 30 days in jail and a fine up to $1,000.

Joe Miller, administrator of the Oklahoma Professional Boxing Commission, said youth fights are banned in his state, and he wants it to stay that way.

"There's too much potential for damage to growing joints," he said.

Miller said mixed martial arts uses a lot of arm and leg twisting to force opponents into submission. Those moves, he said, pressure joints in a way not found in sanctioned sports like youth boxing or wrestling.

But Nathan Orand, a martial arts trainer from Tulsa, Okla., said kids are capable of avoiding injuries, especially with watchful referees in the rings. He thinks the sport is bound to grow.

"I can see their point because when you say 'cage fighting,' that right there just sounds like kids shouldn't be doing it," Orand said.

"But you still have all the respect that regular martial arts teach you. And it's really the only true way for youth to be able to defend themselves."

Back in the Carthage garage, Bloomer said parents shouldn't worry about kids becoming aggressive from learning mixed martial arts. He said his older son was picked on by bullies at school repeatedly last year but never fought them, instead reporting the problem to his teachers.

And fighters including his 8-year-old son get along once a bout is over, Bloomer said.

"When they get out of the cage, they go back and play video games together. It doesn't matter who won and who lost. They're still little buddies."

The Franchise
03-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I just read this story.

I don't really know what to think. It equals out to sparring in karate, just with more freedom.

Tribal Warfare
03-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Hand-to-hand combat is also popping up on the big screen. The film "Never Back Down," described as "The Karate Kid" for the YouTube generation, has taken in almost $17 million in two weeks at the box office. Another current mixed martial arts movie, "Flash Point," an import from Hong Kong, is in limited release.

Who started laughing when they read this when they compared that POS movie to an 80's classic

raybec 4
03-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I just read this story.

I don't really know what to think. It equals out to sparring in karate, just with more freedom.

Exactly millions of parents have let their kids participate in Karate tournaments, boxing or jiu-jitsu what is wrong with combining them? These kids don't stand any more chance of getting hurt (if they are properly trained and supervised) than kids in youth wrestling or Mighty Might football.

Radar Chief
03-27-2008, 02:49 PM
You’d think if they were this concerned for peoples safety they’d go after boxing first but I guess there just isn’t as much sensationalism there as in a sport that’s comparatively new and not well understood.

Delano
03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Can't be as bad as those kids that support their parents and siblings by practicing Muay Thai in Asia.

JohninGpt
03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
That Dan Shamrock dude ought to be able to knock the snot out of your average eight year old.

The Franchise
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
On a much lighter note.....

Joe Rogan can finally compete in MMA........and win.

EyePod
03-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I just read this story.

I don't think that kids are allowed to spar until older (probably towards the 14 yrs old side of this spectrum). Plus, sparring is much more regulated.

Rain Man
03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Where do I sign up? I can fight kids.

eazyb81
03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
It's sounds awful on the surface, but assuming there is proper supervision and the kids are wearing adequate protective gear, I don't see how it's any different than kids wrestling, boxing, or in martial arts.

bogey
03-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I am hesitant about this. I visualize a bunch of over the top parents, driving their kids. It's very similar to stage Moms but with physical violence.

Demonpenz
03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
good, get the young guys some exersize and toughen them up a bit.

Valiant
03-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Who started laughing when they read this when they compared that POS movie to an 80's classic

After watching it, it is the MTV version of the Karate Kid..

Valiant
03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
After watching it, it is the MTV version of the Karate Kid..

Let me rephrase that.. After streaming it onto my monitor because nothing was on tv..

KcMizzou
03-27-2008, 05:28 PM
After watching it, it is the MTV version of the Karate Kid..Yeah, my first thought was that it looks like "The Fast and the Furious" with fighting instead of racing.

Deberg_1990
03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
I am hesitant about this. I visualize a bunch of over the top parents, driving their kids. It's very similar to stage Moms but with physical violence.

Agreed. I have visions of it turning into a scene simliar to this.

**WARNING* Harsh Language WARNING***

http://www.clipstr.com/videos/WorthlessParentsTapeTheirKidsFistFighting/

LiL stumppy
03-27-2008, 05:50 PM

This won't cause anything like that. Thats a result of bad parents, this wouldn't lead to anything like that IMO.

bogey
03-27-2008, 05:59 PM

Looks like Michael Vick has found a new sport. Kids beating on kids how exciting. JMO, any parents that get their kids involved in any kind of hand to hand combat, are doing it for themselves, not for the kids. May as well go out and get a pitt bull.

Sully
03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
3:38 mark...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lk1GZhI_B4A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lk1GZhI_B4A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Easy 6
03-27-2008, 06:07 PM
When i hear those words "kids & MMA" together...my first instinct is to recoil a little bit, it rings badly...until you think of the thousands of youth that compete in Full-Contact, sanctioned, martial arts across the country every day...karate, wrestling, judo etc.

As long as bogeys formentioned vicarious living, idiot, dads are kept in check by stringent rules, officiating & code of conduct, i dont see a problem...the repeated pounding of the head that boxing brings, is FAR worse, than MMA's quick KO's & submissions.

bogey
03-27-2008, 07:14 PM
When i hear those words "kids & MMA" together...my first instinct is to recoil a little bit, it rings badly...until you think of the thousands of youth that compete in Full-Contact, sanctioned, martial arts across the country every day...karate, wrestling, judo etc.

As long as bogeys formentioned vicarious living, idiot, dads are kept in check by stringent rules, officiating & code of conduct, i dont see a problem...the repeated pounding of the head that boxing brings, is FAR worse, than MMA's quick KO's & submissions.

I suppose you're right. My daughter took karate for a while but there wasn't any contact. I suppose if the sport is well managed by good instructors and parents, and there is plenty of protective gear... still, I fear many these kids are motivated by their parents to get involved, which is okay for a non-contact sport, not the MMA. But, oh well.

Bwana
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Looks like Michael Vick has found a new sport. Kids beating on kids how exciting. JMO, any parents that get their kids involved in any kind of hand to hand combat, are doing it for themselves, not for the kids. May as well go out and get a pitt bull.

:spock:

Oh bullshit........

I have spent 24 years in martial arts, hold two black belts, along with years of kick boxing and judo. It's all in what the instructor is about and how they teach the sport. It's not like they let them kick the hell out of each other until one is taken out of the ring on their death bed.

I have trained both of my kids and they know not to use it unless they get in a situation where there is no choice. 95% of the time, a person can just walk away. I DID NOT train them for "myself," I trained them for them.

From you post, I can tell you haven't spent much, if any, time in martial arts.

unlurking
03-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I stopped reading at "bare-knuckled" and "sucker punches".

Blatant bias leaking into the story, with obvious intent to color the readers opinion.

(At least that's what I'm assuming since I stopped reading.)

Also, who WASN'T sparring with gloves and head gear in karate classes as a kid?

KcMizzou
03-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Matt Serra on Fox News.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yU6zIxUCbL8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yU6zIxUCbL8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

It's not "Ultimate Fighting"! :mad: UFC is to mixed martial arts, as NFL is to football, or NBA is to basketball.

I thought Serra did a pretty decent job, considering.

KcMizzou
03-28-2008, 06:15 PM
:spock:

Oh bullshit........

I have spent 24 years in martial arts, hold two black belts, along with years of kick boxing and judo. It's all in what the instructor is about and how they teach the sport. It's not like they let them kick the hell out of each other until one is taken out of the ring on their death bed.

I have trained both of my kids and they know not to use it unless they get in a situation where there is no choice. 95% of the time, a person can just walk away. I DID NOT train them for "myself," I trained them for them.

From you post, I can tell you haven't spent much, if any, time in martial arts.Great post. :clap:

cdcox
03-28-2008, 06:18 PM
The dickificatioon of America continues.

MTG#10
03-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Whoever wrote that article is an idiot. He keeps referring to it as "Ultimate Fighting". Its called mixed martial arts, Ultimate Fighting is a brand name. Dumb****.

KcMizzou
03-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Whoever wrote that article is an idiot. He keeps referring to it as "Ultimate Fighting". Its called mixed martial arts, Ultimate Fighting is a brand name. Dumb****.Amen. That really annoys me.

Watch the youtube clip I posted, if you've got a sec. Matt Serra's take on it.

TinyEvel
03-29-2008, 12:43 AM
WTF ever happened to teaching chess? or backgammon or friggen model rocketry?

Easy 6
03-29-2008, 10:37 AM
I bet theres less serious injury from youth MMA than there is youth football...& nobody is up in arms over that.

If good headgear, gloves & other protection is used these kids will be fine...a big boost to their self-esteem...just like youth judo competitions were for me.

I do think the stoppage rules should be much tighter though, nobody wants to see some kid bleeding out like a hung deer, ala Oleg Taktarov etc.