PDA

View Full Version : In order, what are your top 5 REALISTIC hopes for the Chiefs 1st round pick?

OnTheWarpath15
03-28-2008, 03:56 PM
No offense Mr. Flopnuts, but anyone can hope and pray, stomp their feet and try to WILL Jake Long into falling to us, but that's not realistic.

Jake Long, Chris Long, McFadden and Ryan are all off the board.

NOW who are your 5, in order?

Archie Bunker
03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
1. Ellis
2. Dorsey
3. Gholston
4. Rodgers-Cromartie
5. Chris Williams

OnTheWarpath15
03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
1. Ellis
2. Dorsey
3. Gholston
4. Rodgers-Cromartie
5. Chris Williams

Looks like my list.

I just want to see what people will do when their security blankets are taken from them, which very likely will happen.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Looks like my list.

I just want to see what people will do when their security blankets are taken from them, which very likely will happen.

There is no way the server survives past the third pick. No way.

OnTheWarpath15
03-28-2008, 04:08 PM
There is no way the server survives past the third pick. No way.

:D

Chiefnj2
03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
If those guys are off:
1. Dorsey
2. Ellis
3. Mendenhall
4. Brohm
5. Harvey or Jenkins

The Franchise
03-28-2008, 05:40 PM
If those guys are off:
1. Dorsey
2. Ellis
3. Mendenhall
4. Brohm
5. Harvey or Jenkins

Holy what the hell?

Your first two are understandable but the last three are just dumb.

CupidStunt
03-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Dorsey
Ellis
Gholston
Otah
Williams

JBucc
03-28-2008, 06:13 PM
1. Dorsey
2. Ellis

I won't even list any more because if those two are there we'll pick one of them. Probably Dorsey since Herm obviously loves him.

Fish
03-28-2008, 06:17 PM
1. Dorsey
2. Ellis
3. Gholston
4. Rodgers-Cromartie
5. Keith Rivers

Deberg_1990
03-28-2008, 06:30 PM
REEEEEPPPOOOSSSTTTT

Good god, draft threads are so passe'

doomy3
03-28-2008, 06:32 PM
No offense Mr. Flopnuts, but anyone can hope and pray, stomp their feet and try to WILL Jake Long into falling to us, but that's not realistic.

Why is that? You know that those are going to be the top 4 picks???

bdeg
03-28-2008, 07:10 PM
1 Dorsey
2 Ellis
3 Trade down
4 Gholston

That is all.

Overall would be:

Dorsey
Ellis
Chris Long
Jake Long
Trade down
Gholston

Chiefnj2
03-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Holy what the hell?

Your first two are understandable but the last three are just dumb.

I think Mendenhall is the best back, Brohm the best QB, Jenkins the best CB and I like Harvey more than Gholston.

The Franchise
03-28-2008, 07:55 PM
I think Mendenhall is the best back, Brohm the best QB, Jenkins the best CB and I like Harvey more than Gholston.

Ok...well it's a little bit more easy to take when you explain it.

OnTheWarpath15
03-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Why is that? You know that those are going to be the top 4 picks???

Do I KNOW they are gonna be gone before 5?

No.

Is it a pretty fair assumption that most/all of them will be?

Damn right.

And had you actually read the thread, I wanted to see how people responded when they didn't have their security blankets (Long and Ryan) to choose from - which, as mentioned is a very realistic possibility come April 26th.

doomy3
03-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Do I KNOW they are gonna be gone before 5?

No.

Is it a pretty fair assumption that most/all of them will be?

Damn right.

And had you actually read the thread, I wanted to see how people responded when they didn't have their security blankets (Long and Ryan) to choose from - which, as mentioned is a very realistic possibility come April 26th.

There's at least as good of a chance that Dorsey will be gone as there is that McFadden or Ryan

Mr. Flopnuts
03-29-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't think anyone really knows who's going where, when. This year more than most, there is no CLEAR CUT #1 pick out there. Personally, I think it's safe to say both Longs are gone before we pick. Other than that, I think it's pretty fair game, and you never know. I didn't think Derrick Johnson would fall to us either. Being at #5, nothing is impossible.

KCChiefsMan
03-29-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't think it's completely far-fetched that Jake Long will be there at 5

Mr. Flopnuts
03-29-2008, 01:49 AM
I don't think it's completely far-fetched that Jake Long will be there at 5

I believe it's Charles Davis at NFL Network has us taking him in his mock.

milkman
03-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Brandon Albert
Chilo Rachal
Eric Young
Drew Radovich
Jeremy Zuttah

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Brandon Albert
Chilo Rachal
Eric Young
Drew Radovich
Jeremy Zuttah

LMAO

milkman
03-29-2008, 07:14 AM
LMAO

OK.

Here's my real top 5.

Dorsey
Ellis
Gholston
Williams
Rogers-Cromartie

I put Williams ahead of RC, because, in the end, I value OT more than CB, by a wide margin.

RedThat
03-29-2008, 09:37 AM

If all those guys were gone by the time we pick, it's a no brainer, you go with Dorsey.

Without a doubt, imo, he is the best player in this draft. I'd be ecstatic if we got him.

I don't really have a 5 in order after those guys you mentioned would be gone when the Chiefs pick. But I do like at first choice dorsey, ellis, and then Gholston.

Brock
03-29-2008, 09:39 AM
If all those guys were gone by the time we pick, it's a no brainer, you go with Dorsey.

Without a doubt, imo, he is the best player in this draft. I'd be ecstatic if we got him.

I don't really have a 5 in order after those guys you mentioned would be gone when the Chiefs pick. But I do like at first choice dorsey, ellis, and then Gholston.

But what a bout Broooooodiiiiiiieeeeeeee???

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2008, 09:42 AM
But what a bout Broooooodiiiiiiieeeeeeee???

ROFL

raypec85
03-29-2008, 01:14 PM
1. Dorsey
2. Ellis
3. trade down
4. Clady / Albert
5. McKelvin

ChiefsCountry
03-29-2008, 01:55 PM
1. Jake Long
2. Chris Williams
3. Ryan Clady
4. Jeff Otah
5. Sam Baker

:)

Chief Roundup
03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Dorsey
Ellis
Gholston
Trade Down
Clady
Rivers

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 05:17 PM

I'm curious as to why you think McFadden and Ryan are gone @ 5? I have heard that the Cowgirls aren't willing to trade up into the top 5 to grab McFadden, if the Jets don't take him @ 6 he could fall all the way to 13 where Carolina has a RB need

Oakland doesn't need a RB and likely won't draft him and I guarantee that the Chiefs will draft offense with the first pick, Herm has already said they built up the D last year this year the focus will be on Offense as it rightly should be

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm curious as to why you think McFadden and Ryan are gone @ 5? I have heard that the Cowgirls aren't willing to trade up into the top 5 to grab McFadden, if the Jets don't take him @ 6 he could fall all the way to 13 where Carolina has a RB need

Oakland doesn't need a RB and likely won't draft him and I guarantee that the Chiefs will draft offense with the first pick, Herm has already said they built up the D last year this year the focus will be on Offense as it rightly should be

Have you paid ANY attention as to how Oakland has drafted in the past?

Don't think for a SECOND that Justin Fargas is going to stand in the way of Al Davis picking McFadden if he wants him.

And "focusing on the offense" doesn't necessarily mean using a 1st round pick on that side of the ball.

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Have you paid ANY attention as to how Oakland has drafted in the past?

Don't think for a SECOND that Justin Fargas is going to stand in the way of Al Davis picking McFadden if he wants him.

And "focusing on the offense" doesn't necessarily mean using a 1st round pick on that side of the ball.

yeah I have and I know Davis is a freakin nutty bar but I still don't think they take him

I disagree with your second assesment...we need an IMPACT player on offense the type you find in the first round of the draft in particular an OL or QB...I just have a hard time seeing Clark or Herm being happy with a DT in the first if a OT or QB is available and rated for the #5 pick

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 05:36 PM
To take it a step further just look at who we have on D that are/could be impact players

Allen
DJ
Hali
Harris
Edwards
McBride
Tyler

OTOH on Offense

LJ
Bowe
TG

milkman
03-29-2008, 05:41 PM
To take it a step further just look at who we have on D that are/could be impact players

Allen
DJ
Hali
Harris
Edwards
McBride
Tyler

OTOH on Offense

LJ
Bowe
TG

Edwards?

He's 35 years old, and has never been an impact player.

Nap Harris?

LMAO

I'm not even going to address the other guys on your list.

Can I have some of your drugs?

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Edwards?

Nap Harris?

LMAO

Edwards is an impact player whether you want to admit it or not...perhaps you would prefer Key fox back? Harris, McBride, and Tyler were brought in to be "impact" players and to throw them out with the bath water is taking a step backwards, to draft a DT/DE in the first round is to do exactly that

Mecca
03-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Edwards?

Nap Harris?

LMAO

That list is exactly the problem around here, they think some of those D players who suck are good.

Either that or they legit are thinking of this offseason like every other one "a few players at some need spots and we can go 9-7"

milkman
03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Edwards is an impact player whether you want to admit it or not...perhaps you would prefer Key fox back? Harris, McBride, and Tyler were brought in to be "impact" players and to throw them out with the bath water is taking a step backwards

If by "impact" you mean riding a ballcarrier like a rodeo cowboy until the clowns show up to help him, then yeah, he's impact.

And players drafted in the second and third round aren't brought in to be impact players.

You hope to find quality starters.

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 05:47 PM
That list is exactly the problem around here, they think some of those D players who suck are good.

Either that or they legit are thinking of this offseason like every other one "a few players at some need spots and we can go 9-7"

So by drafting one player we can magically transform all these "sucky" players? Why don't we just draft a DT in the first and give away all of the rest of our draft picks because no matter who we draft if they don't play in the pro-bowl their first year they will be a "bust"

Mecca
03-29-2008, 05:50 PM
That's a nice way to take it to the extreme......

It was simply being pointed out to you that Donnie Edwards is old as hell and Nap Harris is a scrub.

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 05:52 PM
If by "impact" you mean riding a ballcarrier like a rodeo cowboy until the clowns show up to help him, then yeah, he's impact.

And players drafted in the second and third round aren't brought in to be impact players.

You hope to find quality starters.

At least they get to the ball carrier thank you Mr. Bell.....seriously we need help on Offense you can't win games if you can't score points and who exactly is helping with that? So we have quality starters why do we need change that? why fix what isn't broke, yeah yeah yeah Tyler and McBride didn't make the pro bowl last year BFD we gave Sims how many years? Can we give these guys at least 2?

Mecca
03-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Defensive lineman rotate, you need atleast 6 in todays game.....

The Chiefs are not going to be a good team next year regardless of who they draft there is no player on this team that should stop them from drafting someone, you know why? Most of the guys they have that are competent are so old by the time the team is in position to do anything they'll be gone.

This is about rebuilding the entire team, not making the offense decent to match the decent defense to hope to sneak into the playoffs and get raped.

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 05:56 PM
This is about rebuilding the entire team

Exactly not just the defense

milkman
03-29-2008, 05:58 PM
At least they get to the ball carrier thank you Mr. Bell.....seriously we need help on Offense you can't win games if you can't score points and who exactly is helping with that? So we have quality starters why do we need change that? why fix what isn't broke, yeah yeah yeah Tyler and McBride didn't make the pro bowl last year BFD we gave Sims how many years? Can we give these guys at least 2?

So your definition of impact is "Better than sucks ass"?

No one is saying that we're done with Turk and Tank.

But if you think the defense is set, then we're wasting keystroke.

Mecca
03-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Are you aware that about 7 or 8 of the top 10 players in this draft are defensive players?

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2008, 06:16 PM
This is about rebuilding the entire team.

There's not a position on this team that couldn't be upgraded int he draft with the exception of the Punter.

And yes, that means DE too.....

Take the best player available. He'll fit a need.

milkman
03-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Are you aware that about 7 or 8 of the top 10 players in this draft are defensive players?

When you think that Donnie Edwards is an impact player, and that you draft players in the second and third rounds to be impact players, you're lucky to be aware that there is a difference between offensive and defensive players.

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2008, 06:27 PM
When you think that Donnie Edwards is an impact player, and that you draft players in the second and third rounds to be impact players, you're lucky to be aware that there is a difference between offensive and defensive players.

LMAO

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 06:35 PM
There's not a position on this team that couldn't be upgraded int he draft with the exception of the Punter.

And yes, that means DE too.....

Take the best player available. He'll fit a need.

Why would DE need upgrading?

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 06:36 PM

nyuk nyuk nyuk:rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Why would DE need upgrading?

I guess if you're happy with above average from your LDE, and have no concerns about your RDE being given a year-long vacation, then by all means, everything is fine.

Until you consider that they are the ONLY TWO DE'S ON THE ROSTER.

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I guess if you're happy with above average from your LDE, and have no concerns about your RDE being given a year-long vacation, then by all means, everything is fine.

Until you consider that they are the ONLY TWO DE'S ON THE ROSTER.

SO you could find a DE in the 2nd round on no? Or are you really concerned that CP will let JA walk and Hali will never develop into a high caliber player?

keg in kc
03-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Virtually all of the team's high picks since 2000 have gone to the defense. That fact is one of the reasons they absolutely have to start to focus some attention on the offense, and they have to get production out of the players drafted from 2005-2007 that are still with the squad. The lesson the franchise still apparently hasn't learned from Marty/Gun and Vermeil's tenures is that you'd can't continually focus on one side of the ball while the other falls apart. Which is exactly what the team will be doing if they continue to try and stack the defense in this draft. That doesn't mean they should take no defensive players, that doesn't mean taking a defensive player first would be a bad idea if he's clearly the best on the board, but if they walk out of the '08 draft without addressing multiple offensive needs with significant picks (read: not 6th and 7th rounders, their m.o. most of the last decade), then, in my opinion, it's a sign that we have very little hope when it comes to the future direction of this franchise. You can't keep drafting that way, focusing the key picks on the same side of the ball (or the same positions, even, in the case of DT) year in and year out, eventually you have to move on to other areas of need. I think it's that time now.

Because the defense is young and talented. It's the unit which is at the point where you it has a core, Allen, Hali (as a first round pick, he has to be key..), DJ, Pollard (like Hali, as a high pick, he has to be there), McBride, guys like those are what we build around. Now, and '09, are the time to use free agency to fill the holes that remain.

The offense is at the other end of the spectrum, it's long-in-the-tooth and has very little in terms of up-and-coming talent. You can name all the late-round linemen you want, but those guys will not be the kind of impact players that you build a unit around. All the offense has for the future at this point is LJ and Bowe. The entire o-line needs to be rebuilt, there's no established QB (unless Croyle comes through, which most people seem to doubt) and there's no real depth at any position, with the possible exception of RB (and even that's debatable). The core of that unit, which atm is Bowe and LJ, needs to be strengthened, and the draft is the way they should do that.

That's why I say 2 of the 3 picks in rounds 1-3 should be offense, depending on how the board falls, and the focus should continue to be on offense in rounds 4 and 5. The last two rounds? Take whatever falls to you.

I just hope that Herm can contain himself, and not let his defensive mindset overwhelm the needs of the team.

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2008, 06:42 PM
SO you could find a DE in the 2nd round on no? Or are you really concerned that CP will let JA walk and Hali will never develop into a high caliber player?

What if the BPA in the 1st round is a DE?

Never mind, I already know the answer. Trade down.

:doh!:

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Virtually all of the team's high picks since 2000 have gone to the defense. That fact is one of the reasons they absolutely have to start to focus some attention on the offense, and they have to get production out of the players drafted from 2005-2007 that are still with the squad. The lesson the franchise still apparently hasn't learned from Marty/Gun and Vermeil's tenures is that you'd can't continually focus on one side of the ball while the other falls apart. Which is exactly what the team will be doing if they continue to try and stack the defense in this draft. That doesn't mean they should take no defensive players, that doesn't mean taking a defensive player first would be a bad idea if he's clearly the best on the board, but if they walk out of the '08 draft without addressing multiple offensive needs with significant picks (read: not 6th and 7th rounders, their m.o. most of the last decade), then, in my opinion, it's a sign that we have very little hope when it comes to the future direction of this franchise. You can't keep drafting that way, focusing the key picks on the same side of the ball (or the same positions, even, in the case of DT) year in and year out, eventually you have to move on to other areas of need. I think it's that time now.

Because the defense is young and talented. It's the unit which is at the point where you it has a core, Allen, Hali (as a first round pick, he has to be key..), DJ, Pollard (like Hali, as a high pick, he has to be there), McBride, guys like those are what we build around. Now, and '09, are the time to use free agency to fill the holes that remain.

The offense is at the other end of the spectrum, it's long-in-the-tooth and has very little in terms of up-and-coming talent. You can name all the late-round linemen you want, but those guys will not be the kind of impact players that you build a unit around. All the offense has for the future at this point is LJ and Bowe. The entire o-line needs to be rebuilt, there's no established QB (unless Croyle comes through, which most people seem to doubt) and there's no real depth at any position, with the possible exception of RB (and even that's debatable). The core of that unit, which atm is Bowe and LJ, needs to be strengthened, and the draft is the way they should do that.

That's why I say 2 of the 3 picks in rounds 1-3 should be offense, depending on how the board falls, and the focus should continue to be on offense in rounds 4 and 5. The last two rounds? Take whatever falls to you.

I just hope that Herm can contain himself, and not let his defensive mindset overwhelm the needs of the team.

I agree...wait you must not know the difference between Offense and Defense :rolleyes:

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 06:47 PM
What if the BPA in the 1st round is a DE?

Never mind, I already know the answer. Trade down.

:doh!:

Oh hell no...I do not think we will trade down and I hope to god we don't.....what if the BPA is McFadden?

keg in kc
03-29-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree...wait you must not know the difference between Offense and DefenseNo, no, I don't watch the games.

Get the lexicon right, noob.

Tribal Warfare
03-29-2008, 06:50 PM
what if the BPA is McFadden?

Take him, LJ isn't a sure thing anymore

DenverChief
03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
No, no, I don't watch the games.

LMAO...I'll catch up later off to work

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2008, 06:55 PM
I agree...wait you must not know the difference between Offense and Defense :rolleyes:

Right.

People are so quick to say that the defense is young and talented, when in all actuality, the there are question marks at 8/11 positions. Allen, Hali and DJ are the only young talented players we KNOW we have.

We're HOPING that Turk, Pollard, etc end up being talented because of the pick we used.

Yet those same people are dismissing that players like Herb Taylor or Rudy Niswanger could be talented players, just because of the round they were drafted in.

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Oh hell no...I do not think we will trade down and I hope to god we don't.....what if the BPA is McFadden?

You you really think that this franchise has McFadden rated as a Top 5 player in this draft?

I don't.

Brock
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Well Donnie Edwards is only like 35 I'm sure he'll play another 10 years we don't need any linebackers besides we already have DemOreo Wilson or whoever.

milkman
03-29-2008, 07:09 PM
No, no, I don't watch the games.

I think he was refencing this.

He clearly doesn't understand the difference between a well thought out, reasoned post and a moronic post.

keg in kc
03-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Right.

People are so quick to say that the defense is young and talented, when in all actuality, the there are question marks at 8/11 positions. Allen, Hali and DJ are the only young talented players we KNOW we have.

We're HOPING that Turk, Pollard, etc end up being talented because of the pick we used.

Yet those same people are dismissing that players like Herb Taylor or Rudy Niswanger could be talented players, just because of the round they were drafted in.Don't blame it on me, blame it on the Chiefs, because they're the ones who deemed Turk and Tank and Pollard more talented, more valuable than Taylor or Niswanger or any other late-round or undrafted player on roster when they spent second round picks on them. Those guys are expected to do more and they'll be given more opportunities to succeed or fail. They will be part of the Chiefs plans for the future, regardless of what you or I or anybody else think or hope or pray or predict. That's reality, like it or not; it's the way the game works, and we'd better use some of that hoping and praying towards their success, because the franchise can't afford many more misses.

Now, I hope we get something out of Taylor or Niswanger or Stallings but those guys have a higher stair to climb, and the odds of any of them, much less all off them developing, not into pro bowlers but simple role players, is limited at best. There's only so many stories like Brian Waters; 99% of those guys wash out. And don't get me wrong, I'd like to think they'll have a role on the team, some of them, but it may not be as starters. It's more likely that they're the next generation of Bobers. Important depth and special teams contributors, which is also key to the success of a franchise.

Let's put it another way. There's two players on the board when we pick in the second round (I think the first round's a different beast, it's almost completely BAA in my book). One of them's an OT with a good pedigree that will be counted on to start. One of them's a DE to join the rotation behind Allen and Hali. Everything else being equal, talent-wise, which one does this team really need more, depth for the d-line, or a starting tackle, neither pick a reach? Say we're in the third round, and the same sort of situation pops up, and one of the top guards is on the board (remember we have no starting right guard on the roster right now), as well as, let's say, a linebacker. Who do you go with?

Me, I'm going to be disappointed if those two picks don't go OT and OG. Now, I'm not talking about reaching for a 5th round OT in the second and a 6th round G in the third, I'm talking about players at the top of our draft board in a mix with other players at other positions. I think, when talent or ranking or however you want to classify it is equal, you have to turn to what will help the team more, with an eye on both the present and the future.

Needless to say, there's no guarantee those situations arise. It's just as likely, in terms of raw odds, that there isn't an OG or OT there that's of the right value, and that makes things more difficult. Then you have to decide things like whether a 2nd CB is more valuable to the team than a 2nd WR.

We talk like this is simple, but the draft's rarely cut-and-dried...

keg in kc
03-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I think he was refencing this.Don't get me started on Donnie "drag queen" Edward$.

Hey, I kind of like that. Drag queen. I don't know why I didn't think of that years ago.

keg in kc
03-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Let's do the time warp again.

Chiefnj2
03-29-2008, 08:27 PM

You continue to make no sense. You say the team has holes all over and you want Herm to build through the draft. Then, you throw a hissy fit when someone opines the team take a quality OL, and you claim that every defensive player that Herm drafts and brings in sucks - Tyler, McBride, Pollard, Page, they all need to be upgraded.

It won't make a damn bit of difference if Herm takes "your" guy (Ellis) in the first round if all of his past choices and future non-Mecca choices bust. It won't matter if Jake Long or Ellis are playing if his draft class from the last two years don't develop. Why would you advociate that Herm continue to take defense if those guys are going to be as bad as you say all his other picks have been?

Dallas Chief
03-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Gholston
Dorsey
Ellis
Williams
Rogers-Cromartie

That Gholston kid seems like a total freak! I think we could use some of that unpredictability roaming the field...

CanadaKC
03-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Also agree with Gholston...we need something remotely close to the reincarnation of DT....then Jake Long...fills a glaring need....then Dorsey, Ellis,
and Ryan.

melbar
03-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Seriously, nobody was freaking out about Gholston till they saw his biceps at the combine, suddenly he's the second coming of DT? Unless he lands in a 3-4 with a coach that can get all of his potential out of him, nobody is going to be talking about him by the end of this season. I'll be happy to eat my words if I and the professional scouts who doubt this kid are wrong. He may turn out great, so might Campbell, or Merling. He wasnt considered elite till the combine, and that scares me a little. Especially if its the Chiefs taking a situational player who will be in a rotation in a scheme that wouldnt be his strong point.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Seriously, nobody was freaking out about Gholston till they saw his biceps at the combine, suddenly he's the second coming of DT? Unless he lands in a 3-4 with a coach that can get all of his potential out of him, nobody is going to be talking about him by the end of this season. I'll be happy to eat my words if I and the professional scouts who doubt this kid are wrong. He may turn out great, so might Campbell, or Merling. He wasnt considered elite till the combine, and that scares me a little. Especially if its the Chiefs taking a situational player who will be in a rotation in a scheme that wouldnt be his strong point.

Are you kidding?

Gholston's been a Top 6 pick since the CFB season ended.

melbar
03-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Are you kidding?

Gholston's been a Top 6 pick since the CFB season ended.

I havent seen him ranked in the top 5 ANYWHERE. Maybe now that the workout is done, but he's anywhere from the #1 DE to the #5 DE. Lots of knocks on him and his effort on gameday. He has been ranked top 10. I guess I feel about him the same way some feel about Long, but Long is the consensus #1 in a very strong class and will play every down. Gholston has been ranked #1 recently, but is useually #2 in an average DE class. We probably wont have a chance at Long because he's that well regarded. I'm not the only one who doesnt like VG.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2008, 01:32 PM
I havent seen him ranked in the top 5 ANYWHERE. Maybe now that the workout is done, but he's anywhere from the #1 DE to the #5 DE. Lots of knocks on him and his effort on gameday. He has been ranked top 10. I guess I feel about him the same way some feel about Long, but Long is the consensus #1 in a very strong class and will play every down. Gholston has been ranked #1 recently, but is useually #2 in an average DE class. We probably wont have a chance at Long because he's that well regarded. I'm not the only one who doesnt like VG.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2008DE.php

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/protected/archive/2008DRAFT/2008profiles/Vernon.Gholston.htm

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2008

2 have him as the 5th best player, 2 have him as the 6th best player.

NONE of them have questioned his motor.

melbar
03-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Right.

Yet those same people are dismissing that players like Herb Taylor or Rudy Niswanger could be talented players, just because of the round they were drafted in.

I agree. I think the only reason the trade down with Dallas sounds appealing is that we do need so much talent and there are several positions of need for us that are fairly deep. Of course how often do we have a chance at a top talent in the draft?

melbar
03-30-2008, 02:17 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2008DE.php

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/protected/archive/2008DRAFT/2008profiles/Vernon.Gholston.htm

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2008

2 have him as the 5th best player, 2 have him as the 6th best player.

NONE of them have questioned his motor.

You have some there. I noticed walters has moved him up as most have since the combine workout.

"Sporting News:
#5 DE Vernon Gholston
Shows flashes of being a solid run stuffer, but is inconsistent and gets swallowed up by big blockers. Struggles to maintain leverage on the corner, seems to only want to rush upfield. Takes plays off.

Seems locked in on rushing the passer and is slow to react to the run. Rarely moves well laterally to chase plays, laboring down the lineunless the ballcarrier comes back to him. Even when keying on the run, he struggles to help much and will blow conainment assignments.

Is slow in pursuit and does not hustle to the opposite sideline. When focused, he was a dominant college player, but oftendisappeared in games. is a good tackler when playing hard, but is inconsistent.
Can dominate some games and totally disappear in others. Many NFL teams will be wary of his inconsistent effort and focus. Should be used only as a pass-rush specialist for a year of two as he develops. "

Athons has him as #7 overall.

I had to type this all which is a long process for my typing skills... I can find just as many who have his listed lower than 5. Listen I'm not saying he's not top 10, but I really dont think he's a great fit for KC. Dorsey, Ellis, Long, great! I'm just not sold on a late riser who needs to work on areas of his game in top five.

melbar
03-30-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm not able for some reason to list more than 1 link, but when searching top 100 picks heres what I got right down the line.

Freepress.com #7
NFLDraftdow.com #7
Football.about #7
FFToolbox #7
Collegefootball.Rivals #22
Consensusdraft #3
NFLdraft.rivals #9
Postgameheros.com #9
Sportsline.com #5
Mike Mayock #7

Dont have a subscription for Kiper...

Like I said Really good player with a lot of potential, I just dont see him as a great choice for us. Long, Long, Dorsey, Ellis, Ryan are all better choices. Personally I'd take Clady over Gholston if we're waiting for potential, cause we're gonna suck this year anyway, and he's listed as one or 2 spots below Gholston on most drafts and would make a greater long term impact on this team.IMO

Stryker
03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Ellis
Dorsey
Gholston
Williams
Rogers-Cromartie

Vaspar
04-05-2008, 11:11 PM
1. Ellis
2. Otah
3. McKelvin
4. Albert
5. Gholston

Ellis is too good to pass up, and would make our defensive front four one of the elite in the league. Otah is a reach, but we desperately need to solidify our OT position, can be picked later in round one if trade down is possible, Albert is shooting up the charts lately, and even if we address OT in rd 2 getting a stud OG who may be able to move to OT would also be filling a need and be one of the building blocks for a solid OL for years to come. McKelvin may be the best CB on the board and addresses our need to replace Law/Surtain. Gholston is a major talent, but somewhat of a tweener at this juncture, and with Allen and Hali already established, not an immediate need.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2008, 12:01 AM
I was just thinking it's gonna be fun this year with the fifth pick. A lot of anxiety and sweating for a half hour before the Chiefs pick their next bust.

ChiefsCountry
04-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Dorsey
Ellis
Gholston
Rogers-Cromatrie
Chris Williams

Tribal Warfare
04-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Dorsey
Ellis
Chris Long
Vernon Gholston
McFadden

chiefscafan
04-06-2008, 12:53 PM
ok onthewarpath58 I'll take a stab at it

1. DT Glen dorsey
2. trade down get albert or otah
3. DT Sedrick Ellis
4. LB/DE Vernon Gohlston
5. OT/OG Albert we aren't going anywhere we have time for a project

chiefscafan
04-06-2008, 12:58 PM
My dream scenario would be if mcfadden was there we trade to dallas for their two firsts and second

then take whoever is there between Albert, Otah or Williams, second first we get Dan Oconnor from penn state. first our second take Brian Brohm . Then with second dallas pick take OT< WR/KR, CB.

To me I'd finally be positive about this team again.

chiefscafan
04-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I mean imagine a linebacking core of the future of Williams OConnor and JOhnson now that would be scary.