PDA

View Full Version : Brian Johnston DE -Gardner Webb

Tribal Warfare
03-28-2008, 09:28 PM
<table align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000066" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="660"><tbody><tr><td background="http://spamdraft.com/v3/w4.jpg" height="20">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td background="http://spamdraft.com/v3/d43.jpg"><table align="center" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 2px dashed rgb(207, 217, 239);" height="80" valign="top" width="32%">Overview
</td> <td style="border: 2px dashed rgb(207, 217, 239);" valign="top" width="68%">Brian Johnston 2007 is the Big South Defensive Player of the Year: just the second repeat winner of the Big South Defensive Player of the Year award, as he was the 2006 honoree. Johnston was a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award and was the lone FCS player named to the Ted Hendricks National Defensive End of the Year Award Watch List this season. Johnston led the Big South and finished second nationally in tackles-for-loss per game (2.18), and posted a Big South single-season record of 24.0 TFL. He also recorded six sacks (second in the Conference) while making 74 tackles on the season. He had seven games with at least 2.0 TFL, including five games with three-or-more, and had 12.5 TFL in four League games. He is a promising prospect with above average size, strength and upfield explosiveness. Is the best defensive prospect in the conference and could be as good or better than Justin Smith if he maxes out.
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border: 2px dashed rgb(207, 217, 239);" height="98" valign="top">Strengths
</td> <td style="border: 2px dashed rgb(207, 217, 239);" valign="top">Good sized DE, has decent athletic ability. Good against the run and pass. Good enough athlete to have started as a Frosh at SLB, and caught a 3 yard touchdown pass this season. Has benched 450, squatted 505,
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border: 2px dashed rgb(207, 217, 239);" height="87" valign="top">Weaknesses
</td> <td style="border: 2px dashed rgb(207, 217, 239);" valign="top">Has been able to use raw strength and speed to overwhelm opponents, he does not have a polished array of moves. Has short arms. 31.75 inches, for such a rangy athlete and needs to work on getting underneath the quicker footed OTs he'll face at the next level.
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border: 2px dashed rgb(207, 217, 239);" height="89" valign="top">Projection
</td> <td style="border: 2px dashed rgb(207, 217, 239);" valign="top">A possible 6th or even a 5th rounder. If he can get stronger and keep his speed and quickness he could be a real find on day 2. It's not impossible a team could try him as a 3-4 OLB but he is not used to being in space.
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Tribal Warfare
03-28-2008, 09:29 PM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

Josh Buchanan is reporting former Gardner-Webb defensive end Brian Johnston (http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46169&SPID=4160&DB_OEM_ID=10300&ATCLID=1150862&Q_SEASON=2007) is creating a huge buzz among N.F.L. teams. One A.F.C. franchise has told him they hope he is still around when they select early in the 4th round. Josh informs us that the teams showing the most covert interest in Johnston include Green Bay, Kansas City, Miami, Tennessee, Dallas and the New York Jets.

SBK
03-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Man, I was hoping we'd grab an OT with our first 4 picks, so hopefully he's there in round 5.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2008, 02:00 AM
We need to use all 10 picks on the o-line and kicker.

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2008, 01:34 AM
http://draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

Gardner-Webb defensive end Brian Johnston could go as high as the third round. I have heard many scouts from 4-3 teams say they absolutely love him. Few know this, but his 10 yard split at his Pro Day was the same as Darren McFadden's. Also, his Pro Day shuttle time bested every defensive lineman and running back at the Combine in Indianapolis! I think Rashard Mendenhall may've tied his number, but the dude is a freak. I know a lot teams think he could be the next Aaron Kampman or Jared Allen.

DD.comment: We'd like to thank this anonymous N.F.L. source for all the great tidbits and opinions he's given us since the 2007 Combine. Also, DD.com friend/ contributor Josh Buchanan has told us former Gardner-Webb star Brian Johnston is drawing very heavy interest from Tennessee, Kansas City and the N.E. Patriots. Tennessee has a coach that went to Gardner-Webb so they know a lot about him.

BigRock
04-21-2008, 02:24 AM
DRAFT HIM, HERM

The Franchise
04-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Say hello to our new 2nd round pick.

Zouk
04-21-2008, 08:47 PM
His 10 yard split of 1.51 is better than any DE that attended the combine (where the leaders were Vernon Gholston, Chris Long and Jeremy Thompson who all tied at 1.53). I've heard the 10 yard split is a very good predictor of pass rush potential.

Here's an interview:

http://www.tfydraftpreview.com/news.php?newsID=129

Q: Have you been flown into any NFL team facilities for private interviews and workouts?

Brian Johnston: Yeah, I just got back from a three-team tour; I guess you would call it. I visited with the Seattle Seahawks, Jacksonville Jaguars and then the Kansas City Chiefs. And after all those visits, I am starting to feel like Kansas City has been the most interested in me up to this point.

stlchiefs
04-21-2008, 08:49 PM
His 10 yard split of 1.51 is better than any DE that attended the combine (where the leaders were Vernon Gholston, Chris Long and Jeremy Thompson who all tied at 1.53). I've heard the 10 yard split is a very good predictor of pass rush potential.

Here's an interview:

http://www.tfydraftpreview.com/news.php?newsID=129

Q: Have you been flown into any NFL team facilities for private interviews and workouts?

Brian Johnston: Yeah, I just got back from a three-team tour; I guess you would call it. I visited with the Seattle Seahawks, Jacksonville Jaguars and then the Kansas City Chiefs. And after all those visits, I am starting to feel like Kansas City has been the most interested in me up to this point.

Looking for the next J. Allen in the 4th round? I'm not against using a 4th on a small school kid with good numbers. It wouldn't be the worst pick Carl ever made.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I picked him up in the CP Mock draft in the late rounds.

Zouk
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Looking for the next J. Allen in the 4th round? I'm not against using a 4th on a small school kid with good numbers. It wouldn't be the worst pick Carl ever made.

Could easily be the 3rd. That's what draft daddy's source (linked above) is hearing amongst NFL scouts about where he might be taken.

patteeu
04-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Could easily be the 3rd. That's what draft daddy's source (linked above) is hearing amongst NFL scouts about where he might be taken.

I bet they don't see him going at the top of the 3rd though.

Zouk
04-22-2008, 08:22 AM
I bet they don't see him going at the top of the 3rd though.

Why? There's clearly a lot of interest out there for this guy. The highest non-combine invite pick last year was Usama Young at the 2nd pick of the 3rd round. I don't see why this guy won't go around that time.

During the pre-draft press conference someone asked Kuharick about small school players. He talked about how most were there for academic reasons but that there was 1 guy they had in for a visit that the big schools just flat out messed up on. Based on his story, I think this is that guy. He was set to go to a big school but the coach retired and he got lost in the shuffle. Then he dominated the small school level, the college all star game he was invited to, and in workouts.

patteeu
04-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Why? There's clearly a lot of interest out there for this guy. The highest non-combine invite pick last year was Usama Young at the 2nd pick of the 3rd round. I don't see why this guy won't go around that time.

During the pre-draft press conference someone asked Kuharick about small school players. He talked about how most were there for academic reasons but that there was 1 guy they had in for a visit that the big schools just flat out messed up on. Based on his story, I think this is that guy. He was set to go to a big school but the coach retired and he got lost in the shuffle. Then he dominated the small school level, the college all star game he was invited to, and in workouts.

It's just my opinion about what they're saying in the article you referenced. It sounded to me more like they expected him to attract 3rd or 4th round interest which leads me to believe they'd expect it later in the 3rd rather than earlier. :shrug:

Tribal Warfare
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
During the pre-draft press conference someone asked Kuharick about small school players. He talked about how most were there for academic reasons but that there was 1 guy they had in for a visit that the big schools just flat out messed up on. Based on his story, I think this is that guy. He was set to go to a big school but the coach retired and he got lost in the shuffle.

I concur, and I definitely believe he's in KC's crosshairs.

Raiderh8ter77
04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
more impressing than some of the other guys

Direckshun
04-27-2008, 03:00 PM
FTW.

Marco Polo
04-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Impressive, Herm.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-27-2008, 03:32 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3V-iq4Es_uA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3V-iq4Es_uA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, that was great value.

CrazyPhuD
04-28-2008, 04:24 AM
More tidbits...

Gardner-Webb product Brian Johnston, a rising prospect for this April's NFL Draft, wowed scouts at his first workout Saturday. Working out at San Diego State for a handful of NFL scouts, Johnston showed exactly why he is one of the top defensive end prospects heading into April's annual draft. Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 274 pounds, Johnston ran his first 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds. Johnston's 40-yard dash time would have been the fourth best at the NFL combine for defensive ends, and the best for any lineman weighing more than 260 pounds. Johnston's most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas' running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year. Johnston pulled off an impressive 35-inch vertical leap as well on Saturday, which would have ranked second among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine - and best for a player of his size. The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston's time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL's Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event - with Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time. - Shelby Star

Mizzou_8541
04-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Say hello to our new 2nd round pick.

Good call...:D

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2008, 11:44 AM
The media is really underestimating Brian Johnston, I really believe he could be the next Jared Allen and his production also states my case .

Micjones
04-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I think this kid is going to surprise the good people in Chiefs kingdom.