PDA

View Full Version : Favorite sandwich shop/deli?

DaFace
03-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Spinoff thread from another universe...

I made a trek around 15 miles yesterday just to eat at a Schlotsky's, which I hadn't had in a few years. It's one of my favorites, but everyone has their own opinions. So what's your favorite deli?

Baby Lee
03-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Planet/Yellow Sub.

Can I get a mod to go ahead and close this thread? It appears to have run it's course.

;)

Adept Havelock
03-30-2008, 11:02 AM
The New York Deli, at 72nd and Troost in KC.

They've been in business (though not at that location) since Roosevelt was in office. Not Franklin, Teddy. :eek:

An "Awesome Ruben" indeed! Damn good Smoked Brisket or Pastrami too, plus walking in there when the morning baking is going on is an Epicurean delight.

A little pricey, but well worth it.

There is a German Deli over on Johnson Drive that is also fantastic, but the name escapes me.

Raiderh8ter77
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
who gives a crap about delis?

JimNasium
03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Lenny's.

CosmicPal
03-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Oh man....I've eaten there a few times. Good stuff. There was a Brooklyn deli on Main street, D'Bronx? Used to drive over there for lunch sometimes...worth the trip alone for their meatball subs.

I like Heidi's and The Spicy Pickle. But, my favorite place is Pat's Steaks. The best philly's around.

DaFace
03-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Oh man....I've eaten there a few times. Good stuff. There was a Brooklyn deli on Main street, D'Bronx? Used to drive over there for lunch sometimes...worth the trip alone for their meatball subs.

I like Heidi's and The Spicy Pickle. But, my favorite place is Pat's Steaks. The best philly's around.

Ahh...Spicy Pickle - that's one I left off the list. Good stuff, though.

|Zach|
03-30-2008, 11:21 AM
D'Bronx.

Adept Havelock
03-30-2008, 11:28 AM

D'Bronx does make a damn good Latke. :thumb:

I just prefer the bakery/deli combo at NY Deli.

Adept Havelock
03-30-2008, 11:29 AM

D'Bronx does make a damn good Latke, if that's the place at Crown Center. :thumb:

I just prefer the bakery/deli combo at NY Deli.

eazyb81
03-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Planet Sub is my favorite chain in KC, I wish they had them down here in Tennessee.

But my favorite place overall is a little sub shop in North Kansas City, I think it's called Jersey Boys but that might not be exactly right. Every sandwich I've had there was amazing, and they have some great fries you can choose instead of chips.

milkman
03-30-2008, 12:26 PM
who gives a crap about delis?

If you're looking for a sight that doesn't discuss a broad variety of topic, then you're in the wrong place.

If you're just bitching about this specific topic, then carry on.

Oh, and one more thing.

Who the hell gives a rat's ass what you give a crap about?

Phobia
03-30-2008, 12:29 PM

They've been in business (though not at that location) since Roosevelt was in office. Not Franklin, Teddy. :eek:

An "Awesome Ruben" indeed! Damn good Smoked Brisket or Pastrami too, plus walking in there when the morning baking is going on is an Epicurean delight.

A little pricey, but well worth it.

There is a German Deli over on Johnson Drive that is also fantastic, but the name escapes me.
That place is incredible. The owners are former clients of mine. Worked for them almost an entire year with zero problems and they ripped me off $500 the final day. So, I just refused to come back and do their punch-list.

I'd still eat the sandwich though. Good stuff.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2008, 12:30 PM
There's a place in S. Seattle called Philly Fever that makes the most amazing philly cheese steak I've ever eaten. I've never been to Philly, but everytime I eat one of those, I figure it's the same thing. It's that damn good.

Stewie
03-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Ahh...Spicy Pickle - that's one I left off the list. Good stuff, though.

I think I've actually eaten there. My niece worked at the Children's Hospital and we met there for lunch during a vacation I was on (is there more than one location?). All the nurses called it the Icky Pickle because the food was good but no one liked the pickles.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Planet Sub. We're kind of limited here in Topeka.

Jersey Mike's would be okay, but I loathe the local owner as he's a sleazeball.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Planet Sub. We're kind of limited here in Topeka.

Jersey Mike's would be okay, but I loathe the local owner as he's a sleazeball.

I ate Jersey Mike's in NC. Pretty ****in tasty.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I ate Jersey Mike's in NC. Pretty ****in tasty.

yup, but after dealing with the owner, he makes me want to puke.

Adept Havelock
03-30-2008, 12:50 PM
That place is incredible. The owners are former clients of mine. Worked for them almost an entire year with zero problems and they ripped me off $500 the final day. So, I just refused to come back and do their punch-list.

I'd still eat the sandwich though. Good stuff.

Now that's a true testament to how good the food is.

Maybe you could get the $500 back if you agreed to do their ads?

"New York Deli is so good I'd still eat there, even though they ripped me off to the tune of $500." :p

Stewie
03-30-2008, 12:55 PM

Werner's? I buy alot of hard to find items from them.

Rain Man
03-30-2008, 12:56 PM
I must agree that Schlotzky's is the cream of the crop. There's not one within walking distance, though, which means I never go there.

I think there are about 800 sandwich shops within walking distance of my and DaFace's office. I saw that a new one opened up a month ago, which makes me wonder whether they did any research at all beforehand. We have 800 sandwich shops and there's only about 2 pizza-by-the-slice places, both of which are pretty mediocre.

Rain Man
03-30-2008, 12:57 PM

Do they carry Chiefs playoff wins?

Adept Havelock
03-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Ja!! That's the one! Thank you.

Phobia
03-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Now that's a true testament to how good the food is.

Maybe you could get the $500 back if you agreed to do their ads?

"New York Deli is so good I'd still eat there, even though they ripped me off to the tune of $500." :p

Actually, I figure we're even. He shorted me $500 and I didn't go back to do his punch-list. They actually called me about 6 weeks later wondering why I hadn't gone back. Uh. Hello.

Bugeater
03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I must agree that Schlotzky's is the cream of the crop. There's not one within walking distance, though, which means I never go there.
Did you get grounded from your car?

Bump
03-30-2008, 02:25 PM
the Hunters Club or the Gargantuan at Jimmy Johns...YES~