PDA

View Full Version : Any machinists on the board?

pr_capone
04-01-2008, 12:44 AM
*edit - check post #13 for updated info

I am looking to stretch out a bit on my bike. Looking for about 3 inches or so. So far the only thing I can find is a whole new set of forward controls that have been extended 2 inches.... but I dont need new controls. I just need it extended. This is what I have figured out so far.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9451/photo040108003nh3.jpg

The rod leading to the transmission would simply need to be longer, as well as the rod leading to the rear brakes on the right side of the bike.

The bracket that is holding on the forward controls is swept back about 3 inches or so. If it were made so that the bracket were flush with the frame instead of swept back... the entire problem would be resolved.

I wish I were more mechanically inclined so I could do things like this for myself. Is there anyone here who might be able to lend a hand or give me an idea of how much something like this might run to have made?

Phobia
04-01-2008, 12:50 AM
If I were you, I'd fashion something out of pressure treated lumber. Have you ever used that stuff before?

RustShack
04-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Duct tape it

ClevelandBronco
04-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Build a ramp.

plbrdude
04-01-2008, 06:52 AM
get yerslf a sawzall, some aluminum closet rod, a cordless drill, and some 1/4" stovebolts the right length. no problem
oh, mebe some 5/16" all thread fer that other thing there

Sully
04-01-2008, 06:59 AM
http://www.expat-at-large.com/pm/images/uploads/stickman.jpg

Brock
04-01-2008, 07:02 AM
There are a lot of guys who perform custom fabrication services for motorcycles at jockeyjournal.com and also at the xlforum. No idea what that would cost you though.

Reerun_KC
04-01-2008, 07:05 AM

Is that Jason Benneck the Former 5 star center for KSU?

Braincase
04-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Duct tape.

Rain Man
04-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I can do market research on how others might view this change.

seclark
04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
cut 3inches off your legs...
sec

stlchiefs
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
cut 3inches off your legs...
sec

Cotton Hill. Cut them off at the knees.

pr_capone
04-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Ok.... I now have detailed instructions on how this is done, and pics of what it should look like in the end.

This should be pretty simple and straight forward. Can anyone here fabricate this part... or at least point me to a buddy of a friends sister who does this kind of work out of their garage?

Instructions:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2646/e7f9fcce42064a68ae4e299gz3.jpg

End Product (the black part holding the peg and brake in place as well as the rod):
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2548/fcon3rd6.jpg

Otter
04-02-2008, 04:41 AM
If that's a Harley I know some engineers who make those things that might be able to help. It would probably be easier to find a forum more geared to the subject matter than dealing with me as a middle man however.

If it's not a Harley they could probably still help but won't.

Molitoth
04-02-2008, 07:42 AM

Bah, beat me to it.

That role puts Bale down in History as a pure f'ing badass actor.

pr_capone
04-02-2008, 08:48 AM
If that's a Harley I know some engineers who make those things that might be able to help. It would probably be easier to find a forum more geared to the subject matter than dealing with me as a middle man however.

LOL...

yeah, its a Harley.

The main thing is location. I have 2 people who could make the bracket for me already but they life 4 states away. I am hoping to find someone local... or at least quasi close, so that shipping does not take as long. To complete these modifications requires me to make my bike inoperable and that is difficult as it is my primary form of transportation.

Where are your Engineer friends located at?

Fat Elvis
04-02-2008, 08:52 AM
LOL...

yeah, its a Harley.

The main thing is location. I have 2 people who could make the bracket for me already but they life 4 states away. I am hoping to find someone local... or at least quasi close, so that shipping does not take as long. To complete these modifications requires me to make my bike inoperable and that is difficult as it is my primary form of transportation.

Must be fun in those Wichita winters....

Radar Chief
04-02-2008, 09:05 AM

That sounds about right.

Skip Towne
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
There used to be a custom machine shop in Wichita called Cardwells. Don't know if they are still there.

Phobia
04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Dude, you really need some Workforce tools. There's no reason you can't do this with a hacksaw and a drill for about $50. Don't forget to post your results.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
yellow pages.

Otter
04-02-2008, 10:11 AM
LOL...

yeah, its a Harley.

I work at the Harley plant in York, PA. I'll pass along what you have and see what they say. It depends on their mood though when their feeling helpful and I'm in IT so have no clue what you're talking about.

Will let you know as soon as I do. :D

No promises.

Phobia
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I work at the Harley plant in York, PA. I'll pass along what you have and see what they say. It depends on their mood though when their feeling helpful and I'm in IT so have no clue what you're talking about.

Will let you know as soon as I do. :D

No promises.
I thought you lost that job.

Otter
04-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I thought you lost that job.

The guy gave the go ahead for the layoffs retired, my old boss took his place and hired me back.

Happy as a pig in shit.

Phobia
04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
The guy gave the go ahead for the layoffs retired, my old boss took his place and hired me back.

Happy as a pig in shit.

Awesome. Congrats.

pr_capone
04-02-2008, 03:44 PM
There used to be a custom machine shop in Wichita called Cardwells. Don't know if they are still there.

Thanks for the tip Skip.... seems like they are not around anymore. No listing for them in the phone book.

cheers

pr_capone
04-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Dude, you really need some Workforce tools. There's no reason you can't do this with a hacksaw and a drill for about $50. Don't forget to post your results.

I fear that if I tackled this myself, it would look like the ramp I made. LMFAO

I will post up the results of this transformation when done though. :D

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
i wish i had a cnc mill and lathe.

Phobia
04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the tip Skip.... seems like they are not around anymore. No listing for them in the phone book.

cheers

Did you check the "blacksmith" category?