PDA

View Full Version : Corner Conversation

Direckshun
04-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I think we've been exploring so many different positions in this forum, and we've just come to the blanket conclusion that all corners in this Draft are great.

That's not the case, and I'd like some of your opinions on any of the following questions:

1. What top five corners would you be most enthused for the Chiefs to draft? (You cannot include Mike Jenkins, Leodis McKelvin, or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, as it is near-impossible they'll be Chiefs.)

2. Name any corners projected to go in the first three rounds that you'd be most disappointed with the Chiefs for drafting.

3. Aqib Talib makes it to our second round pick. All things being equal, would you pull the trigger?

4. Have any sleepers that you really like?

OnTheWarpath15
04-02-2008, 11:14 AM
1. What top five corners would you be most enthused for the Chiefs to draft? (You cannot include Mike Jenkins, Leodis McKelvin, or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, as it is near-impossible they'll be Chiefs.)

In no particular order: Justin King, Charles Godfrey, Antoine Cason, Chevis Jackson, Terrence Wheatley

2. Name any corners projected to go in the first three rounds that you'd be most disappointed with the Chiefs for drafting.

Aqib Talib, Tracy Porter.

3. Aqib Talib makes it to our second round pick. All things being equal, would you pull the trigger?

See question #2

4. Have any sleepers that you really like?

Not a sleeper, but I'd love for them to use a late rounder on injured Wisconsin CB Jack Ikegwuonu

Zouk
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Why the hate on Talib? I love his ball skills and think he'll be taken in the 1st round.

Another question - does anyone know why Jonathan Zenon fell way down on the draft lists to now being considered 7th rd / UDFA by nfldraftscout? Guy started all 13 games for a top notch LSU defense, is 6 foot tall, and ran in the 4.4s at the combine. What am I missing about this guy? May be another case where college production is underrated.

The Franchise
04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
1. Antoine Cason, Charles Godfrey, Patrick Lee, Tyvon Branch, Chevis Jackson
2. Brandon Flowers
3. Yes
4. Antwuan Molden

OnTheWarpath15
04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Why the hate on Talib? I love his ball skills and think he'll be taken in the 1st round.

Another question - does anyone know why Jonathan Zenon fell way down on the draft lists to now being considered 7th rd / UDFA by nfldraftscout? Guy started all 13 games for a top notch LSU defense, is 6 foot tall, and ran in the 4.4s at the combine. What am I missing about this guy? May be another case where college production is underrated.

No hate here on Talib, I just doubt his ability to play fast enough in the NFL.

He trained for months trying to get his 40 time into a respectable level, but as we all know, a straight-line 40 that you've been training for (form, mechanics, etc) and game speed with pads are a completely different story.

I think he's going to get abused in the NFL, quite frankly.

No hate, just my honest opinion.

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I will go my sleeper pick - Dwight Lowery out of San Jose State. I just like this player alot.

Zouk
04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
No hate, just my honest opinion.

Cool, thank you.

I think you make a great point about these artificial 40 times that are a result of short-term training. Ball skills and tackling are paramount for us though, and I think Talib could be a nice fit.

OnTheWarpath15
04-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Cool, thank you.

I think you make a great point about these artificial 40 times that are a result of short-term training. Ball skills and tackling are paramount for us though, and I think Talib could be a nice fit.

I've said before, he has excellent ball skills.

My concern is that you typically have to be near the receiver to use those ball skills.

Once he's beat, he's beat. He doesn't have the closing speed to make up for any mistakes.

melbar
04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
No particular order...
1. Reggie Smith, Antoine Cason, Aquib Talib, Tracy Porter, Brandon Flowers.
-some of these guys arent burners, its not as vital in cover 2. Still faster than Law
last year. Godfrey in the 3rd wouldnt be bad. Needs coaching. We got that for CB.
2. Justin King, Dejuan Tribble

3. Depends on who else is there and who we've already drafted.

4. Tyvon Branch, Jack Ikegwuonu, Antwaun Molden

melbar
04-02-2008, 11:57 AM

Talib is at the bottom of my list, but I wouldnt go crazy. I just think the one think Herm can do really well is coach DB's.

What I've read about Zenon is he really got exposed speed wise. Teams frequently exposed him deep late in his senior season. Does everything well, but cant be left on an island. Would do better in zone as he is rarely out of position.

milkman
04-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Since I don't value corners as much as most here, and since the cover two only requires solid corners, I would pass on corner in the first couple of rounds, unless he's clearly head and shoulders better than other players available.

I do like Cason, Godfrey, Tyvon Branch, Chevis Jackson and Justin King as second round CBs or later, and again, only if in the second round a Cason is clearly better than any of the other players available.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about Flowers.

Foe a sleeper, ya just gotta love a corner named Corner.