PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care

jiveturkey
04-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Since this site is crawling with old guys I figured that this would be a great place to ask.

I'm moving into a new house at the end of the month and for the first time in my adult life I will be responsible for the lawn (I currently live in a townhouse). With this being the case I want to make sure that my lawn kicks the piss out of everyone else's.

Is there some type of turf builder I should throw down this time of year?
Is there a tried and true way to keep kids off of the lawn?
Are there any other tips that can be shared with a lawn noob?

Phobia
04-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Go to home depot and pick up the Scotts flier. Follow their directions.

Don't be tempted to buy the cheap stuff. Buy Scotts.

Coach
04-02-2008, 11:37 AM
To prevent the kids terrorizing the grass, put up electric fence around the grass. Make sure to put up a sign "Danger, electricity." just to cover your own ass.

Stinger
04-02-2008, 11:45 AM

For the fall you can always try

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=72933

kepp
04-02-2008, 11:57 AM

Moles...tell me how to stop moles.

jiveturkey
04-02-2008, 11:58 AM

Don't be tempted to buy the cheap stuff. Buy Scotts.You are the master of everything home based.

I bet that you live at the top of a hill.

Phobia
04-02-2008, 12:01 PM

Kill the grubs.

OnTheWarpath15
04-02-2008, 12:05 PM

Plastic explosives in the shape of "woodland creatures."

Doesn't work for gophers, but may for moles.

wutamess
04-02-2008, 12:16 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-172062.html

Archived and old but still relevant with great info.

stlchiefs
04-02-2008, 12:21 PM

Multiple mole traps.

First stomp down all the paths you can see. Then pay attention to the new areas that raise up, that'll reveal the new areas they are using. Place the traps in these new areas. You'll start to catch the varmits like crazy.

If you have some time on your hands and enjoy a lazy weekend you can follow the following:
- Stomp down all paths
- Grab 2 spade shovels, lawnchair, case of beer and whatever form of entertainment you desire
- Watch your lawn for movement. The second you see movement jab a spade shovel in front of where the mole is moving. Use the other shovel to trap the mole in from the back side and pop it out of the ground.
- Cut the SOB in half with a shovel or any other form of death you prefer.

Rooster
04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Gotta get one of these bad boys.

blueballs
04-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Get on the sex offender list to keep kids of the lawn
plant roses by the front door
they will thrive on the egg shells and asst. manures

Iowanian
04-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Use quality winter and spring fertilizers and turf builders, use quality seed when you're patching holes in the yard, use weed n feed product to keep dandylions down, and if you have moles, kill the grubs and they'll leave.

If you're going to water, do it in the evenings when it will have the most time to soak in and not evaporate.

DenverChief
04-02-2008, 01:40 PM
If you're going to water, do it in the evenings when it will have the most time to soak in and not evaporate.

3 am always works well too

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-02-2008, 02:33 PM
i heard there's a movement happening that people are dropping lawns in favor of gardens because of food prices.

stlchiefs
04-02-2008, 02:43 PM
i heard there's a movement happening that people are dropping lawns in favor of gardens because of food prices.

Victory Gardens

ROYC75
04-02-2008, 02:57 PM

What Phil said, it's the best there is. I use to all out with my lawn and that's what I used. Follow the directions and youwill do just fine, after a couple of years, you will have a nice thick lawn. Seed and water , feed when needed

Once a year, in the spring, put down some grubworm killer, it will keep the moles out of your yard.

Kids ? Keep them out !

Yard darts ......... don't buy them, lawns do not like having or being the bullseye. :D

kepp
04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Yard darts ......... don't buy them, lawns do not like having or being the bullseye. :D

That's good aeration, no?

ROYC75
04-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Use quality winter and spring fertilizers and turf builders, use quality seed when you're patching holes in the yard, use weed n feed product to keep dandylions down, and if you have moles, kill the grubs and they'll leave.

Ditto ....... Many here are saying the same thing. The Planet members will keep ya straight.

DenverChief
04-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I have to admit the planet helped me with my front yard last year and it is almost perfect....winter really did a doozy on it but it should be okay in about a month...the back yard OTOH really needs help

kstater
04-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Right about now is the perfect time to spray it with round up to get rid of all the weeds. Even better if you wait about a month.

DenverChief
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Right about now is the perfect time to spray it with round up to get rid of all the weeds. Even better if you wait about a month.

:cuss: I live with my backyard up against a trail and get those damned prickly weeds growing all over my backyard...I tried to kill some near my fenceline in hopes of eliminating them from my yard this year but I know that won't happen :cuss:

kstater
04-02-2008, 04:13 PM
:cuss: I live with my backyard up against a trail and get those damned prickly weeds growing all over my backyard...I tried to kill some near my fenceline in hopes of eliminating them from my yard this year but I know that won't happen :cuss:

Please don't take my suggestion seriously. It is already too late to apply round up unless you want a dead lawn.

Brock
04-02-2008, 04:20 PM

Apply in spots you want dead only

Bugeater
04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
It will also be more susceptible to fungus if you do that, especially in the warm summer months. Early morning watering is most desirable.

MadMax
04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Get on the sex offender list to keep kids of the lawn
plant roses by the front door
they will thrive on the egg shells and asst. manures

ROFL

04-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Just burn it and then roundup it. It's not worth the time and expense. Plus, no mowing. heh

plbrdude
04-02-2008, 06:11 PM
To prevent the kids terrorizing the grass, put up electric fence around the grass. Make sure to put up a sign "Danger, electricity." just to cover your own ass.

that might work better than a moat, which was what i was thinking.

Buehler445
04-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Is there some type of turf builder I should throw down this time of year? Scott's is definitely the way to go. Put some down in the fall also. They make it with weed killer in it, which is just 2-4D. It won't kill everything but it will kill broadleaves pretty well. If you have trees or shrubs around, make sure you don't get any of the fertilizer with weed killer on them, they are broadleaves.
Is there a tried and true way to keep kids off of the lawn? I got nothin....so antifreeze.
Are there any other tips that can be shared with a lawn noob? Don't mow it too short. It puts a lot of water pressure on the grass and also lets more sunlight get to the dirt to let weeds grow.

Also, mow regularly. Same time once or twice a week. Don't let it get 8' tall and then buzz it off.

If you have an underground sprinkler system, bag the clippings.

Stay ahead of your water. If your grass gets drought stressed, weeds will be in there before you know it, but if it is healthy and growing, it will do better to keep the weeds choked out.

Go forth and dominate the neighborhood!

recxjake
04-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Since this site is crawling with old guys I figured that this would be a great place to ask.

I'm moving into a new house at the end of the month and for the first time in my adult life I will be responsible for the lawn (I currently live in a townhouse). With this being the case I want to make sure that my lawn kicks the piss out of everyone else's.

Is there some type of turf builder I should throw down this time of year?
Are there any other tips that can be shared with a lawn noob?

Midwest Lawns:
Scotts Turfbuilder with Crabgrass prevention right now
Scotts Turfbuilder with Weed and Feed in May/June
Scotts Turfbuilder with Summerguard in June/July
Scotts Turfbuilder Winterizer in September

For Lawns in the south you can get away with just using Scotts Bonus S every 2 months or so

Ironite if you want a quick green fix
Regualr Scotts Turfbuilder if you just want to feed and don't have a weed problem
Use a season long bug killer- Ortho (a Scotts Product)

Lowe's has it's own brand called Sta-Green... it's about 4 bucks cheaper a bag and does a good job too... but i'd still go with Scotts if I was you

One of the reasons Scotts is better is every pellet containts a mix of all of the chemicals, where as Sta-Green or other off brands has a pellet for every chemical... therefore you get a more even coverage with Scotts

Buy a Scotts Standard Spreader

If you don't want to use a granular Scotts also has all of their products in a hose-end sprayer...

ottawa_chiefs_fan
04-03-2008, 04:46 AM
Move to Canada - my lawn is still under 3 feet of snow - no problems up here!

Chief Pote
04-03-2008, 05:24 AM
:shrug: Scott's Lawn service does our 2 acres. Leave to the pros.