PDA

View Full Version : My new strictly numerical mock.

Direckshun
04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I did this once before (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182086), before the compensatory picks were handed out. I took a little time to put what I considered the best 250 players on a list from best to worst.

From there, since the Chiefs have pick #5, I'm going to put the 5th best player on my list there. Since the Chiefs have pick #239, I'm going to put the 239th best player there. Etc.

This is adjusted after the compensatory picks (new picks are in bold):

Round 1 (#5 overall) -- QB Matt Ryan (Boston College)

Round 2 (#35) -- CB Tracy Porter (Indiana)

Round 3 (#66) -- DT Dre Moore (Maryland)

Round 4 (#105) -- RB Mike Hart (Michigan)

Round 5 (#136) -- TE Jermichael Finley (Texas)

Round 5 (#140) -- SS Tyrell Johnson (Arkansas State)

Round 6 (#170) -- DE Johnny Dingle (West Virginia)

Round 6 (#187) -- WR Anthony Aldridge (Houston)

Round 7 (#210) -- OG Kerry Brown (Appalachian State)

Round 7 (#239) -- FS David Roach (Texas Christian)

Blech -- that looks like a horrendous draft.

melbar
04-02-2008, 11:59 AM
So much for strictly BPA...

milkman
04-02-2008, 12:06 PM
When you do this strictly nemerical value draft, does it take into account positional value?

Direckshun
04-02-2008, 03:21 PM
So much for strictly BPA...
Well I believe in strict BPA, but I don't keep players specifically listed like I did for these threads. I have players on "shelves" and if a bunch of players are all on the same shelf, I just opt for the one on that shelf that I like. I'm almost sure that's how Herm drafts anyway.

There's no room for flexibility whatsoever with this method.

Chiefnj2
04-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Kerry Brown is a great pick.

Direckshun
04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
When you do this strictly nemerical value draft, does it take into account positional value?
It does for me, yes. But I try to be neutral on teams. Just because the Chiefs devalue CBs and the Broncos highly value them doesn't have any influence on where they go. I know it's arbitrary but that's how that works by nature.

QBs are of the highest value.

CBs are generally especially valuable, so are skill positions and OTs, and defensive line.

Safety, linebacker, tight end and running back are of average general value.

Special teams, interior lineman, fullbacks, blocking tight ends, other role players, etc are of low general value.

Brandon Albert is a stud in my opinion, but he's only guaranteed to be a stud at guard, therefore he's 2nd round material to me. Whereas I wouldn't take too many QBs or OTs in the 6th or 7th round because the position generally has such high demands.

Direckshun
04-02-2008, 03:29 PM
In the first three rounds for the Bucs, by the way, I've drafted CB, WR, and OT. In the fourth I drafted FB.

I drafted SS for the Eagles in the 4th.

milkman
04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
It does for me, yes. But I try to be neutral on teams. Just because the Chiefs devalue CBs and the Broncos highly value them doesn't have any influence on where they go. I know it's arbitrary but that's how that works by nature.

QBs are of the highest value.

CBs are generally especially valuable, so are skill positions and OTs, and defensive line.

Safety, linebacker, tight end and running back are of average general value.

Special teams, interior lineman, fullbacks, blocking tight ends, other role players, etc are of low general value.

Brandon Albert is a stud in my opinion, but he's only guaranteed to be a stud at guard, therefore he's 2nd round material to me. Whereas I wouldn't take too many QBs or OTs in the 6th or 7th round because the position generally has such high demands.

I value CBs about as much as I value RBs, which puts them at the bottom of my defensive positions.

CBs, like RB, to an extent, are only as good as the lines and LBs in front of them.

Direckshun
04-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I think that's a fair argument, but it's one of those positions that varies wildly from team to team.

In the cover 2, the safeties are actually the more crucial position and the corners aren't really that crucial. In a more man-type system you rely as heavily on the corners as anybody else on the field. It's all over the place.

I suppose you're right, though.

milkman
04-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I think that's a fair argument, but it's one of those positions that varies wildly from team to team.

In the cover 2, the safeties are actually the more crucial position and the corners aren't really that crucial. In a more man-type system you rely as heavily on the corners as anybody else on the field. It's all over the place.

I suppose you're right, though.

The cover two does devalue the CB position even more, but even in a man system, the DL, or blitzers, especially in a defense like Philly's, have to apply pressure to maximize the CB's effectiveness.

If they don't, even the best corners get beat,

See Champ Bailey.

melbar
04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Well I believe in strict BPA, but I don't keep players specifically listed like I did for these threads. I have players on "shelves" and if a bunch of players are all on the same shelf, I just opt for the one on that shelf that I like. I'm almost sure that's how Herm drafts anyway.

There's no room for flexibility whatsoever with this method.

I agree completely. I think too many people dont think of it in this way. I keep seeing "but that guys ranked 2 spots lower, your reaching!" every time you want a guy for the Chiefs who is ranked approximately in the area of their pick. If He's ranked #38 and we pick #35 we're failing to get the BPA.
There has to be a level because it is all subjective. Needs and fits for every team are different.

milkman
04-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I agree completely. I think too many people dont think of it in this way. I keep seeing "but that guys ranked 2 spots lower, your reaching!" every time you want a guy for the Chiefs who is ranked approximately in the area of their pick. If He's ranked #38 and we pick #35 we're failing to get the BPA.
There has to be a level because it is all subjective. Needs and fits for every team are different.

Here's how I look at it.

There are 6 players that I consider top tier prospects.

Glen Dorsey
Chris Long
Sedrick Ellis
Vernon Gholston
Jake Long
Matt Ryan

I put Ryan there because he's a QB, and QB is the most valuable position on the field.
Mcfadden's not there, because RB is way down on my list of value positions.

If the Chiefs select Clady at 5 ahead of the top tier prospects, that is a reach by my definition.

Direckshun
04-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Here's how I look at it.

There are 6 players that I consider top tier prospects.

Glen Dorsey
Chris Long
Sedrick Ellis
Vernon Gholston
Jake Long
Matt Ryan

I put Ryan there because he's a QB, and QB is the most valuable position on the field.
Mcfadden's not there, because RB is way down on my list of value positions.

If the Chiefs select Clady at 5 ahead of the top tier prospects, that is a reach by my definition.
I think we're all saying the same thing.

milkman
04-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I think we're all saying the same thing.

Not Melbar, apparently.