PDA

View Full Version : Head gastkets

RustShack
04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I have a 95 trans am... and I have to put antifreeze in it about every week because it starts overheating. I just got back from a car shop and they said it would be $750 to fix, and thats if the heads aren't bad. I just got it payed off a couple months ago, and don't know what I want to do yet... Anyone have any info, or know if I should be able to get it done cheeper some how? OR should I just drink the antifreeze instead...

Brock
04-03-2008, 11:24 AM
If you're going to spend that much money and not get new heads, you may as well spend some more and get brand new aftermarket heads that make a lot more horsepower. Check jegs or summit. If you want to go the super cheap route, just replace the gaskets and have the heads checked for flatness and or cracks.

Dartgod
04-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I'd check into this...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182205&highlight=dexcool

Bob Dole
04-03-2008, 11:35 AM
You could almost replace both headlight motors for that.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-03-2008, 12:15 PM
sucks. Makes you hate the IC engine.

Replace the whole engine with a 2 stroke nitro engine. No more gasket problems. All the modders will be jealous.

kepp
04-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Trans Am? Buy a Camero.

Radar Chief
04-03-2008, 12:33 PM
If you're going to spend that much money and not get new heads, you may as well spend some more and get brand new aftermarket heads that make a lot more horsepower. Check jegs or summit. If you want to go the super cheap route, just replace the gaskets and have the heads checked for flatness and or cracks.

X2. Even if your heads are warped it isn’t very expensive to have them milled flat.
Just hope you’re not dealing with a crack.

Iowanian
04-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Thats what you get for using after market Blinker fluid....sounds like it warped your muffler bearing which caused the gasket to pull away from the head.

RustShack
04-03-2008, 02:29 PM
One of my friends says he would replace them for me for free, but how much would it cost me to get them? Where should I get them at too? The only problem is he lives 3 hours away, and I don't know if it would be a good idea to drive that far...

stlchiefs
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
One of my friends says he would replace them for me for free, but how much would it cost me to get them? Where should I get them at too? The only problem is he lives 3 hours away, and I don't know if it would be a good idea to drive that far...

Quit being such a whiny bitch and push the damn thing. :)

Radar Chief
04-03-2008, 02:49 PM

Well, if you’re going to replace the, you could go to an aftermarket parts store like Jegs, Summit, or a dozen other places like them.

http://www.jegs.com/
http://www.summitracing.com/

Or you could surf Ebay, believe it or not there are still some steals on there.
Personally, I’d get a top end gasket set and go from there but I understand if this is your only vehicle and you need it running.

Iowanian
04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
You're in waterloo?

call fat pat's auto salvage and see if he's got any heads.

Radar Chief
04-03-2008, 02:57 PM
You're in waterloo?

call fat pat's auto salvage and see if he's got any heads.

Ah salvage, good point.
Stick with Vortech heads though. Get a set of Gen II or older heads and your intake plenum won’t fit.