PDA

View Full Version : Another blow for PC gaming: EA drops PC version of Madden '09

KcMizzou
04-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Another blow for PC gaming: EA drops PC version of Madden '09

By Frank Caron | Published: April 03, 2008 - 12:06PM CT

Outcries for and against the belief that PC gaming is dying are a dime a dozen these days, but a new and unusual PC deficiency is raising the question all over again. Industry titan Electronic Arts has confirmed that there will be no PC version for the upcoming Madden 2009.

The announcement of Madden 2009 noted every major platform—both console and handheld—except for the PC, which EA has since confirmed was a conscious omission. This is the first Madden title not to hit the PC alongside current consoles since Madden NFL '96 in 1995.

EA's Peter Moore commented about the lack of a PC version on his official EA blog. "We knew that our decision to not develop this year’s Madden for the PC would be an unpopular decision in some circles," Moore admitted. "But I'll reiterate what I said a couple of weeks ago in this space... the PC presents some very serious business challenges to us in the sports category, particularly because so many of you all are playing your favorite sports games on the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. We are committed to shipping a limited number of our games on the PC this year, but we’ve also had to cut a few of our games from the platform."

In North America, Madden represents one of the core pillars of gaming. Like it or not, the franchise is an industry unto itself, topping sales charts year in and year out. Thanks to the sheer breadth of platforms and huge following in the US, Madden has routinely sold millions of copies every year. Madden 2007, for example, sold roughly 6.5 million copies in 2006. The second-best-selling title of the year, Cars, sold just over 2 million: no small feat, to be sure, but a number dwarfed by EA's cash cow.

While to some the loss of a PC version of a series built to legacy on consoles may seem trivial, there's no question that a definitive statement has been made by EA. Given the concurrent development of an Xbox 360 version, a PC port would not be too costly an endeavor. And for the hardest of hardcore football fans, the PC versions of Madden were often the version of choice: after all, they were the only versions that allowed user-generated content and roster updatability.

More than anything, EA's decision to nix the PC version of Madden reinforces the growing trend of noteworthy developers shying away from the PC as a platform for sales. The threat of piracy alone is reason enough to write off the platform, even for developers who treat their PC audience well. For example, Infinity Ward, developers of the hit title Call of Duty 4, readily admitted that its game was pirated in distressing amounts and only managed to succeed thanks to sales of the console versions.

While Madden may not be the foremost concern in the minds of hardcore PC gamers, the franchise does represent a significant contribution to the platform as a whole. The absence of such software only further contributes to the ever-shrinking content available to PC gamers, and furthers realizes that stigma that PC gaming is increasingly exclusive to massively multiplayer online games and first-person shooters.

Madden 2009 is slated to land on August 12 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo Wii, and Nintendo DS.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080403-another-blow-for-pc-gaming-ea-drops-pc-version-of-madden-09.html

KcMizzou
04-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I've never played a sports game on a PC. To me, they're just best played with a buddy in the same room, on a console. (preferably over many beers)

PC gaming is more for RPG's and shooters, IMO. And I don't think PC gaming will ever "die".

keg in kc
04-03-2008, 10:40 PM
I've never played a sports game on a PC. To me, they're just best played with a buddy in the same room, on a console. (preferably over many beers)

PC gaming is more for RPG's and shooters, IMO. And I don't think PC gaming will ever "die".Ditto.

And I have played Madden on PC, and it's just not the same as it is on console. The only sports games I've liked as much or more on PC as their console versions have been the Tiger Woods games with the mouse swing control.

irishjayhawk
04-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Obligatory shout of what everyone's already thinking

EA SUCKS

TinyEvel
04-03-2008, 11:03 PM
ROFL. Like you're gonna play Madden on your PC!
First, you'd have to drag your PC over to in front of your couch.
Then hook up some sort of two keyboard/mouse setup.
and forget trying to get two guys to share that monitor.

PC Madden, R.I.P.

PS3...$399 Blu-ray gaming, folks!

kcxiv
04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Number 1 EA hater here, but they did the right thing. People are just pirating everything now days. Developers dont even wanna make PC games outside of games like World of Warcraft and Everquest becuase you cant really pirate that to play on their servers. YOu could make a emulation server, but i think they are pretty crappy.

PC gaming will never die, but its starting to hurt thats for sure.

Psyko Tek
04-03-2008, 11:11 PM
crap, I don't wanna shell out more money to have a gaming platform along with my PC

keg in kc
04-03-2008, 11:13 PM
PS3...$399 Blu-ray gaming, folks!Your voice sounds more...shill (cough, cough) than I remember.

irishjayhawk
04-03-2008, 11:14 PM
ROFL. Like you're gonna play Madden on your PC!
First, you'd have to drag your PC over to in front of your couch.
Then hook up some sort of two keyboard/mouse setup.
and forget trying to get two guys to share that monitor.

PC Madden, R.I.P.

PS3...$399 Blu-ray gaming, folks!

If I wasn't a broke college kid, I'd get one. I want it for two reasons:

Blu-Ray Player
Metal Gear Solid 4

Maybe Gran Tourismo 5. And GTA would be but that's for 360 too and everyone here has a 360 already.

JBucc
04-03-2008, 11:21 PM
The funny thing about the console vs. PC debate is that consoles become more and more like PC's with every generation. Put Linux on the PS3 and what is it if not a PC? Want Windows on your Xbox 720? I bet you'll get it, or at least be able to install it. Even the Wii you can browse the web with.

irishjayhawk
04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
The funny thing about the console vs. PC debate is that consoles become more and more like PC's with every generation. Put Linux on the PS3 and what is it if not a PC? Want Windows on your Xbox 720? I bet you'll get it, or at least be able to install it. Even the Wii you can browse the web with.

Yeah, but that's the deal with most computing: move to bigger TVs, controller based rather than keyboard based games, and the integration of internet systems.

In other words, I expect the traditional desktop in the home consumer market to be on the decline soon as computer people partner with televisions to combine them.

Frazod
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, I can either sit at a desk playing games on my computer watching the action on a 21" monitor or kick back on the couch playing my Xbox watching the action on a 46" TV.

Sorry, but I think I'm pretty much done with PC games.

Baby Lee
04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Well, I can either sit at a desk playing games on my computer watching the action on a 21" monitor or kick back on the couch playing my Xbox watching the action on a 46" TV.

Sorry, but I think I'm pretty much done with PC games.

Because PCs don't plug into 46" TV's?
Is it that particular size, because it seems to work w/my 60" just fine.

Frazod
04-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Because PCs don't plug into 46" TV's?
Is it that particular size, because it seems to work w/my 60" just fine.

I know I could set it up to work that way if I wanted to, but it would be too much of a hassle.

kaplin42
04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
For the record, it is possible to buy controllers for the PC. Ones that feel just like xbox, or PS controllers too. Certain games are not meant to be played with keyboard and mouse.

I buy madden every year for the PC, it has things on it that are just not available on the console versions. To have no new PC versions, means that I wont be buying madden this year. Just not worth it to me.

I do see the trend though. I imagine soon that PC gaming will most likely become dominated by MMO's, even their hold on FPS's is loosening up a bit and will soon be taken over by consoles.

Its a sad thing since I can get way better graphics on my PC that a 360 or a PS3 could ever dream of.

Deberg_1990
04-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Shooters and sports games have always been better on consoles.

PC games have always been better for strategy games.

Nothing has changed.

Taco John
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Why would anyone want to play a sports game on a PC?

I'll always play PC games. But I'll never play sports games (except for maybe golf) on a PC.

Taco John
04-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Here's a better title for this thread:

"EA marginally less stupid: finally drop Madden from PC titles."

kaplin42
04-04-2008, 01:08 PM

I'll always play PC games. But I'll never play sports games (except for maybe golf) on a PC.

Ehhhh, because its fun.

If you have a game controller, there is no differance in game play. And as mentioned, you get updated rosters.

On a console, can you play in a league with 31 other players across the country? In owner mode, with drafts, and free agency, trades and everything that you can think of.

I can on a PC, using email.....but hey you're right, sports games on a PC is for n00bz.

Adept Havelock
04-04-2008, 01:36 PM

I still play MVP 2005 with updated rosters on PC, because it's far easier to mod year to year than the xbox version. IMO, it still blows away most other Baseball games.

Psyko Tek
04-04-2008, 01:55 PM

yeah I can see that
so we will get even less control of these machines,
you can't configure it to your specs
for your own purposes
you will have to use only these options,
they will be even more able to track everything you do and see

now I'm getting paranoid

Skyy God
04-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Shooters and sports games have always been better on consoles.

PC games have always been better for strategy games.

Nothing has changed.

I'll give you sports games, but shooters? I love COD4 on the big screen and will probably never go back to shelling out the extra $$ for a gaming computer, but I'm incapable of aiming as exactly with a controller than I could with a mouse.

kcxiv
04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
For the record, it is possible to buy controllers for the PC. Ones that feel just like xbox, or PS controllers too. Certain games are not meant to be played with keyboard and mouse.

I buy madden every year for the PC, it has things on it that are just not available on the console versions. To have no new PC versions, means that I wont be buying madden this year. Just not worth it to me.

I do see the trend though. I imagine soon that PC gaming will most likely become dominated by MMO's, even their hold on FPS's is loosening up a bit and will soon be taken over by consoles.

Its a sad thing since I can get way better graphics on my PC that a 360 or a PS3 could ever dream of.
Games arent all about graphics though. As long as its decent and has great gameplay people will be ok with that.

It really all just has to do with pirating of the games. Developers just dont see a reason to waste time making games for pc anymore when they can make a game thats easier to develop for consoles. They dont have to worry about the game running ok on 30 different video cards.

Baby Lee
04-04-2008, 02:42 PM
It really all just has to do with pirating of the games.

Don't they pirate console games? I seriously don't know as I've never had a gaming console.

kaplin42
04-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Don't they pirate console games? I seriously don't know as I've never had a gaming console.

Yes.

And it's just as easy to do it, you do have to have a computer though, unless you are buying pirated games.

MTG#10
04-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I'll give you sports games, but shooters? I love COD4 on the big screen and will probably never go back to shelling out the extra $$ for a gaming computer, but I'm incapable of aiming as exactly with a controller than I could with a mouse.

Agreed. I thing shooters suck on consoles. Keyboard/mouse only way to go.

Adept Havelock
04-06-2008, 04:56 PM
If anybody want updates for NFL '08 or '07, there's a good collection here:

eamods.com

I'm just happy I have updated rosters and schedule for MVP Baseball 2005.