PDA

View Full Version : Music Went to the Blue Note in CoMo last night

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2008, 09:32 AM
For a Chevelle concert. It was a pretty good show. Goddamn, those little venues get loud as f*ck though. The sound doesn't have anywhere to go. I'm pretty sure my ears will still be ringing tomorrow.

I'd never been there before, though. It's a cool little place. A little different than I had imagined, but still cool.

Sully
04-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I love that friggin place.
Not much better in the world than seeing the Urge on stage at the Blue Note.

I also remember some fun times 10 years ag, or so, when retro music was the thing, and they would have retro night. Pre-drinking+drinking and dancing at the Blue Note+greasy late night food=WINNER!!!

Sully
04-05-2008, 09:38 AM

I also remember some fun times 10 years ag, or so, when retro music was the thing, and they would have retro night. Pre-drinking+drinking and dancing at the Blue Note+greasy late night food=WINNER!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2008, 09:51 AM

I bought three Diver Downs last night (Corona w/ a shot of Limon in the top)...

26 bucks. There's no way I could drink at that place and no go completely f*cking broke.

Sully
04-05-2008, 09:53 AM

26 bucks. There's no way I could drink at that place and no go completely f*cking broke.

Yeah.
When we used to go there a lot, we would make sure to be lit before we even got there. But as I remember, a pitcher of shitty beer isn't all that expensive.
Funniest thing is, at the time, my best friend didnt drink beer. He didn't like it (and caught unbelievable flack for it) so as we are playing drinking games and such before we went, there were a few times he never made it to the bar. We'd just have to prop him in the tub, and he'd still be there when we got back.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah.
When we used to go there a lot, we would make sure to be lit before we even got there. But as I remember, a pitcher of shitty beer isn't all that expensive.
Funniest thing is, at the time, my best friend didnt drink beer. He didn't like it (and caught unbelievable flack for it) so as we are playing drinking games and such before we went, there were a few times he never made it to the bar. We'd just have to prop him in the tub, and he'd still be there when we got back.

ROFL....

Well, just so you know...don't do Long Island races like we did last night :doh!:

Micjones
04-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I played the Blue Note last year in the Fall.
Great performance venue.

BWillie
04-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Chevelle is an awesome band to see live. They were great at Rockfest two years in a row, but with 50K people you can't get too close. They would be so much better to see in a place like that.

KCChiefsMan
04-05-2008, 01:50 PM

ahh, I once drank 10 of those evil Corona's in a night, let's just say it caught up to me before I realized it and can't remember much.

melbar
04-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Where is the Blue note? The wife and I are planning a gettaway to KC soon and its been a while. I used to go to BB's BBQ quite a bit. Is that still around? My brothers play in some pretty heavy bands around Westport, but Im not sure thats what we want to do. Blue note sounds good though. Problem we have is We would have to come up on a Monday, I dont suppose there's anything going on then.

melbar
04-05-2008, 02:06 PM
ahh, I once drank 10 of those evil Corona's in a night, let's just say it caught up to me before I realized it and can't remember much.

When I worked on a cruise ship they were $1 a pop. No TV, only 4 hour long shows a week, so I had a few over 6 months.:drool:

Baby Lee
04-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Ironic, since CoMoChief has been playing the brown note nonstop for the past couple weeks.

Sully
04-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Where is the Blue note? The wife and I are planning a gettaway to KC soon and its been a while. I used to go to BB's BBQ quite a bit. Is that still around? My brothers play in some pretty heavy bands around Westport, but Im not sure thats what we want to do. Blue note sounds good though. Problem we have is We would have to come up on a Monday, I dont suppose there's anything going on then.

It's in Columbia, Missouri.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Chevelle is an awesome band to see live. They were great at Rockfest two years in a row, but with 50K people you can't get too close. They would be so much better to see in a place like that.

I was commenting to one of my friends how much of a difference you could tell between the quality of the bands. The opening band (local) was good, the second band was solid, and Chevelle was excellent. They were loud as all balls, but the sound was much, much cleaner, and it wasn't just because they were using better equipment.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I played the Blue Note last year in the Fall.
Great performance venue.

If you ever come back, shoot me a PM.

siberian khatru
04-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Didn't know it was still around. It was there when I was in school in the 80s. Good for them.

Demonpenz
04-05-2008, 05:36 PM
i saw the urge around 30 times. I liked mississippi nights in st louis the best the blue note was good though

siberian khatru
04-05-2008, 05:36 PM
It was cool back then. Steve, Bob and Rich played there all the time, the B-52s, Love Tractor ...

Sully
04-05-2008, 05:44 PM
i saw the urge around 30 times. I liked mississippi nights in st louis the best the blue note was good though

I've only seen them around 7-8 times. Never in St Louis, but 3-4 times in Columbia, a few times in KC and a few times in Lawrence.
Blue Note was probably the best, but KC City Market was pretty cool. I also liked the Bottleneck.

Demonpenz
04-05-2008, 06:03 PM
they used to always play 3 days in row in st louis. KC city market with big wreck and they might be giants? Haha

melbar
04-05-2008, 09:05 PM
It's in Columbia, Missouri.

Thanks. Gotta lot of friends still there and we pass through sometimes. May have to go special.

Chief Henry
04-14-2008, 01:53 PM
The "Bottle Rockets" have played at the Blue Note a few times.

NewChief
04-14-2008, 02:36 PM
The "Bottle Rockets" have played at the Blue Note a few times.

I think they have a fairly new album out.

gblowfish
04-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Back in ancient times, when I was at Mizzou in the 70 and 80s, the Blue Note was in an old bakery on the business loop. Next door was an old redneck bar called the Pow Wow Lounge. We used to get blasted, sneak over next door to the Pow Wow, stick our head in the door, yell something like "Merle Haggard sucked my d*ck" and run like hell to get back into the Blue Note.

Saw lots of great acts there, just a few that come to mind out of the fog from those days:

Fool's Face, Lou Whitney & D. Clinton Thompson in the Morells, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds in Rockpile, John Lee Hooker, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Koko Taylor, Dwight Twilley Band, Shoes, UB40, Stray Cats, Elvis Bros, Robert Gordon, Bel-Airs, REM, Cheap Trick, etc etc etc. Saw Chubby Checker sing for about 45 seconds, launch a toilet squid, pass out, and get taken by ambulance to Boone County Hospital with pneumonia. Good Times... Good Times.

Huffman83
04-14-2008, 11:18 PM
I've gone to the Blue note for quite a while (played,worked,been drunk, seen shows etc...)

The loudest I've ever heard a band in there was a band called Zeke. And I've seen Motorhead in that place!!!!!

Local bands tend to get the shaft by sound guys when opening up for touring bands. They tend to not get pushed up very much as far as volume goes....that way you don't "upstage" the headliners in volume.

patteeu
04-15-2008, 08:03 AM

I don't care for the low ceiling at Mississippi Nights. Other than that minor quibble though, it's a great place for a show. The blue note is great too. Any small venue is going to be better than seeing a band in an arena or a stadium, IMO.

Rausch
04-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I haven't been there in years and really wanted to see that show.

If I had a dollar for every time I've tossed lunch in that nasty upstairs bathroom...