PDA

View Full Version : Was Napster the greatest software app of all-time?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Here we are a decade later and no P2P system has ever had the same impact or ease of use as has the first with true widescale implementation.

God, that f*cking program was lite, too. :banghead:

BigRock
04-05-2008, 11:25 PM
No love for BitTorrent?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2008, 11:31 PM
No love for BitTorrent?

BitTorrent is the evolution of Napster. It's the gesamkunstwerk of media and sharing, for sure, but the search, ease of use, and ability to scan other user's music files (like Napster had) in an age where you previously had nothing...god DAMN what a great program.

SBK
04-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Yes, napster was genious.

KCChiefsMan
04-05-2008, 11:42 PM
napster was the shiznit!

ZootedGranny
04-06-2008, 03:22 AM
I loved Napster, especially in comparison to the ftps I was trawling before it came onto the scene, but even at its height, I think it paled in comparison to Audiogalaxy.

Its Satellite GUI obviously didn't compare to Napster's all in one program, but the web based search engine made everything so much easier. You weren't constricted to the library of users currently online, meaning you could queue some songs up and just wait for them to download.

It left a pretty big void when it died. Even with Google's extensive site indexing, newsgroups, irc channels, peer to peer clients, etc, nothing can find that rare track that Audiogalaxy could.

Ultra Peanut
04-06-2008, 03:34 AM
Audiogalaxy was the best ever, though its centralized nature made its demise inevitable.

Bowser
04-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Limewire has suited needs since Napster bit the bullet.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Good times. I remember finding a particular song I liked on someone else's profile and then looking through their whole profile for other stuff.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Anyone remember Scour?? I remember downloading a couple of Peter North scenes, one on a couch with Chasey Lain and another where he was doing Jenna Jameson doggy style.

After that I went to Kazaa, then stayed with Ares for a long, long time. I've never been a big fan of Limewire, even the "turbo charged" hacked version that I and probably everyone else runs.

BigRock
04-06-2008, 01:40 PM
BitTorrent is the evolution of Napster.
Sure, but Napster was the evolution of things like Hotline, which evolved itself from IRC sharing and Usenet and however else people shared stuff back in the dark ages. They're all connected. But I think BitTorrent will ultimately have the biggest impact, not just because it offers so much more than only music, but the fact that BitTorrent traffic is supposedly taking over the internet.

QuikSsurfer
04-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Anyone remember Scour?? I remember downloading a couple of Peter North scenes, one on a couch with Chasey Lain and another where he was doing Jenna Jameson doggy style.

After that I went to Kazaa, then stayed with Ares for a long, long time. I've never been a big fan of Limewire, even the "turbo charged" hacked version that I and probably everyone else runs.

I LOVED Scour. Just had a great feeling thinking of the memory when I had Scour and Napster running at the same time...

patteeu
04-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Yes. Greatest ever. I'd love to see how much of a boost that app gave to broadband penetration.

MTG#10
04-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I preferred WinMx. But after discovering usenet about 4 years ago, I realized just how shitty p2p apps like Napster, Kazaa, WinMX, and even bittorrent really is.

MTG#10
04-09-2008, 05:51 PM
I remember downloading a couple of Peter North scenes, one on a couch with Chasey Lain and another where he was doing Jenna Jameson doggy style.

Odd how you remember them as Peter North scenes instead of Chasey Lain and Jenna Jameson scenes. :D

Hammock Parties
04-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I remember downloading a couple of Peter North scenes, one on a couch with Chasey Lain and another where he was doing Jenna Jameson doggy style.

Still have both of those. :D