PDA

View Full Version : This isn't shocking but...

Molitoth
04-07-2008, 08:42 AM
I just had to laugh when I saw these side by side...

YANKEES
2007 Salaries
RK PLAYER SALARY (US$)
1 Alex Rodriguez 27,708,525
2 Jason Giambi 23,428,571
3 Derek Jeter 21,600,000
4 Andy Pettitte 16,000,000
Team Total 195,229,045
Team Rank 1st

ROYALS
2007 Salaries
RK PLAYER SALARY (US$)
1 Gil Meche 7,400,000
2 Jose Guillen 5,000,000
3 Brett Tomko 4,100,000
4 Mark Grudzielanek 4,000,000
Team Total 67,366,500
Team Rank 22nd

stlchiefs
04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
I was surprised to see the Royals have the 22nd highest payroll. That's still in the bottom half of the league, but definitely not last anymore and moving closer to middle of the pack. This season, at a minimum the Royals record needs to start reflecting the fact their payroll is middle of the pack.

Sure-Oz
04-07-2008, 08:53 AM
baseball needs a damn salary cap

bkkcoh
04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
for the people complaining, they are attempting to get better by spending money for players. now only if it works. :toast:

Deberg_1990
04-07-2008, 09:35 AM

Yea, no doubt.

27 million a year for one player?? Wow....

stlchiefs
04-07-2008, 09:41 AM
for the people complaining, they are attempting to get better by spending money for players. now only if it works. :toast:

I'm not sure where you are reading of people complaining of the Royals spending money. My comment was simply that they can't use the excuse of being last in payroll any longer. They are closer to the middle of the league and their record needs to reflect that. So far they are playing great, but there is still an entire season of ball to be played.

Unless you're talking about the Yankme's spending money, in that case, f-off. Only a jaded homer is unable to realize that the lack of a salary cap is ruining baseball.

Frazod
04-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Yea, no doubt.

27 million a year for one player?? Wow....

IIRC, Payrod makes more by himself that the entire Marlins roster.

4321 New York

eazyb81
04-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Unless you're talking about the Yankme's spending money, in that case, f-off. Only a jaded homer is unable to realize that the lack of a salary cap is ruining baseball.

I don't think a lack of a salary cap is the problem, but I do think they could use 100% revenue sharing.

A salary cap would just put more money in the hands of the owners because they would have an excuse to not pay players as much money.

R&GHomer
04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
:eek: over 27 million a year... holy crap that's just fuggin retarded.

Deberg_1990
04-07-2008, 11:04 AM
IIRC, Payrod makes more by himself that the entire Marlins roster.

4321 New York

It breaks down to about $40,000 for every plate appearance.

bkkcoh
04-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure where you are reading of people complaining of the Royals spending money. My comment was simply that they can't use the excuse of being last in payroll any longer. They are closer to the middle of the league and their record needs to reflect that. So far they are playing great, but there is still an entire season of ball to be played.

I have heard people say the you can't compete on a walmart budget, what does that mean to you? Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Spending money on players doesn't mean you will win the WS, ask the Yankees about that. You have be smart in spending on the right player and right position based on team need. In most instances that is pitching and then position players.

In order for a team to become a contending team, they have to have a great scouting department. That is something that has caused the Royals problems in the past. The minor league teams were bare and you could tell it on the major league team. They appear to have restocked the minors and now you can seem some of the players trickling to the majors right now and still more waiting at Omaha waiting for the call-ups. :toast: to D. Moore for that....

I don't think a lack of a salary cap is the problem, but I do think they could use 100% revenue sharing.

A salary cap would just put more money in the hands of the owners because they would have an excuse to not pay players as much money.

I don't see any way possible for them to have a legit revenue sharing plan for MLB because of how MLB does the tv contracts.

SBK
04-07-2008, 11:23 AM
It breaks down to about $40,000 for every plate appearance.

I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me. :D

bkkcoh
04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me. :D

heck, I could strike out 4 or 5 times before they cut and I would be happy...... all the way to the bank :) :toast:

stlchiefs
04-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I have heard people say the you can't compete on a walmart budget, what does that mean to you? Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Spending money on players doesn't mean you will win the WS, ask the Yankees about that. You have be smart in spending on the right player and right position based on team need. In most instances that is pitching and then position players.

If the team spends 4 times more than others though, they can afford to make more mistakes with their decisions. Teams with lower payrolls in smaller markets can usually not afford to make a single mistake with a big contract player or it screws them for a few years.

BigMeatballDave
04-07-2008, 02:23 PM
The Yankees are ****ing stupid.

sedated
04-07-2008, 03:19 PM

very eloquent

he's not the best colorman in the league for nothing, folks!

Halfcan
04-07-2008, 03:27 PM
23 mil for roided up Giambi-that has to be wrong.

beer bacon
04-07-2008, 05:08 PM
$23,000,000 for Jason Giambi ROFL

CoMoChief
04-07-2008, 05:50 PM

They tried,
The players went on strike
The league Died

Big Mac and Sosa juiced up
They both helped bring the game back
Now they are getting reamed for juicing.

MLB is ****ing retarded in so many different ways.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Giambi must get about 100 grand per PA, given that he's cobbled together out of bong resin, nandrolone, and surgical sutures.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-07-2008, 06:12 PM
They tried,
The players went on strike
The league Died

Big Mac and Sosa juiced up
They both helped bring the game back
Now they are getting reamed for juicing.

MLB is ****ing retarded in so many different ways.

Perhaps if you didn't have cocksuckers like Don Fehr leading the union and ****tards like Steinbrenner who shells out over 2 million per win per year, you would have had a little bit of a better ability to control the batshit player salaries.

whoman69
04-07-2008, 06:27 PM
The biggest competitive breakdown in baseball is the fact that the Yankees are the only team in baseball that can afford to keep its young talent when they get to free agency. They don't really need a farm system though because they can afford to buy up everyone else's talent when the time comes. When you have a situation where certain teams cannot afford to draft the player they want because they can't afford to sign them something is extremely wrong.

I don't agree a salary cap is needed, more revenue sharing is. Right now the only revenue shared is national television and whatever goes into the salary tax. If 50% of revenues for such things as local network television and radio were thrown in, the Yankees would still have more money than everyone else. The difference would not be as staggering as it is now. The Yankees have to play another team every day. Why do they get all the money. If the Royals and other teams like them simply refused to play the Yankees the problem would be quickly solved. Grand old franchises like Pittsburg may never see the playoffs again.

Money doesn't always equal success, but long term success can only be assured by money. The A's may be the smartest team in baseball but they have to reload every three years and start anew.

JohninGpt
04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
very eloquent

he's not the best colorman in the league for nothing, folks!

Ah, who gives a sh!t, nobody's listening anyway.

Marcellus
04-07-2008, 07:49 PM

I hate the Yankees as much as anybody but heres the thing.

They pay out like this because they can afford it. They are still turning a profit.

I love the fact they haven't been to the series in forever and haven't won it in about 10 years but as much as they throw out the dough, they still aren't close to going broke.

tk13
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
This will sound harsh, but the majority of sports fans still act like it's the mid-90's and make "Wal-Mart" jokes and such. And that isn't about being a "homer", it's about being misinformed. Most people wouldn't even know that the Royals spend more money than several playoff teams last year. Including the Rockies who made the World Series, and the Indians, who probably should've made it except for a massive choke job.

Money's definitely not the issue... the Royals aren't in that Marlins/Pirates/D-Rays neighborhood anymore. If you watched ESPN last year they'd show that graphic with the bottom 8 teams in payroll, and for the first time in 15+ years, the Royals weren't on it. And Dayton has said he wants to continue to increase the payroll up to the middle of the pack, $75-80 million. That'll take the team playing well and fans coming to games... baseball has a crappy salary system, for sure, but at least now we're spending the type of money successful small market teams do, and spending money in Latin America and in the draft, etc.

Hammock Parties
04-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I just had to laugh when I saw these side by side...

YANKEES
2007 Salaries
RK PLAYER SALARY (US$)
1 Alex Rodriguez 27,708,525
2 Jason Giambi 23,428,571
3 Derek Jeter 21,600,000
4 Andy Pettitte 16,000,000
Team Total 195,229,045
Team Rank 1st

ROYALS
2007 Salaries
RK PLAYER SALARY (US$)
1 Gil Meche 7,400,000
2 Jose Guillen 5,000,000
3 Brett Tomko 4,100,000
4 Mark Grudzielanek 4,000,000
Team Total 67,366,500
Team Rank 22nd

actually out salary is at like 58mil, not 67, if i remember correctly

Chiefaholic
04-07-2008, 10:36 PM
http://sportsline.com/mlb/salaries

2008 salaries show the Royals at #25 in the league at $58 million, and the Yankmes at $209 million.