Tarheel land is imploding....

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78#s=78&f=1410&t=2326184&p=1

ChiefsFire
04-07-2008, 11:43 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78#s=78&f=1410&t=2327564

Hootie
04-07-2008, 11:47 PM
hysterical...

why do they care? Roy won a National Championship there like 3 years ago...

I think this was his last way of saying, "I'm sorry and I love you..." to Kansas...I think everyone should friggin' forgive the guy, now...that was pretty ballsy to sit in the KU section with a KU sticker on his shirt...that should mean a lot to all KU fans...

Extra Point
04-07-2008, 11:49 PM
And who was it that won the NCAA Div 1 Championship last year?

BWillie
04-07-2008, 11:50 PM
hysterical...

I think this was his last way of saying, "I'm sorry and I love you..." to Kansas...I think everyone should friggin' forgive the guy, now...that was pretty ballsy to sit in the KU section with a KU sticker on his shirt...that should mean a lot to all KU fans...

Just about all is forgiven. I've always liked Roy even when he went to UNC. I didn't have as much of a problem with it as most KU fans because it was his alma mater and it wasn't about money. I know how hard it was the first time he said no. I can't blame a guy for going back home.

KU fans should have their closure now and wish Roy the best in his endeavors and thank him for his 15 years here.

Reaper16
04-07-2008, 11:51 PM
I think this was his last way of saying, "I'm sorry and I love you..."
Except it was KU delivering the Sweet Chin Music to Flair's head. :)

Reerun_KC
04-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Whos Roy?

Mr. Christopher
04-07-2008, 11:52 PM
It really makes me look at Williams with a lot more respect. I was as pissed as anyone when he left Kansas...and even more pissed when he went and won his first national championship with the Tarheels. I didn't even think I could stomach to watch the Jayhawks play against him and lose.

When I saw Roy on the sidelines with a sticker on his heart, it made me feel like I could let it all go. It's different without him, obviously now for the better. I felt that the Williams chapter in Kansas history was officially closed tonight.

Silock
04-07-2008, 11:52 PM
lol

stlchiefs
04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I posted this on another thread, but wanted to state my agreement with the sentiment of others here:

I agree. I'm sure he wanted a championship, but 2nd to that things couldn't have turned out any better for Roy.

KU proved they've moved on and are better without him and then continued on to win a Championship. I myself can let it go a bit more. Roy showed how hard the decision was for him this past week and showed he still has a place in his heart for KU. Now with some vindication it's easier to let his move go. Classy move on Roy's part.

acesn8s
04-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Discourse in Tarheel land....I like it!

Reerun_KC
04-07-2008, 11:57 PM
It really makes me look at Williams with a lot more respect. I was as pissed as anyone when he left Kansas...and even more pissed when he went and won his first national championship with the Tarheels. I didn't even think I could stomach to watch the Jayhawks play against him and lose.

When I saw Roy on the sidelines with a sticker on his heart, it made me feel like I could let it all go. It's different without him, obviously now for the better. I felt that the Williams chapter in Kansas history was officially closed tonight.
:deevee: QFT!

That brought a tear to my eye.

KCChiefsMan
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Who's Roy Williams? The safety for the Cowboys?

stlchiefs
04-08-2008, 12:01 AM

It's a synonym for a penalty also known as a Horse Collar Tackle.

acesn8s
04-08-2008, 12:06 AM
WR Detroit Lions

teedubya
04-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, God bless Roy. I harbor ZERO bitterness... I am so glad that I have cleansed this from my soul.

ChiefsFire
04-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah, God bless Roy. I harbor ZERO bitterness... I am so glad that I have cleansed this from my soul.

That was classy and ballsy all at the same time.

Raiderhater
04-08-2008, 12:18 AM
I have always hated KU with a deep passion, but always respected Roy, as hard as it was since he was their coach. Tonight showed why he has that respect. Being at the game was one thing, to wear that sticker was quite another. The guy is class all the way. Any KU fan who cannot forgive the guy and move on after tonight is beyond hope.

Raiderhater
04-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Heh, reading the Tarheels board is funny as hell. Talk about overreacting to a non-issue....

PhillyChiefFan
04-08-2008, 05:18 AM
I have to admit, I was surprised to see him sitting there with a Jayhawk on his shirt. Especially after KU sent UNC home two nights before.

The UNC people have to understand that he was at KU for 15 years, how could you not have high hopes for a team that he coached for so long.

From the UNC fans perspective though, I can imagine it would me me feel like Roy was somewhat of a Benedict Arnold.

ChiefsFanatic
04-08-2008, 05:34 AM
If KU had not given him a chance, there would be no "Roy Williams." If Kansas had not given him a chance, Dean Smith never could have disrupted our title run in 2003 to convince Roy to come back to Carolina. They wanted him so bad, he won them a National Championship, and because he was wearing a Jayhawk sticker they want to give him the boot? Well, Doherty would probably come back.

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2008, 05:38 AM
I couldn't help but wonder how UNC fans would react to that. I'm not surprised that the answer is "poorly."

I think this was his last way of saying, "I'm sorry and I love you..." to Kansas...LMAO

Bob Dole
04-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Discourse in Tarheel land....I like it!

Communication is always a good thing. :rolleyes:

Dartgod
04-08-2008, 06:50 AM
This is hilarious. If KU had lost to Illinois in the semis and then Self showed up at the championship game blatently supporting the Illini, what would the KU fans think?

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2008, 07:01 AM
This is hilarious. If KU had lost to Illinois in the semis and then Self showed up at the championship game blatently supporting the Illini, what would the KU fans think?The server would definitely go down from the righteous idignation.

DaKCMan AP
04-08-2008, 07:05 AM
And who was it that won the NCAA Div 1 Championship last year?

:shrug:

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2008, 07:15 AM
George Mason. Duh.

04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Holy crap!!! How stupid are those fans? I don't know about them but when KU loses in the tourneys past, I have generally always rooted for that team to win it all so we can at least say we lost to the eventual champs. DUKE is the ONLY exception to that rule.

Skip Towne
04-08-2008, 07:38 AM
This should end the Roy hate for most of us. Now we can have a Roy appreciation night at AFH.

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2008, 07:41 AM
I have always hated KU with a deep passion, but always respected Roy, as hard as it was since he was their coach. Tonight showed why he has that respect. Being at the game was one thing, to wear that sticker was quite another. The guy is class all the way. Any KU fan who cannot forgive the guy and move on after tonight is beyond hope.

I was bitter, even angry, the first year he left. After that, I returned to my senses....even if I still have to give him/other people a hard time about how he left. He is one of the classiest coaches in the country. No doubt about it. I've always like NC; still do. And unless they are playing Kansas, with Roy there....I'll always cheer for them.

Lzen
04-08-2008, 07:42 AM
hysterical...

Well said, Hootie. I agree. I thought it was a real classy thing for the guy to do. I don't hold any ill will toward Roy.

ArrowheadHawk
04-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Roy has been forgiven. Self did in five years what Roy couldn't do in fifteen.

Lzen
04-08-2008, 07:46 AM
This is hilarious. If KU had lost to Illinois in the semis and then Self showed up at the championship game blatently supporting the Illini, what would the KU fans think?

Completely different scenario, IMO.

Dartgod
04-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Completely different scenario, IMO.
How so? If my scenario played out, KU fans would be furious. And I wouldn't blame them.

Spicy McHaggis
04-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I think this was his last way of saying, "I'm sorry and I love you..." to Kansas

Phone Call

Roy: Hey. It's me.
KU: Oh. How's going?
Roy: Okay, I guess. A bit of a rough Saturday. Listen KU, I'm...
KU: Roy, don't.
Roy: No, dammit I need to say this! I didn't want it to end like I did. I've felt terrible about it. I've lost weight, my hair has gone white. I just want to say I'm sorry.
KU: It's okay, Roy. I saw you last night. It was just like it used to be, wasn't it? Those were some good times we had.
Roy: They were, weren't they?
KU: Yeah. But things have changed. And I mean, Dean's a great guy, you seem really happy together. And Roy? I forgive you.

(Bruce Springsteen's "Secret Garden" Plays)

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
How so? If my scenario played out, KU fans would be furious. And I wouldn't blame them.

Self didn't coach 15 years at Illinois. And he never said, "I'm stayin'"--in circumstances that clearly indicated, at the time, he planned on retiring at Illinois after 3 final four appearances and 400 wins.

Simply Red
04-08-2008, 08:03 AM
and you all were saying how much you can't stand him. UNC may be mad now.

Dartgod
04-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Self didn't coach 15 years at Illinois. And he never said, "I'm stayin'"--in circumstances that clearly indicated, at the time, he planned on retiring at Illinois after 3 final four appearances and 400 wins.
Why would the UNC fans give a shit about any of that? Makes no sense. They were pissed because Roy showed up at the Championship game sportin' a Jawhawk logo.

If Self did the same thing had KU lost to Illinois in the semis, the KU fans would go ballistic. You can't deny it.

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Why would the UNC fans give a shit about any of that? Makes no sense. They were pissed because Roy showed up at the Championship game sportin' a Jawhawk logo.

If Self did the same thing had KU lost to Illinois in the semis, the KU fans would go ballistic. You can't deny it.

Any NC fan who doesn't understand why Roy wore a Jayhawk sticker and who are pissed about it....aren't particularly bright.

If Self had served at Illinios, as long and in the way Roy served Kansas, and he then showed up in a final four cheering for Illinois in the Championship game (assuming Kansas wasn't playing against Illinois)....I would completely understand his reasoning and rational.

Dartgod
04-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Any NC fan who doesn't understand why Roy wore a Jayhawk sticker and who are pissed about it....aren't particularly bright.

If Self had served at Illinios, as long and in the way Roy served Kansas, and he then showed up in a final four cheering for Illinois in the Championship game (assuming Kansas wasn't playing against Illinois)....I would completely understand his reasoning and rational.
You might, but there are many more who would react exactly as the UNC fans are. MANY more...

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2008, 08:31 AM
You might, but there are many more who would react exactly as the UNC fans are. MANY more...

And if they have half a brain, they'll figure it out and get over it.

Kinda like I did get over Roy leaving Kansas; I wasn't "happy" about it, but I came to understand.

Dartgod
04-08-2008, 08:37 AM
And if they have half a brain....
Are you new here?

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Are you new here?

:hmmm:

Good point....heh.

ROFL

Mr. Plow
04-08-2008, 08:45 AM
hysterical...

I feel dirty for saying this......but I agree with Hootie.

I need a shower.

DeezNutz
04-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I was disgusted by the way Roy left, and I've voiced these feelings on the Planet before. Beating NC helped the healing process a lot, but Roy's actions last night were even more helpful. I'm sorry for any over-the-top hateful things I might have said about the man, and I wish him nothing but the best.

I hope Jayhawk nation takes the initiative to add Roy to the highlight film before home games, and he should be honored at halftime sometime soon.

xbarretx
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
I was disgusted by the way Roy left, and I've voiced these feelings on the Planet before. Beating NC helped the healing process a lot, but Roy's actions last night were even more helpful. I'm sorry for any over-the-top hateful things I might have said about the man, and I wish him nothing but the best.

I hope Jayhawk nation takes the initiative to add Roy to the highlight film before home games, and he should be honored at halftime sometime soon.

yeah that nice KU sticker on his shirt was classy too :shake: i still hate Roy.

Reerun_KC
04-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Maybe R8ders can come back and tell us all about Roy and how KU has no chance to win the NC....

xbarretx
04-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Maybe R8ders can come back and tell us all about Roy and how KU has no chance to win the NC....

they would have lost if it wasnt for Mem taking shots of "choking potions" during the last time 3 minutes of regulation...

KU fans will want to sell this victory as a surpeme triumph however, the game was Mems to lose ... and lose they did.... :thumb:

Reerun_KC
04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
they would have lost if it wasnt for Mem taking shots of "choking potions" during the last time 3 minutes of regulation...

KU fans will want to sell this victory as a surpeme triumph however, the game was Mems to lose ... and lose they did.... :thumb:
True, KU did what it had to, to put Memphis on the line and take the chance...

xbarretx
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
True, KU did what it had to, to put Memphis on the line and take the chance...

:KU: rep!

truth be told i am not against :KU: however my wife and inlaws constantly over cheer to the point where its annoying....next year ill have to watch the games alone b/c an entire game of :cuss: cheers after EVERY SINGLE SHOT,STEAL, "anything" gets old old OLD!!! :shake:

anyone else have that problem? i think im just crazy :p

Molitoth
04-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Lol @ tardheel fans

Mr. Plow
04-08-2008, 10:27 AM
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2008/04/08/08/61-NCAA_Final_20.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.57.JPG

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2008/04/08/08/253-NCAA_Final_27.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.57.JPG

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2008/04/07/23/692-Final_Four_Kansas_Memphis_B.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.57.JPG

Mr. Plow
04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
I love this shit.

I most certainly will NOT! Roy owes Tar Heel nation an apology, period! He screwed up on Saturday night big time and then added salt to the wound with his over the top Kansas love. I am sick and tired of the Kansas love this man has, if he loves them so much maybe he should consider going back if that position opens up.

I wasn't lucky enough to get accepted to UNC for reasons I will not go into, but my love for this university started when I was in diapers. My grandfather and father both graduated from UNC, class of 62 and 87 respectfully. I recieved 2 angry phone calls early this morning, both said they are sick of the Roy love fest. Both have tickets to a Rams club meeting in Charlotte on April 28th and said they will not attend after this fiasco, "burn them" one said. Between them the have commited over 75k per year to this great university for the last 7 years, and a lesser dollar amount the years before that so they are heavily invested. They will be writing a letter to the board of goveners today recinding that commitment until Roy either applogizes publicly, writes a letter to them personally or walks away from this university forever.

I tried to make light of this situation, but the more I think of it the more it stings

Hootie
04-08-2008, 12:50 PM

Self spent four friggin' years at Illinois...and has no roots to Illinois whatsoever...stupid comparison.

Hootie
04-08-2008, 12:53 PM

because Self went through jack shit at Illinois...it was just another stepping stone for him...he never even took that team to a final four...it's a terrible comparison...dumbass.

Hootie
04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
UNC is awful bitter for having a coach who recruits all-american after all-american and has won a national championship and appeared in another final four in his first 5 years at the university...

what a joke some fans are...

Baby Lee
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Phone Call

Roy: Hey. It's me.
KU: Oh. How's going?
Roy: Okay, I guess. A bit of a rough Saturday. Listen KU, I'm...
KU: Roy, don't.
Roy: No, dammit I need to say this! I didn't want it to end like I did. I've felt terrible about it. I've lost weight, my hair has gone white. I just want to say I'm sorry.
KU: It's okay, Roy. I saw you last night. It was just like it used to be, wasn't it? Those were some good times we had.
Roy: They were, weren't they?
KU: Yeah. But things have changed. And I mean, Dean's a great guy, you seem really happy together. And Roy? I forgive you.

(Bruce Springsteen's "Secret Garden" Plays)

Man, it's like, I lost a lover and a best friend, . . . and you've lost a lover and you've lost a best friend.
And while you've gained a lover and a best friend, I've gained a few lovers, a lover, but I have no best friend.

I miss you . . . I miss you, I miss you. Here while my professional life is at like a noin, while my personal life is at a two.

Mr. Plow
04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Well Thank God Roy has finally made his Kansas family happy and all it took was burning the bridge to the majority of carolina fans. I hope it was worth it.

Love it.

Que Card QB
04-08-2008, 01:53 PM
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2008/04/08/08/253-NCAA_Final_27.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.57.JPG
Look at me! I can't put a sticker on straight. Yay!

DJJasonp
04-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Agreed......after the past 3 days....I've officially moved on.

smittysbar
04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
UNC is awful bitter for having a coach who recruits all-american after all-american and has won a national championship and appeared in another final four in his first 5 years at the university...

what a joke some fans are...

They should be bitter IMO

Speaking of recruiting, say Self is going after a kid that Roy is pursuing also............Self puts a picture of Roy out on the table showing him rooting for KU after KU beat there ass, now son what program do you like better?..........pretty good recruiting tool if you ask me.

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2008, 05:29 PM
They should be bitter IMO

Speaking of recruiting, say Self is going after a kid that Roy is pursuing also............Self puts a picture of Roy out on the table showing him rooting for KU after KU beat there ass, now son what program do you like better?..........pretty good recruiting tool if you ask me.

Man. :rolleyes:

Some of you folks around here seem to think real life operates like this damn Discussion Board....seriously. Most of us gave up such petty bullshit, in real life, back in Junior fuggin' high. Unbelievable.

What about, Roy's response:

"Hey, I gave that University 15 years of my life. I made good friends and have great memories. If you want to hold that against me, I can't stop you....but in my world, relationships and loyalty are worth more than mere lip-service. I'd have given anything to have been there playing Kansas in the Championship, but we weren't. And if we had made it, I'd have done everything I could have to beat them. Instead, we got beat by a good team in the semis; sometimes that happens in basketball....you lose games. When you do, you are still a human being...and their ain't a damn thing wrong with cheering for friends, and people and a University who are like family, in many ways to me. If that seems fugged up to you, you should go ahead and sign with Duke or Florida son....cause you would not be the kind of kid who will do well here, if that's the way you think."

Put that in your pipe and smoke it....:shake:

Buehler445
04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
To me, Roy is just....meh.

Here are the facts:
Roy resurrected a program
Roy won a ****load of games at KU
Roy got a lot of national attention for KU
Roy made the university a mint of money
Roy said he would stay and classlessly just got on a plane without even giving a press conference

Nothing can change any of that. He did a lot of good things and then ended it like a penis and no amount of stickers or PR tactics he tries to come up with will take that back. Any of it. The good or the bad.

Do I think he regrets ending it the way he did? Yes. But he still did it. Just like when I got a speeding ticket last month, I really REALLY wished I hadn't done that, but I did, and I can't take it back.

I hold nothing against Roy. Nothing at all. He made his decision and we moved on. That being said, I can't say "he's a class act all the way!" because he pulled a penis move. He is what he is. He did a lot of good things for the university and then bitched out. That's all. No more, no less.

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2008, 10:26 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8laAlpFy57Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8laAlpFy57Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sure-Oz
04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I would be pissed a bit if I were a tarheel fan, considering KU just wooped their ass and he's there the next game, with a damn KU sticker on his shirt. Atleast keep it low key? I did hear that he did promise to watch the game regardless of outcome, but still

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2008, 10:29 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddXfc0mQfxc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddXfc0mQfxc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

BWillie
04-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I would be pissed a bit if I were a tarheel fan, considering KU just wooped their ass and he's there the next game, with a damn KU sticker on his shirt. Atleast keep it low key? I did hear that he did promise to watch the game regardless of outcome, but still

If UNC fans educated themselves on the circumstances they shouldn't be upset. Alot of them are oblivious to his experiences at KU though.

Lets say hypothetically if Tom Izzo from Michigan State came here to coach and he did the same thing. KU fans would have no reason to be upset unless they thought there would be a chance that he would leave to go back to this school. This certainly would never be the case for KU and ROY.

Sure-Oz
04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
If UNC fans educated themselves on the circumstances they shouldn't be upset. Alot of them are oblivious to his experiences at KU though.

Lets say hypothetically if Tom Izzo from Michigan State came here to coach and he did the same thing. KU fans would have no reason to be upset unless they thought there would be a chance that he would leave to go back to this school. This certainly would never be the case for KU and ROY.

Roy was being respectful and hopefully KU fans hate him less now

smittysbar
04-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Man. :rolleyes:

Some of you folks around here seem to think real life operates like this damn Discussion Board....seriously. Most of us gave up such petty bullshit, in real life, back in Junior fuggin' high. Unbelievable.

What about, Roy's response:

"Hey, I gave that University 15 years of my life. I made good friends and have great memories. If you want to hold that against me, I can't stop you....but in my world, relationships and loyalty are worth more than mere lip-service. I'd have given anything to have been there playing Kansas in the Championship, but we weren't. And if we had made it, I'd have done everything I could have to beat them. Instead, we got beat by a good team in the semis; sometimes that happens in basketball....you lose games. When you do, you are still a human being...and their ain't a damn thing wrong with cheering for friends, and people and a University who are like family, in many ways to me. If that seems fugged up to you, you should go ahead and sign with Duke or Florida son....cause you would not be the kind of kid who will do well here, if that's the way you think."

Put that in your pipe and smoke it....:shake:

Sorry you didn't like my response, but I would be pissed.

BTW the stuff about being able to use it for recruiting, was talked about on 810 today and other sources agreed.

This is my opinion, if you don't like it, I don't give a shit.

Mr. Kotter
04-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Sorry you didn't like my response, but I would be pissed.

BTW the stuff about being able to use it for recruiting, was talked about on 810 today and other sources agreed.

This is my opinion, if you don't like it, I don't give a shit.

I'm just thinking if I were you...IF I were you, and I had this opinion....I would be looking at myself in the mirror thinking, "Man, I guess I really ought to grow up a bit." While I understand 'dumbassery' on a silly discussion board, I don't have a lot of patience for such silliness in real life.

Just my opinion, if you don't like it, I don't care really either. Just making a point I think some will appreciate.

smittysbar
04-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm just thinking if I were you...IF I were you, and I had this opinion....I would be looking at myself in the mirror thinking, "Man, I guess I really ought to grow up a bit." While I understand 'dumbassery' on a silly discussion board, I don't have a lot of patience for such silliness in real life.

Just my opinion, if you don't like it, I don't care really either. Just making a point I think some will appreciate.

And who the hell are you to judge others?

'dumbassery'......I don't have patience for silliness either, think you are reading a little more into this than you should be. If I would be pissed that a head coach of my favorite team would do this, is nothing more than a opinion. But since you know everything, you seem to be able to take this little comment and know how a person is in real life. 'dumbassery' at it's best, or maybe it is because you might be an arrogant know it all prick. Either way I think other would look at this differently if the tables were turned.