View Full Version : Talib a druggie ... dropping off draft boards

Mr. Laz
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
The Way We Hear It — draft edition
Character concerns drop Talib, Manningham from multiple draft boards

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 8, 2008
<!-- Start Inform sidebar --><!-- End Inform sidebar -->
Two potential first-round, early-entry juniors — Kansas CB Aqib Talib and Michigan WR Mario Manningham — have been removed from the draft boards of multiple NFL teams because of character concerns.

<table align="left" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>http://www.profootballweekly.com/NR/rdonlyres/ewjr2pununbsmcxsd7hypit52gv6aznpt46gf2z537wnc3ocl7h42qr73ajasvcdvtmhwgya2tg7eg/offtheboard200.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Kansas CB Aqib Talib (left) and
Michigan WR Mario Manningham
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Specifically, Talib admitted at the Combine to testing positive for marijuana three times while at the University of Kansas, according to several league sources. While teams appreciated Talib’s honesty, it bothered one team that Talib dismissed the first positive test because he said he had told Kansas head coach Mark Mangino that he was going to test positive. Manningham, unlike Talib, denied testing positive at any time throughout college when the question was posed at the Combine about his past marijuana use. He also worked out poorly at the Combine after having waited to sign an agent and showing up unprepared to the annual event.

After hiring an agent, however, Manningham showed up in better physical condition at his pro day and ran considerably faster. He also distributed a letter to NFL team officials admitting that he "wasn't straightforward" during team interviews at the Combine, had failed two drug tests while at the University of Michigan and apologized for any confusion he caused as a result of being “nervous and scared.”

“I don’t use marijuana anymore — and I have passed tests since,” Manningham wrote in the letter. “I know what is at stake for me, and my career. I am learning what it is going to take to be a professional. I am writing this letter because I just want a fair evaluation, and I want to be accountable for my actions. I am willing to be re-interviewed, re-tested, and to undergo any evaluation any team wants me to undergo.”

The way we hear it, Manningham, despite handling the situation poorly at the Combine with little guidance, is viewed as less of a character risk than Talib, who has been removed from more draft boards than Manningham, based on conversations PFW has had with nine NFL teams.

“There is no way I’d touch (Talib),” one team told PFW. “He’s gotten into a lot of trouble, and he still does not get it.”
“He’s got a laundry list of issues,” another team executive said of Talib's off-the-field behavior. “He’s not a one-time offender. Give a guy like him money, and it never gets better. It only gets worse.”

Talib was suspended for two games in 2006 for disciplinary reasons and has numerous non-drug-related issues that concern teams, although he has told teams that he has changed his ways since his daughter was born on June 22, 2007.
Manningham has drawn more sympathy than Talib from teams who have interviewed the pair.

“(Manningham) does not have a strong support network; he just had his grandfather. He needs a lot of guidance," a club official told PFW. "He is embarrassed by his past. He’s really reserved and quiet. Lloyd Carr vouches for him, and they have not always seen eye to eye.”

Manningham was also suspended for the Eastern Michigan game last season "due to Coach Carr's determination that I was lacking in focus," Manningham wrote in his letter.

Both players could still wind up being drafted in the first round, because they possess great football playing instincts and elite athletic ability. However, they could easily slide a round because too many teams have removed them from draft consideration.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/wwhi040808.htm

Bowser
04-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Sounds like Warren Sapp, part deux (and no, I'm not saying that either Manningham nor Talib have the same potential Sapp had).

I'd consider both in the second, and snatch one of the two up in the third, if they're still there.

Brock
04-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Mel still thinks he goes to NO.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-09-2008, 10:50 AM
So Mel Kiper gets paid off in weed. Now that's interesting.

Direckshun
04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
I still think he goes to Dallas, who has a record of reeeeally not caring about that kind of stuff.

Thig Lyfe
04-09-2008, 11:11 AM
They're making Talib look like Pacman Freakin' Jones. That's ridiculous.

BigChiefFan
04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
So Mel Kiper gets paid off in weed. Now that's interesting.

Mel must get a good hook-up, because he pimps the Hell out of Talib and I just don't understand the fascination, until now.:bong:

Mecca
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I honestly could careless about the weed thing, truth is um most people in college smoke weed.

Chiefnj2
04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
You don't risk a first or early second round pick on someone that has failed 3 times. If he wasn't willing to stop smoking before his pocket is full of cash, there is little incentive to do so after.

DBO82
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
I honestly could careless about the weed thing, truth is um most people in college smoke weed.

Do they drink alcohol and have sex out of wedlock?

PhillyChiefFan
04-10-2008, 07:47 AM

Gasp! What?!?! :D And honestly so does most in the NFL, they just are smarter about it.

Mr. Laz
04-10-2008, 09:29 AM
apparently it was more about Talib's "so what" attitude about getting caught as much as it was "getting caught"

OnTheWarpath15
04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
You don't risk a first or early second round pick on someone that has failed 3 times. If he wasn't willing to stop smoking before his pocket is full of cash, there is little incentive to do so after.

We'd be the dumbasses to do it, considering we're about to give $100M to a guy who's been caught drinking and driving twice.