PDA

View Full Version : Royals Noteable Improvments

petegz28
04-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Ok so 6-2 into this young season. Is it luck? Is it talent? Probably some of both. But the glaring improvements are just that, GLARING!

1. Pitching: Pitchers are attacking hitters, pitching to contact and not getting rattled. Our walks seem to have improved, Buck is calling great games and our Pitchers approach the mound with a slight swagger and definite plan on what they need to do. Hats off to our pitching coach!

2. Plate discipline: Hitters seems to be working counts more and not just free-swinging or always chasing the first pitch (ala Sweeney)

3. Baserunning: This probably the most noteable of them all. We are running the bases. We are running the bases with everyone too, not just Gathright. Yes we have ran ourselves out of good situations and times but it is paying off. Example "4/9 game vs. NY Gathright gets caught stealing 3rd. Next inning Gload is on 2nd and the pitcher is faking pick offs to 2nd to keep GLOAD close.

4. Fundamentals: Wea re doing the little things right. We are not making stupid erorrs, we don't look like we aren't in the game mentaly. Hitters are hitting behind runners and fielders are backing up their pitcher.

5. Coaching: Arguably the biggest difference. Our whole team attitude is different. You can just feel it. Whatever it is Hillman is telling these guys they are buying into it. I think the addition of Kuntz as our 1st base coach is also an unoticed improvement.

All and all it is still early but I have to be nothing less than impressed with how our team has started this season.

Thoughts?

jidar
04-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Yep, I agree, I'm seeing all of this too.
I hardly want to say anything though because I feel like it's a house of cards and if I breath too hard it'll come crumbling down. Even so me and my co-workers have written the Royals record up on our white board... we dare to dream.

HypnotizedMonkey
04-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I like that they're doing well, but it's a long season.
Hopefully they can keep it up!
Go Royals!

kcchiefsus
04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
2. Plate discipline: Hitters seems to be working counts more and not just free-swinging or always chasing the first pitch (ala Sweeney)

That is, everybody except for Tony Pena jr.

Reerun_KC
04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Youth and a Real GM.....

Molitoth
04-10-2008, 08:27 AM
I am impressed so far. This could be a great season.

Dartgod
04-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Love the optimism petegz. Weren't you on the game thread last night predicting a choke job after we let a couple of runners on in the eighth inning?

petegz28
04-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Love the optimism petegz. Weren't you on the game thread last night predicting a choke job after we let a couple of runners on in the eighth inning?

Yes when Yobuta put two on I was afraid the Yanks were going to make us pay. Gobble impressed me.

But hey can you blame me? How often does any team blankt he Yanks for 8 innings and then give them 2 on in the 9th and still keep them scoreless?

tyton75
04-10-2008, 08:31 AM
I really like DeJesus, but I really don't want them to take Gaithright out of the lineup... what happens to DeJesus when he is ready to come back?

petegz28
04-10-2008, 08:32 AM
I really like DeJesus, but I really don't want them to take Gaithright out of the lineup... what happens to DeJesus when he is ready to come back?

DeJesus is my favorite player on the team but I wil tell you right now Joey is making it hard to take him out of the starting lineup.

Adept Havelock
04-10-2008, 08:32 AM

Trade?

tomahawk kid
04-10-2008, 08:40 AM

TJ's driving me nuts.

If I were Hillman, I'd threaten to fine him $10k for every first pitch he swings at.

He's as bad as Angel Berroa in that regard.

tomahawk kid
04-10-2008, 08:41 AM
DeJesus is my favorite player on the team but I wil tell you right now Joey is making it hard to take him out of the starting lineup.

I really wish David was as good / as fast as he thinks he is.

If Gathright continues to show progress as a hitter, it's hard to justify taking him out of the lineup. The defense is already there.

The catch he made against Minnesota on Sunday was Willie Wilson-esque.

SCTrojan
04-10-2008, 08:41 AM

I am not a great proponent of taking the first pitch regardless. I think if it's a strike and it's in a location you can handle, take a good cut at it. But I do think that the strike-zone discipline has been a bit better in these first eight games.

I think both Pena and Guillen are pressing because they've started slowly. That causes people to hack, which you saw during Guillen's first AB and with Pena most of the night. A couple of hits and a good stretch should cure that, I hope.

I do like the way they look and am hopeful for the season. The pitching and defense have been the most important factor so far, IMO. If Greinke and Banny can keep going and Meche can get back to form, who knows what could happen.

petegz28
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
TJ's driving me nuts.

If I were Hillman, I'd threaten to fine him $10k for every first pitch he swings at.

He's as bad as Angel Berroa in that regard.

First off Pena was picked up as a stop gap.

Secondly when you struggle like he does at the plate swinging at the first pitch is not always a bad thing.

Thirdly his D is obviously good enough to keep him in the lineup or Caillespo would be in more.

As long as he bats #9 I am fine.:D

Let's not forget who won the season opener for us too.

petegz28
04-10-2008, 08:44 AM
I am not a great proponent of taking the first pitch regardless. I think if it's a strike and it's in a location you can handle, take a good cut at it. But I do think that the strike-zone discipline has been a bit better in these first eight games.

I think both Pena and Guillen are pressing because they've started slowly. That causes people to hack, which you saw during Guillen's first AB and with Pena most of the night. A couple of hits and a good stretch should cure that, I hope.

I do like the way they look and am hopeful for the season. The pitching and defense have been the most important factor so far, IMO. If Greinke and Banny can keep going and Meche can get back to form, who knows what could happen.

Pena actually had a couple great hits last night. They just hung up enough for fielders to get to them. But he made some good solid contact.

Chief Chief
04-10-2008, 09:14 AM
TJ's bat position to start with is poor: He's got the head of the bat hanging over his left shoulder which means he has to start his swing before he has a good read on the pitch. Shorten it up and he'll have better (more level) swings even though he'll lose a bit of power. But, then again, he's not expected to do power-hitting when batting ninth.

Trey needs to install a traffic light at 3rd base when Joey gets to 2nd base. There's no need for him to be there when you've got the heart of the order hitting. When DeJesus returns to the line-up, Trey will probably put Joey in LF for a game or two to spell Teahen and maybe in RF to relieve Guillen. In the meantime, he'll be used to pinch-run until DeJesus/Teahen/Guillen struggles.

Butler ROCKS!!!

keg in kc
04-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't think it's luck, but remember this optimism when they go on a losing streak (and they will go on one at some point). Don't let yourself get down. Whatever it is, they're showing signs of hope for the future, and maybe for the present. Whether they finish the year with 75 wins or 85 wins, the 6-2 start is what baseball could look like in KC for the next few years.

Sure-Oz
04-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Pena definetly is not the future at SS, he'd make a solid backup SS

Deberg_1990
04-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Pena definetly is not the future at SS, he'd make a solid backup SS

Its Mike Moustakas time in another year or two!!!

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Like I said before, they're making the playoffs this year. :thumb:

teedubya
04-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Imagine how awesome the Royals would be if they played every game in 70+ degree Olathe weather! Man!

tomahawk kid
04-10-2008, 09:49 AM

I've heard Moustakas' glove is brutal right now.

markk
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
dejesus really regressed last year. if he can hit around .300 like he has previously in his career we can find a place for him. but last year at .260, he wasnt a player who belonged in the majors given that he doesn't really have anything else to offer. hopefully when he gets healthy he will straighten it out

bkkcoh
04-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Pena actually had a couple great hits last night. They just hung up enough for fielders to get to them. But he made some good solid contact.

When that happens, he just needs a bloop to find a hole in the defense and then that will give him more confidence. It must be tough to hit the ball well and it finds a glove of the fielder makes a tremendous play to make an out.

bsp4444
04-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I was scared to death when I watched the outfield playing shallow in spring training, but I must say that for every ball that has them running towards the back wall there are 3-5 that are caught that might have dropped in front for hits before.
I'm still concerned for the future because Hochever looks like a bust (four runs in 4 1/3 innings last start), Moustakas is not hitting OR fielding in A ball. I know it's early for Moose, but Hochever?

R&GHomer
04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
The verdict is still out for me, but they have looked really good so far. I'm not getting sucked in just yet, but beating the crap out of the Yankees gives me hope, and that's something I haven't had with the Royal's in quite some time… Let’s see if they can keep it up.

markk
04-10-2008, 10:45 AM
i can't really figure out hochevar... looking at his numbers on baseball cube, his whip, bb and strikeout numbers are fine. why is his ERA high?

Coach
04-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I've heard Moustakas' glove is brutal right now.

That's correct. I believe he has 5 errors in 8 games at shortstop if I'm not mistaken.

cmh6476
04-10-2008, 10:59 AM

Moustakas has like 4 errors thus far at short. They were saying ont he radio he is not a major league SS. He'll probably transition to 3rd, while Gordon goes to 1st, or he'll play one of the corner OF positions, maybe right as they said he has a cannon arm.

Is this the guy the Royals keep trying to get from LA:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=464341

:shrug:

petegz28
04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I was scared to death when I watched the outfield playing shallow in spring training, but I must say that for every ball that has them running towards the back wall there are 3-5 that are caught that might have dropped in front for hits before.
I'm still concerned for the future because Hochever looks like a bust (four runs in 4 1/3 innings last start), Moustakas is not hitting OR fielding in A ball. I know it's early for Moose, but Hochever?

They were just talking abotu how Hochever had a breakout spring training and could be closer than you think.

SCTrojan
04-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Dayton Moore on WHB right now - saying that pitching is doing very well, but they've missed some opportunities on offense.

Coach
04-10-2008, 11:13 AM
i can't really figure out hochevar... looking at his numbers on baseball cube, his whip, bb and strikeout numbers are fine. why is his ERA high?

Too early to judge ERA's, since there are relievers and some starters who had high ERA's.

I'd wait until at least June where it's kinda evens out a bit. I usually go with ERA+ and WHIP more often though.

Wa-Z
04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
The verdict is still out for me, but they have looked really good so far. I'm not getting sucked in just yet, but beating the crap out of the Yankees gives me hope, and that's something I haven't had with the Royal's in quite some time… Let’s see if they can keep it up.

Nothin like whoopin on the Yankees...but they are without some key players. Regardless I'm loving the way this season is starting. From the outside looking in you can tell the coaching is tremendous. Same with the Chiefs, you can just tell how bad the coaching sucks there. Funny how things change.

Dartgod
04-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Dayton Moore on WHB right now - saying that pitching is doing very well, but they've missed some opportunities on offense.
Yep. We left 11 on base in the home opener.

Coach
04-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Yep. We left 11 on base in the home opener.

And we left 8 on base last night.

SithCeNtZ
04-10-2008, 11:24 AM

Hochaver went 5 2/3 innings last night giving up 2 ER on 2 hits and 2 walks with 6 k's and currently has an ERA of 3.97 on the season. Sure sounds like a bust to me.

Dartgod
04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Hochaver went 5 2/3 innings last night giving up 2 ER on 2 hits and 2 walks with 6 k's and currently has an ERA of 3.97 on the season. Sure sounds like a bust to me.
3.97 ERA after TWO games is a bust? Welcome to the Petegz Optimists Club. He's waiving the 30 day probationary period.

keg in kc
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I think I detected some sarcasm in that post.

StcChief
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
let's see where they are at all star break.

Coach
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
3.97 ERA after TWO games is a bust? Welcome to the Petegz Optimists Club. He's waiving the 30 day probationary period.

LMAO

markk
04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
jeez... not everyone is greg maddux in his prime. a guy pitching sub 4 will have a long career in the majors. some people arent happy with anything i suppose

Coach
04-10-2008, 11:41 AM

In only two games. TWO!

How about giving the guy at least 10 more starts to make a determination?

P. Hughes has a ERA of 5.00. Is he a bust?
J. Garland has a ERA of 5.54. Is that a bust as well?
M. Buehrle has a ERA of 8.31. Yep, according to SithCeNtz's bust-a-meter, it's a big bust.

:rolleyes:

keg in kc
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Daniel Cortes (the other dude we got along with Lumsden, in the MacDougal trade) had a start for NW Arkansas this week, gave up 1 ER on 3 hits in 4 and a third innings, with 3 walks and 4 Ks. This is the kid with the upper 90s stuff that could end up being the best arm we have.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Royals are now a good alternative to spending time here.

Demonpenz
04-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Dejesus will be fine we all the players we can.

Dartgod
04-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Daniel Cortes (the other dude we got along with Lumsden, in the MacDougal trade) had a start for NW Arkansas this week, gave up 1 ER on 3 hits in 4 and a third innings, with 3 walks and 4 Ks. This is the kid with the upper 90s stuff that could end up being the best arm we have.If either one of those guys pan out, the MacDougal trade was a good one. If both of them do, then Dayton Moore will have ass-raped the Sox on that deal.

What's MacDougal up to these days anyway?

Dartgod
04-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I think I detected some sarcasm in that post.
Could be. My Sarcasm-O-Meter is in the shop.

Sure-Oz
04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Still pitching for the Sox, had a 6.80 era last year and so far he has pitched 5 ip 3 er 4bb 4k

Sure-Oz
04-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Sisco for Gload may seem like a "steal" now...he just underwent tommy john surgery and is out 12-24 months haha

Burgos is on the DL recovering from elbow surgery as well...

Deberg_1990
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
What's MacDougal up to these days anyway?

Whatever happened to Runelvys Hernandez and Jeremy Affeldt ???

Dartgod
04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Sisco for Gload may seem like a "steal" now...he just underwent tommy john surgery and is out 12-24 months haha

Burgos is on the DL recovering from elbow surgery as well...
Did we get Bannister for Burgos?

keg in kc
04-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Affeldt was with the Rockies the last two seasons. He's in Cincinnati now, still pitching out of the bullpen.

I didn't have any idea where Runelvys was. Apparently he's in the Astros system now, but he hasn't been in the majors since '06.

Dartgod
04-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Whatever happened to Runelvys Hernandez and Jeremy Affeldt ???
I think we just outright released Hernandez.

Affeldt was traded with Denny Bautista to the Rockies for Shealy and some reliever who got released I believe.

Deberg_1990
04-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I think we just outright released Hernandez.

Affeldt was traded with Denny Bautista to the Rockies for Shealy and some reliever who got released I believe.

Its too bad they never got better. They both had decent stuff.

keg in kc
04-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Elvys was a fat slob. He had minor league deals last year with Boston and the Yankees both but never got back to the majors.

SCTrojan
04-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Did we get Bannister for Burgos?

Yep. Looking like the best trade of the Moore era.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9852282

markk
04-10-2008, 01:18 PM
bannister for burgos is almsot as lopsided as david cone for ed hearne. although i guess burgos has already given the mets more than hearne ever gave the royals.

Reaper16
04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Hochevar looked GREAT in ST. He's probably bored in AAA and disappointed because he performed enough to make the big-league roster.

SithCeNtZ
04-10-2008, 01:46 PM
In only two games. TWO!

How about giving the guy at least 10 more starts to make a determination?

P. Hughes has a ERA of 5.00. Is he a bust?
J. Garland has a ERA of 5.54. Is that a bust as well?
M. Buehrle has a ERA of 8.31. Yep, according to SithCeNtz's bust-a-meter, it's a big bust.

:rolleyes:

Sarcasm...Obviously his line last night was good. Maybe I need to be more obvious :doh!:

Dartgod
04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Sarcasm...Obviously his line last night was good. Maybe I need to be more obvious :doh!:
Sorry I missed it. I'm usually better at spotting sarcasm.

Coach
04-10-2008, 03:40 PM

Heh, I didn't detect any sarcasm in there. It's all good now.

keg in kc
04-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I guess that means I'm the only one with a fully-operable sarcasmometron.

"Bob" Dobbs
04-10-2008, 03:50 PM
The interesting scenario is 2-3 years from now. What if the Royals & the Chiefs get good at the same time? Dare to dream.

ChiTown
04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
I guess that means I'm the only one with a fully-operable sarcasmometron.

I have an older model - getting replacement parts is a bitch.........

Kraus
04-10-2008, 04:15 PM
The interesting scenario is 2-3 years from now. What if the Royals & the Chiefs get good at the same time? Dare to dream.

I think that would probably disrupt the space/time continuum and Kansas City would probably explode.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Yep. Looking like the best trade of the Moore era.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9852282

holy crap, that is awesome.