PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Ever Had a Miniature Pinscher?

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I had a min pin as a child from about 4-8 years old and loved that dog like no other pet Ive had. I am looking to buy a min pin puppy and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them. The one I had as a child was already 8 years old when we got him and was very laid back and well mannered. Anyone know where I could pick one up for $100-$150?

ZootedGranny
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I've had a miniature pinscher for 11 years this May. I absolutely love him because he's a lunatic.

I don't have any advice I can think of, other than they will make any attempt possible to escape your yard. For the first few years of his life, mine would scale my 4 foot chain link fence and make a run for it any time I wasn't watching.

A couple years ago my neighbors bought a minpin, and that dog did the same thing. Every morning my neighbor would let him out, and within 5 minutes the dog would be up and over the fence.

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
So you're saying when I let him out to do his business I should keep him on a leash?

ChiTown
04-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Miniature pinscher? Is that code name for taking a small crap?

Chief Chief
04-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Is this a latent thread for gay dwarves, elves, and pygmies?

NTTAWWT

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Miniature pinscher? Is that code name for taking a small crap?
Yes. Thats exactly what it is. Nice job Kreskin.

BigVE
04-10-2008, 03:49 PM
No, but I have a miniature wiener....dog. ;)

The only min-pin's I have been around were psycho mean ankle biters. Not for me.

stlchiefs
04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm sure he wants to kill his parents for letting him live. All things miniature, dwarf and little should be killed.

Signed,

Your Token Board Moran

Mr. Flopnuts
04-10-2008, 03:52 PM
When I get a 2nd dog it will be a min pin.

ZootedGranny
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
So you're saying when I let him out to do his business I should keep him on a leash?

Only if you don't have a fenced in yard. If I was in the yard, or if he even knew I was keeping an eye on him, he wouldn't dare make an escape.

In my case, I try to let him get the most exercise possible. If that means letting him run laps around the backyard, that's fine, but if not I try to take him for frequent walks. Burning off his excess energy was a must, because otherwise he'd be scaling the walls.

Again, you can probaby shape most of his behavior early, but I wanted mine to be untamed for the most part.

Looking at Wikipedia, their entry is pretty on point.

Adept Havelock
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I pinched Bridget the Midget once. Does that count?

Demonpenz
04-10-2008, 04:09 PM
man card please

ChiTown
04-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes. Thats exactly what it is. Nice job Kreskin.

You're welcome, Miss.
:D

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 04:24 PM
man card please
I already have a boxer, but the wife insists on a small dog to keep inside and wanted a Maltese. Out of all the small dogs, min pins are probably one of the "manliest". They are often referred to as "a big dog in a small dog's body" because they will attack dogs 3-4 times their size.

Deberg_1990
04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Dont they bark alot?? My neighbor had one for awhile but got rid of it finally (thank god) because it would bark if the wind blew. and bark..and bark..and bark some more...

and BTW, if you have a dog that small, why would you keep it outside all day and all night???? Whats the point of having a pet if thats all your going to do??

Demonpenz
04-10-2008, 04:28 PM
man card please

MichaelH
04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
man card please

Thank you!

I was in my boss's office today. He had a picture of him and his wife hugging their ankle biter as if it was a kid. I had to chuckle. LMAO

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 04:34 PM

and BTW, if you have a dog that small, why would you keep it outside all day and all night???? Whats the point of having a pet if thats all your going to do??
Who said I was going to keep it outside? I said my wife wants an indoor dog, we already have a boxer that stays outside (except for in extreme hot and cold temps).

Demonpenz
04-10-2008, 04:35 PM
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/rkirby28/stuff/DogPuke.gif

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/rkirby28/stuff/DogPuke.gif
Classy. Kind of funny watching the bitch trying to get away from the puke like she thought it was gross.

Deberg_1990
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Who said I was going to keep it outside?

Didnt mean to imply that for yourself. Sorry. It was meant more as a general question.

Bugeater
04-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Dont they bark alot?? My neighbor had one for awhile but got rid of it finally (thank god) because it would bark if the wind blew. and bark..and bark..and bark some more...

I ****ing hate people that do that, there has been times where I've been working on someone's house and I've had to listen a neighbors worthless little piece of shit dog bark at me all day long. My guess is that they don't think animal purchases thru, and once they realize how much a dog ****s up a house they leave it outside so it's the rest of the neighborhood's problem instead of theirs.

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Didnt mean to imply that for yourself. Sorry. It was meant more as a general question.
Oh, well I havent a clue why someone would keep a little dog outside. I would keep my 80 pound boxer inside if he didnt tear the house apart.

Hammock Parties
04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Get a dog, not a rat.

Wa-Z
04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
man card please

LMAO

They're fun little dogs don't listen to these "machos" :D

tmax63
04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Co-worker of mine called them a Chihuahua on crack. They are fiesty. I have 4 min-pin puppies for sale in the paper right now but I live in CO.

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Get a dog, not a rat.

Well here's the problem. The wife wants a small "toy" sized dog to keep inside. I hate long haired dogs, and dont even really like average - gotta have short. The only toy size short haired dogs I can find are Italian Greyhounds - too expensive, Rat-Terriers - ugly as hell, Chihuahuas - no thanks, Dachshunds - dont like them, or a Min Pin - look cool, short hair, had one as a kid and loved it. If anyone has any other suggestions meeting my criteria I would love to hear them.

Deberg_1990
04-10-2008, 07:08 PM
My guess is that they don't think animal purchases thru, and once they realize how much a dog ****s up a house they leave it outside so it's the rest of the neighborhood's problem instead of theirs.

DING DING DING!! We have a winner!!

Hammock Parties
04-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Well here's the problem. The wife wants a small "toy" sized dog to keep inside.

What about a terrier?

MTG#10
04-10-2008, 07:13 PM
What about a terrier?
Min Pins are terriers...one of the oldest terrier breeds. Im actually considering a Jack Russell...I hate Bostons.

Chiefs_5627
04-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I had a min pin as a child from about 4-8 years old and loved that dog like no other pet Ive had. I am looking to buy a min pin puppy and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them. The one I had as a child was already 8 years old when we got him and was very laid back and well mannered. Anyone know where I could pick one up for $100-$150?

The cheapest ive ever seen one for is $150 and if thats the case you better hope youre the 1st to see the ad. :)

Phobia
04-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I haven't had one but if you're selling, you had better include a case of peanut butter.

Hammock Parties
04-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I haven't had one but if you're selling, you had better include a case of peanut butter.

HEY! That's my joke!!! :cuss:

Phobia
04-10-2008, 10:44 PM
HEY! That's my joke!!! :cuss:

Yeah - it's always about you. I should have known.

cdcox
04-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Dachshunds - dont like them,

You're destined to a dogless funeral.

CHIEF4EVER
04-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I love my Min Pin. I have had her for 7 years now (got her as a pup) and she is the best dog I have ever had. SUPER SMART. Her name is Casey (KC). She goes out on the road with me and took to the big rig without any problems. She loves everyone but will put on the most vicious show of growling and barking at first meeting. I recommend one to anyone.

DeezNutz
04-11-2008, 10:11 PM

For that price, you better make sure you're not buying from a puppy mill. You don't want the problems associated with this. In general, it's tough to buy a pure bred at this price. Think $250-$300 and you'll probably be in the ballpark.

Chiefspants
04-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I think I know where you can get a min pin puppy, I'm pretty sure I know someone selling at least one in the KC area.

sparkky
04-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I have a couple of them.
found a female dumped on the road a year or so ago and she is an angel. she will jump in a strangers lap. she is the best hunter of the two.

the son bought a registered male pup about 4 years ago and then moved out and left him with us. KIDS!! I think he is the anti-christ. he still barks and raises hell with the neighbor he's known all his life. he is the best watch dog of the two.

they both like to hunt and bark quite a bit. they bark at things in the nite sometimes and get the 100 lb. white male doby started. quite the "symphony".

there was a free 4 year old neutered male listed this week in "The Town and Country Leader" paper in Excelsior Springs. that's 3 hours north of Springfield, 25 miles northeast of KCMO.
FYI
LOL

MTG#10
04-12-2008, 09:34 AM
I think I know where you can get a min pin puppy, I'm pretty sure I know someone selling at least one in the KC area.
I dont want one bad enough to drive all the way to KC, but thanks for the reply. :)