PDA

View Full Version : I think I need some research assistance.

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:14 AM
As some of you may know, I write a monthly column for homeowners. Generally I recommend products for projects around the home or teach people how to do projects themselves within my columns.

For next month's column, I want to convince homeowners that maintaining and improving their castle will lead to a more satisfying and contented lifestyle not only in their home-life but professionally as well.

I think I can present my opinions in a well-reasoned manner but I'd like to also reference studies that may have been done on the topic.

I've had this column idea for several months but have been unsuccessful in locating proper resources in many attempts. Any ideas?

Boon
04-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Might try Playboy.

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Might try Playboy.

Can't. Wife stopped renewing my subscription when we had a kid.

Boon
04-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Can't. Wife stopped renewing my subscription when we had a kid.

Tell her there's some really good "home improvement" articles in there.

Deberg_1990
04-12-2008, 12:25 AM
HGTV ??

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:38 AM
HGTV ??

Thanks but no. I'm in search of actual psychological studies of home environment and how it impacts one emotionally.

booger
04-12-2008, 12:39 AM
That's deep man

Boon
04-12-2008, 12:40 AM
No shit.

Deberg_1990
04-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks but no. I'm in search of actual psychological studies of home environment and how it impacts one emotionally.

Dude, guys dont want to read about that emotional sh*t.

Just give us the goods. Tell us how to fix the toilet, install laminate flooring, paint, etc....

booger
04-12-2008, 12:45 AM
. Generally I recommend products for projects around the home or teach people how to do projects themselves within my columns.

Don't you also work on their projects yourself as a contractor?

Now you want to tell them how to do it themselves, for free?

How ya going to make money?

KCChiefsMan
04-12-2008, 12:45 AM
drunk some alcodahol....yea im a durehnkink! dryunk

Boon
04-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Here ya go.....

http://distributistleague.blogspot.com/2007/07/englishmans-house-is-his-castle.html

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Dude, guys dont want to read about that emotional sh*t.

Just give us the goods. Tell us how to fix the toilet, install laminate flooring, paint, etc....

It's not directed towards guys. I have a few different reasons for the article, not the least of which is offering a different twist than what you see or read every day. But I write essentially in exchange for advertising and it's a marketing arm for my construction company.

So, if I tell a potential client that a new kitchen is going to make her happy and successful in her job she's going to think I'm feeding her a line of crap.

But if I tell her a new kitchen is going to make her happy, improve her marriage, make her kids more apt to become successful as adults - and here are the independent studies and research on the topic then maybe I sell a kitchen or two. I know these studies are available. I've seen them referenced in print and on TV more than once. I just can't find them now that I need them.

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Don't you also work on their projects yourself as a contractor?

Now you want to tell them how to do it themselves, for free?

How ya going to make money?

I write the column for a ton of different reasons. I'm invested in my community. If my neighbors take care of their homes then my property value will be maintained and my neighborhood will stay safe for my family.

If my neighbors let their houses fall apart then investors buy all the houses and rent them out. Neighborhood goes to crap and I'm stuck with a worthless property.

My columns are designed to help the people who were never going to hire me anyway. The people who hire contractors like me are going to hire me because they haven't the time, skills, or inclination to do what I do.

booger
04-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Pure geneyoss. Now i see the light. females dig that crap.

Deberg_1990
04-12-2008, 12:54 AM
It's not directed towards guys. I have a few different reasons for the article, not the least of which is offering a different twist than what you see or read every day. But I write essentially in exchange for advertising and it's a marketing arm for my construction company.

So, if I tell a potential client that a new kitchen is going to make her happy and successful in her job she's going to think I'm feeding her a line of crap.

But if I tell her a new kitchen is going to make her happy, improve her marriage, make her kids more apt to become successful as adults - and here are the independent studies and research on the topic then maybe I sell a kitchen or two. I know these studies are available. I've seen them referenced in print and on TV more than once. I just can't find them now that I need them.

I was just givin ya hard time...

It actually sounds like a very cool idea.

booger
04-12-2008, 12:55 AM
I write the column for a ton of different reasons. I'm invested in my community. If my neighbors take care of their homes then my property value will be maintained and my neighborhood will stay safe for my family.

If my neighbors let their houses fall apart then investors buy all the houses and rent them out. Neighborhood goes to crap and I'm stuck with a worthless property.

My columns are designed to help the people who were never going to hire me anyway. The people who hire contractors like me are going to hire me because they haven't the time, skills, or inclination to do what I do.

I gotcha.

Deberg_1990
04-12-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm invested in my community. If my neighbors take care of their homes then my property value will be maintained and my neighborhood will stay safe for my family.

Your alot smarter than you look. :)

Phobia
04-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Your alot smarter than you look. :)

Not really. I did what you're not supposed to do.... I bought the most expensive house in the neighborhood and then I sank about $40k into renovations. So, I'm either going to have to live here a very long time, find a sucker who doesn't care about comps, or lose my shirt when I finally sell.

Phobia
04-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Okay - where are all the smart people?

milkman
04-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Okay - where are all the smart people?

Over at WPI.....duh...

NewChief
04-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Most of the articles we read on such things are about downsizing and simplifying leading to happiness, but you might find some stuff here:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/main/search?q=articles+on+happiness

We read this site pretty religiously. It's pretty niche, as it's about living in small spaces, but it likely has some quotes you can use about living in a well-maintained place that reflects your personality versus constantly trying to upgrade to something larger and newer.

Skip Towne
04-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Call the psychology department at KU and find out how to search for the studies you want. Chances are good somebody has done a Masters thesis on it. (See how I cleverly turned this into a Jayhawk thead?)

Bowser
04-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Heh. All this sounds vaguely familiar.

I guess the question is this - what comes first, the downtrodden property, or the lack of pride?

Phobia
04-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Heh. All this sounds vaguely familiar.

I guess the question is this - what comes first, the downtrodden property, or the lack of pride?

Marriage.

NewChief
04-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Call the psychology department at KU and find out how to search for the studies you want. Chances are good somebody has done a Masters thesis on it. (See how I cleverly turned this into a Jayhawk thead?)

I will agree with Skip that for real academic articles, you need access to academic databases like FirstSearch, WorldCat, Lexis/Nexis, etc...

You realize that google is not the end all and be all of research when you start trying to really dig deeply into a topic in a meaningful way.

Phobia
04-12-2008, 11:47 AM
It's not? That's no good.

Bowser
04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Marriage.

True. As soon as everybody leaves the reception, you get the feeling of being ****ed.

NewChief
04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Other "articles":
http://www.remodelmyhome.com/why_remodel.htm
http://books.google.com/books?id=L9zOBiSOIYEC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=why+remodel&source=web&ots=avKy0bM0_j&sig=GJ_-GtiuItt2FdGr59TQ9A5sE7w&hl=en
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/renoho/beyore/index.cfm
http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publish/reno/renovations_why.php
http://www.texashomerenovators.com/why_renovate.htm

Chief Chief
04-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Might wanna read up on feng shui.

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Might wanna read up on feng shui.

I have but as soon as you mention feng shui to most people their eyes glaze over. It's a cultural thing and feng shui hasn't been widely accepted in my experience - at least not yet in the midwest.

I'd rather deal in Western studies until I can crack that nut and then maybe we'll throw a little feng shui into the mix.

Stewie
04-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Interior decorator?

I have a colleague that was selling his house and had an interior decorator come over and "stage" his house to impress prospective buyers. When she was done his wife said she didn't want to move because it was such an improvement (with very little cost for materials). There are people who have an eye, or understanding, of things that work in the home.

Phobia
04-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Interior decorator?

I have a colleague that was selling his house and had an interior decorator come over and "stage" his house to impress prospective buyers. When she was done his wife said she didn't want to move because it was such an improvement (with very little cost for materials). There are people who have an eye, or understanding, of things that work in the home.

Heh. I actually fancy myself a designer primarily and a builder second.