PDA

View Full Version : Dorsey has ability; what about health?

Tribal Warfare
04-15-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/329/story/582487.html

Dorsey has ability; what about health?

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey has a leg up on most players in this year's draft. But it is his right leg that is NFL teams' sole concern.

Dorsey injured his right tibia before his junior season, and it never healed properly. An NFL team doctor said Dorsey's back, an ankle and a knee also provide questions about how long Dorsey will last.

But there is no question about Dorsey's ability.

"Love Dorsey as a player," said Billy Devaney, the St. Louis Rams' executive vice president of player personnel. "I think he's an impact guy; he's an every-down guy, first, second and third. He elevates people around him. He has a passion for the game, his work ethic... The guy's going to be a great pro."

Dorsey finished his four-year career with 179 tackles and 13 sacks, including 69 and seven last season when he won the Nagurski (top defensive player), Lombardi (top lineman), Outland (top interior lineman) and Lott (top defensive impact player) awards. He also helped the Tigers win the national championship.

"The national championship is the ultimate award, so I feel like I have achieved everything I wanted to," he said.

He is one of six players invited to New York on draft day. Two other defensive linemen -- Virginia's Chris Long and Ohio State's Vernon Gholston -- will join him. Dorsey might be the best player there.

"I saw him last year at his best against Notre Dame when he was healthy, and he's a force," Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian said. "He can do it all. He can stop the run; he can rush the passer; he can beat you one-on-one. I'm not sure there are many people who can win a battle one-on-one against him in pass protection."

Dorsey never missed a game during his four seasons, something he uses to defend himself whenever the medical questions arise. As long as team doctors concur, he will be a top-five choice.

"You want to love the kid, because he's a warrior and played hurt," said Mike Mayock, a draft analyst for NFL Network. "But you better make sure you're not buying damaged goods, and I'm not saying they are. I'm just saying you better be sure."

Overview

Juniors make this position rich in elite prospects. Eight defensive linemen could go in the first round, led by Virginia defensive end Chris Long and LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. They are two of the four prospects believed to be on Miami's list for the top pick. Defensive tackle lacks in depth, but defensive ends are plentiful.

Cowboys' needs

The Cowboys certainly were hoping for more out of end Marcus Spears when they made him a first-round pick in 2005. He has only 4.5 sacks in his three-year career. End Chris Canty has been as good as the Cowboys had hoped with 43 tackles, 3.5 sacks and five pressures last season. Dallas has high hopes for backup defensive end Jason Hatcher, who had 27 tackles, two sacks and nine pressures in his second season. Jay Ratliff was a pleasant surprise at nose tackle in place of Jason Ferguson, who tore his right biceps in the opener and was later traded to Miami.

Top 5

Chris Long, Virginia, DE, 6-3, 272, 4.75: He reminds everyone of his father, Howie, after making 21 sacks in his career, including 14 last season.

Glenn Dorsey, LSU, DT, 6-1, 297, 5.10: Dorsey might be the top prospect, but he has medical concerns that could affect his long-term durability.

Vernon Gholston, Ohio State, DE, 6-3, 266, 4.65: Gholston was inconsistent, but he is an explosive pass rusher and a top-10 pick.

Sedrick Ellis, Southern Cal, DT, 6-4, 309, 5.32: He is a top-10 talent after making 17.5 sacks in his career.

Derrick Harvey, Florida, DE, 6-5, 271, 4.84: He is rated higher than former teammate Jarvis Moss, the 17th overall pick last season.

Sleeper

Brian Johnston, Gardner-Webb, DE, 6-5, 274, 4.68: He compares to Green Bay Packers end Aaron Kampman, who also wasn't invited to the combine.

Notable: 10 minutes to

make a selection in Round 1,

7 minutes in Round 2 and

5 minutes in Rounds 3-7

Texas ties

Red Bryant, Texas A&M, DT, 6-4, 318, 5.00: He has quickness (4.9 in the 40 at his pro day) and experience (41 starts). Could be second-round pick.

Chris Harrington, Texas A&M, DE, 6-5, 264, 4.84: Work ethic, quickness off snap project him as fifth-rounder.

Tommy Blake, TCU, DE, 6-3, 272, 4.78: Blake might have been a first-rounder after his junior season. Has fallen since taking two medical leaves.

Kenny Iwebema, Iowa, DE, 6-4, 274, 4.91: The Arlington Bowie product had a so-so combine, which will keep him from being drafted earlier.

Chase Ortiz, TCU, DE, 6-2, 249, 4.90: A DE/OLB tweener, should be drafted late after 38 starts the past three seasons.

Source: Heights, weights and 40 times were compiled from NFL Draft Scout.

Cowboys' picks

Round Pick Overall
First 22 22
First 28 28
Second 30 61
Third 29 92
Fourth 27 126
Fifth 28 163
Sixth 1 167
Seventh 28 235
Draft order

1. Miami

2. St. Louis

3. Atlanta

4. Oakland

5. Kansas City

6. New York Jets

7. New England

8. Baltimore

9. Cincinnati

10. New Orleans

11. Buffalo

12. Denver

13. Carolina

14. Chicago

15. Detroit

16. Arizona

17. Minnesota

18. Houston

19. Philadelphia

20. Tampa Bay

21. Washington

22. Dallas

23. Pittsburgh

24. Tennessee

25. Seattle

26. Jacksonville

27. San Diego

28. Dallas

29. San Francisco

30. Green Bay

31. New York Giants

Note: New England forfeited original 31st pick

NFL Draft

April 26-27

Radio City Music Hall, NY

TV: April 26 (Rounds 1-2), ESPN 2-7 p.m., ESPN2 7-10 p.m., NFL Network, 2-10 p.m.; April 27 (Rounds 3-7), ESPN, NFL Network, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.