PDA

View Full Version : How Far Does the Front Office Look Ahead?

HolyHandgernade
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't think there's enough help out there to keep us from drafting in the top 5 again next year, assuming the Chiefs might know this as well (that could be a big assumption), do you make your picks with an eye on what might be available next year? For example, do you pass on QB Ryan with the thought you may have a shot to draft a QB high next year, thus gaining another year to evaluate Croyle? Do you determine how many OL's you take high in the draft on the same presumptions?

-HH

stlchiefs
04-15-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't think there's enough help out there to keep us from drafting in the top 5 again next year, assuming the Chiefs might know this as well (that could be a big assumption), do you make your picks with an eye on what might be available next year? For example, do you pass on QB Ryan with the thought you may have a shot to draft a QB high next year, thus gaining another year to evaluate Croyle? Do you determine how many OL's you take high in the draft on the same presumptions?

-HH

I think so. Personally that would be my strategy. Concentrate on the lines and give Croyle as year as the starter. If he bombs we go QB w/ an early 1st round pick next year. If he does ok, we didn't waste a pick on another QB and hopefully have an improving o and d line.

tyton75
04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I think any team would HAVE to take every consideration in regards to the draft... but as for taking a QB... IF they are even considering it, its hard to pass up on first choice of QB in THIS draft, instead of playing roulette about next years class.. etc

SBK
04-15-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm sure they're looking out quite a ways actually. If you know that the class next year, or the year after is LOADED with something you may look for something different now.

This would go for the later rounds I would think, in the top 5 you take the best player available today.

Hoover
They don't look far enough ahead if you ask me. How else can you explain not drafting an offensive lineman in the first three rounds of the draft for the past 9 years.

Talk about asleep at the wheel.

dj56dt58
I think most teams look at the coming season..If you make the right pick you could make the playoffs and not have a good draft pick next season. How many teams have we seen that are horrible one year and make the playoffs the next? Quite a few..

Mecca
04-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I think so. Personally that would be my strategy. Concentrate on the lines and give Croyle as year as the starter. If he bombs we go QB w/ an early 1st round pick next year. If he does ok, we didn't waste a pick on another QB and hopefully have an improving o and d line.

You do understand that next years QB class is worse right?

Old Dog
04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I would say most NFL franchises would look at least a couple of years into the future. That said, the Chiefs are probably looking forward to........I don't know probably next Tuesday or Wednesday????

stlchiefs
04-15-2008, 02:37 PM
You do understand that next years QB class is worse right?

I know a few guys that have been mentioned, but don't have time to follow both the pro and college games. Who is being talked about for next year?

StcChief
04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure they look past current year.

if they can get "no-names" from Div 1-AA or Div 2/3 schools and hope they are diamonds in the Rough (See Jared Allen).....

They are and always have been cheeeeeeeep...... Football in Kc on a walmart approach. Much like the Royals.

A few fan favos. Gonzo, DT etc over the years, but really it 's butts in the seats approach.

Old Dog
04-15-2008, 02:48 PM
I know a few guys that have been mentioned, but don't have time to follow both the pro and college games. Who is being talked about for next year?

Matthew Stafford, Georgia (Jr)
Curtis Painter, Purdue
Sam Bradford, Oklahoma (So)
Tim Tebow, Florida (Jr)
Cullen Harper, Clemson
That kid from Missouri....

are a few

Zouk
04-15-2008, 02:56 PM
On the Soren Petro podcast a couple of weeks ago Herm said that they review the next year's prospects with the area scouts before the draft each year so they know what's in the pipeline. He implied this was a reason they went heavy at defensive tackle last year and passed on corners and offensive linemen - they projected this year would be strong at CB and OL, and relatively weak on DT. I'd say that was a great call.

BigRock
04-15-2008, 02:57 PM
^^ I heard that too.

Hoover
04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
On the Soren Petro podcast a couple of weeks ago Herm said that they review the next year's prospects with the area scouts before the draft each year so they know what's in the pipeline. He implied this was a reason they went heavy at defensive tackle last year and passed on corners and offensive linemen - they projected this year would be strong at CB and OL, and relatively weak on DT. I'd say that was a great call.
But people here think we should still go DT

Zouk
04-15-2008, 03:01 PM
On the original post - I think it's safe to say that Herm and Carl aren't projecting that they would be involved in the draft next year if we're bottom 5 again.

Mecca
04-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Because they are picking high enough to get one of the 2 elite ones?

Zouk
04-15-2008, 03:02 PM

There's 2 good DT in the top 10, but it's weak depth-wise. That's what Herm was talking about - what's available throughout the whole draft.

beach tribe
04-15-2008, 03:37 PM

Dude, don't listen to them. Nobody will know shit about the draft class until after they play their final college season. Personally I THINK it will be similar to this one with the top prospect being way better than any in this draft.(TeBow)

beach tribe
04-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Because they are picking high enough to get one of the 2 elite ones?

Yup. Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme Ellis, or Dorsey please.

keg in kc
04-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I would think every team does this, and not just with draft picks, but with likely free agents.