PDA

View Full Version : So if Allen is traded to Minny for 1st and 3rd....

KevB
04-17-2008, 11:23 AM
#1: Gholston
#17: Chris Williams
#35: Brandon Flowers
#66: Jordy Nelson
#82: Eric Young (OL)

Sound reasonable? Just thought I get a thread started in case the trade goes down.

DaKCMan AP
04-17-2008, 11:24 AM
No. You still target who you'd target with the 1st pick. Losing Jared Allen doesn't change the fact that Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long, Jake Long or Sedrick Ellis are better selections at #5 than Vernon Gholston.

88TG88
04-17-2008, 11:25 AM
No. You still target who you'd target with the 1st pick. Losing Jared Allen doesn't change the fact that Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long, Jake Long or Sedrick Ellis are better selections at #5 than Vernon Gholston.

yes

stlchiefs
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
It'd be nice to get Chris Long if we lose JA.

CupidStunt
04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
You take the DL or Jake Long at five. You take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE at No. 17, be it a CB, OL or WR, whatever. And then you do that again with every other pick. If Allen's gone, this team is rebuilding for the LONG HAUL.

suds79
04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Man this whole Jared Allen thing still sucks.

I'd rather have Dorsey or Ellis over Gohlston

Direckshun
04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I still think the only player worth more than Gholston is Ellis.

I think it's becoming more and more obvious to me that Herm doesn't want Dorsey because Herm's two highest picks prior to this Draft selected incredibly talented players with prior injuries and they both got injured.

suds79
04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
I still think the only player worth more than Gholston is Ellis.

I think it's becoming more and more obvious to me that Herm doesn't want Dorsey because Herm's two highest picks prior to this Draft selected incredibly talented players with prior injuries and they both got injured.

I just hope we don't fall into the trap of passing on more talented players due to injury questions.

Remember how John Henderson was widely regarded as the best DT coming out but then there were back issues?... We took Ryan Sims instead and the rest is history.

Hoover
04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Just say no

to Gohlston

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm pretty confident that we will take Dorsey or Ryan at 5 and then take the best available OT at 17/20 (Otah, Williams, Clady).

Direckshun
04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
After thinking about this for a while, it would not surprise me to see our two first rounders end up being DL.

Dorsey/Ellis at 5 and Merling/Harvey at 17/18.

But we all know Herm is targeting Otah or Albert, and they'll probably be the later pick.

What do we do for DE, then, needing essentially two slots filled for a total DE rotation? Pray that Groves or Jackson fall to our second rounder?

The DE class here is pretty blah. The only DEs I'm real interested in early in the Draft are the big guys: Long, Gholston, Merling, Harvey, Groves, and Jackson. After that, this doesn't seem like a great time to have traded away our best player at a thin position.

DaKCMan AP
04-17-2008, 12:07 PM
After thinking about this for a while, it would not surprise me to see our two first rounders end up being DL.

Dorsey/Ellis at 5 and Merling/Harvey at 17/18.

But we all know Herm is targeting Otah or Albert, and they'll probably be the later pick.

What do we do for DE, then, needing essentially two slots filled for a total DE rotation? Pray that Groves or Jackson fall to our second rounder?

The DE class here is pretty blah. The only DEs I'm real interested in early in the Draft are the big guys: Long, Gholston, Merling, Harvey, Groves, and Jackson. After that, this doesn't seem like a great time to have traded away our best player at a thin position.

IMO, we'd have to trade up to get Harvey. I don't see him lasting to #17.

Direckshun
04-17-2008, 12:09 PM
IMO, we'd have to trade up to get Harvey. I don't see him lasting to #17.
:homer:

DaKCMan AP
04-17-2008, 12:13 PM
:homer:

Whatever. There have been reports that the Lions at #15 will take Harvey if he's available.

Direckshun
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
If the Lions had half a brain they'd Draft Mendenhall.

DaKCMan AP
04-17-2008, 12:19 PM
If the Lions had half a brain they'd Draft Mendenhall.

We all know that they don't, and reportedly they have Jonathan Stewart rated above Mendenhall.

BigChiefFan
04-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Sedrick Ellis and Chris Williams sounds pretty damn good to me.

Micjones
04-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Sedrick Ellis and Chris Williams sounds pretty damn good to me.

Especially followed by Flowers, Nelson and Young.

the Talking Can
04-17-2008, 01:25 PM

bingo

plus we'll have a top 5 pick next year....no reason to reach for anyone....

the Talking Can
04-17-2008, 01:30 PM
1 of these 3 will be there:

Ellis
Long (DE)
Ryan

KevB
04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
bingo

plus we'll have a top 5 pick next year....no reason to reach for anyone....

I don't disagree, but Gholston isn't a reach. I'd be all for Dorsey or Ellis as well. Bottom line is I'd prefer one of the top linemen at 5 instead of Ryan.

the Talking Can
04-17-2008, 01:33 PM
I don't disagree, but Gholston isn't a reach. I'd be all for Dorsey or Ellis as well. Bottom line is I'd prefer one of the top linemen at 5 instead of Ryan.

sure, just personal preference...

HolmeZz
04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I like Gholston, but think it's retarded to spend the 5th overall pick to fill a hole you just traded away.

KevB
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I like Gholston, but think it's retarded to spend the 5th overall pick to fill a hole you just traded away.

Why? You'd fill the hole with a comparable (cross fingers) player, and you get the 17th pick to fill another hole (OL, DB, WR). Sounds reasonable to me.

JBucc
04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
My board would still be the same.
Dorsey
C. Long
Ellis
Ryan

One of them will be there. Jake Long would be great sure but he's probably the only player with 0 chance to fall.

Bowser
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm guessing that if we traded Allen that Tamba would take the right DE position on the line, and we'd fill the left side with Turk/rookie/some other turd. I'm betting some other turd.

HolmeZz
04-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Why? You'd fill the hole with a comparable (cross fingers) player, and you get the 17th pick to fill another hole (OL, DB, WR). Sounds reasonable to me.

Because you're crossing your fingers that Gholston = Allen, when you already had Allen. Now you're wasting that #5 pick trying to replace the guy you just traded, instead of using it to fill the hole you're talking about filling at 17(when you'll get a much lesser player).

melbar
04-17-2008, 06:49 PM

Most people do see him as a 3-4 hybrid type. Not an every down type guy.

Shaid
04-17-2008, 06:55 PM
It'd be nice to get Chris Long if we lose JA.

Couldn't agree more.

OnTheWarpath15
04-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Wow.

Just got home and saw the "news."

Just had this conversation with a friend, who's pissed we're even thinking about trading Jared Allen.

Until I mentioned that 3 picks in the first 35 should do much more for this team than Allen alone ever would.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Wow.

Just got home and saw the "news."

Just had this conversation with a friend, who's pissed we're even thinking about trading Jared Allen.

Until I mentioned that 3 picks in the first 35 should do much more for this team than Allen alone ever would.

Logic like this is not to be tolerated, we should just ignore Allens immaturity and off the field problems because people like him for some reason......

JBucc
04-17-2008, 07:11 PM
There's a guy on another board saying one of the KC stations reported Minnesota has offered a 1st and 3rd this year and a conditional pick next year as high as a 2nd rounder.

I would take that shit fast.

Chiefnj2
04-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Logic like this is not to be tolerated, we should just ignore Allens immaturity and off the field problems because people like him for some reason......

Since you think the picks are better than a pro bowl player, lets bet. If the draft picks from Allen make the pro bowl next year- you win. If they don't I win. What do you want to wager?

Tribal Warfare
04-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Minnesota has offered a 1st and 3rd this year and a conditional pick next year as high as a 2nd rounder.

I would take that shit fast.

F*CK that make that a 1st round pick next year then it's good to go.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Since you think the picks are better than a pro bowl player, lets bet. If the draft picks from Allen make the pro bowl next year- you win. If they don't I win. What do you want to wager?

Are we betting if they get DWI's also?

The Franchise
04-17-2008, 07:15 PM
F*CK that make that a 1st round pick next year then it's good to go.

I'd make the conditional a 1st round next year if he gets over 10 sacks.

Chiefnj2
04-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Are we betting if they get DWI's also?

Sure. If you want a separate bet that you think Jared will get another DWI this year, I'll take it.

OnTheWarpath15
04-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Why do they have to be PB players THIS year?

If any of the three EVER made the PB, it would be the same amount of times as Allen.

Chiefnj2
04-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Why do they have to be PB players THIS year?

If any of the three EVER made the PB, it would be the same amount of times as Allen.

Because it is no fun pushing a wager 6 years off into the future.

Mecca
04-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Cause see only right now matters, it doesn't matter that the Chiefs are rebuilding it only matters what happens next year!

HolmeZz
04-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Uh, we already had 2 of those first 35 picks, and the likelihood of that 3rd pick being anywhere near as good as Allen isn't very high. :p

OnTheWarpath15
04-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Because it is no fun pushing a wager 6 years off into the future.

Or because it all but guarantees you victory......

Chiefnj2
04-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Cause see only right now matters, it doesn't matter that the Chiefs are rebuilding it only matters what happens next year!

We'll have the option to renew the bet at the end of next year. Do you want to take it or not?

OnTheWarpath15
04-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Uh, we already had 2 of those first 35 picks, and the likelihood of that 3rd pick being anywhere near as good as Allen isn't very high. :p

Fair enough.

Though considering the likelihood of them using that exact pick to draft Allen's replacement, it's be hard to compare their contibutions to the team.

KevB
04-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Because you're crossing your fingers that Gholston = Allen, when you already had Allen. Now you're wasting that #5 pick trying to replace the guy you just traded, instead of using it to fill the hole you're talking about filling at 17(when you'll get a much lesser player).

I'm not arguing for the trade to happen, I'm simply saying that if it happens, it's conceivable the BPA at #5 is a DE (Gholston or Long). I like the idea of getting another 1st rounder, but I have little confidence that the Chiefs would capitalize. Thus, I'm mostly against the trade.

Mizzou_8541
04-17-2008, 07:52 PM

touche'

dj56dt58
04-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Nobody..we should never draft anyone again..because if their worth a shit they'll want money, and that's something CP isnt willing to give. We should never draft or sign anyone again and when our current roster all retires just say **** it and end the ****ing misery

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Gholston was badmouthed by the TV guys saying he doesn't play hard.

Anti Jared Allen.

buddha
04-18-2008, 11:43 PM

Funny, I missed the pro bowl that Allen went to as a rookie?

You don't make this deal for NEXT year. You do it with a longer view...hopefully.