PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dean - Chiefs should move on without Allen

Hammock Parties
04-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Topher Dean popped in for a rare offseason column weighing in on Jared Allen. I think you Allen haters will enjoy this.

http://kan.scout.com/2/747650.html

It’s not often a disruptive force such as Jared Allen, who led the league in sacks a year ago and is entering the prime of his career, is the subject of so many heated trade talks.

The operative word there is “disruptive.” At this point Allen is more disruptive towards his own team than to opposing offenses. Had the Chiefs actually won half their games a year ago this probably wouldn’t be an issue. However, even though Allen wreaked havoc in opposing backfields and caught touchdown passes, Kansas City could only muster four wins, the last of which came in October.

Just because Allen wasn’t proposing to cheerleaders or performing CPR on the football after scores doesn’t make him any different than another disruptive force – Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3661620). Both are unhappy playing for below-average franchises and are at odds with management. The only difference is what Allen can garner in the form of draft picks.

Great teams build through the draft. Teams that do it through free agency are typically nothing more than good. The Chiefs haven’t been great for 39 years. Carl Peterson built a foundation of mediocrity that provided an unparalleled mark of consistency - consistently good, never great.

Trading Allen might present the opportunity to get over that hump.

If the Chiefs don’t deal Allen they are still in a position to have a tremendous draft. The question for fans is this: do you really want someone playing for your team who has made it abundantly clear he is unhappy? While he may be a game-changer, was Allen really single-handedly responsible for any of those astronomical four wins a year ago?

Allen’s loyalty has been compromised. There is no room for someone like that on a team in rebuilding mode.

With Allen’s troubled past, the Chiefs have a no-brainer on their hands - sell high. The simple fact is with repeat DUI offenders, the likelihood they commit a crime again grows exponentially with each subsequent offense.

Does this mean Allen will do so? No, but if he doesn’t steer clear, a trade would be the greatest steal since the Herschel Walker deal. If Allen walks the straight and narrow, makes Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl with the Vikings and builds a Hall of Fame resume, good for him. He’s only human and has the inherent right to pursue happiness.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, have an opportunity to build on one of the most lucrative draft classes in NFL history with speculation that if Allen is dealt, they could have as many as nine first-day picks. That sort of foundation can weather an F5 tornado.

If you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m all for shipping him out of Kansas City if the price is right. I wasn’t so keen to the idea, however, when the news first broke. But I now believe Peterson is attempting to change his ways.

He sees Jared Allen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698843)’s malcontent as an opportunity rather than a burden – a chance to roll the dice and go for broke, because this is, in all honesty, is a team with nothing to lose. The Chiefs have zero expectations to make any waves in 2008 and would be fortunate to go 8-8.

It saddens me to say it, but Saturday’s draft could actually be the high point for Chiefs fans this year. If the draft goes well, Kansas City could realistically compete for a division title as early as 2009.

This is a rebuilding year. There is no reason to sugar-coat it with a despondent Jared Allen when the roster could otherwise welcome two promising young prospects who actually want to be in Kansas City.

OnTheWarpath15
04-18-2008, 07:59 PM
How in the hell are we going to get NINE picks on Day One?

Hammock Parties
04-18-2008, 08:01 PM

I don't quite understand that myself. You'll have to ask Chris. Not sure if he posts here.

The Franchise
04-18-2008, 08:02 PM

I'm assuming that he still thinks that the 3rd round is still part of the first day.

OnTheWarpath15
04-18-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm assuming that he still thinks that the 3rd round is still part of the first day.

Even then, we'd have to get 6 picks out of the deal to reach 9.

He had to have meant 5.

The Franchise
04-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Even then, we'd have to get 6 picks out of the deal to reach 9.

He had to have meant 5.

Maybe he thinks we get compensatory picks because our FO sucks.......

Mr. Laz
04-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Dean needs to shut his dumb ass up

DTLB58
04-18-2008, 08:41 PM

Yea, I caught that right away. Was the editor on lunch or wtf???

keg in kc
04-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Yea, I caught that right away. Was the editor on lunch or wtf???Editor?

This is WPI we're talking about...

Hammock Parties
04-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Editor?

This is WPI we're talking about...

Warpaint is a bastion of flawless editing.

Skip Towne
04-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Warpaint is a total piece of shit
Fixed it

greg63
04-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Fixed it

LMAO

greg63
04-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Dean needs to shut his dumb ass up

Absolutely!

btlook1
04-19-2008, 01:18 AM
I think Allen is a great player however what if we trade him then draft the future sack leader of the NFL? We draft Jared's replacement plus 2 of the starting OL that we need and just when we all gel it comes together in about 2 yrs....No one will be complaining then!
I dont' want to see Jared go either but think about what we could get with another 1st and 3rd this year....

blueballs
04-19-2008, 01:35 AM
TRENT GREEN

scrambled brain

Miami's #1 of the 5th round